Author Topic: Any thermal camera with non-TN display?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline cejobaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Any thermal camera with non-TN display?
« on: December 02, 2022, 01:54:52 pm »
I realized that despite the advance technologies thermal cameras have, all models I saw are still using TN LCD panel, which I found annoying.
Are there any known thermal camera that use IPS/VA/OLED panel?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: Any thermal camera with non-TN display?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 03:24:00 pm »
If you have a particular preference for a display technology, it might be worth considering taking the Thermal Camera Dongle path and marry it to a high quality mobile phone that uses the size and technology of display that you want. There are some decent thermal camera dongles available but sadly this solution might end up quite expensive as a complete system. I bought used modern mobile phones with faults that did not effect use as a thermal camera host  :-+ My Samsung S9 cost me £70 and is ‘as new’ with a modern 5.8” Super AMOLED HDR10 display. It produces lovely picture quality. It’s only fault is not accepting a SIM card due to SIM socket damage.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: cejoba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 03:52:39 pm »
Thank you Fraser.
I was actually expecting you to give examples on expensive models, but you didn't mention them. So those really expensive ones are also using TN?  :palm:
I don't like the phone solutions, I don't know how to express the reason, I just don't like to rely on external host for thermal imaging, especially a phone.
Right now I'm using "field monitor" for thermal cameras, that's why I always make sure they have "direct" video output, such as composite or HDMI. But they make each time setup more complex, and almost impossible to be "portable", or use on the move.
Why can't they just make an IPS version of models like Flir Ex, I'll buy it for 1.5x price...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 03:54:54 pm by cejoba »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2022, 05:20:35 pm »
Part of the reason may be that thermal cameras are, by their very nature, low resolution devices. Modern IPS and AMOLED displays may be considered more appropriate in higher resolution applications. I understand your desire to have nice quality displays on thermal cameras but sadly cannot offer any suggestions for such at the moment. I will check to see if the new FOTRIC cameras use better display technology.

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2022, 05:25:59 pm »
I thought I had seen IPS display mentioned in the FOTRIC sales literature, and I was correct…

https://www.fotric.com/product-page/fotric-345a

https://www.fotric.com/product-page/fotric-348a

The full range of their cameras is available to see here……

https://www.fotric.com/products

They seem to be using high resolution IPS mobile phone display technology.

FOTRIC cameras are very nice performers but not always easy to source. FOTRIC offered me a test camera in the UK so it may be worth asking them for your nearest dealer.

I have the FOTRIC 226B with a Samsung S9 mounted in its phone clamp :) Works well and was a very affordable SLR format camera solution for me.

Fraser
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 12:37:52 pm by Fraser »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2022, 12:17:28 pm »
Thank you fraser.
I'm not going to buy such a camera soon, this thread is more of a discussion of this strange situation that bothers me for a long time.
Part of the reason may be that thermal cameras are, by their very nature, low resolution devices. Modern IPS and AMOLED displays may be considered more appropriate in higher resolution applications.
I thought this before, but there are many IPS screens with 320x240 or lower resolution, and they are not so expensive.
I guess maybe it's just marketing related?

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2022, 05:54:17 pm »
A few reasons..... mainly cost to change

Displays may not get changed very often, and once a known OK one is chosen it probably lasts the life of the surrounding case. 
Change is not easy mechanically (all displays are slightly different) or electrically (some differences, if less so recently).

Camera displays need to work over wide temperatures, so again once selected remain a stable choice rather than check out something newer.

Cameras running PAL ( 384x288, 786x576) have a lot less choice.

Will many pay ANY extra for an IPS ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2022, 11:59:48 am »
Thank you Bill.
I think many (most older firefighting) cameras are using analog signal to feed the display module, so they are not pixel-perfect anyway...

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 02:38:00 pm »
Thank you Bill.
I think many (most older firefighting) cameras are using analog signal to feed the display module, so they are not pixel-perfect anyway...

Back to around 2005 that would be true, say models Argus3 / ISG K90 / Bullard T3 / MSA 5000.

After that though Argus4 was direct drive (at 320x240 with NTSC out on some).  Some ISG however used the full sensor array (384x288) LCD direct drive, and so with a PAL output option and a wacky sized LCD. 
In Argus4 the composite video formatting was AFTER the digital LCD takeoff.

Current ULIS & Chinese sensors are 'PAL based format' 384x288 etc, so cameras using the full array would need a similar format display, or need to do a nasty reformat, or analogue video,  into a higher res display and hope it does not look too bad.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf