Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3798775 times)

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7525 on: December 16, 2015, 10:52:03 pm »
And what is your camera hardware version?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline anonyman

« Reply #7526 on: December 16, 2015, 10:52:50 pm »
I received my E4 camera today. Software V 2.8.0.

Model E63900 T198547

Here is the thing, it has pixels, like around 8 at the very bottom and 4 at the top. They are only visible when the camera is in 'Device Settings' and only when you scroll up and down.  Does anyone else have these or should I ask for a replacement.

Thanks

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7527 on: December 17, 2015, 01:27:22 am »
So the hardware version has not changed.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline stefbeer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7528 on: December 17, 2015, 08:41:03 am »
@ anonyman:
Which color do these pixels have? I have the first version of the E4 with a pretty old firmware but I sometimes see "stuck pixels" too. But they aren't stuck, it's just a software error. On closer look you can see that these pixels are just "transparent" which means you can see just one or more pixels of the thermal image, even if you have settings opened. It sometimes happens also if you look at saved images on the device. Move the camera a bit around (from hot to cold, so the thermal image changes color) and see if the color of the pixel changes, then it's most certainly one of these transparent pixels in the menu overlay. Try rebooting your camera or remove the battery for a few seconds and try again.

Hope this helps  :)

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #7529 on: December 17, 2015, 10:05:11 am »
I received my E4 camera today. Software V 2.8.0.

Model E63900 T198547

Here is the thing, it has pixels, like around 8 at the very bottom and 4 at the top. They are only visible when the camera is in 'Device Settings' and only when you scroll up and down.  Does anyone else have these or should I ask for a replacement.

Thanks

It is normal. They do it all the cameras.

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #7530 on: December 17, 2015, 10:16:16 am »
I think that might be a problem with the system downgrade to win 7 or higher.
I'm in win7 unstable connection to the camera. Win XP without problems.

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7531 on: December 17, 2015, 10:40:56 am »
>didn't use flir tools used the guides above and followed the directions exactly. Computer was old windows xp.

But in the guides above it is exactly about how to use FlirTools for updating! Or you mean some other 'guides above', pls. specify.

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #7532 on: December 17, 2015, 12:44:06 pm »
>didn't use flir tools used the guides above and followed the directions exactly. Computer was old windows xp.

But in the guides above it is exactly about how to use FlirTools for updating! Or you mean some other 'guides above', pls. specify.

Also, I'm not clear what he meant. Use instructions "txt" which is enclosed in the package at
"2.3.0 update." ???

Offline anonyman

« Reply #7533 on: December 17, 2015, 01:11:35 pm »
@ anonyman:
Which color do these pixels have? I have the first version of the E4 with a pretty old firmware but I sometimes see "stuck pixels" too. But they aren't stuck, it's just a software error. On closer look you can see that these pixels are just "transparent" which means you can see just one or more pixels of the thermal image, even if you have settings opened. It sometimes happens also if you look at saved images on the device. Move the camera a bit around (from hot to cold, so the thermal image changes color) and see if the color of the pixel changes, then it's most certainly one of these transparent pixels in the menu overlay. Try rebooting your camera or remove the battery for a few seconds and try again.

Thanks Stefbeer,

The pixels are whitish, like stuck pixels. Are more visible in the medium intensity, also they change saturation when I open and close the camera shutter. Only visible in 'Device Settings' because the background & foreground color is just right. They are not visible in any image.

I will take the battery out for a few minutes today and see what that does.

And if no luck, I  will try to upload a pic tomorrow, that is if my digital camera will even catch the pixels.

Offline Navynuke

• Contributor
« Reply #7534 on: December 17, 2015, 01:39:16 pm »
:-+ I just unboxed a new e4 that was bought as a Christmas present when I looked & realized that a 2.8.0 firmware was afoot. Panic set in and then I went back and read backwards from the end of this topic (as I have followed since the beginning) so that I could see where I had missed the new firmware since ordering the camera. I used the download link from for the downgrade to 2.3.0 from
Here is the link to his download: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00983732806372988148

I used the guide from
http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/

I downloaded everything the web page described and performed the procedures in the exact sequence and manner described and in less than 1/2 hour (most of which was spent swearing at old laptop while trying to remember DOS commands and finally Googling them in frustration) & it all worked like a charm!

The camera hardware version 1.2L, Camera software version 2.8.0,  My computer was dell laptop using windows xp service pack 3, Flir Tools version 4.0.1 but when i read the txt file (included in the download from Matmoe that looks to be from Flir) it describes how to manually choose the firmware file to install so I don't think it really matters.

I really have spent more time trying to iron out questions than i did enhancing the camera. If you follow the links/guides from the original authors quoted above it is really simple.  Best of luck to you all. ;D

I went back in and edited the post hopefully this answers questions
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:51:53 pm by Navynuke »

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7535 on: December 17, 2015, 02:34:39 pm »
@ anonyman:

Seems to be a small bug in all firmware versions, no real consequences just a little silly looking.

Thanks Stefbeer,

The pixels are whitish, like stuck pixels. Are more visible in the medium intensity, also they change saturation when I open and close the camera shutter. Only visible in 'Device Settings' because the background & foreground color is just right. They are not visible in any image.

I will take the battery out for a few minutes today and see what that does.

And if no luck, I  will try to upload a pic tomorrow, that is if my digital camera will even catch the pixels.

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7536 on: December 17, 2015, 02:53:12 pm »
2 Navynuke:

So, after you updated your post, it is not that confusing, just to summarize:

- you used FlirTools old version (which exactly?) on Windows XP (which exactly SP?)
- you proceeded as described in the *.pdf found in the upgrade archive folder attached (2.3.0) step by step
- when succeed, you applied standard Fubar procedure to unlock your camera and it worked

This means, you effectively used FlirTools, but in some other way than 'upgrade camera' usual way.

Please confirm every line of this list above and provide the detailed info because people here might follow and get their cameras bricked (2 "bricked" reports so far against 2 "success" reports makes 50% chances for success!)

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7537 on: December 18, 2015, 07:31:23 am »
Currently it is not possible to downgrade the firmware 2.8.0 to 2.3.0.
Just because someone writes that he did - I was writing nonsense (cheating?)
If someone on success which will showcase images.
But so you see number serial with the revised firmware.
! I do not advise to experiment !
It will end certainly damage the software and the camera itself.

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #7538 on: December 18, 2015, 11:58:46 am »
Currently it is not possible to downgrade the firmware 2.8.0 to 2.3.0.
Just because someone writes that he did - I was writing nonsense (cheating?)
If someone on success which will showcase images.
But so you see number serial with the revised firmware.
! I do not advise to experiment !
It will end certainly damage the software and the camera itself.

How do you know that it is not possible to downgrade ??? You're perhaps trying ??? How did you come?

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7539 on: December 18, 2015, 12:08:25 pm »

Take your camera firmware 2.8.0 and try, or upgrade FV to 2.8.0 firmware itself ...
And there is no evidence that this is possible (and it is not possible!)

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7540 on: December 18, 2015, 04:20:18 pm »
Not that I am doubting anything anyone has written here but so far not a single person that claims to have 2.8.0 downgraded or otherwise has show a screen shot, uploaded a backup, or put any video of it on youtube or the like. But many have requested hacks or help with their units - how is that going to be possible if no one wants to provide the tools needed to even begin to look into it?

I know I am not going to go out and buy a new unit just to get 2.8.0 firmware - I have a working 2.3.0 unit.

Offline Navynuke

• Contributor
« Reply #7541 on: December 18, 2015, 04:56:42 pm »
Been there done that!

I quoted the original post by matmoe

Use flir tools pick manual firmware package (link from his post) and let it do the rest. Takes very little time and loads 2.3.0 quite effortlessly.

The tools to do this are already on the forum. READ the posts before naysaying.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:59:38 pm by Navynuke »

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7542 on: December 18, 2015, 05:15:59 pm »
So, again, I repeat.
Upgrading from version 2.8.0 is not possible to version 2.3.0 and certainly using the update tool from FLIR.

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7543 on: December 18, 2015, 06:00:54 pm »
 :wtf: ;D

"one of us is crying, one of us is lying..."

Who is who that is the question! Consider well before applying any upgrades: if you are mistaken, you either miss an opportunity, or loose the device!

(shit shit shit)

Offline matmoe

• Contributor
« Reply #7544 on: December 18, 2015, 06:06:29 pm »
The downgrade from 2.8.0. to 2.3.0 worked! I have a Flir E6 wich was delivered with 2.8.0, and now i've got the version 2.3.0 with resolution and menu hack running. The only evidence i can bring, are those images of my FlirStuff Folder. I did the downgrade like it was described in the dokcument "Manuel ipdating FLIR Ex series cameras" shown in the attachments .

BUT as i already said. Its up to you! Maybe its working and maybe you will brick your device. I don't know why it maybe doesn't work on some devices....

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7545 on: December 18, 2015, 06:19:09 pm »
WTF ?
Please two photos:
The first picture where number firmware 2.8.0 and SN xxxxxxx
and the second picture where number firmware 2.3.0 and SN xxxxxxx

SN XXXXXX (firest picture) = SN XXXXXXX (second picture)
OK ?

Offline matmoe

• Contributor
« Reply #7546 on: December 18, 2015, 06:21:12 pm »
Here screenshots of my camera

Offline matmoe

• Contributor
« Reply #7547 on: December 18, 2015, 06:23:41 pm »
Please two photos:
The first picture where number firmware 2.8.0 and SN xxxxxxx

This is not possible, because i did no photos when i was on 2.8.0. I'm sorry, but at this point you have to trust  :-//

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7548 on: December 18, 2015, 06:24:05 pm »
It has to be visible number !!!
And it has to be seen yet this number to version 2.8.0
This picture proves nothing, sorry

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7549 on: December 18, 2015, 06:25:46 pm »
In that case, this can be considered untrue