Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769173 times)

Offline dazler

• Contributor
E4
« Reply #7650 on: February 01, 2016, 09:49:00 pm »
How does the hacked e4 compare to the therm-app as far as reading temp of walls, ceiling and to see the studs.
As in the video of mjlorton it was easy to see the studs and hand heat signature with the therm-app but not so much with the regular not hacked e4.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7651 on: February 02, 2016, 01:55:53 am »
Not the same environment but if you look in the Therm-App thread you'll find the TA has better sensitivity at detecting smaller temperature difference than the E4/8, mainly due to the lens on the E4/8 being terrible.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7652 on: February 02, 2016, 03:27:23 am »
You can see the studs with the doctored E4.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline -jeffB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7653 on: February 02, 2016, 02:23:53 pm »
Handprints are easy with the hacked E4, too. This is from two seconds of contact on a heavy hardwood table top. (Fingers were cold, as you can see from the shot of my hand.  :D )

Offline böjebba

« Reply #7654 on: February 02, 2016, 09:21:23 pm »
I just want to say thanks to everyone that have made it possible to make a useable thermal camera from the Flir E4. Without the possibility to increase the resolution, I had not even considered to buy a Flir.
I bought the Flir E4 in January that came with Firmware 2.8. Followed the instructions and the links in the first post to downgrade to 2.3 and install the hack and the extra tools.
Used Virtualbox with Win 7 32 bit all way.
My only issue was the USB-ports in Virtualbox.  It worked a lot better with the Virtualbox extension pack  :P

Once again, THANKS!

Offline targit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7655 on: February 03, 2016, 07:54:51 am »
Hi, I have a FLiR E30 which I imported from a U.S. Supplier and its the full 30 fps version.
I would like to know if anyone else has done the E30 to E60 "conversion" on a 30 fps unit without it being then restricted to 9 fps. I can't find an explicit reference to fps in the config files ( I could have missed it ).
I don't know if the frame rate is hardware or software limited, but I would assume (don't like doing that) if it is a security requirement that it would be set by the hardware. Does anyone know this for sure?

Thanks

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7656 on: February 03, 2016, 08:10:29 am »
I have fiddled about with both the older and newer generation E60s, both 30Hz models and have not reduced it at all. As long as you have a backup, you should be fine.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Offline targit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7657 on: February 03, 2016, 08:28:44 am »
Thanks for that!
I'll give it a go with a bit more confidence now  :)
And thanks to the all guys who worked this out in the first place.

Offline targit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7658 on: February 03, 2016, 11:05:48 am »
Hi, upgrade done and all working, even seem to have the wifi module and lamp ( can just see the lamp through the plastic cover + have connected to my phone over wi-fi ) I am thinking there is probably a camera under there too, if anyone has managed to remove that cover, could they share how they got it out, I could not find a teardown on the E30 - E60 series, and I think I would have to bugger up the bottom rubber on the handle to remove the screen/keypad/battery cover part ( last 2 screws are under a glued on section of rubber ) which I may do if its absolutely necessary to get the visible camera cover off.
Thanks again :)

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7659 on: February 03, 2016, 11:13:01 am »
Could you confirm what firmware and model number the e30 is? I think the cover around the digital camera and lamp is just glued on...

Offline targit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7660 on: February 03, 2016, 11:31:37 am »
Hi, Part number is 49001-1601 model is E30 0.10 "software" (firmware I think) version is 2.23.14
Thanks

Offline dazler

• Contributor
« Reply #7661 on: February 03, 2016, 06:57:22 pm »
thank for the photos, it does look way better than the regular e4.

this is the video I was talking about

at around min 26 you can see the therm-app finding stud on the wall
at 28:30 the flir e4
at 30:00 the handprint.

I wonder how would a hacked e4 performed in that same scenario.

As the e4 goes for around 1k and the therm-app for 1.6k I might not need that much detail.
but don't know if I will later regret not spending that extra $ and get the therm-app.

Offline man_of_stars

« Reply #7662 on: February 03, 2016, 08:22:09 pm »
From what I can see, enhanced E4 outperforms the therm-app significantly!

Offline targit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7663 on: February 04, 2016, 06:07:51 am »
Hi, just spent a few hours stripping the whole camera down in order to find out how that lens was held in, and you are right, it's just bloody glued on |O
I had convinced myself there was a screw holding it in place, and didn't want to trash the cover by snapping it, so I dismantled the whole thing ( have lots of photos if anyone else wants to see whats inside ) to discover there were no screws under the camera/LED/WiFi boards. So with glue being the only possibility, I pried the cover off with a jewelers screwdriver and that was all I needed to do in the first place ( just like Chanc3 said ). :palm:

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7664 on: February 04, 2016, 07:49:19 am »
Sorry! I should have checked ours, but both of them were out of the office on jobs. Glad you worked it out though. Will make future repairs nice and easy Haha

Offline targit

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7665 on: February 05, 2016, 03:45:46 am »
Hi, No worries Chanc3, it was an interesting way to kill a few hours anyway  :-/O
If anyone else is doing the E30 upgrade, here are some pics of whats under the cover and one way to make the holes and refit it. after drilling the holes out I filed with a fine needle file and the results look OK without getting  too fussy over the finish inside the holes.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7666 on: February 05, 2016, 07:05:31 am »
This is a sample of a handprint viewed with the doctored E4

26.avi
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7667 on: February 06, 2016, 06:26:05 am »
From what I can see, enhanced E4 outperforms the therm-app significantly!
mjlortons video seems to have a ~3 degree temp delta, whereas the image by Bud has a ~8 degree temp delta.

Same with the handprint, jeffB's image has a 8 degree (celcius) delta whereas mjlortons video shows a 2 degree delta.

Here's a comparison using very small temperature deltas.

Therm-App:

Noise and resolution test

FLIR Hacked E4, Hacked E40, FLIR One (G1):
a sensitivity test
Flir E40 (hacked 320x240), Germanium (?) lens

Flir E4 (hacked 320x240),  Chalcogenide Glass lens

Flir One => Lens FOL 2 (80x60)

As you can see at low temperature deltas the Therm-App does much better than the hacked E4 and is near the hacked E40.

Still not the same target temperatures though (only the same delta), so still not a super accurate comparison.

Please note that I used the Therm-App and the included lens (with f/1.1 aperture), whereas mjlorton used the Therm-App TH and it's included lens (with f/1.4 aperture, much darker).

Offline Bill W

• Super Contributor
    • Fire TICS
« Reply #7668 on: February 06, 2016, 03:39:46 pm »
Those seem to show up that that E4 hack has only sorted out the resolution and not the 'added' noise, while the E40 hack may have also sorted out the noise.
Standard specs for NETD (which are at f/1.0, at the sensor, under sensor test conditions of course, so not like it is used in the camera with an f 1.3 lens !):

E4 = 150mK
E8 = 60mK
E40 = 70mK
E60 = 50mK

Just being a Chalcogenide lens is not the issue, f number could be or it is image 'dishancement'.  Indeed the E4 noise is very blotchy suggesting a low resolution itself which contributes to what is for a 320 a rather horrid image. 

Bill

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7669 on: February 06, 2016, 05:05:47 pm »
As Bill W has stated, the noise generator destroys the E4 performance and that was FLIR's intention for that budget model.

I manually edited my noise generator setting in the configuration file of my FW 1.19.8 E4 camera and the noise was reduced dramatically. I think I set the injected noise to 5mk in the belief that some noise was possibly needed in the image processing stages. IIRC the E60 also has its noise generator set to 5mk when shipped. I have to upgrade my second E4 soon so will try a setting of zero for the noise generator.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7670 on: February 06, 2016, 06:50:20 pm »
5mK on the E60? Can you advise where I can check that figure?

On the E60 I use for work I think the noise is set to 35mK as I can see this line in the conf.cfg file:
.caps.config.image.targetNoise.targetNoiseMk int32 35

It's been my intention to modify that for a while, it's on the long "todo" list. In some respects the stock E60 looks noisier than the modified E4.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7671 on: February 06, 2016, 07:09:27 pm »
Sorry this is way back somewhere in this thread when we were looking at the differences between the low end and high end units. I may even be mistaken, but I know there was much discussion about whether a noise generator was needed for video processing algorithms and it was decided that a low setting of 5mk was appropriate. Others set the noise generator to zero without adverse effect. I have been meaning to do the same.

Fraser

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7672 on: February 06, 2016, 07:27:22 pm »
Ok I just used google to search this thread for 'noise generator' and all the info is there on the topic. I was in error, the E60 does not have its noise generator set to 5. It is 35 as you say. I think we were all a bit surprised that the noise generator was active on the most expensive models, hence the concern about turning it off completely.

Just enter this search string into Google to read more on the topic......

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/  noise generator

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7673 on: February 06, 2016, 11:13:42 pm »
I wonder how high in the range you have to go to get no noise generator... T460? T460sc?

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7674 on: February 06, 2016, 11:15:04 pm »
Indeed the E4 noise is very blotchy suggesting a low resolution itself which contributes to what is for a 320 a rather horrid image. 
IMO what's happening is that the noise is being generated THEN noise reduction is applied to the generated noise. Due to the high amount of noise the noise reduction is working overtime thereby generating the blotchy image.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf