Author Topic: Using a Keysight DSA90604A as an EMI Sniffer  (Read 611 times)

Offline Gandalf_SrTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Using a Keysight DSA90604A as an EMI Sniffer
« on: March 05, 2020, 01:54:49 pm »
I have a friend who has a DSA90604A and wants to go sniffing for EMI issues.  I suggested that he get some Beehive probes (although he could clearly afford better).  Questions:
1. Can the DSA90604A be used as a sniffer or is a real spectrum analyzer needed?
2. If the DSA90604A can be used, will it need a preamp to go with the probes?
3. He also has a Tek TDS5104B but I think that can't do the job, am I right?

Thanks in advance for any comments, input, or advice
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: Using a Keysight DSA90604A as an EMI Sniffer
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 02:39:53 pm »
I have a friend who has a DSA90604A and wants to go sniffing for EMI issues.  I suggested that he get some Beehive probes (although he could clearly afford better).  Questions:
1. Can the DSA90604A be used as a sniffer or is a real spectrum analyzer needed?

Well, it does have pretty good FFT but at the end of the day it's an 8bit scope so it has very limited dynamic range. But yes, it is possible.

2. If the DSA90604A can be used, will it need a preamp to go with the probes?

I don't know, that depends on what level of emissions he expects and the sensitivity of the probes (which I don't know).

3. He also has a Tek TDS5104B but I think that can't do the job, am I right?

The TDS is pretty old and slow, and if I remember right FFT was an option and was pretty poor even by the standards back then.

Thanks in advance for any comments, input, or advice

Well, the fact that he considers a 1GHz Tek antique tells me that 1GHz BW is enough, so depending on how often this is needed it might make sense to just buy some new entry-level spectrum analyzer like the Rigol DSA or Siglent SSA and be done with it.

If it has to be scopes, though, then the DSA will be vastly superior over the Tektronix scope.

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf