Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3787073 times)

Offline plumber

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #5175 on: June 29, 2014, 01:01:48 pm »
Hi everyone .I have been trying to update my flir E6 to an E8 by following pop gamers video on you tube.
I've downloaded his links under the video and followed his video .
But when I think I'm at the end and change the file to zip my contents.fif.
When I enter the new file in flir install net it comes up ... IDS ILLEGAL. Any ideas . I would love to upgrade my camera since it cost a small fortune

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5176 on: June 29, 2014, 03:10:16 pm »
Does anyone have a working stream-configuration for me? Flir-Tools-Stream works with activated UVC+RNDIS and http://192.168.0.2/webcam.asp works too. But it isnt working in VLC-Player with the standard-adress: 192.168.0.2:554 ipconfig/all says its the correct address.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5177 on: June 29, 2014, 07:35:41 pm »
Does anyone have a working stream-configuration for me? Flir-Tools-Stream works with activated UVC+RNDIS and http://192.168.0.2/webcam.asp works too. But it isnt working in VLC-Player with the standard-adress: 192.168.0.2:554 ipconfig/all says its the correct address.

I've got the E4 streaming (and recording) just fine. See this older post: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg347138/#msg347138

Will be interested to hear what you come up with using opencv. :)

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5178 on: June 30, 2014, 12:33:19 am »
ffserver cant be compiled on Windows. Im using Windows 7 64-Bit.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5179 on: June 30, 2014, 12:40:24 am »
No habla windoze senior. In which case I don't have a working solution for you, sorry.

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5180 on: July 01, 2014, 12:35:35 am »
Just reseted my E4 from E8-status again to E4 just to be sure its not depended on the firmware-files in the cam, but no effect, still no available stream in vlc. Tried it already on a Vista-32Bit-laptop and a Win7-64Bit-Desktop. Will try to get a stream in vlc on another XP-pc which is not connected to my home-network, i seriously dont know why it doesnt work.  |O

Offline Iphone_hack

• Contributor
« Reply #5181 on: July 01, 2014, 06:20:51 am »
These probably aren't hackable but http://store.flir.com/category/ex-series-infrared-cameras

Really?
$100 off for E4
$250 off for E5 or E6?
Mmmm.... Wonder why?  :scared:
Possible drop on sales after the new firmware came out?  |O
Come on flir! No brainer!
I already said in the pass, if flir blocks the hack, it will see drop of the Ex model sales
I am one of the guys who bought 2 E4 because of the hack, if no hack, I would wait for the flir one
Which still no news.
I would bought a 3rd or maybe more because of friends saw my E4, and wanted to buy it from me.
But I don't want to get stuck with an unhackable E4
So kind of wait and see with the new firmware  :phew:

Offline jjmmss00

• Contributor
« Reply #5182 on: July 03, 2014, 11:42:55 am »
The Cameras on sale seem to have some sort of impaired temperature range.

Offline jjmmss00

• Contributor
« Reply #5183 on: July 03, 2014, 11:52:09 am »
Hi All,

I have been searching for a way to extract the raw data from my new Flir e4, and tried the "Batch Flir Image Converter" (mentioned above) which so far  works really well.

My one concern is that that my Norton virus software reports a security risk based on reputation (i.e. there was no actual issue found, but they didn't trust the source). Has anyone found any sort of problem with this download?

jjmss00

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5184 on: July 03, 2014, 04:32:29 pm »
@jjmmss

Interesting .... well spotted.

So FLIR are selling off sub standard products for a small discount. A duff batch of microbolometers maybe. Surprised FLIR will sell sub standard product though. The small amount of discount is a joke as well.

I note that measurement accuracy and ambient working temperature are compromised. The E4 has no physical temperature stabilisation and relies upon an algorithm and look-up table to estimate the error introduced by ambient temperature changes. It is a possibility that the calibration stage of production detected 'out of limits' calibration values for these cameras below zero and above 40C.
Surprised that measurement accuracy would have been compromised though as that is based upon calibration tables and some maths. +-5C is a truly appalling accuracy figure for a thermal camera.  A bit of an odd situation really.

I wonder what FLIR do to clearly identify the cameras as sub standard specification....... Brand them with a big letter 'R' for Reject maybe  ;D
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5185 on: July 03, 2014, 05:08:50 pm »
Just had a chat with the FLIR-Support. They told me that RTSP-Streaming with the usual Infracam-Driver isnt possible for Ex-Series-Cams, instead these cams only support UVC-Streaming (which the "Flir Tools"-Software uses). Thought you guys mentioned that rtsp-streaming works with your ex-series-cams? Or is the rtsp-streaming regulated in the firmware-file and the hack should have enabled it? *confused*

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5186 on: July 03, 2014, 09:33:31 pm »
Dont know if the e4 was intimidated but it now works, dont know why (as i recall i tested the uvc-stream-function properly in opencv last time) but it now streams per UCV. Quite slow with 4 fps or so, but should be manageable to increase that to 9 fps.  :)

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5187 on: July 04, 2014, 01:00:25 am »
So FLIR are selling off sub standard products for a small discount. A duff batch of microbolometers maybe. Surprised FLIR will sell sub standard product though. The small amount of discount is a joke as well.

I note that measurement accuracy and ambient working temperature are compromised. The E4 has no physical temperature stabilisation and relies upon an algorithm and look-up table to estimate the error introduced by ambient temperature changes. It is a possibility that the calibration stage of production detected 'out of limits' calibration values for these cameras below zero and above 40C.
Surprised that measurement accuracy would have been compromised though as that is based upon calibration tables and some maths. +-5C is a truly appalling accuracy figure for a thermal camera.  A bit of an odd situation really.

True. The discounted E4 has a temperature range of 0°C to 150°C (32°F to 302°F). Standard E4 temperature range is –20°C to +250°C (–4°F to +482°F). The discounted "E4" is quite hobbled, especially in light of the mere 10% discount.

On top of that, the ±5% accuracy vs the standard E4 ±2% accuracy makes me wonder why FLIR is even letting these get out the door.

Temperature range and accuracy of the discounted E5 and E6 cameras is the same as that of the discounted E4.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 01:04:49 am by tsmith35 »

Offline JFA

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5188 on: July 04, 2014, 01:11:50 am »
Just so you know.
I've gone to pick up an E4 which had a defective UP switch more than a month ago.

I sent the camera specifying that I did NOT want the firmware to be upgraded. I told the store guy that I purchased that model and firmware and that I requested same model and firmware, that I did not authorise the upgrade.

The camera came with an upgrade to v2.3.0

When we sent the camera, weeks agow, we found among his inventory one of the remaining V1.22.0 and he set it aside for me in his office with my name on it.

So I have got a V1.22.0
but...
FLIR does not respect the DO NOT UPGRADE instructions, it seems...

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #5189 on: July 04, 2014, 02:06:58 am »
That will hopefully become a moot point once someone figures out how to hack the 2.x.x firmware. ;D

Offline KyleK29

« Reply #5190 on: July 04, 2014, 03:50:55 am »
Figured I'd throw this here.

Received a FLIR E4 today, this is the info:

E4 1.2L
Serial: 63928###
Software: 2.3.0
Cal Date: May 23rd, 2014

Was able to connect to it using the FLIRnetworktool + Set_RNDIS_temporary.fif file (Set_RNDIS_permenant.fif didn't work). Unable to do resolution hack, because of the previously talked about "tail 2 invalid" error.

If anyone needs the encrypted conf.cfc for comparisons, let me know.

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #5191 on: July 04, 2014, 04:16:15 am »
This thread had 357 pages earlier today, but now it's at 355. Did someone delete some posts?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5192 on: July 04, 2014, 07:23:41 am »
Well it wasn't me this time  ;)

Aurora

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #5193 on: July 04, 2014, 03:05:43 pm »
I think it was freak_ge this time. A cached version of this thread shows that he has 131 posts, but now he only has 71.

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #5194 on: July 05, 2014, 12:07:13 am »
I've been religiously saving this thread since day1. Having done the mod, my guess was that FLIR would have forced it wiped, and there was/is
too much valuable information to lose :-)  I'll go through and compare the missing bits and see if there's anything worth recovering.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5195 on: July 05, 2014, 03:04:08 pm »
I understand that the Internet Wayback machine has already been directed to this thread  ;

Freak_ge  may have had good reason to purge his postings ( I know that way back in this thread I had to do similar until my involvement had been approved). I hope Freak_ge is OK as I cannot see any of his postings so he may have decamped ?

Aurora

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #5196 on: July 05, 2014, 03:07:54 pm »
I think it was freak_ge this time. A cached version of this thread shows that he has 131 posts, but now he only has 71.

freak_ge  has  deleted all their posts. No response to a PM asking not to.
Looking at the profile for freak_ge, their personal text reads 'GoodBye!' so it would seem they are leaving.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5197 on: July 05, 2014, 03:12:21 pm »
Many thanks Geoff.

Pity he had to leave that way, but I suppose he had his reasons.

OK, Own up ! who pi**ed him off  ;)

Aurora

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #5198 on: July 05, 2014, 03:14:13 pm »
He's still logged on and active as of 10 minutes ago.

Offline uski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5199 on: July 05, 2014, 08:37:36 pm »
I thought you couldn't delete your own messages if they are very old ? Doesn't it take an admin to do that ? Or am I mistaken ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf