Author Topic: 100$ Thermal Camera 32x32 Pixel. HTi HT-02D Unboxing And Test (future teardown)  (Read 2048 times)

Offline madsbarnkobTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Kaizer Power Electronics
For as long as I have done electronics, I have dreamed about owning a thermal camera. Actually from my time in the army many years back I have dreamed about the huge thermal camera with cryo-cooled optics that we used for some anti-vehicle systems. Many times have I checked ebay and skipped the idea again, due to price.

My research showed me that there is a huge difference from the very cheap 8x8 pixel thermal cameras bare PCB modules, to the 32x32 handheld and up to the 160x120++ versions. The price seems to quadruple with the pixel count. I skipped looking at the smartphone versions as I wanted a stand alone model that was not dependant on a certain app and smartphone firmware to work.

In this video I am testing the HTi HT02D Thermal camera that I was able to get at 100$ on offer. This is not a paid/non-paid advertisement, my own money, test and conclusion.

Best bet to find these at a decent price is to run through ebay and send off a lot of "make offer" of 100$ on the 150-200$ auctions. But is it worth it? Lets find out!

Conclusion: You get thermal imaging with a fairly good temperature range that indicates precise enough to find the hottest chip on a PCB. Resolution and focal distance is not suited for small electronics, future improvements with a ZnSe laser lens for 4" focal distance will be an idea. Mis-alignment of thermal and normal camera is kind of a minor thing with the low resolution, but it is still a nuisance.

A future video will feature a teardown of the unit to see what sensor and electronics is used in this unit.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
The price seems to quadruple with the pixel count.

I've been looking at this for some time and if you divide the cost of a camera by the number of pixels you get a surprisingly straight line (certainly once you cross the 160x120 threshhold).

There are obvious reasons for divergence - a high-end, calibrated camera with exquisite optics will be correspondingly more expensive - but, by and large, expect to pay something like 1 to 1.5 US cents per pixel. (As resolution increases the cost per pixel reduces slightly).

By my calculation a 1280x960 uncooled LWIR camera should cost about $12,000. We can but hope.
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
I guess nobody really had the motivation to build the spreadsheet and run the price analysis.

I will let you know what the price for 1920x1200 pixels is - should I hear back from Sierra Olympic.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
The video quality from those Sierra Olympic cameras looks stunning.

When I win the lottery...

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
@Lord of nothing - I didn't spot anything higher than 640x512 on the Hikvision site. Did I miss something?

The following users thanked this post: Lord of nothing

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
 ;D I font know all there Products.
Well my price for that is 575€ sound good.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
 :scared: I orderd the HT-19 it seem to there newest model.
I got them for € 424,62 and I should get 20% Cash back. If the gave it to me its damn cheap.
HT-18: 220*160
HT-19: 320*240

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf