Author Topic: Wifi on Siglent SDS1104X-E; SSID still an issue?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline ADJohnsonTopic starter

• Contributor
Wifi on Siglent SDS1104X-E; SSID still an issue?
« on: January 28, 2020, 08:08:51 pm »
I couldn't find an answer to this particular question and it might be a bit too specific to get one but here goes....

I know I need to use a TL-WN725N dongle for wi-fi - I'm not aware of any others that work, certainly the existing dongle I have doesn't - but on Siglent NA there is this article:

https://www.siglenteu.com/operating-tip/wifi-performance-is-slow-or-does-not-connect-well-to-my-network/

It is for the SDS2000X-E rather than my scope but the implication is that it is the wi-fi dongle that doesn't work well with high performance routers like Orbi RBR50.  Guess what router I have?!  The option it suggests is an IOGear GWU637 but the specs on that say it isn't suitable for a mesh network.  In any case, it's a bit expensive really.

Has anyone tried the TL-WN725N dongle on a mesh network on this model scope/SDS1000X-E series and can confirm it works?

Thanks

Andrew
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:23:03 pm by ADJohnson »

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
Re: Wifi on Siglent SDS1104X-E
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 03:21:07 pm »
mesh is not equal mesh, can't tell you about others, but it does works on Ubiquiti Unifi mesh.
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

• Contributor
Re: Wifi on Siglent SDS1104X-E
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2020, 07:22:33 pm »
Thanks - well at least that's some potential.  It's only a fiver, so if it doesn't work it's not a big loss.  When I get hold of one I'll update this message but in the meantime if anyone else has any experience I'd be interested to know.

• Contributor
Re: Wifi on Siglent SDS1104X-E; SSID still an issue?
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 04:25:23 pm »
With the adapter plugged in, a scan for networks lists those available but I can't connect to the one I need.  The SSID has a space in it which I believe is a known issue?  I can't change the SSID just for the scope as everything else in the house would stop working.  So the answer to my original question is I suspect it will work, just that it can't work with my configuration at the moment.  Well, it was only £5 and maybe they will fix the problem in the future.

Offline B-17

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 07:49:21 pm »
I've gotten my scope to connect to my LAN using a VONETS WiFi bridge - but when I go to set the password it appears there was already one set. My SSID has many spaces in it, so I don't believe that's an issue with the WiFi bridge configuration.
Does anyone have the default password for the scope?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 09:34:17 pm »
I've gotten my scope to connect to my LAN using a VONETS WiFi bridge - but when I go to set the password it appears there was already one set. My SSID has many spaces in it, so I don't believe that's an issue with the WiFi bridge configuration.
Does anyone have the default password for the scope?
AFAIK there is no such password.

Within the WiFi menus you should be able to enter another PW and Save over the existing one.
Otherwise within the Save/Recall menu there is a Secure Erase feature to erase all saved waveforms and user settings.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online jorgemef

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 10:10:55 pm »
Just a hint for wifi connections. The back port maybe because is so close to the fan os to the SMPS, cannot be used for a wifi dongle except if using an adapter/extension cable. The Wifi signal will not be stable. I thought the issue was from my router, but it was not. Just some noise issue when in use of the dongle with the back USB port. Goes away with an USB extension cable.
The front USB port seems to work without issues.

The following users thanked this post: mwb1100, Wrenches of Death

Offline mwb1100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 11:04:45 pm »
That's a good tip.  It would have never occurred to me that the scope's fan might be the culprit.  And that after having gone through a phase where a small fan we had in our garage would make the garage door remote fail to work.  So many battery changes before we figured out that the fan was the cause of the intermittent problem (since the fan wasn't always on).

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 11:05:37 pm »
OTOH our ISP updated our WiFi router and now I can reliably use SDS1104X-E out in the shed whereas I couldn't before with the USB TL-WN725N dongle.

There's WiFi routers and there's POS WiFi routers......
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf