Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3770003 times)

Offline 2lps

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7800 on: May 16, 2016, 09:18:59 pm »
Is the camera booting normally?

While I played with some files, I messed something and was not able to use flir/3vlig.
Fortunately, you can use the anonymous user - do not enter any user name/password. Not sure what permissions it has, but I just checked and you can download/upload files to the file system. I was also able to backup the camera files. I used the anonymous user to correct my mistake and the camera booted normally after that.

I don't see any update of the 2.11 package on Flir's site (last one is from 21 Jan 2016), so flir/3vlig should be working if the camera is booting normally.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:30:03 pm by 2lps »

The following users thanked this post: iG0R

Offline dertoid

« Reply #7801 on: May 16, 2016, 11:20:41 pm »
Hi all and let me apologize in advance for my noobness.
Just recently got into FLIR toys (got bts-xr 100mm and One 2gen).
My friend gave me an 'upgraded' E4 as a gift a week ago.
It's fully functioning as 'E8+' with all the bells and whistles.
The about page reads:
E4 1.2L
Free enhanced menu.
No calibration date displayed.

Now, i understand that there's an 2.11 update (got it from flir site) and a corresponding hack (post 7788).
Questions:
1. What are the benefits of 2.11? Any changelogs public?
2. What is the best course of action to apply 2.11 hack from current camera state (2.3.0 with hack)? If possible in some detail (no, i can work with python etc - my problem is the correct sequence of actions in flir's case); and
3. Do i need the original files that came on the camera 'pre-hack'? Because that can be quite hard or even impossible.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:23:48 pm by dertoid »

Offline iG0R

« Reply #7802 on: May 17, 2016, 05:54:49 am »
What program are you using?

TotalCommander and FileZilla

Is the camera booting normally?

Yes, it is booting normally.

While I played with some files, I messed something and was not able to use flir/3vlig.
Fortunately, you can use the anonymous user - do not enter any user name/password. Not sure what permissions it has, but I just checked and you can download/upload files to the file system. I was also able to backup the camera files. I used the anonymous user to correct my mistake and the camera booted normally after that.

I don't see any update of the 2.11 package on Flir's site (last one is from 21 Jan 2016), so flir/3vlig should be working if the camera is booting normally.

Oh, thank you very much, I'll try it.

Update: Yes, yes! It's working :) Anonymous user is working.
But I can't understand, why it all happened?

PS. Also I tried to use Windows 8.1 64bit and 10 64bit to hack the camera, but there is something wrong with flir_device_drivers, because camera couldn't obtain right IP, always 169.254.x.x. Even if I manual write down IP 192.168.1.2 I can't connect to it.
I've read that some people could access camera in Windows (8.1 and 10) 64bit but I could not understand how they do it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:13:43 am by iG0R »

Offline 2lps

• Contributor
« Reply #7803 on: May 17, 2016, 08:04:17 am »
Questions:
2. What is the best course of action to apply 2.11 hack from current camera state (2.3.0 with hack)? If possible in some detail (no, i can work with python etc - my problem is the correct sequence of actions in flir's case); and
3. Do i need the original files that came on the camera 'pre-hack'? Because that can be quite hard or even impossible.

Take a look at this post from Solaris: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg922176/#msg922176
If I was you, I would just keep 2.3. I am not aware of any benefit of 2.11 vs 2.3 (which doesn't mean there is not any). Also it seems that there are some advanced things, which don't work currently with 2.11 (not sure what are they).

To your questions:
1. I don't think there are public change logs.
2. Ideally, you need the original files and revert the hacks. Upgrade to 2.11. Apply the 2.11 hack.
3. You can do it without the original files and reverting the hacks, but you need to know what you are doing. This is actually how I made the 2.11 hack. There was the so called "ring of crap" when downgrading to 2.3, probably because of the way the calibration is done in 2.11, so I didn't have a choice, but use 2.11

The following users thanked this post: dertoid

Offline 2lps

• Contributor
« Reply #7804 on: May 17, 2016, 08:20:14 am »
Update: Yes, yes! It's working :) Anonymous user is working.
But I can't understand, why it all happened?

I don't know why flir/3vlig is not working. Are you sure you don't add an additional symbol to the user name/password. Using the correct letter case?. You can try with root/3vlig too.

PS. Also I tried to use Windows 8.1 64bit and 10 64bit to hack the camera, but there is something wrong with flir_device_drivers, because camera couldn't obtain right IP, always 169.254.x.x. Even if I manual write down IP 192.168.1.2 I can't connect to it.
I've read that some people could access camera in Windows (8.1 and 10) 64bit but I could not understand how they do it.

I also couldn't do it with Windows 10, so used Windows 7 64 bit.

Switching the camera to RNDIS mode in Windows and then using Ubuntu also works. I think I needed to manually set the IP there.

There is a secret menu Settings --> Device Settings --> Camera Information. Then hold the right navigation button for some seconds. A new screen appears with the following entries:

USB mode >
Export Information
Version Information >
Latest calibration

There are options to change the USB mode there directly from the camera, instead of using FlirInstallNet.exe in Windows, but at the moment nothing happens when you change them. There may be another way to switch it to RNDIS mode and use only Ubuntu, but I am not aware.

Offline 2lps

• Contributor
« Reply #7805 on: May 17, 2016, 09:34:25 am »
Actually, after reading how it was done in Linux (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg417547/#msg417547 and https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg417771/#msg417771) I was able to connect using Windows 10.

You still need to set manually the IP of the interface after switching to RNDIS mode using the Set_RNDIS_temporary.fif. But use 192.168.250.1 for the IP. Then you will be able to connect to the camera using 192.168.250.2

Offline Kai-74

« Reply #7806 on: May 17, 2016, 10:04:26 am »
Hi...

My Name is Kai and i`m from Germany.

I found this Thread while i was interested in an Flir E6.

But with the informations found in this Thread i bought an E4!   :-)

My Camera seemed to be a little bit longer in the sstore, because it came with Firmware 1.22.
Unfortunately i made an update to 2.11.

But the Backup Files from 1.22 are still there.

Now to my Problems wit the 2.11 Hack..

The Hack itself worked without any issues, but the Result was not as expected.

1) The center Cursor was missing and i was not able to restore it by disabling and enabling it.

2) There was a bit of "ring of crap" in the image

3) When taking a picture the camera reported a serious Problem with appcore.exe and it has to be restarted.
This problem persists after every restart.

4) There was a lot of the extended Menu missing.

Do you have some suggestions for what i should do now?

Thank you in Advance!

...and sorry for my english...   :-D

Viele Grüße
Kai

Offline kultakala

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7807 on: May 17, 2016, 10:21:42 am »
Hi Kai,

I am not an expert, just bought an E4 last week and hacked it successfully.
But did you remove the battery for a while before starting the E4 again ?

Greetings,
Olaf

Offline 2lps

• Contributor
« Reply #7808 on: May 17, 2016, 10:23:21 am »
[...]
[...]

Did it work fine after upgrading from 1.22 to 2.11, but before applying the 2.11 hack?

So:
1. The camera came with 1.22 and no hacks.
2. You upgraded to 2.11
3. Then applied the 2.11 hack?

If it worked fine before applying the hack, can I get /FlashBFS/system/common_dll.dll (the one currently on the camera). It is possible that during the upgrade from 1.22 to 2.11 it was not replaced (e.g for compatibility reasons). The 2.11 hack modifies it, but for each version it is different, so the offsets in the hack may not be the same, and the patched code may be completely different. The resolution hack doesn't do anything but change the resolution and noise generator values in conf.cfc and disable the signature checks in common_dll.dll.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 10:29:59 am by 2lps »

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7809 on: May 17, 2016, 11:41:46 am »
Hi everyone!  I have been watching this thread for months now, and finally took the plunge.  I found a used E4 for $450 on Amazon which was too good to pass up.  I'm partially expecting to receive a box of rocks, but if not I look forward to hacking mine!

Thanks to all the hackers who developed these methods!

Offline Kai-74

« Reply #7810 on: May 17, 2016, 11:42:03 am »
Hi kultakala,

Thank you for your Reply... Yes, i removed it every time after changing anything.
I removed the Battery over Night to see if it get better, but no improvement...

Hi 2lps,

The camera was working fine with 1.22, and it was not hacked.

After upgrading to 2.11 the camera worked as expected, before the Hack was applied.
I reverted the Hack, because not being able to take pictures makes no sense.  :-D

I hope you can help me and i will send the common_dll.dll to you when i'm at home.

Thank you!!!

Offline dertoid

« Reply #7811 on: May 17, 2016, 03:36:30 pm »
Questions:

Take a look at this post from Solaris: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg922176/#msg922176
If I was you, I would just keep 2.3. I am not aware of any benefit of 2.11 vs 2.3 (which doesn't mean there is not any). Also it seems that there are some advanced things, which don't work currently with 2.11 (not sure what are they).

To your questions:
1. I don't think there are public change logs.
2. Ideally, you need the original files and revert the hacks. Upgrade to 2.11. Apply the 2.11 hack.
3. You can do it without the original files and reverting the hacks, but you need to know what you are doing. This is actually how I made the 2.11 hack. There was the so called "ring of crap" when downgrading to 2.3, probably because of the way the calibration is done in 2.11, so I didn't have a choice, but use 2.11

Ok, i obtained original files for my camera. Will wait a bit more for people to chime in regarding 2.3/2.11 differences, then perform the update/hack.
Oh, and mega thanks for about 'extended' menu -> resulted in:
25feb16 cal date.

Offline 2lps

• Contributor
« Reply #7812 on: May 17, 2016, 09:07:51 pm »
[...]
[...]

Did it work fine after upgrading from 1.22 to 2.11, but before applying the 2.11 hack?

So:
1. The camera came with 1.22 and no hacks.
2. You upgraded to 2.11
3. Then applied the 2.11 hack?

If it worked fine before applying the hack, can I get /FlashBFS/system/common_dll.dll (the one currently on the camera). It is possible that during the upgrade from 1.22 to 2.11 it was not replaced (e.g for compatibility reasons). The 2.11 hack modifies it, but for each version it is different, so the offsets in the hack may not be the same, and the patched code may be completely different. The resolution hack doesn't do anything but change the resolution and noise generator values in conf.cfc and disable the signature checks in common_dll.dll.

So, after few messages, it appears that we succeeded. The problem was not common_dll.dll, but the conf.cfc. The 2.11 hack didn't patch it correctly (probably there are some differences).

We used the 1.22 procedure for the resolution hack:

Now the res hack works too. It appears that the 2.11.0 menu hack (which is actually the same as the 2.3.0) works with the 1.22 --> 2.11 upgrade, and there was no need to use the 1.22 menu hack.

Offline Kai-74

« Reply #7813 on: May 17, 2016, 09:13:03 pm »
Thank you so much!

Great Job 2lps!

I'm so lucky...

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7814 on: May 18, 2016, 12:19:36 pm »
I have a few questions (probably "noob" questions but I'm excited and want to talk about my E4 before it gets here)

• Has anyone taken the core out of an E4 and used it in other "hosts"?  I know the Leptons can be connected to other boards
  • Is it possible to cool the sensor and get better performance?
  • I know a few have messed with other lenses.  Is there a go-to Germanium lens to use?  I read that Germanium lenses are better
  • Is the current firmware still 2.11?  I keep reading threads where they say "only the old ones are hackable" which makes me nervous
  • Has anyone hacked the battery?  I'm guessing it's just an 18650 in a plastic case.  Not something I'm going to pay $50 for!

Thanks again to everyone who worked on unleashing the full potential of these cameras!

Offline iG0R

« Reply #7815 on: May 18, 2016, 04:03:58 pm »
I tried to figured out why I couldn't access camera with standard login\password.
In my case when I use VirtualBox+IE10.Win7.For.Windows.VirtualBox.zip(from Microsoft official site https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/windows/) I can access camera with anonymous login\password, but when I use physical PC with Windows 7 32bit - I need to enter flir\3vlig to access camera. It's a very strange camera ftp server behavior. :-//
I also tried to use root\3vlig, root\indigo and other standard login\password that are used to access camera, but they were not fit.

Switching the camera to RNDIS mode in Windows and then using Ubuntu also works. I think I needed to manually set the IP there.
There is a secret menu Settings --> Device Settings --> Camera Information. Then hold the right navigation button for some seconds. A new screen appears with the following entries:
USB mode >
Export Information
Version Information >
Latest calibration
There are options to change the USB mode there directly from the camera, instead of using FlirInstallNet.exe in Windows, but at the moment nothing happens when you change them. There may be another way to switch it to RNDIS mode and use only Ubuntu, but I am not aware.

Yes, I knew about this possibility to change USB modes,
Settings --> Device Settings --> Camera Information -> pushing on "Set" button during 12sec. ->  USB mode > RNDIS*
but, as you mentioned, this technique doesn't work in 2.11.0

Actually, after reading how it was done in Linux (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg417547/#msg417547 and https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg417771/#msg417771) I was able to connect using Windows 10.
You still need to set manually the IP of the interface after switching to RNDIS mode using the Set_RNDIS_temporary.fif. But use 192.168.250.1 for the IP. Then you will be able to connect to the camera using 192.168.250.2
As I see in screenshots, you didn't enter Default Gateway and despite that you were able to connect the camera in Windows10? Hm, very strange.

2lps
Thank  you very much for your help.
And many thanks to all people who made the hack possible.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 06:29:58 pm by iG0R »

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7816 on: May 20, 2016, 01:16:43 am »
My E4 just came in!  One thing, the pictures on it look really smooth already.  Does this look like 80x60 or 320x240?  It looks nothing like the "stock" pictures from the device.  Is there a chance mine is already modded?

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7817 on: May 20, 2016, 04:11:34 am »
My E4 just came in!  One thing, the pictures on it look really smooth already.  Does this look like 80x60 or 320x240?  It looks nothing like the "stock" pictures from the device.  Is there a chance mine is already modded?

Looks upgraded already, where'd you get it from?

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7818 on: May 20, 2016, 11:17:47 am »
Looks upgraded already, where'd you get it from?
I was looking at the Amazon page for the E4, and saw there was a "used" offer for $450.   I bought it instantly since I have never seen one that low.  The unit itself is 1.2L with software 2.3.0.  (But I don't know how much it has been tampered with)

I'm just glad I actually got an E4, for what I paid I was expecting to get a box of rocks in the mail.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7819 on: May 20, 2016, 12:24:39 pm »
check the sensor resolution with exiftool:

Code: [Select]
>exiftool -rawtherm* myimage.jpg
Raw Thermal Image Width         : 320
Raw Thermal Image Height        : 240
Raw Thermal Image Type          : PNG
Raw Thermal Image               : (Binary data 55611 bytes, use -b option to extract)

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7820 on: May 20, 2016, 12:46:32 pm »
Looks like it's modded:

Code: [Select]
D:\FLIR Stuff>exiftool.exe -rawtherm* FLIR0006.jpg
Raw Thermal Image Width         : 320
Raw Thermal Image Height        : 240
Raw Thermal Image Type          : PNG
Raw Thermal Image               : (Binary data 49033 bytes, use -b option to extract)

D:\FLIR Stuff>

Offline hikanio

• Contributor
« Reply #7821 on: May 20, 2016, 04:33:25 pm »
I am about to get a E30 with serial number 492xx from late 2013 and I am really curious if this one comes with the wifi/bluetooth module or not.

So far I could not manage to find out what exact model this might be, I would expect a 49001-1801 model.

I have been playing around with the firmware on the Flir C2 for a while as it works pretty similar to the other Flir models.
But except modifying the startup screen I was not able to improve the C2 by any means due the humble hardware and sensor.

So I am really looking forward to get my hands on the E30 and finally see some better IR images than this 80x60 Lepton blobs. ;-)

Cheers
hikanio

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7822 on: May 21, 2016, 02:11:41 am »
Hi everyone!  I installed the menu hack tonight, and everything seemed to work right off the bat.  I powered down (soft off) and back on, and had horrible ring-of-crap, but then turned it off and on about 10 more times and never got the ring of crap.  I never removed the battery, just soft off and on.  Is ROC a random occurrence?

I'm a little nervous since my camera arrived modified, I never got a chance to back up the "clean" config files.  How bad of an issue is that?  Also, being modified out of the box, I don't know what version the camera came with.  Is there a way to tell?  Does it matter?

Offline Solare

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7823 on: May 21, 2016, 12:11:51 pm »
ROC is inherent to the lack of steps in the hacking procedure apllied to the cameras which are inconsistent to certain firmware| software versions combinations. If it came once, it will come again. Typically, after extended use of camera, or over-warming. Suspected versions according my experience are: 2.3.0, 2.8.0 and the downgraded.   

The following users thanked this post: mct75

Offline hikanio

• Contributor
« Reply #7824 on: May 21, 2016, 12:39:32 pm »
Flir E30 49001-1801 Serial # 492xx Success Report

Successfully updated the IR resolution, VIS resolution and E60 menu functions. :-)

Just a biit surprised, that the cam saves image files without the vis picture if not in thermal fusion or pip mode.
This is a slight discomfort as it prevents any Tools MSX conversion of the picture.

Also the 492xx cameras seem to miss the cmmunications board so wifi and bluetooth could not be enabled.

If anybody could confirm that the lack of the of the slbwver hw component really means the physical absence of the communications modul, it could save me from further investigation. ;-)

If anybody needs help with patching his Exx, you'll be welcome.

Cheers
hikanio

Edit: Post copied to 40 Thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e40-upgrade-configuration/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 04:06:13 pm by hikanio »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf