Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3791174 times)

Offline Discombobulated Dave

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7450 on: December 02, 2015, 07:25:26 pm »
What's the general consensus?

I have an E4 with 2.8.0 firmware. I bought it so that I could mod it to give the increased resolution.

Do I return it, or wait for a hack?

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7451 on: December 02, 2015, 08:01:47 pm »
What's the general consensus?

I have an E4 with 2.8.0 firmware. I bought it so that I could mod it to give the increased resolution.

Do I return it, or wait for a hack?

Did you try the 2.3.0 hack(make sure you back everything up)? What is the calibration date? Any different features?

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7452 on: December 02, 2015, 09:34:21 pm »
Really 2.8.0 or is this just a typo for 2.3.0?

• Contributor
« Reply #7453 on: December 02, 2015, 10:05:04 pm »
I have a camera here with v 2.8.0 firmware!

someone else posted that they had one as well a week ago.

I have just tried to apply the Python script for 2.3.0 and got an error message in cmd.exe

will take a screenshot and try to upload it.

DaveWB,

looking at the menus available to me this camera seems pretty basic. there don't seem, or I haven't found them yet, any advanced options like dew point detection or choices to change the on screen display info.

• Contributor
« Reply #7454 on: December 02, 2015, 10:09:02 pm »
this is what happened when I tried the 2.3.0 update with 2.8.0 firmware

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7455 on: December 02, 2015, 10:16:53 pm »
Dave - I don't know how you made that screenshot - but I can read anything of use from it.

• Contributor
« Reply #7456 on: December 02, 2015, 10:27:57 pm »
neither di I.lol

try this one

calibration certificate says 23rd November 15

• Contributor
« Reply #7457 on: December 02, 2015, 10:30:13 pm »
lol. nightmare. try this one

• Contributor
« Reply #7458 on: December 02, 2015, 10:33:02 pm »
now you see where I get my name. its not you its me!

try this one

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7459 on: December 03, 2015, 03:09:30 am »
now you see where I get my name. its not you its me!

try this one

I never used any auto patcher for mine since I started on  1.18.7 so I am not quite sure how it works - but the error kinda looks like you ran it once, it didn't work do it's in a dirty state, so you ran it again and now it's giving you an error that it tried and failed before and you need to clean it up before trying again to get the real error.

Some one who has actually used that before may be of more help at this point.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7460 on: December 03, 2015, 03:00:19 pm »
my two cents:
I don't understand why "all" Ex owners need the overloaded extented menus with PiP, alarms etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_creep ?

• Contributor
« Reply #7461 on: December 03, 2015, 05:06:00 pm »
Hi Tomas!

I'm not interested in any menu hacks! I just want to get my E4 working at its native resolution. Hopefully someone will be able to help me.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7462 on: December 03, 2015, 05:39:21 pm »
Something to keep in mind - we don't know if there has been a hardware update to go with this new 2.8.0 firmware.

I do remember seeing a lepton fpga bin with the 2.3.0 firmware package. If they re-spun the hardware on the E4 - it could already be at it's max at 80x60.

More details really should be know about these new 2.8.0 units before any attempt at modding them is made.

We should see a file system backup, perhaps a macro picture of the lens area, and more details from the device info screen.

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7463 on: December 03, 2015, 07:03:27 pm »
Hi
In the last few days I learned to make a FTP to a device with Filezilla and / or CMD and use CMD on files :)
I have back-up all files in my E4, CMD can read the E4 files, and Python is also recognized by Windows, so far so good.

In the step by step instruction (see image) I read;
"If all that works, type "quit" to exit and close ftp connection"
and a few lines further:
"it will read two files from your cam and stores them in a backup folder"
Question: how can Python read files from the camera if the ftp connection is closed?

And also:
" you will find newly created conf.cfc and common_dll.dll in that folder and upload them back to the camera"
"In case you get an error 500 at the upload, you have to upload the files manually by FTP"
thus in both cases I must manually upload the files?

Garrett
If all your files are in the same folder all you have to do is open cmd, switch directories to that folder (ex. "cd C:/Python27"), then in cmd write
"python apply.py apply 192.168.0.2"

first word is python for the app
second is to run the apply.py "program"
apply is to tell it to run the apply command
192.168.0.2 is the ip of your cam(you can check this by typing ipconfig into cmd) sometimes it is 192.168.1.2 for people or something similar

after that it should automatically upload the files to the camera, if it fails go into FileZilla and upload them manually(i've never seen anyone have to do this)

Then take the .cfc file in the camera(MAKE SURE YOU "REFRESH" THE DIRECTORY IN FILEZILLA TO UPDATE TO THE NEW CFC FILE) and drop it in the python27 folder where all your files are and click/run the menu_conf.py, then take the new conf.cfc file it created and upload it to the camera. after this you just go into flirinstallnet and run the 2.3.0 menu.fif file and wa la you have a fully modified cam.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7464 on: December 04, 2015, 08:47:18 am »
I have a camera here with v 2.8.0 firmware!

someone else posted that they had one as well a week ago.

I have just tried to apply the Python script for 2.3.0 and got an error message in cmd.exe
Be happy that you only got an error message and not a ... in germay we say ... paperweight  ;)

don't forget the history of resolution hacks:
The first generation of Ex used only a uncrypted config file with a simple crc checksum
The second generation used a crypted config file
The third generation adds a hard coded resolution entry inside the ROM or FPGA because "we" hacked the common_dll.dll

You can ugrade the first generation of E4 with uncrypted (!) config files to FW 2.3 (simple use Flir Tools) without loosing the resolution hack. Therefore also the second generation has a hard cooded ROM/FPGA resolution entry.

If I don't know what I do, I would never run a third generation common_dll.dll patch script over FW 2.8.0 !!!!

The next steps are looking inside all logs (like ppr.log and prod.log) and then get a full list off the registry with
> rls -r -l
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:50:53 am by tomas123 »

Offline tmbinc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7465 on: December 04, 2015, 10:20:36 am »
If someone can point me to a software update to 2.8.0 (or just scraped from the device), I'd be happy to take a look.

• Contributor
« Reply #7466 on: December 04, 2015, 11:55:30 am »
Cheers guys.

Tmbinc,

Let me know exactly what you want, in an ideal work, and i will set it up/ download it ect ect.

I already backed up the camera when I connected to it with Filezilla.

Fyi. The passwords for 2.3.0 seemed to work with Filezilla, however I couldn't get the passwords to work when accessing the cameras IP address through a browser.

Offline lwi004

• Contributor
« Reply #7467 on: December 04, 2015, 12:33:19 pm »
Is there a way to create a palette and define the actual temperature range in it as well? Eg anything below 25C is always blue , going through a colour range and then everything above 125C is always black for example?

As i cannot seem to find a way of locking the manual scale range after a restart etc, I'm wondering if I can do the same thing by defining a pallet which only covers the range I'm interested in and doesn't shift depending on the min and max.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:22:37 pm by lwi004 »

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7468 on: December 04, 2015, 01:13:42 pm »
Is there a way to create a pallette and define the actual temperature range in it as well? Eg anything below 25C is always blue , going through a colour range and then everythimng about 125C is always black for example?

As i cannot seem to find a way of locking the manual scale range after a restart etc, I'm wondering if I can do the same thing by defining a pallet which only covers the range I'm interested in and doesn't shift depending on the min and max.

Thanks

https://www.iredltd.co.uk/palettes/ change the underflow and overflow

Offline lwi004

• Contributor
« Reply #7469 on: December 04, 2015, 02:09:17 pm »
Thanks Chanc3

I may be being a bit dim today (or one of my senior moments). But how do I define a Fixed TEMP as the underflow and overflow points?

To me it seems, it will still use the range which is being decided  on by the camera, as opposed to me having fixed the range in the actual palette.

At a guess I don't understand what all the parameters are doing!!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 02:21:53 pm by lwi004 »

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7470 on: December 04, 2015, 02:33:45 pm »
Thanks Chanc3

I may be being a bit dim today (or one of my senior moments). But how do I define a Fixed TEMP as the underflow and overflow points?

To me it seems, it will still use the range which is being decided  on by the camera, as opposed to me having fixed the range in the actual palette.

At a guess I don't understand what all the parameters are doing!!

You need to look at it this way:

Range - The minimum to maximum temperatures the camera can detect (in most cases it's -30°C to 160°C)
Level - What the user has set the camera to, e.g. 10-25°C
Span - is the difference, so with the example above, it is 15°C

You won't be able to change the range to anything other than the preset ranges, most cameras have two, some 1, few have 3.

Offline lwi004

• Contributor
« Reply #7471 on: December 04, 2015, 02:55:05 pm »
Thanks for the clarification. Is it therefore possible to fix the level in the palette?

As mentioned I would like to store a set level in the camera of +25 to +125 for electronics testing but every time I switch the camera off, I need to go back and maually set it again.

Thanks in advance

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7472 on: December 04, 2015, 04:28:32 pm »
Thanks for the clarification. Is it therefore possible to fix the level in the palette?

As mentioned I would like to store a set level in the camera of +25 to +125 for electronics testing but every time I switch the camera off, I need to go back and maually set it again.

Thanks in advance

I don't think .PAL files actually contain any temp data or set values like that in them.

The palette is dynamic and will always change depending on what your looking at unless you lock the temperature scale into a manual mode.

Unfortunately FLIR decided to clear manual mode when you suspend or power off Ex cameras. (likely to aid in usability for simpler users - "ahhh I messed something up" - rebooted/fixed)

This seems to me like a coded function so it does not look like there is a way to stop it via config files. (Some one else should check - I didn't look hard)

However there is software that I have seen on this form that looks like it could quickly set the values if you have your E4 connected to a PC. (most things can be controlled via telnet if you do your homework)

Offline lwi004

• Contributor
« Reply #7473 on: December 04, 2015, 08:58:43 pm »
Hi Orby,

Do you mean that by using telnet I can permanently change the level or just that I can do it manually everytime but a bit quicker. AS the unit is moved round the wor karea, keeping it tied to a PC is a no-go.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7474 on: December 04, 2015, 09:20:40 pm »
Hi Orby,

Do you mean that by using telnet I can permanently change the level or just that I can do it manually everytime but a bit quicker. AS the unit is moved round the wor karea, keeping it tied to a PC is a no-go.

Not perm - just quicker manually.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf