Author Topic: Cannot decide between InfiRay T2L and P2  (Read 6139 times)

Offline chrossTopic starter

Cannot decide between InfiRay T2L and P2
« on: October 02, 2021, 08:54:24 am »
Hi!
I want to buy a thermal imager for various things. Does not need to be the most precise measurement. It is more of a fun thing for me, but I also want to do some basic stuff like finding thermal leakages of my houses insulation or of some badly insulated pipes etc.
A have narrowed it down to the T2L and P2, now I need the last bit of information to finally decide.

The T2L has a FOV of 33,4 while the P2 has a FOV of 56. 56 is more like human vision in terms of how large the area is that can be imaged. The T2L has manual focus which is quite useful, I presume, if I want good quality images. I am also a hobby photographer and can see some (artistic) uses for this kind of imaging.

Could someone make a photo of a face (or face sized object) that is frame filling and tell me (for each camera) how far he is away from that face/object?

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
Re: Cannot decide between InfiRay T2L and P2
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 12:00:21 pm »
I don't have either of those cameras but I do approach my thermal imaging from the photography front.

If the resolution is the same, I'd definitely recommend going for the narrower FoV and manual focus. That gives you the greatest flexibility.

There's considerable discussion on the merits of different approaches (and a lot of representative images) in the two gallery threads:

Gallery I

Gallery II

The second gallery was started because the first one broke due to some arcane forum limitation.
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Super Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 12:14:25 pm »
I made some specific comments about choice of thermal imager for artistic use here (many others have also contributed valid viewpoints).

There are a number of sample high resolution thermal images (multi-megapixel) around (examples here, here, here, here, here, here - you will need to hit the little 'download this photo' icon bottom-right of the black area to get at the actual high resolution versions, which go up to some 40 megapixels). None of these would have been possible with a wide field of view thermal camera.

I'm a firm believer in interchangeable lenses, but there aren't that many affordable thermal cameras on the market with swappable optics.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 12:30:53 pm by Ultrapurple »
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Offline chrossTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 02:09:24 pm »
Thank you so much for your viewpoint. I am also leaning towards the T2L (focusable) and your post as well as some images gave me the right nudge.
I'm ordering the T2L now.

Offline SamHeat

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 04:23:27 pm »
First post on this forum,  :) . I have the T2L and P2, as well as the T2 Search. It is interesting that InfiRay dongle thermal cameras use different software apps. P2 and T2L have more in-app features than the Search but I prefer the 9mm lens on the T2 Search for my uses.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 04:35:53 pm »
I was trying to obtain the Windows SDK for the T2L and its S0 core. Sadly Infiray have not supplied me with it yet. The Infiray S0 core that is found inside the T2L is not recognised by the T2L Android App so there may be a USB PID check. Such could also be used to differentiate between the T2 models. The P2 may use the smaller Infiray Tiny1 core but I do not have confirmation of this.

What VID and PID is shown for the T2L and T2 Search please ? These both use the S0 core but with different lenses.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 05:20:59 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline SamHeat

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 04:02:03 pm »
Fraser, see the image attached

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 05:38:21 pm »
Interesting. They are not using the USB PID to identify the different camera models as my S0 is the same. It would appear that the product ID resides in the firmware.

Thanks for sharing the USB information  :-+

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Krevedko007

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 06:56:13 pm »
I have the T2L and P2, as well as the T2 Search.
Can you please take a picture with each thermal imager from the same place and measure the distance to the object? I find it difficult to choose a thermal imager based on their viewing angle ...
And also - can you change the lens from T2 to T2L and how will they work?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 07:18:28 am by Krevedko007 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf