Author Topic: Which oscilloscope for hobbyist?  (Read 55838 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Which oscilloscope for hobbyist?
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2015, 08:43:22 am »
Will I be able to see switch bounce noise?
Yes.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2015, 10:50:57 am »
Now that my DS1054z is in transit, I realized I forgot to ask as important question: what sort of transient response should I expect from a digital oscilloscope?

Unless you have exotic applications (e.g. photon counting), everything is analogue[1]. Digital circuits merely interpret analogue signals in a quantised fashion - usually but not always binary.

The principal measure of a scope's performance is the bandwidth of its analogue front end measured in Hz, which includes amplifiers, filters and (where appropriate) sampler. The number of samples per second is, to a large extent, a marketing tool.

Yes, I do realise that one of the fundamental limitations on shrinking transistors is that they get too small to contain "enough" electrons at any instant - and so their operation becomes probabilistic.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline gojimmypiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2015, 08:42:51 pm »
thanks for the replies on transient response. although the timestamps don't show it, I woke up at 2:00am (!) with a sudden thought of not just reconstructing waveforms, but what happens with the unexpected glitch and how a digital oscilloscope might handle those noise spikes. I ended up finding and reading this article:

Sin(x)/x interpolation: an important aspect of proper oscilloscope measurements
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1272526

Well, the new scope should arrive tomorrow... I'm anxiously awaiting a chance to take it for a test drive! I'm interested in any suggestions on tests for proper operation. thanks!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2015, 08:51:49 pm »

It is and it isn't.
With a fast enough sampling rate Dot mode is more accurate.

Well, the new scope should arrive tomorrow... I'm anxiously awaiting a chance to take it for a test drive! I'm interested in any suggestions on tests for proper operation. thanks!

Let's hope you made the right decision.  :-\

See if you can add to this list:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-series-(ds1054z-ds1074z-ds1104z-and-s-models)-bugswish-list/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2015, 08:58:51 pm »
One feature of the 1054z that I really like is the "Pass-Fail" mask function. You can display a waveform, and generate a mask and squeeze it down so that it narrowly bounds the waveform, then "stop on fail" and any glitch that causes the waveform to exceed the boundary of the mask will stop the scope and save the glitch on screen.

For example:

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:03:22 pm by alsetalokin4017 »
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2015, 09:10:44 pm »
One feature of the 1054z that I really like is the "Pass-Fail" mask function. You can display a waveform, and generate a mask and squeeze it down so that it narrowly bounds the waveform, then "stop on fail" and any glitch that causes the waveform to exceed the boundary of the mask will stop the scope and save the glitch on screen.

The DS1000 series mask performance is quite poor as rf-loop states here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/evaluating-oscilloscopes-for-best-waveform-update-rates/msg737860/#msg737860
BTW, he has one and has tested it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2015, 09:19:46 pm »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/evaluating-oscilloscopes-for-best-waveform-update-rates/msg737860/#msg737860

Well.... since I _want_ the scope to stop when it sees a glitch, I don't see the problem that rf-loop is complaining about. As I show in the video above, it works as I want it to work. YMMV of course.  It's a 400 dollar, low bandwidth scope. What does rf-loop expect for that price and performance level? The Siglent SDS2000 that he compares it to costs more than twice as much and its display doesn't look nearly as nice.

Offline gojimmypiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2015, 11:30:52 pm »
One feature of the 1054z that I really like is the "Pass-Fail" mask function. You can display a waveform...

That's cool; How did you get such a crisp video of your 1054z screen?

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #83 on: October 21, 2015, 05:05:38 am »

The article is 6 years old and from a time where cheap entry-level scopes didn't necessarily have sin(x)/x interpolation, but these days I doubt you'll find many that don't have it. Of course the basics discussed are still correct, but it fails to show the limitations of sin(x)/x, as certain conditions need to be met for it to produce a valid waveform.

Here's an (also older but still valid) paper discussing the limitations of interpolation:
http://cdn.teledynelecroy.com/files/whitepapers/wp_interpolation_102203.pdf
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 05:21:56 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2015, 07:24:08 am »
One feature of the 1054z that I really like is the "Pass-Fail" mask function. You can display a waveform...

That's cool; How did you get such a crisp video of your 1054z screen?

You're kidding, right? My old Panasonic video camera and the various transcoding and compressions used give me a pretty fuzzy video picture, not at all as nice as Dave's videos or others from more modern kit.
Oh... maybe you mean the screenshots toward the end of the video. Those are made by sticking a USB stick in the scope's hole and pressing the "print" button (under the Help button) which saves the screen as a .png (or .jpg) file to the stick. Then I insert the saved images into the video using the OpenShot nonlinear video editor on my Linux computer.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2015, 09:46:00 am »

Well.... since I _want_ the scope to stop when it sees a glitch, I don't see the problem that rf-loop is complaining about.

It works ok IF you use it as you told. But, if example want counter for pass and fail you can not trust at all this pass/fail ratio.
This is just as "know your equipment limits" for avoid mistakes.
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2015, 09:00:23 am »
I just got my MSO2072A in the mail and the one thing that stands out the most is the 8 inch screen is too small. I have the scope stilling at the back of my desk and the fonts on the screen are so small that you can barely read the words. I have to squint and move in just to decipher what's on the screen. Very annoying, I'd hate to see what it looked like on the DS1054Z because that one only has a 7 inch screen.

Also within just a few hours of use I'm already frustrate that it doesn't have 4 channels.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2015, 03:09:29 pm »
I can sympathise: as a comparison, the 7" on the 1054Z is indeed small: I generally like high density, but this is a little extreme for daily use for me, but an acceptable compromise for portability in the field. The 9" on the MDO3000 I have I find just about perfect for bench use (same resolution as the 1000Z & DS/MSO2000 series at 800x480). At the other end of the scale, the Agilent 7000 I have is a 12" beast at 1024x768 and it's a bit like Duplo in comparison.

As a comparison, for quite some time for my main day to day scope I used up until quite recently an Agilent 54642D 2+16 MSO, even though I had a selection of other 4 channel scopes about, because the UI on those scopes is just so easy to use and responsive. For almost all I did it was fine, but when messing with things like SMPS, I found I missed the extra analogue channels, and I had a 54622D hooked up to the trigger permanently in case I needed it. By the way, the wavefrom display on those scopes is 1000x255 inside a 7" 4:3 CRT, it is always super clear, but there's a lot less unnecessary chrome and other clutter on the screen than the Rigols, but that's what people expect these days.

Offline Gixy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2015, 04:09:55 pm »
I just got my MSO2072A in the mail and the one thing that stands out the most is the 8 inch screen is too small. I have the scope stilling at the back of my desk and the fonts on the screen are so small that you can barely read the words. I have to squint and move in just to decipher what's on the screen. Very annoying, I'd hate to see what it looked like on the DS1054Z because that one only has a 7 inch screen.

Also within just a few hours of use I'm already frustrate that it doesn't have 4 channels.

Hi,
As mentionned elsewhere in this forum, cases where you really need more than 2 analog channels are very rare. Don't forget that you have with your MSO2072A 16 digital channels with which you can observe the digital buses and discrete signals of your circuit.
Having also an MSO2072A (now MSO2302A...), I find only the measurement texts below the traces too small; furthermore, the character font used for those texts is less readable (Times New Roman or equivalent), and looks bad compared to others texts on the screen.
Don't worry, you have made a good choice and will have a lot of fun with this scope!
Denis

Offline khtwo2002

• Contributor
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2016, 04:59:23 am »

Dont know if this reading lens could help:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pocket-3X-A4-Full-Page-Magnifier-Sheet-Fresnel-Lens-Reading-Map-Magnifying-Loupe-/351293110162?hash=item51cab37792:g:71sAAOSw1vlUwK0e

Offline khtwo2002

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2016, 05:15:55 am »

Probably this one shows clearer about the magnifying effect
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XL-Full-Page-Magnifying-Sheet-Fresnel-Lens-3X-Magnification-Magnifier-UF-/161859864168?hash=item25af998668:g:RGkAAOSwl9BWINJO

Offline ornobian

• ReviewerTouch
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2018, 07:54:24 pm »
In my opinion, Rigol DS1054Z will be the winner of the hobbyist. You will like it.
Love to read , share and write in my blog reviewertouch .

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2018, 01:46:49 am »
Yup, you're gonna dig the 1054Z, best $300 I ever spent.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf