Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3796771 times)

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #6525 on: January 22, 2015, 02:28:52 pm »
Oops, i missed that discussion, thanks OrBy, good info.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Isaac-1

• Contributor
« Reply #6526 on: January 22, 2015, 09:08:10 pm »
I was at a trade show the other day with a FLIR product booth, and after being asked if I owned a FLIR camera (I told him yes an E4 and left it at that) the official FLIR rep at the booth told me that FLIR is now offering software updates when units are sent in for re-calibration where one can get their E4 upgraded to an E5,E6,E8 specs for the cost difference of the models.

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6527 on: January 22, 2015, 11:02:32 pm »
I was at a trade show the other day with a FLIR product booth, and after being asked if I owned a FLIR camera (I told him yes an E4 and left it at that) the official FLIR rep at the booth told me that FLIR is now offering software updates when units are sent in for re-calibration where one can get their E4 upgraded to an E5,E6,E8 specs for the cost difference of the models.
LOL tell him you already did that for free

Offline Apollo11

« Reply #6528 on: January 23, 2015, 06:49:46 am »

http://support.flir.se/CustHelp/FirmwareDownload/rss/camfeed.xml
FLIR Ex Series (1.22.0)
Montag, 10. März 2014 12:40

Main improvements

Improved shutter handling.
    Various bug fixes.

source firmware: http://support.flir.com/SwDownload/app/RssSWDownload.aspx?ID=196
Hi Folks, 1st post here and a big THANK YOU to all for this amazing thread  :-+

FLIR removed the old EX 1.22 Update Package from their website,  Please could someone who may have downloaded it kindly upload/post a link to the 1.22 Update Pack file? A big thanks .

Mine's an old E4 1.1L / 1.19.8 (Calibration Dec 2013). Even with stock 80x60 reso it's quite useful machine to find cold drafts around the house ;).  But my E4 having intermittent issues with shutter laggy or even unresponsive and occasional lockups - so I want to try the 1.22 f/w upgrade to see if that makes any difference.  Thanks again!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:11:40 am by Apollo11 »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #6529 on: January 23, 2015, 09:44:30 am »
But my E4 having intermittent issues with shutter laggy or even unresponsive and occasional lockups - so I want to try the 1.22 f/w upgrade to see if that makes any difference.  Thanks again!

Please keep us posted in case if you will upgrade FW1.98 HW1 E4 to FW 2.3 and then get the high res.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:56:16 am by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline lwi004

• Contributor
« Reply #6530 on: January 23, 2015, 02:53:24 pm »

Suppose that answers the question if the E4 was given bolometers etc which didn't pass the requirements of the E8. Obviously not if they can make the upgrade just like that.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6531 on: January 23, 2015, 06:44:22 pm »
For those worried about the pressure the cover puts on the USB cable, I use a simple clothes peg on the base of the rubber cover to hold it off from putting pressure on the cable. (I'm pretty sure that's been mentioned before as well!)
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline -jeffB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6532 on: January 23, 2015, 06:56:07 pm »

Sweet! Now, if I send in an E8 for re-calibration, can I get them to downgrade it to an E4, and send me the $5K cost difference as a credit? Because if they'll do that, I'm totally buying out Zoro's stock of E8's the next time a 25-30% off coupon comes around...

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6533 on: January 23, 2015, 07:55:43 pm »
When I got my camera there was
.image.flow.digitalFilter.spatial.apr3x3.replacedPixels  98
from this they made E4...

Offline matthewxd

« Reply #6534 on: January 24, 2015, 04:57:32 am »
Hello,
Thank you very much for your hard work and good instructions.  I did the resolution hack for my new Flir E4 v2.3.0, followed the instruction 'STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS for Flir E4 (Firmware 2.3.0) for beginners (How I did it... and it worked)' ( Reply #6491 on: January 13, 2015). 

Every step is fine. But the last step 'python apply.py apply 192.168.1.2' give me errors: error_perm('550 File unavailable ...' as shown in the attached file.

I booted the Flir E4. The screen is very clean now with lens closed, not as noisy as before. The image looks better(see attached images). The jpeg image file size is more than 110K, bigger than before. The menu and settings are the same as before.

What is wrong with the above error message? Are the files uploaded to the camera successfully? Do I need to do again?

Thank you very much in advance for your comment about this issue.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:51:11 am by matthewxd »

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6535 on: January 24, 2015, 09:38:18 am »
You have all done and this is normal if you don't stop app.
You can read this from attached screenshot here:

You may have to run "stopapp" before you can overwrite common_dll.dll.

Offline leoibb

• Contributor
« Reply #6536 on: January 24, 2015, 02:15:40 pm »
Curiously is there any way for a live feed to a smartphone . Can some dongle be plugged in to ish port on camera and teanfer a live feed to the smart phone . There is live feed on pc but it is via usb lead no idea of the benefits of that tho .

Offline gif999

• Contributor
« Reply #6537 on: January 25, 2015, 01:31:23 pm »
Here is a little Python script to convert between conf.cfc and  conf.cfg on 2.3. Just execute

cfccfg.py XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX conf.cfc conf.cfg

where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is the string returned by suid command on camera. You can convert the file back to cfc using the same command:

cfccfg.py XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX conf.cfg confBack.cfc

Please note:
where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is the string returned by suid command on camera.
You can convert the file back to cfc using the same command:
but remember, you can use this to get working conf only in one condition.
Otherwise you need to replace last 16 bytes and write there new beginning
address of signature. But you don't need signature and CRC represented there.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:02:03 pm by gif999 »

The following users thanked this post: davith

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #6538 on: January 25, 2015, 01:45:33 pm »
Greetings
I want to ask whether, after a complaint camera, I can upload files back ("hack E8" common_dll.dll a conf.cfc).
Or should I create a new one?
Firmware 2.3.
About faulty thermo sensor:-(
Thanks for the info.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:48:05 pm by Sofia »

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6539 on: January 25, 2015, 04:06:53 pm »
where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is the string returned by suid command on camera.
You can convert the file back to cfc using the same command:
but remember, you can use this to get working conf only in one condition.
Otherwise you need to replace last 16 bytes and write there new beginning
address of signature. But you don't need signature and CRC represented there.

Offline kolb

« Reply #6540 on: January 25, 2015, 04:28:25 pm »
Hello all! Been lurking for a while but this is my first post. Hope it's not in the wrong place. If it is, please feel free to move it or direct me.

I'm in need of assistance from someone that knows what they are doing on these.  I have a FLIR E4 with firmware 1.22 that I had a buddy do the update on.  The resolution is great now, multiple color palettes are available, and I get the "special edition" banner at boot up.  I am having a problem where the MSX is not working, or available in the menu, but the digital camera does work.  Also, the menu for the "crosshairs" doesn't make any changes and occasionally freezes up.  If this is something you could help me with, I would gladly send PayPall, check, cash, first born child etc. for your time and effort.  I'm a little scared to mess with it more as it SEEMED the instructions were pretty clear but I know NOTHING about these things. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Please PM if you can help.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:12:57 am by kolb »

Offline GARRETT64

• Contributor
« Reply #6541 on: January 25, 2015, 04:57:00 pm »
In the last 7 days I have been digging through 4500 messages, only  2065 to go... ;D
Just seen the YouTube video about the 1.22 hack, makes the mod more clear, any change for a 1.23 firmware mod clip?

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6542 on: January 26, 2015, 06:12:09 am »
In the last 7 days I have been digging through 4500 messages, only  2065 to go... ;D
Just seen the YouTube video about the 1.22 hack, makes the mod more clear, any change for a 1.23 firmware mod clip?
2.3 video coming sometime this week

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6543 on: January 26, 2015, 06:14:34 am »
Hello all! Been lurking for a while but this is my first post. Hope it's not in the wrong place. If it is, please feel free to move it or direct me.

I'm in need of assistance from someone that knows what they are doing on these.  I have a FLIR E4 with firmware 1.22 that I had a buddy do the update on.  The resolution is great now, multiple color palettes are available, and I get the "special edition" banner at boot up.  I am having a problem where the MSX is not working, or available in the menu, but the digital camera does work.  Also, the menu for the "crosshairs" doesn't make any changes and occasionally freezes up.  If this is something you could help me with, I would gladly send PayPall, check, cash, first born child etc. for your time and effort.  I'm a little scared to have my buddy mess with it more as it SEEMED the instructions were pretty clear but I know NOTHING about these things. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Please PM if you can help.
Sounds like he messed up the CRC, check your email I can help you out for free. or check out my video on youtube(check the first post)

Offline kolb

« Reply #6544 on: January 26, 2015, 06:46:31 am »
DaveWB - PM sent

Offline GARRETT64

• Contributor
« Reply #6545 on: January 26, 2015, 08:15:23 am »
Thanks DaveWB, I want to use the TIC for my hobby astronomy, I have a large Newton type telescope which is highly automated for remote imaging.
Some parts of the telescope are heated to prevent dew, but for optimum imaging results the telescope should have the same temperature on any part.
The TIC can show us (I'm not the only user) heat spots.
And we can use the telescope as 'lens' for the E4 by removing the E4 lens and make a special adaptor to attach the E4 on the telescope focuser,
having a 1550mm F3.8 mirror 'lens' for a TIC!, for several reasons this isn't easy, we must also modify the telescope in some way.

The image show the telescope still inside my home.

Garrett

Offline Emoticon

• Contributor
« Reply #6546 on: January 26, 2015, 04:13:46 pm »
Before doing anything else make sure the mirrors actually transmit IR to make sure that's even possible. Telescope mirrors sometimes use different coatings than a bathroom mirror for example and the reflective coating is usually on the surface rather than behind the glass on most mirrors. Cross your fingers because it will only be possible to even think about doing that with a Newtonian refractor. SCT or something like that wont work because the lenses certainly won't transmit IR.

Offline Co6aka

• Supporter
« Reply #6547 on: January 26, 2015, 04:15:50 pm »
And we can use the telescope as 'lens' for the E4...
Nope, you can't (not unless you change all of the lenses in the telescope to ones made from a material that passes LWIR.)

And PS- Your focal distances will probably be slightly off too.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:17:25 pm by Co6aka »
Co6aka says, "BARK! and you have no idea how humans will respond."

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6548 on: January 26, 2015, 06:57:28 pm »
Since he has a Newton type telescope (reflecting telescope), the only optical lenses are on the eye piece.

Even if his mirrors where made of just glass they will work for LWIR since they can't penetrate it. So any glass object becomes a mirror.

But I guess it will depend on how his mirrors are made and the type of coating since they are probably first surface mirrors, so the material will dictate if they can reflect the infrared wavelength range that the sensor can detect.

Offline Emoticon

• Contributor
« Reply #6549 on: January 26, 2015, 08:09:35 pm »
The type of telescope he's talking about uses curved mirrors only. The only lenses would be the eyepiece but what's he's doing is called prime focus where you remove the eyepiece and focus directly into the E4 sensor. If his mirrors reflect LWIR it should be theoretically doable. I'm not sure though that it would be worth doing because the device would not really see through the atmosphere well enough to provide any data. He could use it for long range terrestrial viewing though if the mirrors work. But the temp readings would be wayyyy off.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 08:11:19 pm by Emoticon »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf