Author Topic: Broken Seek Compact to a good home  (Read 1192 times)

Offline bostwickenatorTopic starter

• Contributor
Broken Seek Compact to a good home
« on: January 04, 2020, 04:03:49 pm »
I made a stupid mistake working on my Seek Compact and snapped some of the gold sensor die bond wires :palm:. If you have the tooling to repair these I'll happily send you the unit for free, otherwise it's just going to sit in my broken but to expensive to throw out pile. (US only export restrictions and whatnot)

Offline IwuzBornanerd

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Broken Seek Compact to a good home
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 01:55:28 am »
You might also be able to sell it for parts.  For instance, if the lens & its mount are still good; and the USB connector & flex are intact.  ...OR if you have another Seek you might need parts in the future.  :)

Can you provide a clearly focused photo showing how messed up the wires are?
I am not opposed to exercise, unless it is an exercise in futility.

Offline bostwickenatorTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 01:37:24 am »
I grabbed a shot of the bond wires for those who are interested
909004-0

Offline IwuzBornanerd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 09:01:00 am »
 Nice photo, thank you.  :-+

I have bumped some of the wires on mine & was able to nudge them back into proper spacing with a scalpel but have not broken any yet.  As close as the lid structure is to those wires it's a wonder I haven't done worse.  :scared:

Without taking a fresh look at mine under the microscope I was thinking that maaaayyyybe it would be possible to straighten yours out and, with a fine wire extension fitted to a soldering iron tip, solder them back together--IF they were merely broken somewhere in the middle.  But it looks like some of yours are pulled off of the chip and your 1mm scale is a quick wake-up to the potential fantasy of that notion (0.01" between wires!).  Need to get smaller piano wire. :D  Sometimes you can do things with crude equipment but this probably does need the proper equipment for the job... which I don't have.
I am not opposed to exercise, unless it is an exercise in futility.

Offline ArsenioDev

• Regular Contributor
    • DiscountMissiles: my portfolio and landing page
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 05:10:01 pm »
I wonder if Sam Zeloof would be interested, he has a wire bonder. Gonna go give him a shout, would make for an interesting twitter thread at least

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf