Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3790763 times)

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #1875 on: November 27, 2013, 07:11:25 pm »
Good news!  just received mine today and it has version 1.19.8
(ordered from the new batch at tequipment Monday)
Now to sort out why parallels isn't seeing it...
what's your date of calibration?

I think we can call that report on unhackable firm definately a troll

Sorry VERY new to this, where would I find it?   :palm:
it's written on a calibration cert (paper) supplied with the camera :)

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1876 on: November 27, 2013, 07:16:59 pm »
Thats why!  I didn't RTFM!!!

LOL!!

Estonia Nov 12 2013

Offline dustout

• Contributor
« Reply #1877 on: November 27, 2013, 07:51:02 pm »
My E4 just arrived today.
Calibration: Nov 9, 2013 in Estonia
Software: 1.19.8

Offline dustout

• Contributor
« Reply #1878 on: November 27, 2013, 07:52:51 pm »
Just noting that as-is it seems much better than the i3.  The menu interface is MUCH faster, the MSX is nice, the calibration is 10 time quieter, and the screen is larger and clearer. Excited to get this upgraded now.

Offline Petrlib

• Contributor
FLIR TOOLS + forever working for free
« Reply #1879 on: November 27, 2013, 07:53:14 pm »
Hello to all and especially for newbies,

I just recieved infortmation about FLIR TOOLS + . This is nothing illegal or software modification. It is just " time stopping tool ".
If you want have full working FLIR TOOLS + / in full working 30-days trial mode / you can use this tool:

http://www.jailbreakmodo.com/how-to-use-trial-version-software-forever-without-expiration.html

http://www.technize.net/extend-trial-software/

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:02:16 pm by Petrlib »

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #1880 on: November 27, 2013, 08:03:53 pm »

LOL!!

Estonia Nov 12 2013

btw - the Flir manual is a really good read unless you're already skilled in TIC technology and measurements etc.
They went to quite some effort describing lots of good to know stuff there - I can really recommend it - esp. the more general IR appendix.

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1881 on: November 27, 2013, 08:15:08 pm »

LOL!!

Estonia Nov 12 2013

btw - the Flir manual is a really good read unless you're already skilled in TIC technology and measurements etc.
They went to quite some effort describing lots of good to know stuff there - I can really recommend it - esp. the more general IR appendix.

Been doing the online course.  Only looked at the PDF of the manual thats why I didn't see the calibration sheet ;) 

Offline KingVidiot

• Contributor
« Reply #1882 on: November 27, 2013, 08:30:02 pm »
With these mods can you guys find a way to toggle the annoying calibration popup on and off?

I don't want to be streaming video to my computer and have that damn thing continue to popup. When I shoot video I don't care if it's always fully calibrated.

Heh, that was one of the first things I fixed. Damn annoying to have it perform a nuc (calibration) juuuust when you're doing a measurement.

Code: [Select]
# turn off auto-nuc
rset .tcomp.services.autoNuc.active false

# turn on auto-nuc
rset .tcomp.services.autoNuc.active true

# trigger nuc
rset .image.services.nuc.commit true

The idea is to turn off auto-nuc, and then trigger a nuc when you think it's useful. I.e between measurements. Or not at all.  ;D

Happy uninterrupted video streaming!

Is this implemented in the latest hack on page 1? I really need to be able to toggle the calibration for video streams (no chopppy vids). I heard that you can force a calibration with one of the buttons, so it doesn't need to come on all the time.

Also I thought that there was a way to remove the HUD on video streams. I looks like FlirTools might remove the HUD graphics for stills, but I need it for video. Any chance here?

Another question about the firmware. If I have to redo the factory mode and send it in for service, and they upload a new firmware, can I reload the old firmware if I have the installer (someone posted one a while back)?

Offline KingVidiot

• Contributor
« Reply #1883 on: November 27, 2013, 08:36:09 pm »
(questions and stuff went here)

Hey there KingVidiot. I can help with a few of these. Not being an expert, I invite others to chime in on the parts I'm unsure on (or correct me where I'm incorrect).

Can you post the link for the latest directions and the software download? It requires a cable connection, right? If so then do I have to open the unit or can I do it over USB?
The first page has a link to the latest version of the E4 to E8 hack instructions, with a download of the files you'll need. It uses USB, so no screwdrivers necessary. No Wi-Fi on this model. I'm considering making a "for dummies" walkthrough guide for those totally new at modding things or not computer savvy and need a little extra help.

I also read somewhere about a menu hack to add the extra color templates which sounds great. Is that a completely different procedure or is that wrapped into the latest "E8" hack?
Different procedure. A few pages back someone listed a more step-by-step means of doing it. Like above, I may make a "dummies" walkthrough.

After doing these mods, is it easy to get back to factory settings in case I need to send it in for warranty service or post-warranty service?
There are instructions for undoing the E4 to E8 hack, and the second hack that adds menus is as simple as reinstating the original files (assuming you make a backup before copying over the modded files). Not sure if the factory can detect any hacking after these "undo" steps are performed.

Does adding these mods affect the calibration or accuracy of the readings? I think someone said it would stop the constant calibration interruption, but can that be turned back on if necessary? I mainly want it off for the video stream, but I don't mind having it on if I'm just surveying something and I want more accuracy. Can the HUD info be turned off while I'm streaming the video to my laptop over USB and then be turned back on?
Not sure, but I don't think it affects accuracy. I didn't notice any talk about pausing the constant calibration interruption, and I would be VERY interested in learning how to do that myself. As for video stream, I think the HUD is "baked into" the video output as Mike mentioned that during his review.

Does anyone know of a small digital recorder that will take the USB video stream from the E4
Looks like the tip above on using an Android device is your best bet.

Thanks Bandrik, nice summary.

The tablet video won't work for me since I don't have one, and the delay is too much/video too choppy. The E4 is choppy enough, and I don't want to make it more choppy.
I'm looking online for other recording options.

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1884 on: November 27, 2013, 08:37:42 pm »
[...]
You may be able to do this with an Android phone: http://www.infinitegra.co.jp/en/solution/AndroidApp1.htm
[...]

I'm not KingVidiot but I just tried it with my Samsung Galaxy S3 with Android 4.1.2. Result: "unsupported device" - So no luck  :(

And regarding to the cal date and the "new batch":
I ordered my E4 here in Germany at www.messgeraete-chemnitz.de on Sun, Nov 10 2013. It was Shipped on Tue, Nov 12 2013 and delivered on Wed, Nov 13 2013. My Camera was calibrated on Sat, Nov 9 2013, so I'm not sure if this batch is really that "new". Mine was delivered with Version 1.19.8, of course.

Offline Mr-Beamer

• Contributor
« Reply #1885 on: November 27, 2013, 08:50:16 pm »
Cool now I can see if my food is done inside the microwave :-DD
Yes I know you can't see through glass but it was a nice picture

But seriously. Now I want bluetooth!
I (we) want to send pictures to my phone and control the camera with my phone (with the app from FLIR
Before I make mine Open (after a little playing time )
Has anyone debugged the non assembled connectors?
Or has anyone encountered a Bluetooth settings menu?

The IMX has a special comport (register settings) for Bluetooth.
So I expect that the camera is looking at start-up for a Bluetooth module.

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1886 on: November 27, 2013, 09:09:00 pm »
With these mods can you guys find a way to toggle the annoying calibration popup on and off?

I don't want to be streaming video to my computer and have that damn thing continue to popup. When I shoot video I don't care if it's always fully calibrated.

Heh, that was one of the first things I fixed. Damn annoying to have it perform a nuc (calibration) juuuust when you're doing a measurement.

# turn off auto-nuc
rset .tcomp.services.autoNuc.active false

# turn on auto-nuc
rset .tcomp.services.autoNuc.active true

# trigger nuc
rset .image.services.nuc.commit true

The idea is to turn off auto-nuc, and then trigger a nuc when you think it's useful. I.e between measurements. Or not at all.  ;D

Happy uninterrupted video streaming!

Is this implemented in the latest hack on page 1? I really need to be able to toggle the calibration for video streams (no chopppy vids). I heard that you can force a calibration with one of the buttons, so it doesn't need to come on all the time.
no.
If you press and hold the play button it forces a cal. Note that cals happen a lot less often once the sensor temp has stabilised. If you leave it too long, you will start seeing a few drifty pixels appearing - again this may be less of an issue once the temp has stabilised.
Another question about the firmware. If I have to redo the factory mode and send it in for service, and they upload a new firmware, can I reload the old firmware if I have the installer (someone posted one a while back)?
If a purpose of any new FW is to prevent a hack, probably not. But obviously that depends on what they do.
They could easily fiddle with stuff like calibration files (or anything on flashfs) to make older FW not work, and new FW could be a lot more picky about what (if anything) it lets you install as "new" FW. Bear in mind that many factory "repairs" will simply be board swaps.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline mvh

« Reply #1887 on: November 27, 2013, 09:40:53 pm »
Forgot to mention cal date on my E4 before, so here goes: serial 639064xx, cal date nov 7, fw rev 1.19.8.

Also decided to get the extra battery and external charger the E8 is supposed to have. Those are a bit on the pricey side. Also, every time I see the charger in action I get an uncontrolled urge to say "exterminate!". Dunno why.

Got a lens adjustment tool printed at shapeways, the end result seems to be of pretty good quality.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1888 on: November 27, 2013, 09:56:31 pm »
For anyone interested, I have been keeping a list of serial numbers, calibration dates and firmware versions here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/flir-e4-the-useful-information-thread/msg332428/#msg332428

If anyone wishes to PM me their partial serial number (First 5 digits is fine), FW and Cal date , I will keep updating the list for the forum members. The list is anonymous.

The latest unit I have listed is as follows:

S/n 6390 7xxx
Cal - 25 Nov
FW - 1.19.8

(Thanks to an anonymous forum member)

If you look at the serial numbers....if they are sequential, FLIR have sold quite a few E4's  ;D

63907xxx - 639027xx = Approx 4300 over roughly 2 months.

That of course assumes that the last 4 digits are not a combination of unique serial plus batch number as is common on many equipment serial numbers.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:05:05 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline ron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1889 on: November 27, 2013, 11:33:13 pm »

That of course assumes that the last 4 digits are not a combination of unique serial plus batch number as is common on many equipment serial numbers.

ASSuming 6390 only applies to E4's. 

Offline MrSquirrel

• Contributor
« Reply #1890 on: November 27, 2013, 11:49:23 pm »
Have been playing around with i2c.exe, it is a bit scary not knowing what it is actually doing on the bus. Especially when it comes to the read/write option and the effect it has on the read/write flag on the address byte being sent out. The read/write flag on the DS1388 Real time clock is inverted!!!

I do not recommend you do anything with i2c.exe you know what you are doing.
You could end up performing a write operation and screwing up your camera!

It seems that the EEPROM is at address 0xAE but the command will only return a maximum of 256 bytes.

\flashbfs\system>i2c.exe r AE FF
Open I2C device
I2C read command 57 100 returned: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 0 46 4C 49 52 20 45 34 0 0 0 0 [snip].

Notice that 46 4C 49 52 20 45 34 is "FLIR E4" as identified by Mike in his video when he was sniffing the bus. Serial and calibration date follow later.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:56:45 pm by MrSquirrel »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1891 on: November 27, 2013, 11:57:31 pm »
Camera ID's

E4 - 63901
E5 - 63905  :o
E6 - 63902
E8 - 63903

i3 - 60101
i5 - 60101
i7 - 60101

E30 - 49001
E40 - 49001
E50 - 49001
E60 - 49001

T420 - 62101
T440 - 62101
T450 - 62101

T600 - 55901
T610 - 55901
T620 - 55901
T630 - 55902
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1892 on: November 27, 2013, 11:58:06 pm »

ASSuming 6390 only applies to E4's.
The part number of all the E series starts with 6390, so could well be that they use the same SN prefix for all models - especially as the model may be determined at the last stage of production/calibration .
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1893 on: November 28, 2013, 03:52:32 am »
UGH!  Something is Borked...

When I try to save an image now I am getting a message that there is no Memory card? 

Anyone else see this?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 04:47:15 am by Mikesus »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1894 on: November 28, 2013, 05:05:15 am »
When I try to save an image now I am getting a message that there is no Memory card? 

Anyone else see this?
Relax, that's "normal". When you do the usb cable dance, it needs some time to figure out what to do with this here flash drive. So after fiddling with usb, give it a few seconds. If you get that message, try again in 5 seconds.

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1895 on: November 28, 2013, 06:03:59 am »
Its been quite a bit more than a few seconds... The usb cable got yanked (blame it on the dog  |O)  And When I tried to reconnect it said that the file system was unrecognized and windoze kicked off a repair... ARGH!  Trying to reflash it now...

Offline cuisinart

• Contributor
« Reply #1896 on: November 28, 2013, 06:32:47 am »
Hi, got mine in today from the West coast USA.  Cal Nov 9th, firmware 1.19.8

I noticed something odd, though.  The display has a 8 degree gradient temperature going across it. 
The first two are captures from the ceiling, rotated 180 degrees.  The 3rd one is with the lens cover closed. 
This doesn't seem right, does anyone else see this issue with theirs?

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1897 on: November 28, 2013, 06:35:51 am »
Its been quite a bit more than a few seconds... The usb cable got yanked (blame it on the dog  |O)  And When I tried to reconnect it said that the file system was unrecognized and windoze kicked off a repair... ARGH!  Trying to reflash it now...

There's a new one... needing to reflash (reformat?) it. Because I really hope you just mean format. :P

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1898 on: November 28, 2013, 06:38:51 am »
Hi, got mine in today from the West coast USA.  Cal Nov 9th, firmware 1.19.8

I noticed something odd, though.  The display has a 8 degree gradient temperature going across it. 
The first two are captures from the ceiling, rotated 180 degrees.  The 3rd one is with the lens cover closed. 
This doesn't seem right, does anyone else see this issue with theirs?

That big a gradient with the lens cover closed just can't be good. And uniform gradient under rotation is not good either. Looks like you may have a defective unit somehow. I mean, 8 degrees gradient ... that's just unusable.

I'd send an e-mail to Flir asking about this, in parallel with looking to return the unit as DOA.

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1899 on: November 28, 2013, 06:48:38 am »

There's a new one... needing to reflash (reformat?) it. Because I really hope you just mean format. :P

Yeah tried format... It didn't like it... :(  Actually trying reflash.  Hoping that it didn't get fried   |O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf