Author Topic: FLIR Boson 320 or Therm-App Hz  (Read 611 times)

Offline TooQik

• Contributor
FLIR Boson 320 or Therm-App Hz
« on: January 21, 2019, 10:03:43 pm »
Hi all,

I'm currently looking to buy a thermal camera and am trying to weigh up the pros and cons between the FLIR Boson 320 Full Frame Rate Professional Version (<50mK NEDT) and the Therm-App Hz.

On paper the Therm-App Hz wins in thermal array size, thermal sensitivity, price and lens changeability, while the Boson wins on frame rate, thermal range and expandability.

For anyone with experience with either, or both, of these cameras, which camera would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Bill W

• Frequent Contributor
    • Fire TICS
Re: FLIR Boson 320 or Therm-App Hz
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 01:30:23 am »
These are quite different products, so I think that your plans for interfacing is the most relevant question.

ThermApp is a good sensor on a phone-attach head, it is a finished end product once you provide the phone.

Boson is a good sensor in a camera core for a system rather than a finished end product.  It does plug into a PC, or there are various output adaptor PCB's.

Temperature readout on the Boson costs more.
Not all Boson have the same dynamic range, although all are over the 90°C quoted of Therm-App.
All Boson go to black when looking at hot objects over their temperature limit, don't know about Therm-App's.

Bill

The following users thanked this post: TooQik

Offline TooQik

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 08:17:51 pm »
Thanks Bill, appreciate the feedback.

One of the attractions of the Boson, as you've pointed out,  is the fact it's a core rather than a completed product, this gives me some flexibility in usage, particularly interfacing. Obviously this comes with extra cost if I decide I want to use a different interface.

I'm aware that both the Professional and Industrial versions have a low and high gain temperature mode which the Consumer version lacks, is this what you're referring to when you say the temperature readout on the Boson costs more? Or are you referring to something else entirely?

This world of thermal imaging is new to me, so I'll be doing lots of research before I make any decision on which direction I take.

Offline Ultrapurple

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 02:48:22 am »
I agree with the comments Bill made.

All Boson go to black when looking at hot objects over their temperature limit, don't know about Therm-App's.

The Therm-App cameras generally continue to work OK when looking at very hot objects - for example, the element in the fan heater.

If you show the Therm-App a large area that's very very hot then the hottest areas become streaky:

or if there are small-ish areas that are much hotter than the average scene it will peak out, just like a bright spot in a photo, but that's a software thing not an intrinsic sensor issue:

Finally, if you keep it pointed at a very very hot thing (eg filming the inside of a toaster for several minutes) then the relevant parts of the sensor actually heat up and for a while you'll get a ghostly reminder of what you were looking at.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 03:05:27 am by Ultrapurple »
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 06:35:23 am »
I took a photo of almost identical heater as Ultrapurple, but with TE Q1+:

Android app produces pretty bad images due to strong jpg compression, but with export to csv you can get some nice images...

Left from android app, right from exported csv (and upscaled with waifu2x):
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:52:01 am by frenky »

Offline Vipitis

• Frequent Contributor
  • aspiring thermal photography enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 10:21:50 am »
That is a really big difference in image quality, is the whole process possible to do directly on the phone?

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 06:21:01 pm »
Sadly no.
A while ago I made a test android application for Q1 but it does not work any more (no sure why).
With custom android app it would be possible to export in 384x288 png or tiff format which would improve image quality greatly.

It would probably be easier to make android app which converts from csv files to png files on the phone.
But I have a very limited knowledge of android development so that would take me a lot of time which I do not have...

EDIT:
I have just noticed that I posted my photos in a wrong thread. I wanted to post it in "Thermal Expert Q1, Xtherm T3s, Thermapp Basic" in which OP is actually considering TE Q1.
I apologise for off-topic in this thread.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 05:11:57 pm by frenky »

Offline TooQik

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 07:01:28 pm »
Not a problem frenky. Very nice picture btw, is export to csv something particular to the Thermal Expert cameras? Or is this something most thermal cameras do?

Thanks for the clarification and further information regarding the Therm-App Hz Ultrapurple.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:24:57 pm by TooQik »

Offline Ultrapurple

• Frequent Contributor
  • Just zis guy, you know?
    • Therm-App Users on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 09:07:21 pm »
I only have relevant experience of the Therm-App cameras. Some of the driver software can produce CSV (or similar) outputs. ThermViewer certainly can; I am pretty sure ThermApp Plus can too, but the 'stock' app that comes with the camera does not have the facility. Several output formats are selectable in the first two apps, ranging from absolute temperature 16-bit TIFF through to radiometric data compatible with things like FLIR software and IRT Cronista.
Rubber bands bridge the gap between WD40 and duct tape.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf