Author Topic: Small scope needed  (Read 11364 times)

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Small scope needed
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 04:22:13 pm »
They're much more expensive than a desktop 'scope for equivalent bandwidth, etc. The 'S' part of "DSO" is very limited, too. Most of them drop down to 10MHz sample rate if you want to capture more than a couple of kb of data.

I would be really careful about the "S" part of "DSO" in this case because Picoscope makes both digital sampling oscilloscopes which we are not discussing and digital storage oscilloscopes which we are.

Those handheld Siglent models look interesting with 4 isolated channels and DMM functionality like a Fluke Scopemeter.  I would sure want to closely evaluate one before purchase though;  their price seems too good to be true.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 04:55:21 pm »
:palm:

b) You've already been warned by mods for endlessly posting this crap in every single oscilloscope thread.
Mods? Where? Not in personal messages. Maybe I missed too busy doing actual tests on my tech.

You have been warned and won't be again. If you bother to read the topic instead of filling it with off topic material you might spot that I asked you and then asked again another member to leave this particular debate to oneside and continue with the actual topic at hand.

Just incase it's not clear, if you continue to post stuff like you have in this thread you will be banned! if your heart is so set on discussing this other topic go and create a thread of your own!!!!

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 07:59:38 pm »
:palm:

b) You've already been warned by mods for endlessly posting this crap in every single oscilloscope thread.
Mods? Where? Not in personal messages. Maybe I missed too busy doing actual tests on my tech.

You have been warned and won't be again. If you bother to read the topic instead of filling it with off topic material you might spot that I asked you and then asked again another member to leave this particular debate to oneside and continue with the actual topic at hand.

Just incase it's not clear, if you continue to post stuff like you have in this thread you will be banned! if your heart is so set on discussing this other topic go and create a thread of your own!!!!
Simon
While Wolfie's ongoing 1054Z rants might appear to be messing many threads, might I add: he has one and has done tests and provided documentation to back his claims to a much higher standard than many. I have not seen any of his posts become abusive or personnel beyond what is often seen here, whatsmore Wolfie appears not to have any conflict of interest unlike I.
As an interested onlooker I DO notice his contributions closely followed by Fungus with many challenging posts almost to a point of stalking, and in some way Fungus can be blamed for the escalation of events.
It's a forum and POV will get passionate......is that a bad thing? Civility need be monitored that's all IMHO.
Or did I miss something ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2017, 08:24:02 pm »
While Wolfie's ongoing 1054Z rants might appear to be messing many threads, might I add: he has one and has done tests and provided documentation to back his claims to a much higher standard than many.

So? They don't belong in every single thread that mentions oscilloscopes. He should create a new thread for his discoveries.

As an interested onlooker I DO notice his contributions closely followed by Fungus with many challenging posts almost to a point of stalking, and in some way Fungus can be blamed for the escalation of events.

There'd be nothing to respond to if he wasn't spewing anti-DS1054Z garbage all over the forums.  :-//

Offline djnz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2017, 08:47:40 pm »
I recently snagged a battery operated Tektronix THS720A (used) for US$200. It' slightly bigger than a tablet (~8 inches) and about 1-2 inches thick. Has 2 fully isolated channels and a 3rd DMM input. 100MHz, 500 MS/s. Only 2500 points though. Scope goes down to 0.005V. DMM is only 3.5 digit, but the logging + graphing feature is useful. DMM has VDC, VAC, R, continuity and diode test functions but no current measurement. I think the complete isolation between all inputs is a great feature and can often be very useful.

Offline mk_

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 09:08:34 pm »
I recently snagged a battery operated Tektronix THS720A (used) for US$200. It' slightly bigger than a tablet (~8 inches) and about 1-2 inches thick. Has 2 fully isolated channels and a 3rd DMM input. 100MHz, 500 MS/s. Only 2500 points though. Scope goes down to 0.005V. DMM is only 3.5 digit, but the logging + graphing feature is useful. DMM has VDC, VAC, R, continuity and diode test functions but no current measurement. I think the complete isolation between all inputs is a great feature and can often be very useful.

djnz -

there are several interesting THS7x0-threads here in eevblog. So.. take a look at the last: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tek-ths720a-portable-scope-teardowndiscussion/,
maybe your THS has the requested SW-Version?

michael

The following users thanked this post: djnz

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 09:08:52 pm »
To OP, I suggest fly economy and use the difference to buy a Fluke.  Look at their re-sale value.

To mods:    For those of us that are somewhat mentally challenged, instead of saying "You"  can you write the members name.  With all the quotes it can be hard to figure out who "You" is.  (I hope it is not me).  Thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline cncjerryTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 12:11:40 am »
I didn't mean to draw out the worst in us.  I have a good solution for information that I don't find relevant, I ignore it.   Much like the comment about 500Gs/S instead of 500Ms/S.  99% of the people that read the post understood I made one of my many frequent mistakes.

Actually, I wouldn't have looked at the Picoscope without the attention it was given as years ago, and I don't even remember how long, it wasn't even the best in its class.  I guess things have changed so I'll put it on the finalist list.

I've looked at the Flukes as every now and again there is one on Craigslist locally for a good deal.  I haven't seen a THS-720A for $200, but if that is an offer, I'll take it!

I don't need current measurement when traveling.  I am mainly generating DAC signals that mathematically either work or don't so I really just need to see if the signal is there, maybe look at peak clipping and zero crossing.  I don't care about real time as much as a triggered signal.

Nobody answered my Hantek question but I don't really care, there is enough about them on this and other sites.  I'll have to sit down and compare the Picoscope to the Hantek.

The Micsig is cool but I think it is larger than what I want to add to my bag.   Their more traditional hand sized scopes are also pretty big.  I have an Owon SDS7102 with battery and I think the square inches wouldn't be that much different though I could be wrong.   I wish the Micsig tablet scope wasn't that thick but then again, it has a lot of connectors.

Thanks for all the input. 

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 05:28:14 am »
i can advocate for the pico and say, try it! download the software and play with the demo waveforms to see if it's suitable for your use (I like the beta version better than the current stable. additional buttons for changing parameters tablet-like and coloured labels for serial decoding. plus, it seems to be faster on my work laptop)
the AWG may be picky about amplitude and offset .. at least the one on mine is (older 2000A series pico)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 07:34:00 am »
As I have already said Mrwolf is welcome to start a thread on the topic. There is no problem linking to the thread from this one but an ongoing detailed discussion about deep details of one particular model won't help a thread that is trying to evaluate a number of models. I also own a Rigol DS1054Z and would be happy to have a concise presentation of it's weak points so that I am aware, but not on top of another discussion.

Offline MrWolf

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 11:28:07 am »
There'd be nothing to respond to if he wasn't spewing anti-DS1054Z garbage all over the forums.  :-//

Well first it's not garbage. These are pretty extensive tests. Initial motivation was to point out software bugs in hope they can be fixed (normal procedure in industry), but was pointed out that in this case bugs are features and it's all meant this way. Secondly this was response to recommending DS1054Z on every thread by "certain persons", even when OPs clearly wanted "midrange", not entry level scope. When new player comes to forum like this he will presume that "gurus" with 10k+ posts have darn good idea about products they are recommending and how they compare to other products. Before did come to this forum I did know nothing about Rigol or Siglent. Bought products from both based on "guru recommendations". Turned out that one is way substandard compared to stuff I had earlier and another is surprisingly good. Due to certain circumstances I had the time and was properly pissed off - so I made circus out of it, while not failing to provide useful info "for future generations". Also I noticed that sales work by another set of persons tied to Siglent is way different and more civilized, which does not lead to circus but good sales numbers I presume. So hope something could be learned from this. As for now circus is closed.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 12:31:24 pm by MrWolf »

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2017, 01:11:57 pm »
download the software and play with the demo waveforms to see if it's suitable for your use (I like the beta version better than the current stable. additional buttons for changing parameters tablet-like and coloured labels for serial decoding. plus, it seems to be faster on my work laptop)

They have finally released a new version to replace the beta:

https://www.picotech.com/downloads

I downloaded and installed 6.12.5 and it has all the beta features.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2017, 01:26:23 pm »
Well first it's not garbage.

Nobody's doubting your numbers, it's the presentation that annoys people.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2017, 02:40:15 pm »
Initial motivation was to point out software bugs in hope they can be fixed (normal procedure in industry), but was .................
Good luck.

Let me share a FIRST POST with you, from a long time and respected member AND former Rigol seller from nearly 7 years ago:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/rigol-ds1000e-series-possible-errorfail-in-sin(x)x-interpolation/

Some are SO blind they cannot see......Who do I refer to, well you work that out for yourselves.

What many/most members FAIL to do is their homework.........if a member posts something that gets your attention..........well, fooking research them, pretty easy IF you aren't too tired to do so.  :horse:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline MrWolf

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 03:03:46 pm »
Nobody's doubting your numbers, it's the presentation that annoys people.

I'm using OpenOffice, damn hard to do good looking charts :( Will work on it.

if a member posts something that gets your attention..........

Well... just went to the store to look at the thing with excited attention before doing further research... but seller offered massive discount :palm:

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2017, 03:06:31 pm »
What many/most members FAIL to do is their homework.....:horse:

Or maybe they simply decide that these problems aren't showstoppers when offered a $400, 4-channel, 100MHz DSO with a ton of useful features.  :horse:  :horse:

Similarly: Picoscopes are overpriced when compared to a desktop DSO and they have problems/limitations of their own (eg. USB interface is a bottleneck). If you're looking for something small that fits in a bag with a laptop though, those things aren't necessarily showstoppers.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 03:12:29 pm »
What many/most members FAIL to do is their homework.....:horse:

Or maybe they simply decide that these problems aren't showstoppers when offered a $400, 4-channel, 100MHz DSO with a ton of useful features.  :horse:  :horse:

Similarly: Picoscopes are overpriced when compared to a desktop DSO and they have problems/limitations of their own (eg. USB interface is a bottleneck). If you're looking for something small that fits in a bag with a laptop though, those things aren't necessarily showstoppers.
No further comment necessary.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: JPortici, MrWolf

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 06:32:36 pm »
Quote from: tautech
No further comment necessary.

I'm not taking sides here. But quoting yourself, and then stating that this better be the final word in the debate, is an interesting move.  ;)

Anyway, I keep being surprised how passionate we can get about test equipment. Maybe the "peace" icon can be added to the selection of emoticons in the forum software?  :)

The following users thanked this post: guenthert

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2017, 09:40:17 am »
The :horse: didn't do nothing.
we'd better add the bloody-horse-head too to give a clear message for one has to stop.  >:D

(i rewatched the godfather the other day)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf