Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3770250 times)

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7175 on: June 30, 2015, 07:05:04 am »
Hi
Is anyone working on a software upgrade to version 1.19.8 up to 2.3.0 and using HACK?
All I know is (based on personal experience):
1. Updating is possible, increased resolution is maintained. However, they do not operate certain features, symptoms:
 - The camera (up) runs longer
 - Do not operate (free) extended menu (the meniu settings)
 - When you turn on the camera (full restart), it takes about 2 minutes to be able to read and write images to internal memory
 - Does not work manually change the scope of termperature.

The problem (probably) is associated with a file conf.cfc and conf.cfg
 In older cameras is located file conf.cfg
 In the new cameras is conf.cfc file?
 I did not get so far no information on the matter.
 I would ask that someone presented a sample file conf.cfc (structure)

Feel free to common solve the problem

Offline Gasburner

• Contributor
« Reply #7176 on: July 01, 2015, 09:38:54 pm »
Hello Guys,

I got a question, with a new E40 is it possible to downgrade to a older firmware version
Is there hack to be expected for the newer Firmware versions, i mean are people active with trying ?

Model: E40 1.0
Serial 645xxxxx
Software: 3.18.0

Thanks for the help

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7177 on: July 01, 2015, 09:41:57 pm »
I wasn't aware the new E40s had updated firmware - have you tried the usual means to get into the cfg file?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Offline Gasburner

• Contributor
« Reply #7178 on: July 01, 2015, 09:47:06 pm »
Not yet Chanc3, just wanted some feedback before trying. And get familiar with the problems i can maybe encounter

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7179 on: July 01, 2015, 09:49:08 pm »
I'm very familiar with the older E60 (2012 model) and the 2014 model, so if you need any config files let me know. They are pretty straightforward to modify.

Offline Gasburner

• Contributor
« Reply #7180 on: July 01, 2015, 10:01:36 pm »
Thanks, that would be of great help  :-+. How can you distinguish the model year ? have no clue to be honest.
Is there a guide here somewhere within a post for the Exx models, would like to know bit more from them.
I saw a lot off posts on the Ex but couldn't find to much on its big brothers.

Offline Gasburner

• Contributor
« Reply #7181 on: July 01, 2015, 10:05:53 pm »
I have bought it from Amazon USA, and it arrived today in Mexico after a long travel. Have no clue if they delivery out of their own stock and can be older types, or maybe they come directly from Flir.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7182 on: July 01, 2015, 10:11:49 pm »
Obvious difference is that the newer models have MSX (older ones have different hardware, which isn't capable).

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7183 on: July 05, 2015, 08:31:25 pm »
Is there a guide here somewhere within a post for the Exx models, would like to know bit more from them.

see topic 19 of my post
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg342072/#msg342072

and this thread
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e40-upgrade-configuration/

Offline acarleton2000

« Reply #7184 on: July 06, 2015, 04:32:24 am »
Hey I'm looking to upgrade or downgrade at first to the E4 model from an i5 model Flir. I have owned the i5 for a while and wanted to upgrade it to the i7 specs but try as I may I can't get it to work. Always ends up going down in resolution. Not exactly sure what's wrong but I figured if the hack for the E4 works then that is the way to go.  So my concern is that I am going to run into the same problems with this upgrade?!  wish I had time to read all of the pages to see the answer that is probable on page 145 but.....  Really just looking for some information from the pros who have done this before and had great success!  And someone to tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong with the i5 before I get rid of it!  Still going to upgrade tho :-+ Tooooo many better features with the newer cams!!

Thank you all!

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7185 on: July 06, 2015, 10:46:05 am »
I have owned the i5 for a while and wanted to upgrade it to the i7 specs but try as I may I can't get it to work. Always ends up going down in resolution. Not exactly sure what's wrong

do you know my post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg407320/#msg407320
with this nice step-by-step guide
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/?action=dlattach;attach=85490

and
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg326229/#msg326229
??

don't forget:
Code: [Select]
max 120x120 pixels for the 1.Gen.  Flir iX
max 140x140 pixels for the 2. Gen. Flir iX

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7186 on: July 06, 2015, 11:28:46 am »
I have owned the i5 for a while and wanted to upgrade it to the i7 specs but try as I may I can't get it to work. Always ends up going down in resolution. Not exactly sure what's wrong

do you know my post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg407320/#msg407320
with this nice step-by-step guide
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/?action=dlattach;attach=85490

and
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg326229/#msg326229
??

don't forget:
Code: [Select]
max 120x120 pixels for the 1.Gen.  Flir iX
max 140x140 pixels for the 2. Gen. Flir iX

It's probably that or you're not putting a LB as opposed to a CR

Offline Gasburner

• Contributor
« Reply #7187 on: July 07, 2015, 03:58:18 pm »
Thanks a lot Thomas 123, i hope i can be off help with making some guides.

see topic 19 of my post
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg342072/#msg342072

and this thread
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e40-upgrade-configuration/

Offline acarleton2000

« Reply #7188 on: July 08, 2015, 03:43:21 am »
Tomas123- Hey thanks for the reply!!  I have followed that step by step 4 different times and every time I end up with the same result, it backs down to what looks like an "i1" ha  :-DD So Im not sure what is wrong with my process but I have made sure to follow it to a T! My Camera is the all black version, I am assuming it's the 2nd gen cam although I can't find information telling me one way or another.  I ended up forcing the update to the latest firmware version which it already had to insure that I had it back to factory specs and code. I just wasn't 100% sure I had it back to an i5.  Would be pretty sad if I bricked my 1400$ camera!

Chance3- Im not sure what you are referring to with "not putting a LB as opposed to a CR" but I will look through the file system to see if I can find a reference to that.

Thanks again for your help!  Really is fun to change these cameras into a higher model haha!  Thanks FLIR ;)

Offline acarleton2000

« Reply #7189 on: July 08, 2015, 03:58:53 am »
Also forgot to mention I don't get the change in the menu either. No measurements section?!?! Does anyone have the i7 file system they could post in a zip?  I'm aware I would have to calculate the checksum for my serial #.  Or is this my mistake? Going through the Step-By-Step everything works as described in the PDF for me so.....? ? ?

Thanks again for the help everyone!  I'm dead in the water without your help!!!

And a special thanks to those responsible for creating the guides to follow! Nice and easy when you can go step by step. 

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7190 on: July 08, 2015, 06:46:30 am »
Tomas123- Hey thanks for the reply!!  I have followed that step by step 4 different times and every time I end up with the same result, it backs down to what looks like an "i1" ha  :-DD So Im not sure what is wrong with my process but I have made sure to follow it to a T! My Camera is the all black version, I am assuming it's the 2nd gen cam although I can't find information telling me one way or another.  I ended up forcing the update to the latest firmware version which it already had to insure that I had it back to factory specs and code. I just wasn't 100% sure I had it back to an i5.  Would be pretty sad if I bricked my 1400$ camera!

Chance3- Im not sure what you are referring to with "not putting a LB as opposed to a CR" but I will look through the file system to see if I can find a reference to that.

Thanks again for your help!  Really is fun to change these cameras into a higher model haha!  Thanks FLIR ;)
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Rather than pressing Enter at the end of the serial number, you need to press Shift+Enter to then put CRC in.

Offline murcielago

• Contributor
« Reply #7191 on: July 08, 2015, 07:08:06 am »
is there anyway of removing the battery charging symbol ? even though it remains on the screen for just a few seconds, it is starting to burn into the screen itself.  I am starting to see a very faint imprint of the battery logo when the e4 is used.

Offline acarleton2000

« Reply #7192 on: July 08, 2015, 12:17:33 pm »

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Rather than pressing Enter at the end of the serial number, you need to press Shift+Enter to then put CRC in.

Chanc3- Thank you I will give that a shot this morning!!

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7193 on: July 08, 2015, 04:46:39 pm »
is there anyway of removing the battery charging symbol ? even though it remains on the screen for just a few seconds, it is starting to burn into the screen itself.  I am starting to see a very faint imprint of the battery logo when the e4 is used.

It's been covered.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.eevblog.com%2Fforum%2Ftestgear%2Fflir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown+battery+symbol

Offline acarleton2000

« Reply #7194 on: July 08, 2015, 05:22:02 pm »
Just a quick update this morning,

I went through the process once again and tried the method that Chanc3 suggested with the same negative results.  The only thing I can think of is perhaps the date changer is not working correctly because I put in the time and date and it tells me that it completed the change but the date that shows up on the file is one day earlier and when copied to the  camera it has today's date???  Also, is there supposed to be an extra line at the end of the code string in the config file? I'm referring to a blank line at the end below the checksum? In addition to these two , my third question is when I copy the config.cfg text out of the PDF it has a separation 3 or 4 lines before the end and a "7" in that space.  I compared the two from the PDF and the copied text in notepad++ and felt it should not be there. 

These three are the only things I can figure I am doing wrong?

All help is appreciated. I can start a new topic with all of this information if that would be more appropriate?! Kinda feel Im hijacking the "E4" topic.

Thanks again for the help all!!!

Offline murcielago

• Contributor
« Reply #7195 on: July 09, 2015, 01:47:02 am »

It's been covered.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.eevblog.com%2Fforum%2Ftestgear%2Fflir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown+battery+symbol

I've searched for it but no results. so thanks for being a dick.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7196 on: July 09, 2015, 04:48:19 am »
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7197 on: July 17, 2015, 05:34:54 pm »
tomas123 - I can't remember if I ever asked you about it before, but have you ever though about adding an option to your FLIR.PHP script to scale the scale to fit different sized images better? (different sized pano's vs regular images)

Are you still using/update it? (I still prefer it over FLIR Tools or BFIC since you can get such nice loss-less output and its remarkably error tolerant!)

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7198 on: July 17, 2015, 09:52:11 pm »
 :palm:
Sorry, but I make the post procession after panorama stitching with Flir Tools.
It's a good tool and works great with gigapixel flir images  :)

My flir.php is only a proof of concept for exiftool and imagemagick (reverse engineering).
You can simple modify the source code.

Flir Tools uses a non linear scale depending from histogram. This gives the best colors.
annoying is the permanent overlaid scale and the missing offset correction für MSX

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7199 on: July 17, 2015, 11:51:42 pm »
@Thomas

You are saying, it is possible to stitch multiple images with FlirTools (not FlirTools +) to form a Panorama? How?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf