Author Topic: Who made original Greenlee DM-200 DMM? (pre-A model)  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Veteran68Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Who made original Greenlee DM-200 DMM? (pre-A model)
« on: January 23, 2019, 02:34:05 am »
I know Greenlee is the US distributor of Brymen meters these days, and the current DM-200A is a rebadged BM-251. However I have an older model DM-200 which is a different brick-shaped meter. Does anybody know who made this model? I've scoured Google and while I've found a few old pics of people selling them, I've not been able to uncover any providence or other details on the meter. Wasn't sure if Brymen had the relationship with Greenlee back then, or if they even made meters then.

I've had it for some time, at least 10 years, maybe 15, I don't really remember. It's not a feature-rich meter by any means, without the capacitance, Hz, or relative mode of the DM-210, nor is it True RMS. But it seems well built and has a lifetime warranty. The manual says "(C) 2000 Greenlee Textron" and best I remember I paid ~$80 USD, probably at Lowe's. I've bought a few other better meters since then, including a Fluke 87V, and haven't used this one very much at all (it's been in the case and is very much like new). Being new to the forum and seeing so many meter enthusiasts here (and somewhat bitten by the meter buying bug now myself -- I'd really like a BM-879 and the 121GW), I'm interested to know more about it and whether I should hang on to it.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
Re: Who made original Greenlee DM-200 DMM? (pre-A model)
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 02:48:40 am »
It has a very Brymen look, right down to the lettering fonts. Check the crazy Brymen website  for history

The following users thanked this post: Veteran68

Offline Veteran68Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 03:09:15 am »
It has a very Brymen look, right down to the lettering fonts. Check the crazy Brymen website  for history

Thanks! Didn't know Brymen had their old meters on their site, guess I could have just checked there first. Says they've been in business since 1993, so that certainly predates this meter.

Pretty sure I found it. It's the BM201 (with the Greenlee DM-210 being BM202). Found the original PDF spec brochure, which I've downloaded.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 06:40:23 pm »
I know Greenlee is the US distributor of Brymen meters these days, and the current DM-200A is a rebadged BM-251. However I have an older model DM-200 which is a different brick-shaped meter. Does anybody know who made this model? I've scoured Google and while I've found a few old pics of people selling them, I've not been able to uncover any providence or other details on the meter. Wasn't sure if Brymen had the relationship with Greenlee back then, or if they even made meters then.

I've had it for some time, at least 10 years, maybe 15, I don't really remember. It's not a feature-rich meter by any means, without the capacitance, Hz, or relative mode of the DM-210, nor is it True RMS. But it seems well built and has a lifetime warranty. The manual says "(C) 2000 Greenlee Textron" and best I remember I paid ~$80 USD, probably at Lowe's. I've bought a few other better meters since then, including a Fluke 87V, and haven't used this one very much at all (it's been in the case and is very much like new). Being new to the forum and seeing so many meter enthusiasts here (and somewhat bitten by the meter buying bug now myself -- I'd really like a BM-879 and the 121GW), I'm interested to know more about it and whether I should hang on to it.

Just for future note, Greenlee seems to have histprically used either APPATech or Brymen to source all of their meters. Over time, the percentage produced by Brymen has increased heavily as the Appa meters are EOL'd.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 05:52:32 am »
Me-too necro-post, I recently pulled some forgotten stuff from 15 years of storage and came across my Greenlee DM-210 (rebranded Brymen BM202) that I bought new about 20 years ago.  I purchased it at a local electrical supply store, I think around $150 with the optical RS232 PC kit.

I ran through all the functions and found it to be well within spec.

Some interesting finds were that it was able to accurately measure a 10pF cap, and can actually measure frequency of various waveforms up to 2MHz despite both Brymen and Greenlee manuals stating it tops out at 200kHz.

The Greenlee-branded probes are gold plated and have a very nice near-zero-friction swivel feature on the meter side.

I don't think I ever noticed before that the manual states it can measure current at 20A for 30 seconds.  I briefly ran it a bit past that with no issues.

Other notes:
- it doesn't remember previous mode selections, so defaults to DCV and resistance at power on, for example
- resistance measurements in AUTO are somewhat slow, around 3 seconds typically
- continuity check is about as good as it gets
- Brymen's software works fine with it and with Windows 10
- the EF function has a nice range of sensitivity and is available from every mode-switch location with one button push
- the back cover is sealed with a gasket; even the captive screws have mini gasket-washers; stated to be splash-proof

Anyway, of course I found it to be a decent meter and will probably have to find a good place for it now...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf