Author Topic: yet again noob looking for cheap multimeter  (Read 2529 times)

Offline __-_-_-__Topic starter

yet again noob looking for cheap multimeter
« on: July 28, 2018, 11:29:07 am »
first of all please be kind I've read many posts and the all the stickies.
I've become scared of chineasium stuff due to safety. I don't want anything blowing up.

with so much information it's very hard for a noob like me to find what I really need. specially when some topics are from several years ago. I've no idea if things have improved.

I'm looking for the cheapest safe multimeter with auto range.

I'll use it for small projects. nothing fancy. fixing car and household 220v 32A max stuff. nothing more.

thank you so much for your help
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:38:25 am by __-_-_-__ »

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
Re: yet again noob looking for cheap multimeter
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 11:45:54 am »
That is a huge topic. You should give an idea of what you expect to be using your DMM for, and cheap means different things to different users, so a price range will get you better advice. Welcome to the forum.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 11:47:09 am »
nothing fancy. fixing car and household 220v 32A max stuff

Nothing fancy you say, just the very powerful grid. Just buy something from a reputable manufacturer. if you are doing low voltage anything that looks decent will do.

Interesting username......

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 12:00:14 pm »
I'm looking for the cheapest safe multimeter with auto range.

I'll use it for small projects. nothing fancy. fixing car and household 220v 32A max stuff. nothing more.

Fluke 101 for the mains work, around $45 delivered.

If you need to measure amps get a clamp meter, eg. Uni-T UT210E.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 12:08:49 pm »
there is always of course the excellent Brymen235 :). no multimeter will take 32A as suggesten a current clamp will be easier to obtain.

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 12:40:37 pm »
Something to consider since you are living in the EU as the mains is at  240volts would be a Fluke for safety.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 12:56:57 pm »
yea he said that, 220V. most of Europe is on 220V and in the Uk we are on 240V. 230 was chosen as a happy medium.

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 01:15:15 pm »
thank you for all the replies.
well I mainly play with 12v and repair notebook chargers and things like that. I said 220v 32A bc that's what I have at home and I might want to do some housework but since I need something so expensive for that I might ditch that requirement.
tbh I'm just a noob messing around with electronics and need a meter that doesn't blow up in my face.
as for what cheap means it's just that. I just want the cheapest one that is safe, I also want auto range. just that. plain and simple just like my lack of skills.
do I really have to pay 50€ for a fluke? isn't there any other option? :(

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 01:51:47 pm »
isn't there any other option? :(

Plenty of people will argue that if you only touch mains once or twice per year and that if you double and triple check that the meter is on the right range and the probes are connected to the right connectors then you'll survive. Wear work gloves and safety glasses, too.

Others might point out that you don't need to see the voltage reading of mains AC (it almost never reads the wrong value!) and you can test it more safely with a light bulb on a wire (with suitable probes, obviously) than with a multimeter. If it's a mains socket you want to test then just plug in a lamp instead.

You could also get something like a $20 ANENG 860B+. The main danger from multimeters is when they're on the current ranges, this meter has both the current inputs on separate sockets so it takes a deliberate act to use them. So long as the probe is connected to the V/Ohms socket then you're reasonably safe. Remember to swap the leads back after you measure current to avoid accidents, and never, ever try to measure current of AC mains. If the leads are connected to one of the current input sockets and you're moving towards a mains wire then you're doing it very wrong.

do I really have to pay 50€ for a fluke

50€ is cheap around here.  :popcorn:

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 01:56:37 pm »
yea a fluke for 50 anythings is cheap.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 02:09:01 pm »
I guess the ANENG 860B+ would be nice. if I'm going to measure something dangerous I'll make sure to quadruple check but anyway 95% of the times I'll use it for 9-12v stuff

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 04:18:33 pm »
You can also look at my list for ideas to good meters: https://lygte-info.dk/info/DMMReviews.html

The following users thanked this post: __-_-_-__

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 04:19:15 pm »
There is a new meter out that will fit your needs.  Its a Meterk, it sells for about 10usd on Amazon.  I don't know what the shipping costs are to Portugal but if you check it seems you can get it for about 15usd shipped to everywhere on the planet.  There are a few you tube reviews on it including one by Joe Smith.  He didn't like it but I'd buy it anyway. 

The following users thanked this post: __-_-_-__

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 04:37:40 pm »
You can also look at my list for ideas to good meters: https://lygte-info.dk/info/DMMReviews.html
I've been visiting your website for years bc of batteries and absolutely love it. I'm a fan. tkx!

There is a new meter out that will fit your needs.  Its a Meterk, it sells for about 10usd on Amazon.  I don't know what the shipping costs are to Portugal but if you check it seems you can get it for about 15usd shipped to everywhere on the planet.  There are a few you tube reviews on it including one by Joe Smith.  He didn't like it but I'd buy it anyway.
gonna buy that one

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf