Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769130 times)

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #375 on: October 30, 2013, 10:49:16 pm »
Could you perhaps make an adjustment tool out of some 'chemical metal' or similar:

- Wrap a layer of epoxy around a dowel of a suitable diameter
- (optionally) cover with cling film to prevent deposits from contaminating the lens
- press into the splined adjuster surrounding the lens and remove
- allow to harden
- trim to a convenient length
I thought of that but don't think you'd get a well enough defined edge
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #376 on: October 30, 2013, 10:54:33 pm »
Mike,
You have mentioned the quality of the lens fitted in the E4. Can you explain a little more about why you believe it is not as good as that fitted in the E8. I know that the sensitivity specs differ a little but I am wondering if you have seen any other issues, such a distortion.

Simply that the E6 &8 have a better sensitivity spec,  I haven't seen anything that looks like it's related to sensitivity in the config file, and  that the nearly £4000 price difference might be at least in part down to better optics as opposed to cynical profiteering.
I don't know a great deal about optics but I think it's reasonable to assume that a lens that is 'just good enough' for 80x60 is cheaper than one that gets the best out of a 320x240 sensor.

Offline equinoxe

• Contributor
« Reply #377 on: October 30, 2013, 11:20:08 pm »
I don't see any difference between the size of the E4 and the E8 lenses, maybe the coating is different??

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #378 on: October 30, 2013, 11:21:40 pm »
Mike,
You have mentioned the quality of the lens fitted in the E4. Can you explain a little more about why you believe it is not as good as that fitted in the E8. I know that the sensitivity specs differ a little but I am wondering if you have seen any other issues, such a distortion.

Simply that the E6 &8 have a better sensitivity spec,  I haven't seen anything that looks like it's related to sensitivity in the config file, and  that the nearly £4000 price difference might be at least in part down to better optics as opposed to cynical profiteering.
I don't know a great deal about optics but I think it's reasonable to assume that a lens that is 'just good enough' for 80x60 is cheaper than one that gets the best out of a 320x240 sensor.

I've got a spare 25mm diameter lens from a TIC if you think you could make use of it?

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #379 on: October 31, 2013, 12:01:21 am »
I don't see any difference between the size of the E4 and the E8 lenses, maybe the coating is different??
As the units look identical it is quite possible that online images of an E8 could actually be an E4. Or an E8 Or anything inbetween...
It is of course entirely possible that they are identical, or different, or have different coatings, or have a different shape inside

Here are some close-up pics - hard to see but the outer surface is concave.
X-ray indicates it is a single piece.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #380 on: October 31, 2013, 12:51:05 am »
Mike,

I've got a spare 25mm diameter lens from a TIC if you think you could make use of it?
I have a few assorted  germanium optics - no had time to play yet. That one looks like it may be a bit big to be useable.
For what I want, screwing out the lens to get close focus seems to work pretty well, or at lead will do once I get a decent tool to adjust it more easily.

Offline ron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #381 on: October 31, 2013, 01:00:36 am »
Looks like you could make a focusing tool from a rubber stopper.  Or a piece of soft rubber/silicone tubing stretched over a short dowel leaving end of tubing extending past end of dowel.  Camera repair guys use these to disassemble lenses.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #382 on: October 31, 2013, 01:01:18 am »
Bullet has been bitten... E4 ordered.
Any Flir reps reading should forward Mike a sales commission  :)
From traffic here and PMs alone , the current count is about six units so far....

Make that seven.

Decided to upgrade from my i7 to an E4. 

The photo/thermal merging ability, plus the 320x240 ability, plus the ability to focus close for PCB work made it a no-brainer.

Another commission check for Mike :)
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Hypernova

• Supporter
« Reply #383 on: October 31, 2013, 06:34:37 am »
Local dealer here in TW just gave me a quote for NT$48,300(1641USD) after tax, greedy bastards. Although if this is the only way to get one I might have to accept it.

Offline Zoltan von Negrow

• Contributor
« Reply #384 on: October 31, 2013, 07:23:28 am »
Local dealer here in TW just gave me a quote for NT$48,300(1641USD) after tax, greedy bastards. Although if this is the only way to get one I might have to accept it.

You are lucky for that 1641 USD. I gave in Czech republic 1800 USD,  :wtf:.

For that price, I will not have regrets to hack it to E8
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:29:48 am by Zoltan von Negrow »

Offline tnt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #385 on: October 31, 2013, 07:38:45 am »
Well "official" price in europe is 995 EUR excl tax. So with taxes that's around 1650 USD.

Offline Zoltan von Negrow

• Contributor
« Reply #386 on: October 31, 2013, 07:49:14 am »
Well "official" price in europe is 995 EUR excl tax. So with taxes that's around 1650 USD.

Sorry for inaccuracy, its 1740 USD,  I used bad(month old) exchange rate.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #387 on: October 31, 2013, 07:50:01 am »
yeah cos here 1usd=1eur if you are a buisness

Offline equinoxe

• Contributor
« Reply #388 on: October 31, 2013, 07:57:19 am »
yeah cos here 1usd=1eur if you are a buisness

That, or what I also have seen: 1 usd = 1.5 Euro.. :(

BTW the Flir E4 is priced Eur 1200,- here in the Netherlands..

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: October 31, 2013, 08:03:53 am »
1200, or 1204? Because 995 ex btw is the cheapest I found...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 08:16:08 am by mrflibble »

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #390 on: October 31, 2013, 08:18:10 am »
for the Dutch guys: Conrad has them in stock and they have a 10% discount on everything going till monday, so that makes € 1.083,55 including tax.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #391 on: October 31, 2013, 08:29:10 am »
Beside the possibility that the lower thermal sensitivity might only be on paper just to differentiate the more expensive E8 etc. from the cheap E4, can't it be, that the lower thermal sensitivity is due to the fact that the camera downsamples from 320x240 to 80x60? As it combines then 4x4 pixel to 1 pixel (and possibly adds some noise) it looses sensitivity of course. I doubt that Flir uses different lenses; it would probably cheaper to order/manufacture large amounts of the same lens (also used in I-series?) than having 3 or even more different lenses.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #392 on: October 31, 2013, 09:15:07 am »
Beside the possibility that the lower thermal sensitivity might only be on paper just to differentiate the more expensive E8 etc. from the cheap E4, can't it be, that the lower thermal sensitivity is due to the fact that the camera downsamples from 320x240 to 80x60? As it combines then 4x4 pixel to 1 pixel (and possibly adds some noise) it looses sensitivity of course. I doubt that Flir uses different lenses; it would probably cheaper to order/manufacture large amounts of the same lens (also used in I-series?) than having 3 or even more different lenses.
It would be the opposite - avaraging 16 pixels would reduce noise, so if all other factors are identical, a downsampled image should have more temperature resolution, not less.
I don't think manufacturing cost savings due to volume come into it - The only thing that matters is minimum cost on the E4. There is plenty of headroom in the price of the higher models to cover any increased cost of smaller volumes of bigger lenses. I doubt we'd be talking more than $100 in the sort of volumes FLIR buy lenses in.
In terms of manufacturing process - remember they already fit a different LCD window to each model as it has the model number printed  on it, as well as a different side sticker. Screwing in a different lens wouldn't be a big deal.

Offline equinoxe

• Contributor
« Reply #393 on: October 31, 2013, 11:51:49 am »
1200, or 1204? Because 995 ex btw is the cheapest I found...

1204, I rounded it to 1200.. ;)

Will conrad also give a discount on the Flir?
(I don't like Conrad. They always mess things up. Last time I ordered something from conrad I ended up waiting 3 months.. )

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: October 31, 2013, 12:03:43 pm »
Will conrad also give a discount on the Flir?

Yes they do, I ordered one.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #395 on: October 31, 2013, 12:53:37 pm »
for the Dutch guys: Conrad has them in stock and they have a 10% discount on everything going till monday, so that makes € 1.083,55 including tax.

Thanks for the tip!  :-+ I just ordered one.

And now let's hope Conrad doesn't fuck things up as per their usual modus operandi.

Offline CzokNorris

• Contributor
« Reply #396 on: October 31, 2013, 03:28:26 pm »
If anyone knows, where I can buy one of these bare sensors or sensor assemblies, please let me know.
If I can get hold of one or two (without buying the whole camera) I would fit some germanium lens to it and implement the image processing on an FPGA.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #397 on: October 31, 2013, 03:39:53 pm »
If anyone knows, where I can buy one of these bare sensors or sensor assemblies, please let me know.
If I can get hold of one or two (without buying the whole camera) I would fit some germanium lens to it and implement the image processing on an FPGA.
Zero chance of that - manufactures won't talk to you unless you're doing volume. the only other route to cheap high-res is ex-vehicle night vision cams, but these tend to go on ebay for a similar price range to the E4.
e.g,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Night-Vision-Camera-/161126804979?hash=item2583e7edf3
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-night-vision-camera-for-F-series-brand-new-original-in-original-packaging-/121122060732?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c336ff9bc

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #398 on: October 31, 2013, 04:00:42 pm »
Anyone thinking of buying one of those BMW or Audi thermal cameras for use rather than parts salvage, should be aware that the output from the module is propriatary data over LVDS. they are designed to only work with their associated ECU. Many have found out only after buying one -= money wasted  :scared:

The much older Raytheon BST based Cadillac thermal camera is Composite video output but the cameras are very expensive on the used market considering their poor performance when compared to the E4. The car mounted cameras are also vulnerable to stone chip damage to the Germanium lens, even when a lens protector was fitted.

This is a route into TIC ownership that I considered, and quickly discounted. If you can pick up a working Cadillac TIC for less than $300 then that would be reasonable for playing with. Such a unit offers no (repeat no) ability to influence its image output.
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #399 on: October 31, 2013, 04:16:55 pm »
Anyone thinking of buying one of those BMW or Audi thermal cameras for use rather than parts salvage, should be aware that the output from the module is propriatary data over LVDS. they are designed to only work with their associated ECU. Many have found out only after buying one -= money wasted  :scared:

The much older Raytheon BST based Cadillac thermal camera is Composite video output but the cameras are very expensive on the used market considering their poor performance when compared to the E4. The car mounted cameras are also vulnerable to stone chip damage to the Germanium lens, even when a lens protector was fitted.

This is a route into TIC ownership that I considered, and quickly discounted. If you can pick up a working Cadillac TIC for less than $300 then that would be reasonable for playing with. Such a unit offers no (repeat no) ability to influence its image output.
I wonder if that data format is the same as the info I found ( I think for the Tau) , which looks indentical to the one on the E4 (the latter just not being LVDS).  This would be easy to decode - the only question is how much processing is needed of the data - for vision as opposed to thermography it's probably a lot simpler. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf