Author Topic: Which budget/mid-range AWG?  (Read 689 times)

Offline GiallograleTopic starter

Which budget/mid-range AWG?
« on: March 08, 2024, 05:34:27 pm »
I'm a hobbyist looking for my first, preferably 2-channel waveform generator to use with my oscilloscope which will probably be the Siglent SDS804X HD.

It's principally for use with audio circuits. The ability to connect it to the SDS804X for Bode Plots looks like a plus; there is software on Github which offers this for some non-Siglent AWGs and looks as though it could be extended to the Uni-T or others.

I'm on Linux and happy to use my laptop also if it's useful for data analysis - in fact I'd probably prefer it for keeping things organised. Although I'd prefer not to have to use Windows software too much.

Devices I'm considering (prices are ex-Vat) include:
  • Uni-T UTG962E ~€140 14-bit 2-channels
    Siglent SAG1021I ~€140 14-bit 1-channel
    Rigol DG812~€240 16-bit 2-channel
    Siglent SDG1032-X ~€290 14-bit 2-channels

The Uni-T looks like a lot of bang for the buck and probably fine for my purposes. The Siglent looks like an easier match with a Siglent oscilloscope, and a better unit overall which will probably do me indefinitely. It's at the top of my budget.

I'm open to any other suggestions and I'd appreciate your comments or thoughts on the choice.

Only other question is - all these units are quite a few years old - is there any likelihood that they will be updated anytime soon?

Thanks!

John

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Which budget/mid-range AWG?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 10:05:34 am »
You might want to consider what the support is like for the products you're looking at as well.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline artur0089

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 07:36:55 pm »
It's principally for use with audio circuits.
The noise level of budget oscilloscopes and generators at a voltage of 1 Volt is -65 dB.
Maybe it's better to use a good external sound card for PC and software (SpectraPLUS or RMAA)?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 07:42:10 pm by artur0089 »

Offline GiallograleTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 05:47:52 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

I have a Motu M2 DAC (-110dB noise, up to 192KHz) which I used with REW to measure my speakers so I'm familiar with it.

Would REW's square and sine waves from the Macbook be good enough for this? I think some people still use an external signal generator for this.

Are there any disadvantages or limitations I should be aware of? I think the usable bandwidth will be limited to around 44kHZ by the DAC.

Offline TomWinTejas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 06:12:52 am »
I'm a complete newbie, so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe if you pair a Siglent AWG with your Siglent scope that Bode plots will be easier to generate if that's important to you. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf