Author Topic: Would this bother you? Rigol 1054Z quality issue  (Read 5761 times)

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
Re: Would this bother you? Rigol 1054Z quality issue
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2020, 01:12:34 pm »
Now I look at it, my DS1054Z has a similar mark but I bought it as an open box item so I make some allowance for that plus it's not very noticeable.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2020, 02:52:44 pm »
That's a plastic case, not a theme, and its color is black, not dark.  Dark is not a color.
Unless brainwashed.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2020, 03:04:29 pm »
Dark is not a color. Unless brainwashed.

Designers have to follow fashion.

My theory is:
a) Photoshop is grey because they want the UI to "vanish" and not make an image on the retina.
b) Designers are used to using Photoshop and find anything else garish.
c) Designers believe everybody else sees the world in their colors.
d) Our user interfaces are vanishing and failing to make any image on the retina.
e) GOTO a

I've been in professional color studios and they paint the walls grey for the reasons given in (a). I wonder if the people who work there paint their homes grey?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 03:08:53 pm by Fungus »

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2020, 03:55:18 pm »
Some information that might be useful when you want to 'fix' non uniform looking plastic mouldings as in your case.

I use a silicon based liquid called ARMOUR ALL

Get a small dab of it (spray it onto a cotton bud) and touch up the discoloured part of the plastic - just on the edge moving it into the 'good' part of the plastic. See if it improves the damaged area and if it blends into the remaining plastic moulding.

What you are doing with ARMOUR ALL is applying a thin layer of silicon (can be thicker by applying more) over the plastic and this will act as a 'micro filler' in effect diffusing the visible imperfection and blending it with the rest of the plastic.

If it works - enough to hide the imperfections - then apply more to cover the complete area as well as the rest of the moulding around the section in question. Once fully dry - you can 'buff' it with microfiber cloth.

You never know - this might 'fix' the imperfection.

But to your original question - I would try to exchange for new device - it should have not passed QA - especially if it’s on front of scope in predominate area.

Good Luck  ;)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2020, 06:55:32 pm »
That black case looks cheap AF, also ugly and hard to read.   :palm:
Horrible idea.  KEYSIGHT, did you hear?
The black case is a matter of taste. The sink marks are veritable manufacturing defects. Better control of your process eliminates them.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2020, 06:58:16 pm »
Some information that might be useful when you want to 'fix' non uniform looking plastic mouldings as in your case.

Get a small dab of it (spray it onto a cotton bud) and touch up the discoloured part of the plastic - just on the edge moving it into the 'good' part of the plastic. See if it improves the damaged area and if it blends into the remaining plastic moulding.

What you are doing with ARMOUR ALL is applying a thin layer of silicon (can be thicker by applying more) over the plastic and this will act as a 'micro filler' in effect diffusing the visible imperfection and blending it with the rest of the plastic.

If it works - enough to hide the imperfections - then apply more to cover the complete area as well as the rest of the moulding around the section in question. Once fully dry - you can 'buff' it with microfiber cloth.

But to your original question - I would try to exchange for new device - it should have not passed QA - especially if it’s on front of scope in predominate area.

Good Luck  ;)
I'd recommend against using silicone on plastics. In the car world they used to put it in "plastic restorers" but those gained a horrible reputation. The plastics get a nasty cheap shine and once on you'll never get it off again. It'll just spread further and further. Car parts treated with the stuff are considered ruined by many.

Offline noreply

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2020, 12:09:53 pm »

Good Luck  ;)
I'd recommend against using silicone on plastics. In the car world they used to put it in "plastic restorers" but those gained a horrible reputation. The plastics get a nasty cheap shine and once on you'll never get it off again. It'll just spread further and further. Car parts treated with the stuff are considered ruined by many.

Totally agree.

BUT

Not recommending to 'coat' the entire plastic case.

I found good mileage - in applying a very fine (diluted dab) of silicon with a small cotton bud to the worst area - it has an effect of acting like a micro-filler to remove the apparent discolouration which is most likely 'rough' surface patch from the injection moulding process.

In several cases (no pun intended) I managed to hide / eliminate some surface blemishes by using this method.

It’s never a substitute for a new - not faulty device casing - but if you are 'stuck' it worth a try  :-\ - however DO NOT coat the entire case with the silicon for the reasons outlined.

Offline retro_gamerTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2020, 12:36:33 am »
Hey everyone.  So it looks like Tequipment just refunded me instead of sending out a replacement unit. 

Before I buy another Rigol 1054z, is there any other scope I should be looking at?  $500 is probably the most I'd like to spend.

Thanks!

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2020, 02:25:02 am »
Testequipment has the GW Instek GDS1054B on sale for $310 and you can apply the eevblog discount code and get another 6% off

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2020, 05:02:05 am »
Hey everyone, I recently purchased my first scope and I noticed some strange marks in the plastic.  It kinda looks like someone wiped it with acetone or something.  It's much easier to see it in real life than in the photos.

The pictures look imperfect molding of Jetting and Weld Lines. Typically happens of having not optimal temperature control during the molding.

The Rigol probably do not make the plastic cases, so the company who supplies the molding case did not reject the imperfect molding and Rigol did not check to molding before assembling them.

Most of the time, asking the replacement would come with better moldings.

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2020, 06:14:03 am »
These models come up in the forum often in this price range?

2ch
RIGOL    DS1202Z-E
SIGLENT SDS1202X-E

4ch
RIGOL     DS1054Z
SIGLENT  SDS1104X-E
GWinstek GDS-1054B

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2020, 06:26:45 am »

2ch
RIGOL    DS1202Z-E
SIGLENT SDS1202X-E

4ch
RIGOL     DS1054Z
SIGLENT  SDS1104X-E
GWinstek GDS-1054B

Yes?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2020, 07:43:26 am »

2ch
RIGOL    DS1202Z-E
SIGLENT SDS1202X-E

4ch
RIGOL     DS1054Z
SIGLENT  SDS1104X-E
GWinstek GDS-1054B
Lots, and the datasheets of each speak for themselves.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2020, 05:37:33 pm »
That black case looks cheap AF, also ugly and hard to read.   :palm:
Horrible idea.  KEYSIGHT, did you hear?
I like black test gear, as I really dislike beige. But you are right that that scope looks cheap, but IMHO just because it doesn’t look like high quality, regardless of color. (Black is FAR less forgiving of surface defects than light colors.)

Random factoid: really good looking black plastic is so hard to get right that a significant share of black plastic electronics are actually painted. (As are, of course, any matte finishes.)

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2020, 10:36:54 pm »
I think the black gear looks cool on my workbench but it's way more difficult to read the printed markings on the black gear.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline cliffyk

• Frequent Contributor
    • PaladinMicro
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2020, 12:50:06 am »
Hurried production, removed from the mold too soon, too hot--very common on cheap imported crap, I would expect better from Rigol

TEquipment can be a real PITA, A company I worked for bought most everything from them and had numerous issues; don't know why they continued to buy from them. We once waited 8 weeks for them to ship a couple of Lecroy WJ354s that were supposedly "in stock", they had our UPS account # and when they did finally ship them they used overnight delivery, to the tune of $500+ ! Bunch of A-Holes...
-cliff knight-

paladinmicro.com

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2020, 07:06:39 pm »
I think the black gear looks cool on my workbench but it's way more difficult to read the printed markings on the black gear.
Doesn’t that ultimately depend on the font design and quality of the printing? (Among other things.)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2020, 07:22:51 pm »
Doesn’t that ultimately depend on the font design and quality of the printing? (Among other things.)

The same designers never had problems putting legible text on white test gear.  :-//

Offline Johnboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2020, 07:15:48 pm »
Here too. A slight imperfection in form of a horizontal stripe above the top four buttons at the right, only visible when looking at an angle.

Same here.

I would not be surprised to learn that this cosmetic flaw is present to some degree on all of these units. However, if I hadn't read this thread, I would likely never have noticed it.

Offline NoisyBoy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2020, 07:51:23 pm »
You are probably right, as others on this thread had pointed out similar blemish with their Rigol scopes.  I think that could be the reason why they chose to refund the purchase instead of sending out another unit. 

But I do think it's a reasonable expectation for a new scope to be blemish free.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2020, 08:03:37 pm »
Here too. A slight imperfection in form of a horizontal stripe above the top four buttons at the right, only visible when looking at an angle.

Same here.

I would not be surprised to learn that this cosmetic flaw is present to some degree on all of these units. However, if I hadn't read this thread, I would likely never have noticed it.
Even on the MSO50K and the Siglent SDS2K+ scopes

Offline Turrican3

• Regular Contributor
  • Playing is believing
    • Gamers4um
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2020, 07:50:05 am »
For the record, the exact same kind of (minor, personally speaking, if only because I would likely had never noticed without this thread) aesthetic flaw is present on my brand new Rigol 1054Z.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2020, 11:56:07 am »

The same designers never had problems putting legible text on white test gear.  :-//
So they weren’t very good designers, and/or their printing technology isn’t good enough to maintain contrast? It certainly doesn’t mean it can’t be done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf