Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769638 times)

TopLoser and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #3175 on: January 24, 2014, 10:11:16 am »
Would it be enough just to fill the online form, or do you need to mail them the actual
proof of purchase?

Read the "How to Qualify for and Redeem your Promotion Offer:" part
4. Mail this ORIGINAL completed Redemption Form along with a legible copy of your original invoice (purchase order copies are not acceptable)
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3176 on: January 24, 2014, 10:48:56 am »
@pomonabill221,

It was worse than that....the chisel was used to straighten the top of the actual camera shell, not the viewfinder  :o  I can only imagine the shock waves that must have passed through the camera electronics and optical block. I am amazed that it survived the initial 'accident' and then the abuse of the person who took a 1" cold chisel to its case. He/She must have partially dismantled the camera to gain access so they were pretty brave or desperate to attempt such a 'repair' rather than returning the camera to FLIR.

The E4 is very nicely built and it is specified to survive a 2m drop which is impressive. I have no complaints about the units ruggedness for operation in a 'normal' low risk working enviroment. The metal cased cameras are for more extreme conditions, but the penalty for such is greater weight. The E4 sits in the hand so well and is so easy to use that it is now my first TIC deployed in a test and I only grab one of the PM series if 60fps or more accuracy is needed.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:57:22 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3177 on: January 24, 2014, 12:19:25 pm »
Hi,

There is a promotion until the 31 of March for FLIR products.

http://www.flir.com/thermography/americas/us/view/?id=62227

Would it be enough just to fill the online form, or do you need to mail them the actual
proof of purchase?

Thanks.

I got the ExTech laser distance measurer.  I had no need for it, but it's a pretty nice little tool.  The readings are suspiciously precise (inches down to 3 decimal places), but the thing is fast and its built solid.

Offline AlainL

Screen protector
« Reply #3178 on: January 24, 2014, 01:33:34 pm »
First let me thank you all for the hack.
I bought my E4 before knowing about the hack (and nearly bought an E5 instead ... Luckily I didn't  ;) ), but I'm really happy to upgrade it for free !

I read all the posts, and decided to put a screen protector. So I searched in those I already got if one would fit.
I found the perfect one : one for Nintendo DS Lite.
It has exactly the size of the visible part of screen (black border is not covered).
The one I got is very cheap and invisible.
I bought it on dx.com (SKU: 41168)
http://dx.com/p/screen-protector-set-for-ds-lite-2-piece-set-41168

Offline maggiore

« Reply #3179 on: January 24, 2014, 02:00:19 pm »
Hoping someone may have a little more information on what appears to be a recall of sorts for the e series cameras.  I placed an order the other day for a flir e4.  I called midstate instruments today to check the status and was I informed they had to send all of the e4, e5, and e6 cameras back to the manufacturer. Cited problems with the devices. They had to be retrofitted, whatever that means. Seemed like a recent development so I thought someone here might know what exactly the issue was. And if it might be related to the hackability of the current units. Hoping not. Great blog here,  thanks in advance.

I just ordered one from Granger about 4 hours ago and was promised next day delivery. ( Thanks Nazar404 )

Thanks JLR - I wnet ahead and canceled the order and got one from Grainger. Appreciate it.

Offline hgg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3180 on: January 24, 2014, 02:50:06 pm »
Aurora, Daves & Wilheldp Thank you.

I've read the terms but I am asking because they also have the online form.
If you have to send the document by mail, why include an online form as well;...

I am going the for the Laser Meter as well.   Nice to know that it works properly!

jlr134

« Reply #3181 on: January 24, 2014, 08:14:23 pm »
Hoping someone may have a little more information on what appears to be a recall of sorts for the e series cameras.  I placed an order the other day for a flir e4.  I called midstate instruments today to check the status and was I informed they had to send all of the e4, e5, and e6 cameras back to the manufacturer. Cited problems with the devices. They had to be retrofitted, whatever that means. Seemed like a recent development so I thought someone here might know what exactly the issue was. And if it might be related to the hackability of the current units. Hoping not. Great blog here,  thanks in advance.

I just ordered one from Granger about 4 hours ago and was promised next day delivery. ( Thanks Nazar404 )

E4 just arrived from Grainger ( within 22 hours of  ordering it)

November 19 2013
Firmware  1.19.8
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:46:56 pm by jlr134 »

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3182 on: January 24, 2014, 08:40:34 pm »

November 19 2018
Firmware  1.19.8

Time travel FTW.

jlr134

« Reply #3183 on: January 24, 2014, 08:47:31 pm »

November 19 2018
Firmware  1.19.8

Time travel FTW.

Woops..............

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3184 on: January 24, 2014, 09:08:21 pm »
@pomonabill221,

It was worse than that....the chisel was used to straighten the top of the actual camera shell, not the viewfinder  :o  I can only imagine the shock waves that must have passed through the camera electronics and optical block. I am amazed that it survived the initial 'accident' and then the abuse of the person who took a 1" cold chisel to its case. He/She must have partially dismantled the camera to gain access so they were pretty brave or desperate to attempt such a 'repair' rather than returning the camera to FLIR.

The E4 is very nicely built and it is specified to survive a 2m drop which is impressive. I have no complaints about the units ruggedness for operation in a 'normal' low risk working enviroment. The metal cased cameras are for more extreme conditions, but the penalty for such is greater weight. The E4 sits in the hand so well and is so easy to use that it is now my first TIC deployed in a test and I only grab one of the PM series if 60fps or more accuracy is needed.
Just reading that someone used something as harsh as a chisel to "repair" the case makes me CRINGE!!!
Hopefully they realized that they were dealing with a precision and expensive piece of equipment!  UGGHH!!
I guess when it comes down to time lost because of an equipment damage, desperate measures are taken... just NOT the ideal tools for the repair!  OUCH!!

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3185 on: January 24, 2014, 10:11:11 pm »
Aurora, Daves & Wilheldp Thank you.

I've read the terms but I am asking because they also have the online form.
If you have to send the document by mail, why include an online form as well;...

I am going the for the Laser Meter as well.   Nice to know that it works properly!

Yes, you do have to snail mail the form and proof of purchase.  They quote 6 to 8 weeks for delivery, but I got the distance meter about 1.5 weeks after I sent the forms in.

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3186 on: January 25, 2014, 05:26:25 am »
Does FLIR offer a tripod mount for the e4?  If they do, can somebody send a photo of it?

I had a chance to hold a tripod mount for the e40 and snapped a couple of photos of it.
I didn't like the design, I machined my own, like it much better.  It took a while since I
made it somewhat different than the one from FLIR.  I didn't keep track of the time, but
I'm sure if I made more, wouldn't take as much time.  It stays on the camera all the time,
had to cut some of the foam away in the case for it to fit.

If anybody has some good ideas on a tripod mount, I might try to make one, but I don't have
an e4 to try it on.  Ideas?

Jim

It looks like someone has seen a business opportunity in FLIR Ex series tripod mounts. See attached picture.

It was advertised on eb*y as "Flir E4 E5 E6 E8 Thermal imaging camera tripod adapter"

Looks like it uses clamp screws on the rubber handle  :scared:

I prefer the Georges80 design  :)

Sorry for small size....it was in Google's cache for eb*y.
"What this country needs is less people telling us what this country needs"

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3187 on: January 25, 2014, 06:05:14 am »
I installed the trial of FLIR tools + but haven't had a chance to try it yet, 7 days to go on the trial.
Has anybody found a good price on the + version?  I've seen it out there for $300, to me, that's
too much for what I want.  Time running out, registry hack?

Jim

Flir Tools is a great software, but the panorama function is extremely bad if you have more then 4 images (multi row, correction of distortion, cross-fade)

try the free 30 day trial Tools+ (a part from Flir Tools)

here is a sample (stitched from 8 images , see my tutorial https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg348715/#msg348715 )

Flir Tools+ (original size)
see the ghosts images at second columns head and the balustrade

and the same images resized and converted with the free Panorama Software MS ICE

this is a relative good result for FlirTools+ (I shoot the images with tripod)
If you have rotated images like OrBy's engine bay then FlirTools+  :--

Flir want sell cameras with large sensors and not software solutions.
The imprint of the color scale and a logo in an original E4 image with 80x60 sensor pixels is cheating
"What this country needs is less people telling us what this country needs"

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3188 on: January 25, 2014, 01:19:51 pm »
I provided some useful feedback to FLIR on their 'Tools' software and highlighted its inability to operate correctly on a 1024x600 screen netbook. It works but you loose the save button off the bottom of the screen. FLIR gifted me the activation key for TOOLS+ as a Thank You for taking the time to provide feedback. FLIR appear generous on the reward for feedback front (they have also gifted soft cases for hardware feedback) so I am not keen to slap them in the face by hacking their software. As I am sure you are aware...hacking the registry to overcome a demo time limit is effectively theft, but I am not your conscience and it matters not to me what you do. Be aware that FLIR Tools regularly 'phones home' and does pass data back to FLIR so any hacking of a DEMO version may be detectable  ;)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3189 on: January 25, 2014, 08:01:23 pm »
Bargain priced screen protectors from Sainsbury's - on sale

With regard to screen protection:

I visited Sainsbury's (UK) today and had a quick look at the mobile phone screen protectors they sell. I was pleased to find that they sell decent quality protectors. Even better news was that they are selling off the version designed for the Samsung Galaxy SII. A set of 3 screen protectors are normally GBP6 but these particular ones for the SII are now GBP1  :)  I bought 5 packs as these will be handy for protecting my meter displays as well. They appear perfect for the E4 and just need to be trimmed to the correct width.

If you are in the UK, a visit to Sainsbury's could net you a very cheap solution to the screen scratch issue that some are concerned about. Remember, you get 3 protectors in each pack for your GBP1 !

The screen protector pack contains the three protectors, each with layers that are removed from both sides during application, a soft cleaning cloth and a plastic squeegee card for removing bubbles. I believe the protector is gloss as per the E4 screen.

Look for a red pack with "protect your screen" written on it and "Fits Samsung Galaxy SII" at the bottom. Codes on the rear label are:

JDE 215852 and barcode 5 013742 182243  "3 pack screen protector"

Excellent value for money. You can buy a Universal screen protector pack in the same series. That is a larger universal protector that you cut to size before fitting. 3 in a pack for GBP6.

Hope this helps UK owners and remember, these would work well on your FLUKE, Agilent etc meters  :)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 08:35:25 pm by Aurora »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3190 on: January 25, 2014, 08:24:24 pm »
Very good suggestion there, here the cheap screen protectors are under 1 GBP each, for pretty much any size. I would suggest buying the ones for large tablets and using them cut to suit, as you can get quite a few out of the sheet for a 10 inch tablet. They work well, and protect touch screens well.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3191 on: January 26, 2014, 12:48:03 am »
I have found that any screen protector (glue or static based) will mask the fine scratches you get in these type of soft plastic screens. Before glass capacitive screens were the norm for smartphones I bet a ton of people here remember the feel of grit under your stylus as a fresh scratch was being carved into your PDA's screen... |O

I just finished carving up and applying an old iPhone 4 anti glare protector. The nice thing about the matte finish on it is readability when your outside goes up and fingerprints are less noticeable so you spend less time buffing them out.  :-+

Offline Petrlib

• Contributor
Not possible ADD MENU or ANY update
« Reply #3192 on: January 26, 2014, 07:13:51 pm »
Hello my friends,

I did hack couple of weeks ago and everything was OK. I also add menu 2 update with no problem..
But right now - no possible connect to my FLIR E4.

If I try connect and update fif file - Flirinstall will show Timeout connection
If I want use FTP - no chance to connect

Do you know - what could be wrong?? Last time everything was very easy...

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Not possible ADD MENU or ANY update
« Reply #3193 on: January 26, 2014, 07:19:03 pm »
Hello my friends,

I did hack couple of weeks ago and everything was OK. I also add menu 2 update with no problem..
But right now - no possible connect to my FLIR E4.

If I try connect and update fif file - Flirinstall will show Timeout connection
If I want use FTP - no chance to connect

Do you know - what could be wrong?? Last time everything was very easy...
Wrong USB mode setting?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Petrlib

• Contributor
« Reply #3194 on: January 26, 2014, 07:25:26 pm »
Dear Mike,

I tried everything.. And no success..

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #3195 on: January 26, 2014, 07:36:22 pm »
Could be an issue with the Flir RNDIS driver at the PC end - ISTR someone else has similar issues recently
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3196 on: January 26, 2014, 07:37:15 pm »
Can you connect in any way....i.e. to download pictures rather than upload files ? Try different USB sockets as that initiates new USB activation in the driver. Try another PC if you have one. Presume you have done a full 'battery out' reset on the E4 ?

If no joy, I would remove and re-install FLIR PC driver and try again. If that does not work I would look at the lead and socket as possible suspects. Try another USB  data lead.

Offline Petrlib

• Contributor
« Reply #3197 on: January 26, 2014, 07:47:13 pm »
Yes,
I can connect and I can download pictures.. But this is all what I can do.  When I change USB mode to RNDIS or etc. no success

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3198 on: January 26, 2014, 07:49:59 pm »
As mike suggested, uninstall and reinstall the FLIR RNDIS driver and see if it fixes the problem. Driver may have been corrupted by a Microsoft update ?

Offline Petrlib

• Contributor
« Reply #3199 on: January 26, 2014, 07:56:37 pm »
Thank you.. I will try and let you know...  Thank you for help..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf