Poll

Would a review of the Hantek DSO5102P series be of use...

OMG yes please, why hasn't one been done?
4 (21.1%)
Seriously, I've been waiting sooooo long...
0 (0%)
Don't be a fool, Dave shouldn't waste his time...
11 (57.9%)
No way Jose!
0 (0%)
It's a bit how ya doing...
4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: October 10, 2018, 04:17:27 pm

Author Topic: Who wants to see Dave review a Hantek DSO5102P series?  (Read 8940 times)

Offline LeaUKTopic starter

• Contributor
Who wants to see Dave review a Hantek DSO5102P series?
« on: October 05, 2018, 04:17:27 pm »
Have I missed something....how come Dave hasn't 'abused' the Hantek?  Are these scopes a bit Bobby Dazzler? Or more like One Hung Low...

The following users thanked this post: Hullen

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Who wants to see Dave review a Hantek DSO5102P series?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 04:44:01 pm »
I'm torn between possible comedy value and/or whether it's a complete waste of Dave's time/money.

If somebody wants to send him one in a mailbag...  :popcorn:

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 04:53:24 pm »
That's a change of reply to the first one 😉, Banggood have sent several out to reviewers...it's how it's works eh!?

The reason I ask is due to the listing on Banggood, a go to for many DIY'ers and I was surprised not to find a descent review from an experienced Eng. i.e Dave on YouTube...Hoping BG will send him one...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 04:58:41 pm by LeaUK »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 04:58:43 pm »
The reason I ask is due to the listing on Banggood, a go to for many DIY'ers and I was surprised not to find a descent review from an experienced eng. ad Dave on YouTube...Hoping BG will send him one...

I think Banggood only sends to people likely to do shallow reviews and say good things.

ie. Dave doesn't get any free things from Banggood.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 05:03:58 pm »
Of course we understand such, but assuming eevblog is a business and the poll may show many waiting his view to this entry level being...seems strange he hasn't covered it....

Banggood is the go to...really hope Dave will do a teardown, and bear in mind such a low cost, seems perfect for entry level?

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 06:23:10 pm »
Dave has covered it, or at least an earlier Hantek version which looks practically the same. Spoiler alert Dave no no likey:

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 06:27:30 pm »
Also considering the difference in price between it and rigol 1054z, there is no way he would ever recommend it.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 07:16:24 pm »
Also considering the difference in price between it and rigol 1054z, there is no way he would ever recommend it.

I think this is the real point. Dave isn't in business as an oscilloscope/multimeter reviewer so he doesn't try to review every device ever.

If the Owon is missing a Dave-review then it's because it doesn't stand out in the bang-per-buck department or change the game in any way.

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 07:20:19 pm »
100GBP stands out, I'm wondering if there's other forces at work?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 07:25:17 pm »

Where do you get one for that price? I'm seeing prices around $240 on Amazon/eBay.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 07:27:05 pm »
Dave isn't in the business of a multimeter reviewer......eevblog is a business with his own multimeter!  And I'm a great fan, but a subjective one 😉

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 07:36:31 pm »
£186 vs £268 on Banggood, maybe there's another distributor?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 07:37:54 pm »
There are.
What stands out is comparatively low specs, initially only 40K memory depth, which for a DSO today is entirely inadequate.
Other specs that hit you right in the eye:
1K FFT
No Runt trigger
No Decode
2mV/div max sensitivity
300V inputs

But if you know how to decipher datasheets all this comes as no surprise.
Still, it's a better buy than an old CRO if you don't have the skills to keep one running.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2018, 07:46:38 pm »
Am I in a DIY'er forum?  Target market for Dave is beginners or have I missed something? Tuition, hobby, learning and affordability?  Being an ex designer and as many of you are also and  I'm sure we're all aware of the detail, but what shouldn't be lost is the price to performance for the enthusiast.  Look past the snobbery and get the youngsters involved- at prices joe average can afford  👍

Offline taydin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2018, 07:52:33 pm »
As far as I understand, Dave only reviews something if he wants to review it. There are no business considerations  ;D
Real programmers use machine code!

My hobby projects http://mekatronik.org/forum

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 06:44:01 am »
Thanks for the video link, that's a useful review, although quite outdated.

As this review is over 5 years old it would be interesting to see an update from Dave for the Hantek DSO5120P.  The only real issue I see for entry level users use (forget firmware lockups at time of video and personal favoured use patterns) is the overshoot and totally agree that we should trust our measuring devices, however those in the field will know when not to from experience, it's only our novices that may fall foul, oh and for aliasing too.  This video and various comments left here have convinced me that the 5120P is actually a no brainer for hobbiests when comparing against the Rigol £100 cost difference.  I guess it's all about cost vs use, if you're using a scope for business daily then go Rigol and splash the cash, but if you're a have a go DIY'er with sporadic usage....it's gotta make ROI sense!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 11:57:56 am »
This video and various comments left here have convinced me that the 5120P is actually a no brainer for hobbiests when comparing against the Rigol £100 cost difference.  I guess it's all about cost vs use, if you're using a scope for business daily then go Rigol and splash the cash, but if you're a have a go DIY'er with sporadic usage....it's gotta make ROI sense!
Personally I wouldn't consider Rigol for business as well. I also don't quite see why equipment for a hobby should cost next to nothing. If you are strapped for cash it makes sense to want something cheap. However in my own experience going for too cheap tools (not just test equipment) often means messing around with tools which are frustrating to use. Buying a good quality second hand tool is often a better choice. Most of the equipment I have is used and the new stuff is from the last 2 or 3 years.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 12:25:48 pm »
From a complete beginners point(me), I bought a brand new DSO5102p to learn on then around 8-12 months later sold that and bought a near new 2nd hand DSO1054z. I found the DSO5102p fine for learning on and it put me in good standing to confidently buying a better 2nd hand upgrade scope which I am still learning on.
I probably could have just went straight for the DSO1054z but would have spent a ton more time scratching my head with all the "extra" stuff on the DSO1054z.
I think with this type of thing it falls into "different strokes for different folks".

All that being said, I could probably still have gotten by even now with the DSO5102p but it's just nice to have all the extra features and stuff, but that's just my story...

I was recommended the DSO5102p by another member on one of the forums and he's a very knowledgeable hobbyist who I see every day sharing his knowledge and skills. He has a DSO5102p too so again "DSFDF"

Everyone is different …..
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

The following users thanked this post: mc1822

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 08:12:24 am »
I have a Gould 1425 on route from eBay, cut me teeth on one of those as an apprentice...see if it inspires the boy to dig into electronics projects a little deeper.  Grab him an Arduino, nano, Bluetooth board, psu and some breadboard....connection to his phone could be key....then to th wonderful would of c👍👍👍

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 10:51:51 am »
That's a change of reply to the first one 😉, Banggood have sent several out to reviewers...it's how it's works eh!?
The reason I ask is due to the listing on Banggood, a go to for many DIY'ers and I was surprised not to find a descent review from an experienced Eng. i.e Dave on YouTube...Hoping BG will send him one...

Banggood are spamgood.
They have a dozens of employees who bombard bloggers constantly with review offers. I send them all to the spam box.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 10:53:18 am »
Am I in a DIY'er forum?  Target market for Dave is beginners or have I missed something? Tuition, hobby, learning and affordability?  Being an ex designer and as many of you are also and  I'm sure we're all aware of the detail, but what shouldn't be lost is the price to performance for the enthusiast.  Look past the snobbery and get the youngsters involved- at prices joe average can afford  👍

Actually my audience is about half professionals.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 10:57:32 am »
Dave has covered it, or at least an earlier Hantek version which looks practically the same. Spoiler alert Dave no no likey:

Trio Test who lent me that scope were NOT happy campers. Although Charles is a mate of mine, he basically threatened to never loan me anything ever again ;D
I called his bluff and won  ;)

The following users thanked this post: jancumps

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 11:12:46 am »
Speak of the devil, got another email just now.
In a few more days it'll be another one "Bruce" or "Jenny" or "Tiffany"  ::)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf