Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3790577 times)

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #1800 on: November 26, 2013, 04:17:00 pm »
Just for interest's sake, is it possible to buy a replacement lens or will that also need recalibration? And how much would it cost?
I very much doubt that the problem results from the lens. Something at the surface of the lens will be so much out of focus, it would be hard to notice it. Definately not only 4-5 pixel wide. More likely something lays on the sensor. Maybe a piece of plastic (from mounting)
You may screw out the lens completely and then blow directly onto the sensor and you can also clean the bottom side of the lens. Even turning it only a few degrees will show if the spot moves too.

Offline JockeT

• Contributor
« Reply #1801 on: November 26, 2013, 05:41:14 pm »
I noticed a spot on my lens, which I tried to clean with a Q-Tip soaked in some isopropyl alcohol and canned air. The spot is still there but now I have a small circular spot on my thermal images as well  :( It's quite hard to see after powering up the E4, but gets more prominent after some time. That circle is shown to be a little warmer than the surrounding environment, except when I point the camera to a hot surface, then it seems to be colder.

Since any dirt on the lens should be out of focus (?), did I somehow manage to move dust or oil droplets inside the housing to the sensor surface by blowing on the lens?

I had a spot in my image as well, see the picture in my post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg329239/#msg329239

It behaved much like yours, seeming warmer than the surrounds, except when pointing at something hot.
This turned out to be a speck of dust on the sensor. I took the camera apart as per mikes instructions and used a camera sensor dusting ball to clean it after which the spot was gone.

If you do, be very careful to mark the original position of the lens, if it's off just a tiny bit you'll be pretty far out of focus at infinity (it took me several iterations to get it back even though i marked it well).

Also, download the full E4 manual from FLIRs site and browse to page 21. There you have directions for cleaning the lens, including recommended liquids.
Cotton wool with IPA at concentrations ABOVE 30%, among many other much stronger solvents, is recommended. I doubt you have damaged it.

http://support.flir.com/DocDownload/Assets/92/English/T559828-en-US$AB.pdf

Edit: Added manual URL
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:47:52 pm by JockeT »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1802 on: November 26, 2013, 05:54:34 pm »
Blimey, I just read the manuals section on lens cleaning. I am surprised at the content, but they make the things, so know best. I personally would not worry too much about IPA on a Germanium lens if care is used, but going near it with acetone makes me shiver because acetone can be so harmful to plastics. The lens holder must be resistant to solvents ?
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline JockeT

• Contributor
« Reply #1803 on: November 26, 2013, 06:47:43 pm »
Yeah, i'd probably stay away from acetone. Hell, i'd stay away from touching the lens with anything unless absolutely required.
I mainly wanted to set his mind at ease regarding possible damage to the lens, i'm not really looking to give out maintenance tips.. :)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1804 on: November 26, 2013, 09:11:02 pm »
Indeed.

I have seen a 'blooming' effect on glass lenses after the use of IPA. It may be that the lens just needs a very gentle wipe with a glasses cleaning microfiber cloth after 'huffing' on the lens ? Very low risk if you are gentle and it may solve the 'halo' problem
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline KingVidiot

• Contributor
« Reply #1805 on: November 26, 2013, 09:33:14 pm »
I thought the floors and some of the chairs in there would have been a LOT hotter...

Actually, the thermal camera cannot see through the glass. It's only the MSX outlines (from the regular camera) of the chairs etc inside the building that you are seeing
If you were a thermal imaging comany, wouldn't it be fun to have a logo on your building that was only visible through a TIC... ;D

..or on a smaller scale, how about some T-shirts printed in inks with different emissivities, with logos you can only see with a TIC...

That's like something out of They Live. Instead of the glasses you need a TIC.
"I have come to chew bubblegum and kick ass..."
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 09:37:11 pm by KingVidiot »

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1806 on: November 26, 2013, 09:42:22 pm »
"I have come to chew bubblegum and kick ass..."

...and I'm all out of gum!

Offline iceisfun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1807 on: November 26, 2013, 10:16:16 pm »
Got my Flir E48 from Tequipment, unlocked with no trouble

Does anyone have the extra lenses http://store.flir.com/category/e-series-accessories if so can you post some pictures with them?

Thanks

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1808 on: November 26, 2013, 10:41:02 pm »
My Flir has a new name...

Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline JockeT

• Contributor
« Reply #1809 on: November 26, 2013, 11:03:20 pm »
Got my Flir E48 from Tequipment, unlocked with no trouble

Does anyone have the extra lenses http://store.flir.com/category/e-series-accessories if so can you post some pictures with them?

Thanks

I believe those lenses are for the Exx models. The Ex has no stock provisions for extra lens mounting (but it is possible with the adapters designed earlier in this thread).

Offline iceisfun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1810 on: November 26, 2013, 11:59:48 pm »
How do you get the rset commands to stick through a restart?

Offline madscientisthut

• Mad Scientist Hut
« Reply #1811 on: November 27, 2013, 03:48:03 am »
My order came in yesterday.
FW 1.19.8

Thanks Mike!

Image of my water cooled PC

after:    :clap:                                                                                                       before:   :)

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #1812 on: November 27, 2013, 03:53:41 am »
Quote from: madscientisthut
   Image of my water cooled PC   .....   after:    before:   :)   
OK that's going to start ANOTHER rush on stock !! Excellent comparison shots !!
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline iceisfun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1813 on: November 27, 2013, 05:09:47 am »
Water Cooling

Dual H100s on Xeon X5690s

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #1814 on: November 27, 2013, 05:44:36 am »
are blocks cold? or shiny?
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1815 on: November 27, 2013, 06:42:44 am »
How do you get the rset commands to stick through a restart?

Depending on what part of the resource tree ... making a .cfg with a CRC01 , or making a .rsc with a CRC32

So what particular rset commands do you want to make persistent?

Offline schdiewen

• Contributor
« Reply #1816 on: November 27, 2013, 08:40:49 am »
I had a spot in my image as well, see the picture in my post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg329239/#msg329239
I saw that image the time you posted it, but in my memory the spot was somewhat bigger, so I didn't bother searching for your post. After now seeing it again and realize it's the same size and shape, it convinced me to play around a little. So I used a duster ball to blow air in some of the housings cavities, in the hope of again moving something inside. With success, after this "treatment" a 2nd spot with the same appearance showed up on my image :D
So any grain of dust on the sensor may create a similar looking disturbance, with it's thermal intensity depending on the size of this dust particle.

After this I evaluated my options in cleaning the sensor surface using Mike's teardown video. Then one led to the other and in the end I had my unit disassembled, the sensor dusted and everything reassembled again.
I'm now spot free, so my sensor and lens are OK :)

To keep things exciting, I now have some offset between my thermal and the visual image, making MSX look a little odd on greater distances.
Anyone knows where to adjust this? Is this done in software or do I have to dismantle my E4+ again?

Offline Mr-Beamer

• Contributor
« Reply #1817 on: November 27, 2013, 09:47:51 am »
I got mine 10 min ago  :clap:
Model: Flir E8+  :-+ :-DD
Site: Flir systems ou Estonia
Calibration date: November 22, 2013

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1818 on: November 27, 2013, 10:26:28 am »
To keep things exciting, I now have some offset between my thermal and the visual image, making MSX look a little odd on greater distances.
Anyone knows where to adjust this? Is this done in software or do I have to dismantle my E4+ again?
Are you sure you set your focus correctly to inifinity?
Or maybe your distance settings in the config menu is set to anything less then ">3m"?

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #1819 on: November 27, 2013, 10:32:42 am »
Or maybe your distance settings in the config menu is set to anything less then ">3m"?

there are register options (rset) - I posted them some while ago - in case that somebody misaligned the image ... but the physical setup for precise distance is very important :)

Offline schdiewen

• Contributor
« Reply #1820 on: November 27, 2013, 11:32:59 am »
there are register options (rset) - I posted them some while ago - in case that somebody misaligned the image ... but the physical setup for precise distance is very important :)
Distance setting should be at >3m, but I'm not sure about focus. I'm lacking a proper lens tool, so I adjusted the lens according to my marks before reassembling the device. Most probably it's a bit off, yes. But I didn't notice any degradation in image quality, so I was satisfied for now. I think it's hard to get it right, since those thermal images don't offer that much contrast and will always look a bit softer. I guess I need to dremel some simple tool for lens adjustment and start experimenting.

Oh, and it's not just the parallax error resulting from the lens distance, it's off sideways as well.

Good to know there is a software setting for this. I think you're referring to this post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg327178/#msg327178

By "physical setup" you're talking about those calibration steps mentioned in the linked post?

Then obviously it's finally time for RNDIS mode. I only did the resolution hack yet, addmenu was still on my todo list for future exercises.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #1821 on: November 27, 2013, 12:33:04 pm »
Good to know there is a software setting for this. I think you're referring to this post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg327178/#msg327178

By "physical setup" you're talking about those calibration steps mentioned in the linked post?
Yes, that's the post - I think it's clear what to do if taking basic trigonometry and the lens-lens-distance in consideraton - one has to align the camera's face-plane geometrically parallel to the reference object plane (ideally a surface with thermal and visual markings/features/borders)

Offline funzt

• Contributor
« Reply #1822 on: November 27, 2013, 12:36:20 pm »
Hello,
I need the flir eeprom unlocked, it needs password  |O
anyone unlooked it yet?

cant find it, please please help me
thx!

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1823 on: November 27, 2013, 12:47:15 pm »
Hello,
anyone unlooked it yet?

thx!
You can edit the eeprom via the I2C command. The test mode seems to implement some simple access control but not looked at this.
EEPROM records are protected by a simple 16 bit checksum - this is documented fairly early in this thread

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1824 on: November 27, 2013, 01:19:46 pm »
Hello,
anyone unlooked it yet?

thx!
Instead of just asking for unlocking the Eeprom it would be more helpful if you post why you need to unlock it, what you have done with your E30, what worked and what worked not, where you had problems and how you solved them. Exactly what Mike and Taucher and others were doing. Then you will get much more feedback from many more people as they are interested in solving a challenge.
Look how the E4 hack worked ... many people provided little peaces of helpful (and sometimes not helpful) information - and together the 320x240 and the menu hack were possible. It is as always: a good team can make anything possible, one on its own often not.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:30:24 pm by PeterK13 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf