Author Topic: would you still buy the fluke 87V!  (Read 20357 times)

Offline nourTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • calm down, it is just a smoked oPamP!
would you still buy the fluke 87V!
« on: December 16, 2015, 06:35:53 am »
Every one knows that the fluke 87V became a fairly old model and there is a lot of new models/ technologies out in the market
also the fluke is very expensive comparing it to other models/brands today in the market even the others have much more features and ranges

So if you are going to buy for your self a new multimeter would you buy the FLUKE 87V ?

EDIT
forgot to mention: I am talking about electronics measurements not for electrical measurements 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:03:40 am by nour »
if what I have wrote doesn't make sense for you or you think there is something wrong, please correct me, I am still beginner and what I know probably less than what you know

Offline Smith

• Frequent Contributor
Re: would you still buy the fluke 87V!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 06:52:57 am »
Yes definetly. It's a bit older, but it has also proven itself, and it is still a very good meter. Batteries last forever, and it is very tough. That is why I use one professionally, and for home use.
I have seen a lot of newer models with extra functions, but I don't need 99% of them.
Only drawbackback with the 87V I see is the default AC current setting.
Trying is the first step towards failure

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 07:05:51 am »
Multimeters are all about confidence. The Fluke 87V has earned its reputation.

It's expensive .... but it will go for a very long time. Look at it in terms of cost per month and it's not so bad.

It's basic, but ... usually that's all you need. A few functions done well.

Should you buy one? There's no right answer. You need to figure out which side of the line you're on.

Now if they could just make it default to DC readings on all ranges ... I might buy one.  ;)

PS: Having lots of cheaper multimeters can often be better than one big expensive one (even better: lots of big expensive ones!)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:20:24 am by Fungus »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 07:22:30 am »
Also: Ask yourself why your question even exists.

Why is the world clearly divided into "Fluke 87V" vs. "Everything else"? There must be a reason.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 07:23:09 am »

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 07:29:21 am »
It's like the iPhone. You can get faster, more features, more accurate for less money from other brands.
Yet still people still buy a Fluke 87 because it's a Fluke 87 and it just works.

Online Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 07:54:50 am »
If I didn't have better ways to spend money I would buy two, depends what features you want in a meter but it's very usable for electronics.

I see you complaining the Hakko FX951 has too expensive tips and now Fluke 87V is too old. You are focusing on the wrong things. If you want the brand, features and specs either spend the money or don't - simple. If you have a business go buy them. If you are a hobbyist and they are too expensive stop looking at the expensive gear.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 08:30:24 am »
I see you complaining the Hakko FX951 has too expensive tips and now Fluke 87V is too old.

I don't get the "old" argument.

Try going to the hammer section of a hardware store and ask them if they have "something more modern". You'll be one of the customers they tell each other about at lunchtime.

You are focusing on the wrong things. If you want the brand, features and specs either spend the money or don't - simple. If you have a business go buy them. If you are a hobbyist and they are too expensive stop looking at the expensive gear.

Yep. Last time I had $400 to spend on gear I bought a Rigol DS1054Z instead. A Fluke 87V was waaay down the list of priorities.

Offline FivePoint03

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 08:47:19 am »
No I'd buy the Fluke 189 if I could.  Much preferred that meter, never really a fan of the 87V.

Recently I've had a 289 and a 17B both are very good.  I don't get the obsessions with the 87V I really don't!

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 08:48:45 am »
Try going to the hammer section of a hardware store and ask them if they have "something more modern". You'll be one of the customers they tell each other about at lunchtime.
:-DD

Last time I needed a new portable multimeter I ended up buying an Agilent U1241B. These can be configured to start in DC mode. The main reason I went for a well known brand is electric safety so I can use it on mains as well. So far I'm pretty happy with it but I only use it 4 or 5 times per year.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline xwarp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 09:17:37 am »
No I'd buy the Fluke 189 if I could.  Much preferred that meter, never really a fan of the 87V.

Recently I've had a 289 and a 17B both are very good.  I don't get the obsessions with the 87V I really don't!

I've both a 189 and 87v. Like them both.

Online newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 09:30:20 am »
I just did.

I already had an UNI-T 61D (European version, the one with some input protection), but I've been longing for a Fluke meter since I was a 12 years old.

Now, some 40 years after, I managed to get the Swedish Distrelec deal (2300sek bundled with a 62MAX+, offer now expired): more or less half the average price from a reputable seller. I could not justify the full price for "just a hobby".
https://www.elfa.se/sv/kombinationssats-fluke-87v-62max-trms-ac-20000-digits-1000-vac-1000-vdc-10-adc-fluke-fluke-87v-62max-promo/p/30003336

So far, so good: fast, accurate (as far as I can tell), the feeling of a well done and reliable product. The test leads (TL175, not TL75 as mentioned on Fluke website) are so much better anything I've used...

I had given a thought on selling the 61D, but given that the resale value would not be high and using two meters is really a help sometimes, I'm keeping them both.

Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 01:04:08 pm »
Every one knows that the fluke 87V became a fairly old model and there is a lot of new models/ technologies out in the market
also the fluke is very expensive comparing it to other models/brands today in the market even the others have much more features and ranges

So if you are going to buy for your self a new multimeter would you buy the FLUKE 87V ?

EDIT
forgot to mention: I am talking about electronics measurements not for electrical measurements 

If new as in new to me, I would not rule it out.  I like vintage test equipment and maybe if I live long enough, I'll want one in my collection with the other antiques, like my Schwinn.  :-DD   

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 01:55:59 pm »
The 87V is a solid no nonsense meter with a long history of reliability and customer satisfaction. It has had only one or two minor problems, such as the GSM interference bug. Not much bad to say about it.

What are its drawbacks? Well it has a relatively low number of features for its price. Some other multimeters on the market can be much better buys for those who don't insist on a Fluke just because it is a Fluke.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 02:13:59 pm »
Yes, gently used, an 87V is very cost effective and very prolific on eBay, it typically sells $100-$250.  As they are made so well, often what is sold used is effectively good as new.  New for myself? no.  For work, we pay full price but the DMM of choice is a 289 type; a graph of a measurement vs time is more important than a sampled point measure such as with min-max-ave; when the 87V was it its prime, graphing meters were impossible to get with 87V like toughness and compactness.

An acquaintance bought this, all it needed was a good cleaning and maybe new test leads, but its still in calibration.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fluke-87-V-True-RMS-Digital-Multimeter-w-Leads-Used-Works-/321926333658?hash=item4af44e04da%3Ag%3AuCIAAOSweuxWT4f3&nma=true&si=%252BRTZzgOzrfGNulnvBh8vatPZeqQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Get a low cost Keysight HH DMM, add a $50 bluetooth 'cable' and you can get the same effect of a 289 on a smartphone for under $200 and still have a robust DMM.  What you save in money vs 289 you spend in set up time each time you use it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 02:23:00 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 02:23:43 pm »
I currently own two Metrahit Multimeters (X-TRA and Ultra) which have quite a few features that the 87V lacks. Like automatic blocking of voltage/current sockets,  separate power switch, full range current measurement with same socket, data storage, IrDA communication, higher accuracy etc. Plus they are very well built, probably even better than the Fluke. And they run from AA batteries.
They are cool and I will keep and least one of them in addition to the Fluke, but for my everyday measurements I still tend to use the 87V.
It's handier (at least with the rubber holster), faster and usually good enough for my needs. If I could have only one meter, I'd keep the Fluke. That's why I also order only Flukes at work.
Besides: we have some Fluke dinosaurs at work, some of them at least 30 years old. And they don't only still work: they are still pretty much spot on.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 02:32:27 pm »
Besides: we have some Fluke dinosaurs at work, some of them at least 30 years old. And they don't only still work: they are still pretty much spot on.

I own a Fluke 27FM - it's the big chunky meter that sits at the background of nearly all of Dave's videos.

It has almost the same features as the 87V, and you could build a bomb-proof dunny with them (if you had enough).

And yeah, the measurements are all spot on (as far as I can test it).

They don't make them like this any more:

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:46:57 pm by Fungus »

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 02:34:23 pm »
Multimeters are all about confidence. The Fluke 87V has earned its reputation.

It's expensive .... but it will go for a very long time. Look at it in terms of cost per month and it's not so bad.

It's basic, but ... usually that's all you need. A few functions done well.

Should you buy one? There's no right answer. You need to figure out which side of the line you're on.

Now if they could just make it default to DC readings on all ranges ... I might buy one.  ;)

PS: Having lots of cheaper multimeters can often be better than one big expensive one (even better: lots of big expensive ones!)

Shurely your line is sloping the wrong way?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 02:52:07 pm »
Shurely your line is sloping the wrong way?

I don't think so...  :popcorn:

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2015, 04:48:37 pm »
I have a local store that sell fluke stuff and other multimeters brand
and I wanted to get another 2 or 3 multimeter
so I keep asking my self why should I pay around 390$ for the fluke 87v when I can get 3 fluke 15B+ with only around 90$ each(already have one and I think it is good enough for the electronics that I am in for now, but not in the future though)

but the inside me keep pushing for the fluke 87V without any real reason, that's why I have opened this discussion to lessen to the people chooses

also I wanted at least 1 high specs handheld multimeter, every time I find one online, the price point (with shipping) almost as the fluke 87V in my local store so I keep saying to my self "just go and buy the local 87V one" !!

if what I have wrote doesn't make sense for you or you think there is something wrong, please correct me, I am still beginner and what I know probably less than what you know

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 06:18:01 pm »
so I keep asking my self why should I pay around 390$ for the fluke 87v when I can get 3 fluke 15B+ with only around 90$ each(already have one and I think it is good enough for the electronics that I am in for now, but not in the future though)

I guess you are not asking the group and just yourself.  So maybe you want to ask yourself what features you need for your non-electrical, electronics work.   For myself, maybe RMS would be a nice feature to have if it's my only meter... 

also I wanted at least 1 high specs handheld multimeter, every time I find one online, the price point (with shipping) almost as the fluke 87V in my local store so I keep saying to my self "just go and buy the local 87V one" !!

The 87V is a high spec meter?   :-DD   I compare it with the Schwinn bicycle of days gone by.  Rugged, heavy, expensive and one of the top of the line in it's day.   If I needed a couple of meters for electronics work and had cash to spend on a new 87V,  I think I would get a couple of the BM869s and get some work done.   

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 06:47:04 pm »
I can get 3 fluke 15B+ with only around 90$ each(already have one and I think it is good enough for the electronics that I am in for now, but not in the future though)

In what way do you think an 87V will be better for you?

What could you do with an 87V that you can't do with a 15B+? (15B+ has more features, eg. capacitance)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2015, 07:02:13 pm »
unfortunately at my local area the fluke multimeters are the only good multimeters available and on the top of that the 87v is the highest specs that they have
I would like to have the BM869s but I don't have local distributor and the online will cost me almost the same as the local fluke 87V does because of the shipping
and TME have a very complicated procedures to complete an order, I don't even have the ability to change any thing in my profile  :palm: and I have to ask them to do it for me  |O

I can get 3 fluke 15B+ with only around 90$ each(already have one and I think it is good enough for the electronics that I am in for now, but not in the future though)
In what way do you think an 87V will be better for you?
What could you do with an 87V that you can't do with a 15B+? (15B+ has more features, eg. capacitance)

good question, may be I need to ask my self about this point!

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 07:18:58 pm »
Hm, what makes you think the 87V couldn't measure capacitance?
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Marcos

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 07:21:56 pm »
Hm, what makes you think the 87V couldn't measure capacitance?

Of course it can. Temperatures also. Can't see this option in 15B+ (only 17B+)
@Fungus...get a Fluke 87V first and ask yourself later what you missed with your 15B+ :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf