Author Topic: With Dave's recent YT blog about sub 100 dollar scopes.  (Read 11153 times)

Offline Dark PrognosisTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
With Dave's recent YT blog about sub 100 dollar scopes.
« on: September 19, 2013, 04:45:07 pm »
Well, I am having no luck so I suck but I did come close with http://www.ebay.com/itm/HITACHI-V-1070-4-CHANNEL-DUAL-TRACE-100Mhz-Ocilliscope-/261286189954?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item3cd5dedb82 but at $138.50 that is over my budget so he is getting a sweet deal if everything is really in working order.

How Dave can do it, and we watched him on YT do it, I just don't get it.  Maybe he has better mojo than I do or something.

edit: Modified the link to the correct one.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 04:48:07 pm by Dark Prognosis »

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
Re: With Dave's recent YT blog about sub 100 dollar scopes.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 05:08:54 pm »
Wow It looks in excellent condition.
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 05:15:00 pm »
4-channel 100MHz scopes will be more sought after than 2-channel lower bandwidth models, the prices will usually reflect that.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 05:17:02 pm »
4-channel 100MHz scopes will be more sought after than 2-channel lower bandwidth models, the prices will usually reflect that.
Of course but the prices for 2 channel scopes, since Dave's video, have seemed to have gone up by double.  Even the lesser known brands.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 05:17:51 pm »
Wow It looks in excellent condition.
Yep, he is going to steal it and resale it I can tell with 388 rating.  Might not be back on Ebay (I bet so) but some where.

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 05:31:50 pm »
... but at $138.50 that is over my budget so he is getting a sweet deal if everything is really in working order.

I can guarantee that this will go for much more than the current bid.
After the item ends go back and have a look at the final flurry of bids.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 05:39:36 pm »
... but at $138.50 that is over my budget so he is getting a sweet deal if everything is really in working order.

I can guarantee that this will go for much more than the current bid.
After the item ends go back and have a look at the final flurry of bids.
That is what I plan to do.  The guy seems to be bidding sort of weird by putting the 50 cents on it but I wonder if suddenly more will come at the last minute?

Hell, all I want is a decent 20mhz dual channel scope for around 75 delivered or 40mhz for 100 and that used to work but now 75-120 is for broken no named ones.  I will keep after it as a deal will emerge I bet.

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 06:28:55 pm »
You live in the test equipment on ebay wonderland. There are even "buy it now" offers that meet your requirements.

eBay auction: #200961946978
eBay auction: #231056887906 It has 30 days warranty!
eBay auction: #130996990121
And many more.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:32:23 pm by sync »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 06:35:11 pm »
You live in the test equipment on ebay wonderland. There are even "buy it now" offers that meet your requirements.

eBay auction: #200961946978
eBay auction: #231056887906 It has 30 days warranty!
eBay auction: #130996990121
And many more.
I am not sure what the first two are (I didn't see those when I looked) as i have never heard of that model but that last one I did see but it looks like it has phosphor burn on the X reticle as that black smudge across it kept me from looking at it for long.

Do you reckon that is a burn?

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 06:52:11 pm »
Maybe there is a light burn-in. Maybe it's just the picture or dirt on the screen. Just ask the seller. Even with a light burn-in it's usable. The trace will only a bit darker at this position.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 06:54:28 pm »
Maybe there is a light burn-in. Maybe it's just the picture or dirt on the screen. Just ask the seller. Even with a light burn-in it's usable. The trace will only a bit darker at this position.
I already did.

Oh, btw, that first one you showed had a knob broken out of it.  Dunno much about that so as my first scope I wouldn't want something to be really bad inside because something broke the knob off which is not an easy task to do.

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 07:02:47 pm »
the bk precision looks good to me, it depends what you'll be using it for. 3 channel 60MHz and waranty.  :-+

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 07:10:58 pm »
the bk precision looks good to me, it depends what you'll be using it for. 3 channel 60MHz and waranty.  :-+
That brings up a point about my lack of experience with scopes but I understand 1,2,4 channels but why 3?  Seems odd to me.

edit:  Now I know why I skipped it because of this -> "PICTURE IS STOCK AND ACTUAL SCOPE IS IN GOOD COSMETIC CONDITION SHOWING USE AND WEAR"
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:12:32 pm by Dark Prognosis »

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 07:15:56 pm »
Oh, btw, that first one you showed had a knob broken out of it.  Dunno much about that so as my first scope I wouldn't want something to be really bad inside because something broke the knob off which is not an easy task to do.
There is always a risk buying used gear. To minimise it buy one with warranty.

PS: If you looking for a bargain then you need to be patient. This means looking for month. And they will likely come without warranty or return option.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 07:18:00 pm »
I received a message back about the possible phosphor issue on that one scope and the reply was "Unfortunately, this item has already been sent to our shipping warehouse to be processed. I am unable to obtain any further specs on this item. I apologize for not being able to assist you with this inquiry. Thanks for looking!"

As far as waiting I agree it will happen as I can see them on the completed listings but I was too late or away when it closed.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 07:29:20 pm »
I assume there aren't many sub-$100USD scopes that have a shallow mounting depth?  They all seem to be 18" or more.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 07:32:18 pm »
I assume there aren't many sub-$100USD scopes that have a shallow mounting depth?  They all seem to be 18" or more.
Not in the Analog realm that I have seen due to the CRT's neck.  There were shallow neck CRTs in some televisions in the day but they were not fast enough for scopes or so I was told back then.  I never owned a scope back then because 1500 for one in say 1981 would be like 10 grand now accounting for inflation.

Offline sync

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 07:41:36 pm »
That brings up a point about my lack of experience with scopes but I understand 1,2,4 channels but why 3?  Seems odd to me.
It has two main channels and the 3rd is limited (only 0.1 and 1V/div). A standard two channel scope has an additional external trigger input. On this scope it's ch3 and you can display it's trace. That was an easy and low cost way for the manufacture to get more that two channels.

edit:  Now I know why I skipped it because of this -> "PICTURE IS STOCK AND ACTUAL SCOPE IS IN GOOD COSMETIC CONDITION SHOWING USE AND WEAR"
Look at the sellers feedback profile. It's very good.

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 09:12:54 pm »
Look at the sellers feedback profile. It's very good.

I agree, with the total transactions (over 10k) 100% is pretty good.

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 10:30:21 pm »
They are out there all day long.

After Dave's video I kept an eye on Ebay for about 3 weeks.  Ended up scoring 2 - LG 0S-3020Ds for $70 delivered.  They both where listed as for parts.  Figured worst case I should be able to get one working.

Powered up the first and it was apparent that the power supply was a problem.  $10 of caps latter it worked fine.

The second had issues with intensity.  Comparing it to the first and reviewing the service manual tracked it down to a worn out pot.  $15 later new pot and power supply caps replaced it was working also.  This guy still had a loose connection somewhere and needs a slap to the case every once and a while.  At some point I may tear it apart again.

None the less I have two useable 20Mhz dual channel scopes with limited digital storage, for $70.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:31:53 pm by orion242 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 10:43:53 pm »
They are out there all day long.

After Dave's video I kept an eye on Ebay for about 3 weeks.  Ended up scoring 2 - LG 0S-3020Ds for $70 delivered.  They both where listed as for parts.  Figured worst case I should be able to get one working.

Powered up the first and it was apparent that the power supply was a problem.  $10 of caps latter it worked fine.

The second had issues with intensity.  Comparing it to the first and reviewing the service manual tracked it down to a worn out pot.  $15 later new pot and power supply caps replaced it was working also.  This guy still had a loose connection somewhere and needs a slap to the case every once and a while.  At some point I may tear it apart again.

None the less I have two useable 20Mhz dual channel scopes with limited digital storage, for $70.
I wouldn't trust it to buy "for parts" but some of those I saw sure looked in better shape than the ones that worked but aesthetics only goes so far when it is the inside that matters.

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 11:07:36 pm »
Well I looked at it this way.

1. I could find the service manuals.
2. I would have two, so if their was hard to find parts bad in one, I should be able to salvage from the second.
3. If I was foolish enough to buy them, if all else failed, hopefully someone else would and I turn around and re-list.

I had people bidding against me, so I should have been able to get most of my money out of them should I flip them back on ebay.  Now that they work, I could turn around and sell them for a profit.

So assuming your smart about it, I don't think your risking too much.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 11:24:32 pm »
Well I looked at it this way.

1. I could find the service manuals.
2. I would have two, so if their was hard to find parts bad in one, I should be able to salvage from the second.
3. If I was foolish enough to buy them, if all else failed, hopefully someone else would and I turn around and re-list.

I had people bidding against me, so I should have been able to get most of my money out of them should I flip them back on ebay.  Now that they work, I could turn around and sell them for a profit.

So assuming your smart about it, I don't think your risking too much.
If I had a working scope I would do just that I think.  I just hate auctions and prefer the buy it now or make an offer because waiting a week to find out someone will bid you into the ground is not for me.  Heck, I don't even use auction with bids in my virtual economies in video games either as I always do a buyout only.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 12:02:21 am »
This is crazy but when I bid on that Hitachi within 2 mins I am outbid by the same guy, lol.

The last bid was within 45 secs he out bid me and that is just crazy.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 12:22:22 am »
This is crazy but when I bid on that Hitachi within 2 mins I am outbid by the same guy, lol.

The last bid was within 45 secs he out bid me and that is just crazy.

Blah!  You want to wait till the last 3-5 seconds before putting in your max bid.   :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf