Author Topic: Cheap new basic thermal camera on eBay - Multicomp / Uni-T + teardown  (Read 16333 times)

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: Cheap new basic thermal camera on eBay - Multicomp / Uni-T + teardown
« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2023, 12:52:40 pm »
With the release of the many new thermal camera models during and after the Pandemic it is fair to say that low resolution cameras, such as detailed in this thread, are now less attractive unless at bargain prices. Even at low prices it is worth considering the fact that cameras offering 256 x 192 pixels are now not that expensive. The improvement in image of those units over a 80 x 60 pixel camera is significant in almost all applications. I used to consider my minimum recommend resolution for PCB work to be 160 x 120 pixels but with recent camera releases, I agree that 256 x 192 pixels is a good choice if the price is right. I bought 160 x 120 pixel Hikvision DS-2TP31B and DS-2TP21B cameras at bargain prices and they are definitely very useable for PCB inspection work during repairs. So my 160 x 120 pixel minimum specification for PCB work remains valid, but 256 x 192 is obviously better if the camera is decent and the price competitive. 320 x 240 pixels is even better if the price is right  :-+

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 03:51:43 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2023, 04:16:15 pm »
Regarding whether an 80 x 60 pixel camera still has something to offer ….. in my opinion such a camera is definitely better than having to use an IR Thermometer as the pixel size on target is smaller and there is some context to a thermal image. I have tested a 80 x 60 pixel camera on PCB repairs and it is a fact that you do not need a high resolution thermal camera to see that a component or IC is getting hot when it should not. Higher resolution does make it easier to identify exactly which component is generating the heat, but the use of a 80 x 60 pixel camera plus some iPA for evaporation tests is still very effective in my experience. If you already own an 80 x 60 pixel camera, there is no need to upgrade unless finances make such easy. Spending $15 on a ZnSe CO2 laser focus close-up lens for such a camera is not a waste if it makes the camera more useable, possibly avoiding the need to spend more money on an upgrade.

As a side comment,, a long time ago (in thermal imaging history terms) a company called IRISYS made people counting sensors that used a 16 x 16 pixel pyroelectric thermal sensor. That company adapted the technology to produce an affordable thermal camera for Industry. The IRI1001 was born. That camera used a 16 x 16 pixel FPA , the data from which was interpolated up to 128 x 128 pixels ! Now I would be the first to say that the capabilities of such a thermal camera would be severely limited by the very low resolution of ten thermal sensor array, but that camera was better than nothing in many applications where a ‘full fat’ thermal camera could not be afforded and it did serve its owners well until better affordable technology was developed. More recently that same company, IRISYS, developed the VT02 and VT04 “visual thermometers” for FLUKE. The VT02 was basically an updated version of the IRI1001/IRI1002 that used a similar 16 x 16 thermal imaging sensor array with its image data interpolated up to the resolution of the built in display. The thermal image was combined with a visible light image to provide context to the very low resolution thermal image. The VT04 used 32 x 32 pixels and was supposed to be the “advanced” model  ;D Those visual thermometers were effectively a  ‘poor man’s’ thermal imager but they were not so cheap ! FLUKE’s mother company ended up buying IRISYS for their advanced people counting technology.

Compared to the FLUKE VT02 and VT04, a humble 80 x 60 pixels thermal imaging camera suddenly looks very appealing !  ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 04:20:37 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2023, 04:24:46 pm »
I use UTi80P as a general purpose camera around the house, it is actually useful to track heat/cold related issues, as well as quickly diagnose bigger electric circuits.
But I agree with the point that such low resolution is may not be that useful for close up of PCBs. I will ask for a macro lens to try few times just to be sure.

Form factor of UTi80P is very nice and portable, it does not require a phone to work. Any suggestions in similar form factor?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf