Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3789080 times)

MrSheep and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #6000 on: December 03, 2014, 04:19:29 am »
I also ordered early Monday morning (around 9am est)..... I guess I will call tomorrow and see what is up. I see the charge pending on my credit card. 

Offline supermikel

« Reply #6001 on: December 03, 2014, 04:38:16 pm »
Hi,

i want to ask about any Progress with Respekt to a Menue hack for the  E4. Manual Temp.range Setting, and different palettes are Feature i dream on. Is there any Menue hack available?

Thanks

Mikel

Offline viacom1

• Contributor
« Reply #6002 on: December 03, 2014, 04:57:18 pm »
If you go on the website you can see that you guys bought out their entire inventory.  Some will be delayed a few days I'm sure.

Ordered from Zoro yesterday and order still shows "Pending Approval".... I'm starting to wonder if they are going to honer the 30% off coupon....

Offline sidewinder770

« Reply #6003 on: December 03, 2014, 06:44:50 pm »
Well much to my surprise it showed up at my door this morning! Looks like it shipped from IL and I'm in MI so it got here next day. I did the update and all went well- 320x240 now! FW version 1.2 and SW 3.2.0

Does anyone have the files and procedures for eliminating the flir logo and getting the other palettes? There was link to file from 2 weeks ago but they are no longer there. Any help would be great- Thanks!

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6004 on: December 03, 2014, 09:10:05 pm »
Nothing new so far...
2.3.0_Menu_3.zip
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:16:54 pm by janekivi »

Offline sidewinder770

« Reply #6005 on: December 03, 2014, 10:05:29 pm »
Thanks- that did the trick and easy to do!

Offline skarabas

« Reply #6006 on: December 04, 2014, 12:35:21 am »
Thanks- that did the trick and easy to do!

Im in the same boat sidewinder...  Literally, from Michigan, ordered it from zoro with the discount, got it today.  The resolution hack worked, but the menu thing isn't taking.  In fact I am losing all my menus/button fuctionality when I run it.  What did you do to get them to work right? 

Offline sidewinder770

« Reply #6007 on: December 04, 2014, 01:02:10 am »
All I did was run the 2.3.0_menu_upgrade.fif from the FLIRInstallNet application. It restarted and the additional color palettes were there and the logo was gone- no problems at all. Where in MI are you?

Offline skarabas

« Reply #6008 on: December 04, 2014, 02:48:40 am »
grand rapids.

I must have disconnected the flir before it was done injecting the fif (I was getting impatient at that point).  Tried it again and it worked out fine.  The only thing I'm missing (I don't think the new FW is compatible with it yet) is the ability to manually enter temp scales.  But I can survive without it.

And a big heads up for anyone else with the new firmware, for some reason or other (at least for me) windows 8.1 doesn't set up the network options properly and even manually entering the IP and Gateway doesn't work.  Tried three different windows 8.1 pcs and about a dozen usb ports with zero luck.  I ended up digging out an old windows 7 laptop and everything worked perfectly on the first try.

Offline Northdynamic

« Reply #6009 on: December 04, 2014, 04:01:45 pm »
Thanks  janekivi!

Just ran the menu upgrade on my 2.3, now I have full resolution and added pallets; one step closer to full unlock!

Offline Co6aka

• Supporter
« Reply #6010 on: December 05, 2014, 03:29:19 am »
Been fiddling with a v2.3 cam for about an hour now... Cannot get past the "150 File status okay; about to open data connection" message; just hangs there and that's that. IP comes right up, login is successful, but...???

SOLUTION: Re-checked Win-Firewall and a SECOND entry is now present for FTP, and after enabling access for the new entry everything worked. Prolly that's the cause behind the trouble people have been having.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 04:11:51 am by Co6aka »
Co6aka says, "BARK! and you have no idea how humans will respond."

Offline Myrulken

« Reply #6011 on: December 05, 2014, 12:33:34 pm »
Hello all.
I have a FLIR E4 before me that i bought yesterday and that has been slightly used, and my question is this: Can you somehow tell if this unit has been hacked? Does it show anywhere in the system? The startup screen seems normal, but in the specs in the camera it says "Model - E4, i was thinking that this might change once you've upgrade it?
If it isn't hacked i will do it, but it's quite unnecessary if it's already been hacked... ;)

Its a fairly new unit so the software is 2.3, btw..

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6012 on: December 05, 2014, 01:47:36 pm »
Hello all.
I have a FLIR E4 before me that i bought yesterday and that has been slightly used, and my question is this: Can you somehow tell if this unit has been hacked? Does it show anywhere in the system? The startup screen seems normal, but in the specs in the camera it says "Model - E4, i was thinking that this might change once you've upgrade it?
If it isn't hacked i will do it, but it's quite unnecessary if it's already been hacked... ;)

Its a fairly new unit so the software is 2.3, btw..

It's highly unlikely that it is, but you can check the outputted images, which will indicate what the resolution is.

Offline Myrulken

« Reply #6013 on: December 05, 2014, 02:19:40 pm »
If i open this in Linux GIMP, it says: Image size 320x240 , but in another line it says that resolution is: 72x72 DPI?  :-//

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:10:46 pm by Myrulken »

Offline KK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6014 on: December 05, 2014, 02:42:43 pm »
If you go on the website you can see that you guys bought out their entire inventory.  Some will be delayed a few days I'm sure.

Ordered from Zoro yesterday and order still shows "Pending Approval".... I'm starting to wonder if they are going to honer the 30% off coupon....

I was surprised to get a 1.2 firmware from Zorro. But, I am pleased.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6015 on: December 05, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »
If i open this in Linux GIMP, it says: Image size 320x240 , but in another line it says that resolution is: 72x72 DPI?  :-//

EDIT: If i'm not mistaken it should be hacked, if you look to the picture res?

I'll ask the seller later and how he did it and report back!

Open the image in FLIR Tools and check what the IR resolution reports as:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:18:12 pm by Chanc3 »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6016 on: December 05, 2014, 03:20:00 pm »
To my eyes that sample image looks to have 80x60 thermal resolution. i.e it has not been hacked.

Aurora
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:21:59 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Myrulken

« Reply #6017 on: December 05, 2014, 03:35:03 pm »
Big thank you for the replies.

The device was not hacked, but now it is! I just followed the steps in the guides here and it worked like a charm. Thank you for making this possible!

If someone having difficulties with the steps in the guide, drop me a PM and i'll try to help you  :)

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6018 on: December 05, 2014, 03:42:50 pm »
Can you somehow tell if this unit has been hacked? Does it show anywhere in the system?

To my eyes that sample image looks to have 80x60 thermal resolution. i.e it has not been hacked.

Aurora

yes
Code: [Select]
>exiftool -RAW* FLIR0016.jpg
Raw Value Median                : 10220
Raw Value Range                 : 432
Raw Thermal Image Width         : 80
Raw Thermal Image Height        : 60
Raw Thermal Image Type          : PNG
Raw Thermal Image               : (Binary data 5566 bytes, use -b option to extract)

Offline comanche3

• Contributor
« Reply #6019 on: December 05, 2014, 06:59:00 pm »
switch to thermal image only - no msx and post a picture of your hand, so we can tell you if you have high resolution

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6020 on: December 05, 2014, 07:53:14 pm »
A unhacked camera has a lot of visible noise, just close the lens cover and you will see it all dancing all over the background.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6021 on: December 06, 2014, 04:31:05 am »
Which firmware suggest the Flir tools updater for the old E4 with a FW 1.19 (the first version with a plain text config file and simple crc01 checksum)?

What is happened by a firmware update from a old un-crypted 1.19 to current firmware?
Persists the old plain text config file with simple CRC01 check?

If yes, why we cant simple hack the current FW with an old plain text CRC01 config file?
Are there additional entries in EEPROM of newer cameras ?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 12:08:20 pm by tomas123 »

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6022 on: December 06, 2014, 12:51:38 pm »
Which firmware suggest the Flir tools updater for the old E4 with a FW 1.19 (the first version with a plain text config file and simple crc01 checksum)?

What is happened by a firmware update from a old un-crypted 1.19 to current firmware?
Persists the old plain text config file with simple CRC01 check?

If yes, why we cant simple hack the current FW with an old plain text CRC01 config file?
Are there additional entries in EEPROM of newer cameras ?

Hi Tomas -

the FLIR Updater suggests the currently latest Version 2.3.0 for a 1.19.8 camera (been there, done that). The update procedure itself ends with an error (though I forgot what it actually says). After the update, the firmware of the camera is reported as "2.3.0*", whatever the asterisk means... All the config files stay unencrypted and the "simple" hack for the 1.19.8 still works. Yet, the menu extension won't since FLIR seems to have removed some of the functions from appcore and facet.rcc doesn't contain all the required modules anymore. I was able to assemble a "special" facet.rcc with the help of some of this forum's members that will return most of the menu extensions of the old hack, but the manual temperature range adjustment was one of the functions that wouldn't work. Also most of the extended web configuration menu items would only report something like "This function is not supported".

Examinations and comparisons between the camera backup and OEM update packages showed that the updater replaces the operating system and most files in FlashBFS. Some config files stay untouched as well as the defect management (obviously). CRC01 check for the config files is kept.

With a "home-brewn" 1.19.8 update package (which apparently doesn't exist publicly available from FLIR), I was able to revert my camera back to 1.19.8 with the updater once again terminating at 96% with an error message. After the "downgrade" the camera reported a software configuration ">0.1.1"  ;D or something like this. To finally get this sorted, I had to manually replace the two files in  \flashBFS\system\kits.d\ "appkit.rev" and "prodkit.rev" with the ones from my old backup.

There must be some additional software layer (or maybe even hardware coding) that reports to appcore what config file format it should expect and that renders an old software configuration inoperational. This could be the bootloader which was the only file where the version number didn't change throughout this "journey". Yet, I failed to locate the bootloader, maybe it's residing in a hidden partition of the flash memory? Maybe if we would be able to locate and access the bootloader, we could up/downgrade the camera as we like.

About the EEPROM structure and if it was changed on generic 2.x.y cameras I haven't got any information. All that I can tell is that on my camera, the EEPROM access password stayed "1235" even after the update.

Maybe this information is some food for thoughts regarding a possible "downgrade" of later camera versions.

Cheers,
Thomas

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6023 on: December 06, 2014, 02:12:02 pm »
great answer  :-+ :-+

Thank You

All the config files stay unencrypted and the "simple" hack for the 1.19.8 still works.
as expected, Flir now use the eeprom as dongle
so that newer E4 can't down step to unencrypted config files
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 02:16:01 pm by tomas123 »

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6024 on: December 06, 2014, 10:07:28 pm »
As I wrote here before, you can play with old software in new 2.3.0 1.2L E4 and it loads plain text conf.cfc files. This is not problem. I took some files from flir_ex_pn639_v1.18.7_update_pack.
There is few changes in windows files and who knows what it checks for booting... that's why I'm not test yet full
software downgrade.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf