Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3801463 times)

Offline Emoticon

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #6625 on: February 09, 2015, 02:03:20 am »
Thanks to Janekivi I found my cat today :P! We have in inside cat that somehow escaped and nobody noticed. I got my E4 and got my wife to drive around the neighborhood in the dark. It's near freezing here and I set the alarm palette to highlight anything over 60 degrees. After about 10 minutes of driving I spotted a red ball in the bushes, it was our cat and now he's home. :) Thanks lol!

Offline gif999

• Contributor
« Reply #6626 on: February 09, 2015, 02:49:24 am »
Typing anything that I tried makes no difference whatsoever to anything (debug log stays the same, no USB change, no prompt, nothing).

Does space vs enter do anything different when it prompts?

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6627 on: February 09, 2015, 05:23:57 am »
Typing anything that I tried makes no difference whatsoever to anything (debug log stays the same, no USB change, no prompt, nothing).

Darn. Well there goes that thought.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6628 on: February 09, 2015, 08:23:44 am »
gif999, did you try firmware update through FLIR Tools ? Can FLIR Tools see the camera to do an update?

Also, did you try eFLIRInstall.exe (not FlirInstallNet.exe), it comes in update packages for bunch of FLIR camera models, but not sure if it works with Ex, may be worth trying.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6629 on: February 09, 2015, 08:30:00 am »
A quick video, playing with E4 menu: a programmable button and custom popup menu

http://wikisend.com/download/544016/test.avi

We soon will need a custom user manual for  2.3.0, this thing is blowing out of proportion
  8)

Offline GARRETT64

• Contributor
« Reply #6630 on: February 09, 2015, 08:54:21 am »
Done! today I have hacked my E4 (resolution only) . :-+ what a difference, gone is the noise!  :) :)

All the reading in this topic, watching several YouTube video-clips and reading other sites took me over 100 hours.
3 weeks ago I knew nothing about FTP connection, Prompt, and Python, now I can put this knowledge to my CV...

Yesterday however I was stuck with opening the Python folder with Prompt; I had [>>>] and then a Syntax error every time.
Today after some more YouTube clips I found the problem, I was knocking on Pythons wrong door!
The image point the right path to the Python folder.

Garrett
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:33:18 am by GARRETT64 »

Offline GARRETT64

• Contributor
« Reply #6631 on: February 09, 2015, 09:49:15 am »
If you don't have a E4 yet this images may surprise you, this image is not just a black and white image of a kitchen sink, it is a real 100 % heat image,
no image gimmicks, no MSX tricks.
It looks like bl/w because the brushed stainless steel sink and the chrome tap reflects very good the surrounding heat from my self and the fluorescent light.

Garrett
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:10:29 am by GARRETT64 »

Offline gif999

• Contributor
« Reply #6632 on: February 09, 2015, 12:50:31 pm »
gif999, did you try firmware update through FLIR Tools ? Can FLIR Tools see the camera to do an update?

yes, no.

Also, did you try eFLIRInstall.exe (not FlirInstallNet.exe), it comes in update packages for bunch of FLIR camera models, but not sure if it works with Ex, may be worth trying.

eFLIRInstall.exe is a windows CE executable. So that's not going to work.

I am starting to think that removing and reading the flash memory might be the only way to go.

Offline gemrough

• Contributor
« Reply #6633 on: February 09, 2015, 05:23:54 pm »
Yes

I am a brand newbie here and I just have some questions...

Here is the short of it. I am a homeowner / DIY'er who just purchased a FLIR E4 for my own personal use to find and seal air leaks in my home. I am astounded at the things that I have found in the first week of "playing". I have been reading this blog until my eyes have popped out of my head. At first I thought I had a good handle on things being said here, but now I have become a little confused with the conversation.

I am just interested in doing the resolution hack on my imager. I am not interested (at this time) in any of the menu hacks, unless it limits the camera's ability to work correctly. Is the basic resolution hack that Gemrough posted in thread #6488 still the proper set of instructions for my E4 1.2L ver. 2.3.0?

I have read a lot of new stuff which I believe is geared towards the menu hacks... I just need the basics.

Thanks for any help that is offered. And great job to all that have put a huge amount of time into this. It is pretty cool.

Offline jha

« Reply #6634 on: February 09, 2015, 06:01:35 pm »
I have special questions regarding the ftp user and pass to E4 v2.3.0!
@janekivi

Have a new Camera purchased - as usual in europe E4 v2.3.0 gets delivered now! (From Estonia!)
Did do ResHack v0.4 successfully - pass for ftp were flir/3vlig (No troubles at connection)
Did  do the Menu 230  Ex E4 patch - sucessfully  -  but old pw is not valid anymore! - instead the basic  pass: anonymous/NcFTP@
will work!
I know that the "anonymous" pass should had worked always, as it is used by FLIRInstallNet. Even if  i don't used it before.

But how can that standard user/pass been killed ? - is it in one of the files the userpasswords stored - i couldn't find - or is the flir/3vlig pass simply destroyed with that patch because of modifying ?

Thanks for help - Maybe then there is more clear!

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #6635 on: February 09, 2015, 09:48:16 pm »
@janekivi

Have a new Camera purchased - as usual in europe E4 v2.3.0 gets delivered now! (From Estonia!)
Did do ResHack v0.4 successfully - pass for ftp were flir/3vlig (No troubles at connection)
Did  do the Menu 230  Ex E4 patch - sucessfully  -  but old pw is not valid anymore! - instead the basic  pass: anonymous/NcFTP@
will work!
I know that the "anonymous" pass should had worked always, as it is used by FLIRInstallNet. Even if  i don't used it before.

But how can that standard user/pass been killed ? - is it in one of the files the userpasswords stored - i couldn't find - or is the flir/3vlig pass simply destroyed with that patch because of modifying ?

I also wonder:-)

Offline gif999

• Contributor
« Reply #6636 on: February 10, 2015, 04:05:14 am »
I finally brought my E4 2.3 back to life  :phew:. The console and debug serial ports are kind of working in 2.3 but they are ciphered. I had to write a small app to decode (Rx) and encode (Tx) while  communicating with the camera. Once I got that working, it was just a matter of using  the bootloader configuration menu to enable RNDIS and  set the IP address before downloading and flashing an official 2.3 NK.bin (using Visual studio 2005/windows platform builder to send the file to the camera).

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #6637 on: February 10, 2015, 07:27:18 am »
@janekivi

will work!

My observation is that if the camera recorded the original files, the original name and password Again.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6638 on: February 10, 2015, 09:55:14 am »
No problems here with flir/3vlig, but the camera has to be turned on and application running. If it is plugged in to a USB port but is off, only anonymous ftp user works.

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #6639 on: February 10, 2015, 02:16:36 pm »
No problems here with flir/3vlig, but the camera has to be turned on and application running. If it is plugged in to a USB port but is off, only anonymous ftp user works.
OK thanks for the info:-)

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6640 on: February 10, 2015, 03:43:53 pm »
I have seen how flir/3vlig is not working and only anonymous is usable but this is not always.
And this is not because of hack or menu. I have only custom files in camera and done some
1025 restarts and sometimes is won't connect correctly with usb and then user flir is not
usable. Sometimes it won't connect Z drive with images folder too - no user access.
So, this is depends in what condition the camera is and then it needs reconnect or restart.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6641 on: February 10, 2015, 05:35:47 pm »
A quick video, playing with E4 menu: a programmable button and custom popup menu
We soon will need a custom user manual for  2.3.0, this thing is blowing out of proportion  8)
You like to say we can now remake drone view with programmable (down)button
and use zoom popup (with up button) from EXX
http://wikisend.com/download/882832/flir_bw_zoom.mp4

Offline dorcy

« Reply #6642 on: February 10, 2015, 08:48:10 pm »
A great big thank you to all the geniuses here on this forum. Just got my e4 2.3 resolution working. Trying to crack the menu but unsuccessful so far. cannot locate the new conf.cfc file from in the camera to do the janekivi (you are that man by the way.) python script. does the new file have a different name? I wouldnt think so. any info would be great. Thanks

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6643 on: February 10, 2015, 09:48:27 pm »
You like to say we can now remake drone view with programmable (down)button

Yes one button operation adds convenience, I find it useful to be able to switch fast between two palettes for example, without going to the Palettes menu. A shortcut for zoom switching may also be convenient for things like home inspection.
I guess none of Ex and may be Exx have this combination of features.

Offline murcielago

• Contributor
« Reply #6644 on: February 11, 2015, 02:14:27 am »

We soon will need a custom user manual for  2.3.0, this thing is blowing out of proportion
  8)

how can I get this upgrade?

Offline murcielago

• Contributor
« Reply #6645 on: February 11, 2015, 02:18:11 am »

Thanks but will I encounter any problems if I manually upgrade the menu options even though the e4 has been upgraded to e8 or after 1 step upgrade??

anyone...??

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6646 on: February 11, 2015, 07:05:54 am »
how can I get this upgrade?
Stay tuned

Offline sofisticated

• Contributor
« Reply #6647 on: February 11, 2015, 09:22:57 am »
I finally brought my E4 2.3 back to life  :phew:. The console and debug serial ports are kind of working in 2.3 but they are ciphered. I had to write a small app to decode (Rx) and encode (Tx) while  communicating with the camera. Once I got that working, it was just a matter of using  the bootloader configuration menu to enable RNDIS and  set the IP address before downloading and flashing an official 2.3 NK.bin (using Visual studio 2005/windows platform builder to send the file to the camera).

Great to hear that you have a successful recovery of a dead e4.
Cheers

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6648 on: February 11, 2015, 02:16:26 pm »

:-+ That's awesome! Please expand on the details of this when you have the time as it could be very helpful digging deeper into these units in the future.

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6649 on: February 11, 2015, 03:46:08 pm »
With this kind of sucess we can do more experiments and I release this 2.3.0 menu 2014 advanced update for E4.
This is for users who have already new menu or for all who like to make a custom conf. I have included readme's
and all hints are in guide. You can use this update in other cameras with custom conf.
New menu adds user defined presets what you can configure and save. They replace factory predefined presets.
Furthermore you can in settings adjust more measurement parameters and MSX focus distance with smaller
increments. Saved images can you edit with advanced measurement tools and change all parameters before
saving it again. I'm sure you find new recording mode for time lapse and palettes are in two groups so you can
jump up and down in their rows.
There is not clear thermal screen without graphics any more but  this can be done with programmable button
in the future. Now this screen is needed for preset making.
This menu is tested and working fine at least in one 1.22 to 2.3.0 upgraded E4 now, like my previous menu did.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf