Author Topic: 200-250€ camera for PCB work?  (Read 3820 times)

Offline tomasisTopic starter

• Contributor
200-250€ camera for PCB work?
« on: September 18, 2022, 02:53:42 pm »
Hi,

im looking for a camera for PCB work. Guide PC210 or Uti 260B look nice but I dont afford them so im looking for one in half price.

Would UTI690A with macrolens work? do you have other recommendations?

thanks in advance

• Contributor
Re: 200-250€ camera for PCB work?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 04:25:22 pm »
i couldnt wait and i ordered 690a  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Bonnie.Liran

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 05:14:09 pm »
Tomasis,

Lower resolution can still be made to work well with PCB analysis if you can use a close-up lens to get closer to the target.

The camera lens field of view will also influence the results. By way of an example, consider the following…

Thermal camera A has a 320 x 240 pixel microbolometer and 24 Degree field of view (good general specs for PCB work)

Thermal camera B has a 320 x 240 pixel microbolometer and a 48 Degree field of view lens

Thermal camera C has a 160 x 120 pixel microbolometer and a 24 Degree field of view lens

Thermal camera D has a 160 x 120 pixel microbolometer and a 12 Degree field of view lens

An object is being observed with Thermal camera ‘A’ at a distance of 30cm. What has to be done for cameras B,C and D to produce the same amount of resolution related detail of the target ? …….

Camera B will need to be positioned at half the distance from the target (15cm)

Camera C will need to be positioned at half the distance from the target (15cm)

Camera D will need to be positioned at the same distance as camera A (30cm)

As you decrease the field of view to compensate for lower optical FPA resolution you also reduce the target scene area that may be viewed. The same is true as you move closer to the target. This is an acceptable compromise in many PCB analysis scenarios.

In the case of your UTI-260A camera you will likely need to select a short focus distance ZnSe supplemental lens to compensate for the low FPA resolution. I would recommend a ZnSe lens that provides focus at 50mm distance plus maybe one that provides 25mm focus distance for looking at very small SMD components. You can go down to 15mm focus distance lenses but it can sometimes be challenging to get that close to a PCBA if there are tall components such as large electrolytic capacitors or heatsinks present.

Obviously you would be better served by a camera offering a higher resolution but you are working within a tight budget and so compromises are needed. The UTI-260A should meet your needs  :-+ I have even used 80 x 60 pixel thermal cameras for basic PCB analysis. That still worked well enough to spot unusual areas of heat or cold and was far from useless even at such low resolution.

Hope this helps

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 06:57:30 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: tomasis

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 10:19:53 pm »
thanks, i did read pew85 thread, that's why i ordered. I knew it'd be good enough for me.

I will get 20mm FL50.8 and FL25.4 like you advise. I prob repair boards/electronics max 10 times per year. Also use it for general use (cooking, house insulation, automotive).

I bet the prices drop in future and we see bigger sensors :) I think 200 eur is reasonable for amateurs especially 25 fps :o:-+

Offline Rambo Sonny

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 08:16:08 am »
consider about Infiray P2 pro. just release to market. I got a P2 in hand, 256*192 detector. around $250. size is amazing small, image is clear enough.

The following users thanked this post: thermalengineer

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 12:31:57 pm »
both T2S+ and 2 Pro cost 350-400. P2 needs macro lens. For same price, Guide PC210 is nice.

Nice to have a separate device. USB connection is pain in ass as it stops working at some point. I have to rely on wireless charging for Samsung S21 lol.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 12:32:45 pm »
any detailed information, is there a link for it

i dont see a link  :-//

Offline MLXXXp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 09:23:14 pm »
I would recommend a ZnSe lens that provides focus at 50mm distance

Would this be a suitable lens, as you described? (The 12mm diameter, 50.8mm focal length one.)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000570268415.html

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 09:27:47 pm »
Yes. So long as you buy one with a large enough diameter for your particular camera. Look at the threads discussing your model of camera to establish the diameter of lens required. IIRC the 12mm lens will work with the Uni-T UTi-260a and UTi-260b cameras. It should also work fine with the UTi-690 models as well.

CVD lenses are better performing than PVD but cost a little more. In your application it may not make much difference though.

Fraser
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 09:34:01 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: MLXXXp

Offline MLXXXp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2022, 10:17:00 pm »
Yes. So long as you buy one with a large enough diameter for your particular camera.

CVD lenses are better performing than PVD but cost a little more.

Thanks @Fraser

This is for a UTi260B. I decided to get a CVD lens, 20mm dia. just in case, even though you said 12mm will probably work.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32311649296.html

I'll make something similar to this for it:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004402403633.html

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 10:21:11 pm »
Good call,

I always buy the 20mm diameter as then you are using the centre area of the lens rather than the lower optical performance outer area.  :-+

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: MLXXXp, thermalengineer

Offline thermalengineer

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2022, 03:31:39 am »

Offline Bonnie.Liran

• Hello there, this is a super fan of thermal camera
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 07:43:19 am »
Hello, buddy, how about infiray P2 and T2S+ ? I heard they have new model of P2pro. These models are applicable for the PCB boards checking.

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2022, 10:34:09 am »
You can take a look at Infiray's T2S+ ;)

Why would they ?

The T2S+ is a phone attach sensor head, the request is for a COMPLETE CAMERA.

Suggest asking your training supervisor at Infiray what the difference is and which of your products might actually be suitable.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2022, 03:44:34 pm »
its okay .. complete camera or not.

One can build 3d printed grip, a holder for phone plus a camera holder separately so it resembles the typical thermal camera.

I saw that P2 dropped in price so the UniT with 2x Laser lenses equals to a P2 camera.. Other Infiray camerac cost from €350 and above.

So P2 is still relevant despite shortcomings.

Offline markb1980

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2022, 11:49:13 am »
I have tryed a InfiRay P2 Pro with the magnetic macro adapter (see 2nd sample). I would say if you want a cheap and capeable camera and you don't mind it's a phone accessory instead of a standalone camera give it a try...

If you prefer a standalone camera have a look at the InfiRay C200 or GuideIR PC210 - both can be found at Aliexpress sometimes for 350 USD.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 11:51:58 am by markb1980 »
Pentester, Digital forensics examiner, Data recovery technitian, Author for various books
Learn thermal imaging: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5KXF41Q/ | https://www.facebook.com/groups/1816479168568552 | https://thermal-image-samples.com/thermal-pixel-peeping/

Offline katzenhai2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2022, 09:47:16 pm »
Also keep in mind that the Infiray P2 Pro has a NETD of ≤50mk that was measured with a f1.0 lens. But the P2 Pro has a f1.1 lens so this equals to a real NETD of ≤60mk (formula see below). For PCB inspections okay but if you want to use it for other purposes there are better thermal cameras already on the market with low as ≤35mk that has a lens with f1.0 (as tested for their NETD).

Formula:
SQR( [f of used lens] ) * [NETD Specification] = Real NETD of device

Example (Specification of NETD: ≤50mk with f1.0, but using f1.1 lens)
SQR( 1.1 ) * 50 = ≤60.5mk
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 11:46:41 pm by katzenhai2 »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2022, 12:11:55 pm »
Be a little careful when focussing on manufacturers NeTD figures. NeTD is a long abused specification in the World of thermal imaging systems marketing ! This has been discussed several times previously on this forum. For true low noise thermography you are in the realm of cooled thermal imaging systems that can reduce the internal noise of the detector in order to provide amazing thermal scene sensitivity or permit the use of slower lenses for still acceptable MRTD.

MRTD is often a more reliable indicator of a thermal imaging systems sensitivity as it provides an insight into what can actually be detected with a complete  thermal imaging system, rather than a laboratory conditions NeTD test of a sensor and F1.0 lens combination. There have been many cases of NeTD being stated that cannot, in the real world, be achieved without little tricks in software that give a false impression of true detector or sensor NeTD.

Increased resolution at affordable prices is definitely something many of us on this forum hope for. That said, affordable higher resolution microbolometers will use the smallest possible pixel size to achieve small die sizes. Such small pixels can lead to lower signal to noise ratio in the system and so poorer MRTD. ASIA is producing some very interesting microbolometer technology now but there appears a desire to produce FPA’s with 256 x 192 pixels as the main mass market product. This may be the sweet spot where microbolometer yield, production cost, NeTD and image quality conjoin to create a viable profit model for the OEM. Increasing resolution may increase reduction costs exponentially and the makers of the thermal cameras are mainly interested in making affordable mass produced thermal cameras that can be sold in large numbers with decent margins. The Consumer market is very different to that of the Science and Military markets where imaging performance can drive development of systems that are expensive to manufacture.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:22:58 pm by Fraser »

The following users thanked this post: katzenhai2

Offline katzenhai2

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2022, 04:10:49 pm »
Be a little careful when focussing on manufacturers NeTD figures. NeTD is a long abused specification in the World of thermal imaging systems marketing ! [...]
You're right. The NeTD information is no absolute number and can mean different things between competitors. It also depends on so many other things such as internal image processing, processing quality and the like how good a thermal camera is in terms of correct measurement.

I don't see the numbers as absolute but if one manufacturer advertises e.g. ≤40mk and the other launches a new camera and says ≤35mk then he must see that he has an appropriately perceptible thermal resolution in order to be able to match or surpass the competition. In this respect I see the NeTD information as a reference or comparative value. Another manufacturer will have worse thermal resolution if they advertise ≤70mk instead. At least thats my impression so far.

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2022, 06:17:41 pm »

I don't see the numbers as absolute but if one manufacturer advertises e.g. ≤40mk and the other launches a new camera and says ≤35mk then he must see that he has an appropriately perceptible thermal resolution in order to be able to match or surpass the competition. In this respect I see the NeTD information as a reference or comparative value. Another manufacturer will have worse thermal resolution if they advertise ≤70mk instead. At least thats my impression so far.

Not necessarily.....

The older ULIS (Lynred) ASi are quoted at <100 / 120mK, but exceed this by a lot.
Their later detectors are quoted at <60mK, and always were.
All detectors tested and any over NETD went in the bin.

Many other manufacturers either quote 'typical < 50 mK' .  What does that even mean ?
Maybe that 49% of their detectors are over 50mK ?

The following users thanked this post: katzenhai2

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf