Author Topic: Wizards of obscure instruments, hear my cry! (Solartron 1200 Signal Processor)  (Read 827 times)

Offline tarasTopic starter

Hey Folks,

I just scooped a Schlumberger Solartron 1200 Signal Processor on local pick-up from eBay.  After using the SR780 in grad school I've been hunting for something similar for my home lab, and this seemed close enough to play with for the price.  However, unlike the SR780, this thing seems to have zero online presence.  Only thing semi-useful I found is this thread: https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131750.  This guy slow_riot has paper manuals, I may make an account on that forum just to see if I can DM him.  Otherwise I've had no luck.  Anyone out there have any insight or docs on this thing?

Once I have it on hand, I can crack it open and make a thread documenting it (an internet first it would seem).  Seems like it has 90 or 100dB dynamic range, has an internal generator, and best of all weighs 75lbs - so you know it's good.  For 10% the cost of a SR780, maybe a score?

Anyway, hope someone knows something. 

Thanks, -j

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

A direct search failed, but looking for 80s era Solartron catalogs yielded an entry for the 1201.  Unsure the difference but it's something.  2mHz low end, not bad.  Looks like the 1201 has a floppy for software options.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
I've come to the conclusion that before buying a piece of test gear, it's best to get the service manual first. Sometimes they are unobtainable.

This person sells a bumper DVD of Schlumberger/Solartron manuals.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252452200197?hash=item3ac752df05:g:CJQAAOxyni9TBfyr

I don't see yours there, but he does say he has others not on the list. It has to be worth contacting him.

The following users thanked this post: taras

Thanks Zenith.  I messaged that seller, as well as made an account on that other forum to message the slow_riot fellow.  Hopefully I can turn something up (which I'll post here).

Yeah, I agree it's wise to find docs before winging it on unknown equipment.  But... this one seemed like a fun endeavor

edit: no luck from the ebay seller
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 10:18:47 pm by taras »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf