Author Topic: Worst handheld multi-meter still available  (Read 13009 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Worst handheld multi-meter still available
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 03:04:51 pm »
The UNI-T UT181A was $300.  Basically a Fluke knockoff with color and an few other nice features.   One strike with the grill starter and it was dead.   And as crappy as that was, the ICs that were damaged were available and I was at least able to repair it.
By grill starter, I assume you mean ignition? If so, what sort of ignition? A piezoelectric push-button ignition, which only outputs a small ESD level pulse or a ignition coil, such as the type found on a domestic cooker, connected to the mains?

The thing he uses in his multimeter test videos.

Offline joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 04:38:59 pm »
The UNI-T UT181A was $300.  Basically a Fluke knockoff with color and an few other nice features.   One strike with the grill starter and it was dead.   And as crappy as that was, the ICs that were damaged were available and I was at least able to repair it.
By grill starter, I assume you mean ignition? If so, what sort of ignition? A piezoelectric push-button ignition, which only outputs a small ESD level pulse or a ignition coil, such as the type found on a domestic cooker, connected to the mains?

It's only been a few years and fifty some meters.   :-DD

I don't test them with the grill starter anymore, unless someone specifically asks.   I was tired of the thumb sucking UNI-T fan boys going on about how I was damaging all their meters and how the test was too harsh.   Now days, I run a direct discharge with a gun I built which is much closer to the IEC standards.   Sadly, I had not ran any low end meters since.

For details concerning the grill starter, watch the first 10 minutes. 
https://youtu.be/1kYcY2ogmqo

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2017, 05:20:46 pm »

It's only been a few years and fifty some meters.   :-DD

I don't test them with the grill starter anymore, unless someone specifically asks.  I was tired of the thumb sucking UNI-T fan boys going on about how I was damaging all their meters and how the test was too harsh.   Now days, I run a direct discharge with a gun I built which is much closer to the IEC standards.   Sadly, I had not ran any low end meters since.
Joe, this is entirely your fault. Either you should have created a "safe space" for the "snowflake" Uni-T meters or should have added "trigger warnings" to protect some "snowflake" Uni-T owners... <ducks and runs>
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 10:35:41 pm »
"safe space" for the "snowflake"   :-DD :-DD   

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 08:14:35 pm »
Cheap meters aren't all that bad, my $30 - $40 (whatever it cost) meter survived 80VDC on the continuity range...several times. OOPS :-[
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 10:19:16 pm »
The only meters I wouldnt consider using are the shitty DT830 variants with a piddly 1M input impedance and some of the really cheap analogue ones.  Apart from that the meters that are popular to crap upon are fine for voltage monitoring, continuity, measuring resistors/capacitors etc. Just don’t go whacking them on switching power supplies, bus bars or anything stupid like that.

The worst hand held meter still available is the Pro’s Kit MT2017 in my opinion. I got given one for Christmas and I’d killed it in about twenty minutes. I made fire come out.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 07:34:17 am »
I think that claim is hilarious. Most of the divider resistors are just 0805’s with a glass fuse in front. The video above shows an earlier board. It’s all SMD now.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 04:03:59 pm »
Funny things about the video:

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 04:13:22 pm »
 :-DD well spotted.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 04:59:36 pm »
It looks similar to the really low end analog meter I reviewed.  It even comes with a spare fuse.  So if you pop the one, you don't have to resort to jumping out the fuse with wire.  You can still be safe with your second chance glass fuse.     

Cheap meters aren't all that bad, my $30 - $40 (whatever it cost) meter survived 80VDC on the continuity range...several times. OOPS :-[

I agree that there are some pretty good inexpensive meters on the market.   That sub $50 Fluke 101 is a good design and very well made for the price.  On the flip side, I've seen some pretty expensive meters with a lot of problems.     

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2017, 10:03:11 pm »
I started to look at a new meter today and believe I have found a new candidate for the worst meter still available.  I've spent some money on some crap meters before but this meter takes things to a whole new level. 

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2017, 03:40:18 am »
I started to look at a new meter today and believe I have found a new candidate for the worst meter still available.  I've spent some money on some crap meters before but this meter takes things to a whole new level.
Which meter is this?

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2017, 09:49:47 am »
most of my meters are sub $60 ones.

no problem, i want to mod them.
so i dont want to risk hundreds.
if i take a UT-61E or Aneng and then spend 5-10 on fuses and fuseholders and maybe some movs, it's still a good price.

i wouldnt touch a DT830 type though - ever.
the way they connect the sockets to the main pcb from a smaller one looks so dodgy that i wouldnt trust the readings even just testing battery's or resistors.
i also wouldnt touch any old analog meter with 2mm probe sockets.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2017, 10:49:04 am »
The OWON B35 is a complete piece of garbage
That looks like a very nice little meter. 

Yep. Looks awesome for $66. Bar graph, lots of features, data logging via Bluetooth... it even comes in a case.

http://www.owon.com.hk/products_info.asp?ProID=181

For $66 it's a given that it won't meet CAT ratings, etc., but it would take far more than that for it to be classed as one of the worst meters available.

i do have one, it's not an ideal meter but not the worst one either. it lacks proper input protection and i would not use it for work on mains, but otherwise it's usable including the bluetooth.
many (almost all ? ) Uni-T meters doesn't have proper input protection so i don't see why the B35 should be the worst one...  i would even say that the B35 is a nice meter for low voltage stuff.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2017, 11:24:51 am »

Two PCBs, both with range selector?  :wtf:

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2017, 05:18:45 pm »
That's pretty much what I thought.  The meter is now being life cycled. We will see how this fancy switch holds up.

Offline Daruosha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 08:16:48 pm »
That's pretty much what I thought.  The meter is now being life cycled. We will see how this fancy switch holds up.

Right of the bat, with via holes on the rotary switch traces, I can say it will be pretty much hopeless.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 09:02:42 pm »
Are there ANY good really cheap basic meters, (by cheap I mean under $10-15 analog is fine) which are safe, completely ignoring whiz bang features?

Decent, safe, no frills at all. One requirement, should have a continuity beeper or LED.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 09:16:34 pm »
i would say the Aneng / zotek is "safe" as long as you dont take liberty's with it and ignore the manual.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 10:19:46 pm »
Are there ANY good really cheap basic meters, (by cheap I mean under $10-15 analog is fine) which are safe, completely ignoring whiz bang features?

Decent, safe, no frills at all. One requirement, should have a continuity beeper or LED.

Most of them are "safe" so long as you operate them perfectly and don't take them along to the local substation..

I'm not sure how many I'd be happy to connect to the mains and twist the selector dial back and forth.  :popcorn:

If I was going to buy a sub-$20 meter I'd get the ANENG AN860B+.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 05:14:46 am by Fungus »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2017, 10:35:23 pm »
UT136 is quite decent and robust for the price. There is a thread around here.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2017, 11:05:15 pm »
Uh. Someone were fast. I think the worst can be found from the analogue meter market, the specs are horrid for even a analogue meters. 
https://www.kew-ltd.co.jp/en/products/detail/00912/

Accuracy 3%  :-DD  :-// Seriously..  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2017, 11:07:39 pm »
OMG I had a piece of shit like that when I was a kid. Think it was from Tandy / Radio Shack.

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2017, 11:26:44 pm »
That's a really high-end thing you got there! But I got something even better!  :-DD

May I present to you, the MF-110A: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Mini-Electric-AC-DC-OHM-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Multi-Tester-MF-110A-Multimeter-New/32800873535.html

I bought one ages ago since I wanted to just steal the movement to make some DIY panel meters for something silly, but turns out even that part is too crappy to bother with. Been meaning to hook it up to a MOT to see how quickly it catches fire, but I can't quite be bothered to disassemble a microwave oven for this thing.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 04:17:44 am »
It looks like my first Radio Shack meter. Which was a prized possession at the time. How things have changed.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf