Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3796258 times)

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #2675 on: January 03, 2014, 12:59:07 am »
Just a short FYI (19.12.2013):
http://support.flir.se/custhelp/softwaredownload/rss/feed.xml
"FLIR IR Camera Player 2.3.3 : FLIR IR Camera Player 2.2.7 includes all drivers for both 32-Bit and 64-bit OS."
Download: http://support.flir.com/SwDownload/app/RssSWDownload.aspx?ID=89

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2676 on: January 03, 2014, 01:13:30 am »
I just found a site that details my FLIR PM series PAL file format.

May be of use ?

http://www.irinfo.org/articles/article_4_2006_colbert.html
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2677 on: January 03, 2014, 01:27:36 am »
Another interesting find......

http://www.infraredtraining.com/community/boards/thread/10111/

I have FLIR Reporter somewhere (Demo) so maybe I can extract the PAL files  ;)  There could be some interesting palettes in there.

Offline QuantumLogic

• Contributor
« Reply #2678 on: January 03, 2014, 02:10:10 am »
When storing the E4, is it recommended to remove the battery from the unit or leave it installed?  Mine came shipped with the battery installed and it was almost discharged when I turned it on before charging for the first time.
As I understand, the OFF button simply puts the camera into a "soft off" state.  Am I correct in assuming that a small amount of power is being used in this state, slowly discharging the battery?
I did not see any technical information like this in the manuals I found, though I may have been looking in the wrong place for it.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2679 on: January 03, 2014, 02:34:08 am »
Short term storage - leave the battery in. (This is anything up to say a month)

Long term storage - half charge the battery and remove it from the camera. Keep battery in cool dry place....not an attic (loft)

Offline QuantumLogic

• Contributor
« Reply #2680 on: January 03, 2014, 03:00:01 am »
Standard Li-Po storage procedures, then.
Thanks, Aurora.

Offline nersut

• Contributor
« Reply #2681 on: January 03, 2014, 05:08:35 am »
Hi everyone

What type of lens could be used for a Ex-model to optically zoom objects farther away??? (like a monocular with maybe 2-10 magnification?)

Cheers
Erik

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
ADDMENU BETA 3
« Reply #2682 on: January 03, 2014, 06:37:41 am »
ADDMENU BETA 3 is ready for download  >:D
Download ZIP: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/?action=dlattach;attach=74552
Post: see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg326024/#msg326024

Probably a MUST HAVE for anybody who's using MSX with distances < 30cm  :-+

Code: [Select]
New in Beta 3:
- Add digital zoom (1x 2x 4x 8x) -> enable: set .caps.config.image.zoom.enabled true
- Add extra settings for rel. humidity and condensation mode humidity settings
- Add fine-tuning for MSX/focus distance
- Remove Triple-USB-Mode (does not work anyway)

Known bugs:
- Condensation mode does switch to thermal leak mode when fiddling with the humidity values
-> workaround: select the green palette again
- Archive mode: Video playback does not play back anything - useless icon
- MediaServer.exe (manual stuff): crashes when deployed but does not disturb TIC use

... and some minor stuff like re-arranging items
Feel free to check if you have yet unknown .caps settings that might be useful to be added (at least we now have a generic example how to edit numeric values via menu).

Wanted:
Any info how to get time-lapse or video recording mode operational (see commented block in toolbar-config_Z3) or how to bind a shell execute to a button or menu entry ("back" on main menu would be perfect)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:58:26 am by Taucher »

Offline Bonocr

• Contributor
« Reply #2683 on: January 03, 2014, 08:48:57 am »
Hiya,

Nice 3D prints  :-+

I have not seen that focus tool before. Can you share the STL file ?

You are correct regarding uncommenting the zoom statements in the XML file. You will also need to set the zoom statement from false to true in Mikes resolution upgrade file. This will require that you also run the CRC calculation again. Its the same process that you carried out for increasing the resolution but you need to first make the change to the zoom configuration line. There is no need to remove either of the files that you have already installed. Just over write them via FTP  :)

I have attached the XML file, within the FlashBFS folder structure, that I used. It is using the Version2b baseline created by Uup (which uses the XML file originally created by Taucher)

I have also added the edited resolution file with the Zoom option set to true

Update. I think I attached the wrong XML file so I have deleted it and added the right one. Sorry.

Update. I have added the Uup menu file set called FlashBFS that I edited to activate the Zoom function. Use this if you find it easier than using the XML file alone.
Thanks Aurora!
The current files are the right one?
Which difference with Taucher files https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg359345/#msg359345

The STL file for focusing tool is not mine, you can download it from here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:188896/#files

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:11:42 am by Bonocr »

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
Re: ADDMENU BETA 3
« Reply #2684 on: January 03, 2014, 09:01:24 am »

Well done again ! So, whats left here ? Now someone enable BT and WIFI and add SD CARD - All of these items are in configuration files too :-DD
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2685 on: January 03, 2014, 11:00:26 am »
When storing the E4, is it recommended to remove the battery from the unit or leave it installed?  Mine came shipped with the battery installed and it was almost discharged when I turned it on before charging for the first time.
As I understand, the OFF button simply puts the camera into a "soft off" state.  Am I correct in assuming that a small amount of power is being used in this state, slowly discharging the battery?
I did not see any technical information like this in the manuals I found, though I may have been looking in the wrong place for it.
It does draw some power in  standby mode - I measured it in the review video. About 3.7mA, corresponding to about 1 month to 'dead', and about 500uA in 'Off' mode.
However I have a suspicion that it may go from standby to off mode after a while - not tested thoroughly but ISTR having seen it do a cold boot (showing modded startup screen) when I'm fairly sure I'd not removed the battery
 You can also force it into minimum-power mode with  a very long press of the power button, however there is no visual confirmation, again I showed this in the review video.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2686 on: January 03, 2014, 11:35:30 am »
@Bonocr,

The background to my postings of the XML file

1. I have chosen to use the Uup XML file (Bete2a) that is based on Tauchers original BETA2. (It chaged the config menu layout slightly)
2. I enabled the new Zoom funtion in the Uup XML (Beta2a) and tat is what I posted in the referenced message.
3. I compared the Beta2a XML with the one produced by freak_ge. Beta2a still contains lots of unused statements and comments as it is a Beta. The XML from freak_ge has Zoom enabled and has been stripped of all unused content and comments. Some palettes have been removed which I did not want so I needed to reactivate them.
4. I chose to use the XML produced by freak_ge and edited the palettes to re-enable them and place them in an order that suited me. That is the last XML that I posted along with comments on the ease of editing it for a custom layout.
5. Taucher has just released Beta3 which contains further enhancements.  I will be sticking with my current XML for the mpment as I do not need the added features of Beta3. I can easily change the Beta3 XML to my preferances if required though.

The version of XML that I am currently using is detailed here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg359037/#msg359037
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:40:23 am by Aurora »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2687 on: January 03, 2014, 11:50:35 am »
With regard to options that may exist in a non activated form in the software, my PM695 has a distance to target variable that may be set to take path loss into account. Not that essential though. It also has the option to change the size of the mesurement circle to suit different scenarios. Again I am not certain how much need there is for that on the E4. Extended temperature capabiity has also been mentioned before. Other FLIR cameras offer two temperature ranges and I can advise that no addtional thermal filter / attenuator is brought into play on my PM695 to achieve this. Additional filters / attenuators are employed for the very high ranges of 500 C to 1000 C and above. Could it be an offset function on the micro-bolometers ADC I wonder ?

Offline Bonocr

• Contributor
« Reply #2688 on: January 03, 2014, 12:06:55 pm »

@Aurora

Thank you very much Aurora.
I have used your E8 file and Taucher Beta 3 file: all works fine!
I would like to figure out how to use in correct mode the humidity settings, could you or everyone suggest me an example or a document?
Next step: I have to buy an ZnSe lens for close up view (Thanks to Taucher for fine tuning MSX).
I have fiddling with the focusing toll, may be I am out of focus now, there is an tested method for fix it?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2689 on: January 03, 2014, 12:26:50 pm »
@bonocr

Please take a look at my E4 useful information thread. It contains detail of the focus setting when using a fixed focus lens. It may be of assistance to you. Other members of the forum have used the 'focus on a distant object' technique but this can be flawed as you will read. I have heard that the focus adjustment on the E4 is quite course, so care is needed and a steady hand  ;)

Be VERY careful to not scratch the surface of the lens....it isn't Germanium but is still fragile. It is concave so is quite well protected but a scratch on the Anti Reflective coating would be very bad news indeed. (The AR coating improves the transmission efficiency of the lens from around 40% to around 80%.....i.e. its important !)

E4 Useful information thread :

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/flir-e4-the-useful-information-thread/msg332104/#msg332104

On the topic of the MSX fine tune when using a close-up lens ......... sorry, MSX does not work when the close up lens adapter is fitted. The adapter obscures the visual cameras view. You could possibly cut a large hole in the adapter for the visual camera to see through, but that camera is also unlikely to focus at very close distances, and does not benefit from the ZnSe close-up lens.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 12:36:09 pm by Aurora »

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2690 on: January 03, 2014, 03:56:33 pm »
I would like to figure out how to use in correct mode the humidity settings -snip-
If unsure use/keep the 0.5 default value.
The humidity-setting might be interesting in regard to accuracy tests (esp. sub zero).
It's also a nice example how any of the internal registry values can be manipulated from the menu!

The new condensation-settings (aka. alarm1) do this:
Ambient rel. humidity should be measured using some gauge/tool, then set in the camera.
Then the TIC can calculate the dew-point for the current temperature(reflected temp setting i guess)+rel. humidity pair.
The last setting allows to tell the dewpoint-formula to calculate for a different value - as mold might grow above ~70% rel. hum.

Basically the whole condensation mode is a bit gimmiky as a simple dewpoint-table and an educated user could just set up "blue below" some temperature and get the same results - but it's green palette fits the psychology and the built in dewpoint formula might be handy.

I strongly suggest reading the MANUAL (pdf) - there's a nice appendix - and Flir has put online some nice information for different use cases.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
Re: ADDMENU BETA 3
« Reply #2691 on: January 03, 2014, 04:10:00 pm »

Well done again ! So, whats left here ? Now someone enable BT and WIFI and add SD CARD - All of these items are in configuration files too :-DD
thx
in fact there's a "WANTED" in my post telling what would be probably next... time-lapse or video-recording would IMHO be really cool hacks

A shell-exec (TNT, are you reading this) from the menu would allow us to develop own application for the Ex and map them to a button!
--> I already confirmed that I can cross-compile an application.exe and get a confirmable message-box for the Ex when starting the app via telnet. Having a chance to start that app by pressing a regular menu button would mean we could make our own menu with any function we like - I hope you get my point :)

Regarding the .pal files: I remembered there's the command to load any .pal file via telnet - should make testing easy :)

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2692 on: January 03, 2014, 04:34:54 pm »
Well, Tequipment certainly isn't shy about talking about the E4 hack.  I just asked them what the currently shipping firmware is, and the chat support person responded with "we haven't had any reports of them not being hackable to the E8."  He also mentioned that they sell 100 of these things a month.  I don't think FLIR is hurting for sales. 

Anyway, since the chat didn't answer my question, has anyone received an E4 from Tequipment recently?  If so, what firmware did it have on it when it arrived?

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2693 on: January 03, 2014, 04:50:05 pm »
A shell-exec (TNT, are you reading this) from the menu would allow us to develop own application for the Ex and map them to a button!
--> I already confirmed that I can cross-compile an application.exe and get a confirmable message-box for the Ex when starting the app via telnet. Having a chance to start that app by pressing a regular menu button would mean we could make our own menu with any function we like - I hope you get my point :)

Regarding the .pal files: I remembered there's the command to load any .pal file via telnet - should make testing easy :)

The application which will stich the picture in camera like smartphones does or  like the Microsoft ICE will be really cool :-) Video recording as well.
Thanks for new version of ADDMENU.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:06:52 pm by plesa »

Offline Bonocr

• Contributor
« Reply #2694 on: January 03, 2014, 05:44:31 pm »
@bonocr

Please take a look at my E4 useful information thread. It contains detail of the focus setting when using a fixed focus lens. It may be of assistance to you. Other members of the forum have used the 'focus on a distant object' technique but this can be flawed as you will read. I have heard that the focus adjustment on the E4 is quite course, so care is needed and a steady hand  ;)

Be VERY careful to not scratch the surface of the lens....it isn't Germanium but is still fragile. It is concave so is quite well protected but a scratch on the Anti Reflective coating would be very bad news indeed. (The AR coating improves the transmission efficiency of the lens from around 40% to around 80%.....i.e. its important !)

E4 Useful information thread :

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/flir-e4-the-useful-information-thread/msg332104/#msg332104

On the topic of the MSX fine tune when using a close-up lens ......... sorry, MSX does not work when the close up lens adapter is fitted. The adapter obscures the visual cameras view. You could possibly cut a large hole in the adapter for the visual camera to see through, but that camera is also unlikely to focus at very close distances, and does not benefit from the ZnSe close-up lens.

Thanks for your link and useful information.
You right! I have to modify the STL file for the MSX camera, hope at 100mm the camera works.

I am careful with the TIC lens thanks ;-)

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2695 on: January 03, 2014, 05:54:32 pm »

Any chance of a very rough howto for the dev environment? I'm not very much up to speed with windows dev environments due to an abundance of I-dont-care, but for the E4 there's enough incentive to flush some time... So if you maybe have a some pointers + sample config/make/project files of something that does something on the E4 then that would be very much appreciated. :)

Offline Bonocr

• Contributor
« Reply #2696 on: January 03, 2014, 06:00:18 pm »
I would like to figure out how to use in correct mode the humidity settings -snip-
If unsure use/keep the 0.5 default value.
The humidity-setting might be interesting in regard to accuracy tests (esp. sub zero).
It's also a nice example how any of the internal registry values can be manipulated from the menu!

The new condensation-settings (aka. alarm1) do this:
Ambient rel. humidity should be measured using some gauge/tool, then set in the camera.
Then the TIC can calculate the dew-point for the current temperature(reflected temp setting i guess)+rel. humidity pair.
The last setting allows to tell the dewpoint-formula to calculate for a different value - as mold might grow above ~70% rel. hum.

Basically the whole condensation mode is a bit gimmiky as a simple dewpoint-table and an educated user could just set up "blue below" some temperature and get the same results - but it's green palette fits the psychology and the built in dewpoint formula might be handy.

I strongly suggest reading the MANUAL (pdf) - there's a nice appendix - and Flir has put online some nice information for different use cases.

Thanks Taucher for your explanation.
Which difference between the setting relative amb. humidity (that I can measure) and the relative humidity?

Now I look at the manual as you suggested.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2697 on: January 03, 2014, 06:10:54 pm »
The picture quality of a zoomed recording is better than unzoomed recording and manual zoomed.
The output resolution is 320x240 normal as zoomed. Make a panoramic image of 16 4x zoomed recordings (1280x960), it's quite better than unzoomed recording streched 4 times.

I think, it's a unnecessary effort.
Simple resize the RAW sensor values with Imagemagick functions (sharpen etc.)

As attachment a quick-and-dirty hack for post processing zoom.
I rewrote my panorama php script - see here for using php
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg348715/#msg348715

using
$ php ./E4zoom.php

usage: ./E4zoom.php [options] -i ir_file.jpg -r resize -s sharpen -o outputimage.jpg

Settings:
-i ir_file.jpg      flir radiometric image
-r resize           scale sensor size with "convert -resize val" (val i.e. 600x or 100%, default is 200%)
-s sharpen          scale sensor size with "convert -sharpen val" (val i.e. 0x0.4 , default is 0x1)
-o output           save a rebuild flir radiometric image with new 16BitImage

Options Summary:
--help              print this help

open the resized jpg with FlirTools and save the image for rebuilding the jpg part of the image

a sample macro image from Mavro
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg341533/#msg341533

$ php ./E4zoom.php -i withlens.jpg -r 640x -s 0x2 -o withlenszoom

/opt/ImageMagick/bin/convert raw.tif -resize 640x -sharpen 0x2 raw.tif
.fffrebuilt FFF from 3 parts
split FFF file to segments
FLIR Record 0x20, offset 0x0200, length 0x09ac
FLIR Record 0x22, offset 0x0bac, length 0x0310
FLIR Record 0x21, offset 0x0ebc, length 0x0038
FLIR Record 0x01, offset 0x0ef4, length 0x13426
FLIR Record 0x2a, offset 0x1431c, length 0x0060
FLIR Record 0x0e, offset 0x1437c, length 0x1a35
new image w/h=640/480
write new radiometric jpg
part 0: 65534 Byte
part 1: 65534 Byte
part 2: 65534 Byte
part 3: 65534 Byte
part 4: 65534 Byte
part 5: 65534 Byte
part 6: 65534 Byte
part 7: 65534 Byte
part 8: 65534 Byte
part 9: 27714 Byte

withlenszoom[.jpg] goes after saving with FlirTools to

compare the slightly structures
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:31:29 pm by tomas123 »

Offline john19

• Contributor
« Reply #2698 on: January 03, 2014, 07:47:41 pm »
Couldn't resist trying to make a panorama. Works great!

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2699 on: January 03, 2014, 08:22:50 pm »
I looked at your website to your others panoramas. Great.
Which software you using for stitching of 16 Bit RAW Images?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf