Author Topic: Why drill holes on an instrument ?  (Read 7054 times)

Offline Back2VoltsTopic starter

• Supporter
Why drill holes on an instrument ?
« on: August 14, 2016, 11:50:58 pm »
I and cleaning up some used gear I have collected over that last six months.    One of the pieces, an HP 5314A Counter has one hole drilled on the top and one in the bottom.    Why would anyone do that?    The only I can think is some radical way of securing the unit so it does not walk out of the lab.

Any thoughts?

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Why drill holes on an instrument ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 12:00:31 am »
Access to trimmers?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 12:23:59 am »
I and cleaning up some used gear I have collected over that last six months.    One of the pieces, an HP 5314A Counter has one hole drilled on the top and one in the bottom.    Why would anyone do that?    The only I can think is some radical way of securing the unit so it does not walk out of the lab.

Any thoughts?

It ran too hot and needed additional venting?
One of the worker threaded some cable through it and wore it as a necklace to the last company party?
Someone thought it had a mental disorder and gave it a lobotomy?
People are just stupid at times?

I'm going with vk6zgo and guessing trimmers as well.   

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 02:07:46 am »
Trimmers are a possibility - but seeing as it is placed quite centrally, I do have to wonder about the security possibility.

Are they both placed centrally?

Online Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 02:50:20 am »
Speed holes?

Offline heatbreak

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 03:19:02 am »
Speed holes?

ie Rigol hacking.         :-DD

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 04:02:30 am »
Trimmers are a possibility - but seeing as it is placed quite centrally, I do have to wonder about the security possibility.

Are they both placed centrally?

Yes, away from the sides..

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 04:19:39 am »
Access to trimmers?

I have opened the instrument and it is almost empty.     Just one board backing the front panel and the PS board by the back.    The rest is so empty that I wondered if it was missing another board, but I found this here

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-5314a-universal-counter-teardown/

So the holes are in the empty area, which would be occupied by the missing battery and TCXO options.    I tend to believe this device was threaded to a steel cable tied to a bench somewhere.

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 05:22:59 am »
Did you buy it new or used? Some decommissioned gears are destroyed by drilling a hole or chirping off its screen, so that it can be written off for tax purpose.

I guess anything is possible.   I got it used early this year.   A guy was selling some gear from his deceased father.   This counter bundled with Simpson function generator and a  Fluke 8050 meter.     

Offline grifftech

• Frequent Contributor
    • youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 04:09:02 am »
Did you buy it new or used? Some decommissioned gears are destroyed by drilling a hole or chirping off its screen, so that it can be written off for tax purpose.
Does it work? If so,that is not the case.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 04:54:42 am by grifftech »

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 05:36:02 am »
Those rack mount kits do cost money you know :-DD

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 08:43:29 am »
I worked for a company many years ago that drilled holes in the bottom of one of their VAX computers. When asked why, I was told it was to let the water out when the roof leaked...  |O

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2016, 10:31:29 am »
I worked for a company many years ago that drilled holes in the bottom of one of their VAX computers. When asked why, I was told it was to let the water out when the roof leaked...  |O

An accountant probably made that decision. A hole costs nothing while fixing the roof costs a lot. ;D

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2016, 01:42:46 pm »

:wtf:

Offline gfiber

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2016, 02:47:40 pm »
In the 1980's I was working at a Marine Electronics store as a tech. One day a couple of men walked in and said their brand new King 7000 VHF marine radio did not work and could I take a look at it. The King 7000 had an angled front panel so one could mount it right side up or down using the mounting bracket. These guys determined it would be better to discard the mounting bracket for an alternative mounting on the overhead above the boats helm.

So they removed the 4 case screws and proceeded to drill 4 holes through them and out of the top radio case. I suspect they then screwed the radio to the overhead. Likely saved an 1/2 to 3/4 inch in clearance. Well I opened the radio as it did not power up. When they drilled through the radio case holes they also drilled through the radio circuit board, I found many traces ripped off the circuit board as then use what I remember a 1/4 inch drill bit and did the drilling blindly. A brand new radio ruined too funny.  |O

Gary
Gary K8IZ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf