Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3770501 times)

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7850 on: June 07, 2016, 07:52:51 pm »
Did you make a backup? Restore it, then try it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline godfrey

• Contributor
« Reply #7851 on: June 07, 2016, 08:47:59 pm »

Out of complete stupidity, I did not...however, 2lps was very kind in assisting me resolve the issue.  A backup will be made though!

For whatever reason, my E4 didn't quite like the conf.cfc file.  It's imaging was slightly improved, but there was aliasing shown on the LCD, but the rendered images taken by the camera didn't show it as much.  We tried changing CRC03 slightly, we tried other conf.cfc files and after a few sleepless nights, it finally took and decided to behave.

Happily, the imager still shows up as a webcam, so they'll be able to record (albeit externally) directly from the imager.

I could not have done it without the help of 2lps and the EEVblog community.  Thank you so much, everyone!

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7852 on: June 08, 2016, 02:47:11 pm »

Out of complete stupidity, I did not...however, 2lps was very kind in assisting me resolve the issue.  A backup will be made though!

For whatever reason, my E4 didn't quite like the conf.cfc file.  It's imaging was slightly improved, but there was aliasing shown on the LCD, but the rendered images taken by the camera didn't show it as much.  We tried changing CRC03 slightly, we tried other conf.cfc files and after a few sleepless nights, it finally took and decided to behave.

Happily, the imager still shows up as a webcam, so they'll be able to record (albeit externally) directly from the imager.

I could not have done it without the help of 2lps and the EEVblog community.  Thank you so much, everyone!

Glad you got it sorted.

I finally managed to get hold of an E4 to upgrade (albeit not mine!). It had 2.3.0 firmware and 1.2L hardware. Interestingly I was able to turn on RNDIS using the hidden menu, which was still accessible? Did anyone else find this?

Offline komy14

« Reply #7853 on: June 08, 2016, 07:27:44 pm »
Dear Sir,

I just got E4 v2.11 and downgrade firmware to 2.3

But I read topic #7788 and use script modify and try to make like this http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/

But when I try to Resolution hack in cmd it found some problem.

I don't know how to do?

Please advice me too.Thank you
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:36:22 pm by komy14 »

Offline 2lps

• Contributor
« Reply #7854 on: June 08, 2016, 08:59:39 pm »
It means that you have tried to run the hack before and it already created a patched version of common_dll.dll and conf.cfc in the FLIRreshack directory. Just delete the common_dll.dll and conf.cfc from the FLIRreshack directory (the same location, where the apply.py script is) and run it again.

You did upgrade back to 2.11 using the update pack, right?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7855 on: June 08, 2016, 10:28:19 pm »
Interestingly I was able to turn on RNDIS using the hidden menu, which was still accessible? Did anyone else find this?

This is news to me. We could get to the menu but changing options had no effect.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline bingo07

« Reply #7856 on: June 09, 2016, 03:23:28 am »
Just recently purchased a Flir e4 that came with fw 2.11.0.  I followed the directions posted at http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/ along with the files posted by 2lps and i believe everything went fine.

Question. How can I verify that the resolution is indeed 320x240 and menu hack took.  Thanks 2lps and everyone else for making the hacks available.

Offline komy14

« Reply #7857 on: June 09, 2016, 03:38:54 am »
It means that you have tried to run the hack before and it already created a patched version of common_dll.dll and conf.cfc in the FLIRreshack directory. Just delete the common_dll.dll and conf.cfc from the FLIRreshack directory (the same location, where the apply.py script is) and run it again.

You did upgrade back to 2.11 using the update pack, right?

Thanks for 2lps

my detail:

First my e4 come with firmware 2.11

and I downgrade firmware to 2.3 with Flirtool and file from MATMOE -  http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00983732806372988148

I install program need for upgrade into pc (windows7-32bit) :)

and Switching camera to RNDIS mode.

and I connect e4 with filezila and backup all file in e4 and put 3 folder(FLIRfif, FLIRmenuhack and FLIRreshack) into drive c:

in folder FLIRreshack

and run cmd it found problem.

and see in older FLIRreshack again.

I don't know what wrong and how to fix it?

please help me too. ???

Offline 2lps

• Contributor
« Reply #7858 on: June 09, 2016, 05:22:11 am »
I sent you a personal message. Please check your inbox.

The following users thanked this post: Chanc3, iG0R, komy14

Offline komy14

« Reply #7859 on: June 09, 2016, 11:01:10 am »
Dear all,

Thanks you so much for 2lps,now I roll back firmware and reverse it all,and try again.

It's work!!!!

Thank you for this board and 2lps.

Cheers.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:10:18 am by komy14 »

Offline Faith

• Supporter
« Reply #7860 on: June 09, 2016, 12:20:15 pm »
Wow. I have just stumbled upon this thread. I always thought that high resolution Thermal Imagers were super expensive because the manufacturing of a 320x240 sensor would be very expensive to produce.

And now I see that a Thermal Imager the price of a FLIR E4 actually has a 320x240 sensor inside but is artificially limited?

I really wonder just how much more in sales FLIR would make if they made an official 320x240 Thermal Imager at this kind of price range without the need for a hack.

Even if it were double the price of the FLIR E4 I'm sure it would sell.

Not just amongst professionals but also those who wish to purchase one for fun or curiosity.
<3 ~Faith~

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #7861 on: June 09, 2016, 07:14:59 pm »
Wow. I have just stumbled upon this thread. I always thought that high resolution Thermal Imagers were super expensive because the manufacturing of a 320x240 sensor would be very expensive to produce.

And now I see that a Thermal Imager the price of a FLIR E4 actually has a 320x240 sensor inside but is artificially limited?

I really wonder just how much more in sales FLIR would make if they made an official 320x240 Thermal Imager at this kind of price range without the need for a hack.

Even if it were double the price of the FLIR E4 I'm sure it would sell.

Not just amongst professionals but also those who wish to purchase one for fun or curiosity.

They're definitely not super expensive to produce. For example, the Therm-App is a 384 × 288 camera retails for less than $1,000. Assuming the market for these cameras continues to grow, companies like FLIR and Fluke will eventually have to reduce their prices to stay competitive. Of course, the big companies have the advantage of being brand names and could make sales at higher prices for a bit longer.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 09:49:11 pm by ixfd64 »

Offline spud244

« Reply #7862 on: June 11, 2016, 02:53:15 pm »
Hey guys, I recently bought a used E4 with firmware 2.3.0 after reading this thread in hopes of upgrading the resolution. However, it seems to be not working for me. For starters, this camera has a conf.cfg file that is 6297 bytes. And before I knew that I would get the following error:

= CONNECT TO FTP
= CREATING BACKUP DIR backup-20150401094151
= RETR /FlashBFS/system/common_dll.dll
= RETR /FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/conf.cfc
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “apply.py”, line 70, in
http://ftp.retrbinary(“RETR ” + name, tmpfile.write)
File “C:\Python27\lib\ftplib.py”, line 414, in retrbinary
conn = self.transfercmd(cmd, rest)
File “C:\Python27\lib\ftplib.py”, line 376, in transfercmd
return self.ntransfercmd(cmd, rest)[0]
File “C:\Python27\lib\ftplib.py”, line 339, in ntransfercmd
resp = self.sendcmd(cmd)
File “C:\Python27\lib\ftplib.py”, line 249, in sendcmd
return self.getresp()
File “C:\Python27\lib\ftplib.py”, line 224, in getresp
raise error_perm, resp
ftplib.error_perm: 550 File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Offline bangbang99

• Contributor
« Reply #7863 on: June 11, 2016, 08:32:58 pm »
Another focusing tool for Flir E4. Matches perfectly, easy to make (2 minutes), safe for the camera due to softness of the material.
Instruction:
1) Take a plastic bottle caps with diameter of sealing part 17mm
2) Heat up the bottle caps top part (see photo) to soften the light.
3) Insert immediately to the E4 cameras lens opening to make initial form.
4) Heat 1/3 of the tools working side to soften the light and insert the tool again (matching previous angular position).
5) Repeat 3 - 4 times to form full shape. 
6) Enjoy 8)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:44:35 pm by bangbang99 »

Offline Gen2ux

« Reply #7864 on: June 11, 2016, 08:52:21 pm »
Many thanks to Dave and the EEVblog community, I purchased an E4 and hacked to E8 usability.  I now have a fully functional thermal camera that has shown me all sorts of good...and bad.   :clap:

Offline godfrey

• Contributor
« Reply #7865 on: June 11, 2016, 09:05:22 pm »
This is probably buried deep in this thread somewhere.  Found some things on Thingaverse that can be printer for the FLIR's (even a few from eevblog!).

http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=FLIR

Offline bangbang99

• Contributor
« Reply #7866 on: June 11, 2016, 09:50:18 pm »
Just an easy way to play a couple of times with lens without need to by the perfect tool :)

Offline gotrice

« Reply #7867 on: June 19, 2016, 03:08:34 am »
my Flir E4 just arrived, it came with software 2.11 and model 1.2L. i cant exactly find a guide to hack it with software 2.11. do i have to downgrade the software, just like for version 2.8? i did noticed a few people have been successful hacking software 2.11...

if someone can help me with a step by step guide to hacking my E4 it would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Offline 2lps

• Contributor
« Reply #7868 on: June 19, 2016, 09:53:47 am »
my Flir E4 just arrived, it came with software 2.11 and model 1.2L. i cant exactly find a guide to hack it with software 2.11. do i have to downgrade the software, just like for version 2.8? i did noticed a few people have been successful hacking software 2.11...

if someone can help me with a step by step guide to hacking my E4 it would be greatly appreciated. thank you

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg921880/#msg921880

Offline brickedMyE4

« Reply #7869 on: June 19, 2016, 05:58:44 pm »
Hi, I'm new here...
I manage to brick my E4 with FW version 2.11. 
First Downgrade it to 2.3 successfully(using https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg839561/#msg839561) and then following this http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/  install resolution hack, and it worked.
Than I try to install Menu hack and it wasn't working correctly. Then I tried to install this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg326024/#msg326024
Now i get wrong password when try to login in FTP, but I can still access file thru windows explorer without password. And then after FLIR logo I get blank screen.
Is there some way to upload eFLIRInstall.exe and Z3comb_v2.3.0.fif to force reinstall?
I tried manually to do this, but still nothing on LCD after FLIR logo.
I did backup FlashSF but not FlashBSP.  I tried to remove hack, but still nothing. I still have common_dll.dll and conf.cfc files.
When type default gateway into browser i get this: See image in attachment...
EDIT:
I found this ftp://192.168.0.2/FlashIFS/FLIRUpdate/ and it contains  eFLIRInstall.exe and Z3comb_v2.3.0.fif
Now I'm trying to find way to start eFLIRInstall or to put it in autorun. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:17:58 pm by brickedMyE4 »

Offline 2lps

• Contributor
« Reply #7870 on: June 19, 2016, 08:31:49 pm »
1. Return the original conf.cfc and common_dll.dll to the camera
* Copy the original conf.cfc to /FlashFS/system/appcore.d/config.d/
* Copy the original common_dll.dll to /FlashBFS/system/

2. Upgrade back to 2.11 using the update pack found here - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg921880/#msg921880 This will fix the problem with not booting properly.

3. Use the 2.11 files to do the res and menu hack from here - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg921880/#msg921880
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:37:00 pm by 2lps »

The following users thanked this post: brickedMyE4

Offline brickedMyE4

« Reply #7871 on: June 20, 2016, 12:16:13 am »
Thank you for response. I did try that but didn't work.
I can't update with FLIR Tool 4.1. It won't open bottom half of window. So I unpacked 2.3 .fif file with winrar, and manually copy files to FlashBSP and get it up and running but it was missing half of menu, ftp was ok.
Then I tried same with 2.11, and get back black screen. Then I tried telnet and it worked, so I run  eFLIRInstall.exe Z3comb_v2.3.0.fif and it was doing something, but nothing on screen appeared, and i hear usb restart. But still black screen. Moved back files manually for 2.3 and get it to work. Applied resolution hack, then menu hack and get almost all option available, no 3 point and difference temp. Everything else seams to work.
I also tried to update it with last version of flir tool, but still nothing...

Offline takeo

« Reply #7872 on: June 20, 2016, 04:04:36 pm »
I am looking to buy an e4 with the hopes of updating it to e8 specs.

Are all current versions of the e4 upgradeable to the e8?  Or must I make sure the version I buy has a particular firmware installed?

Sorry for the newbie questions...

Offline kitsune-denshi

• Contributor
« Reply #7873 on: June 20, 2016, 06:33:55 pm »
I just thought I'd report that I successfully upgraded my E4 that came with 2.11 firmware using the files provided by 2lps.

I used the current version of FLIR tools and drivers under Windows 7 x64, everything went without any problems and the whole procedure was done in less than 10 minutes.

Thank you very much for providing the hack for 2.11!

Offline EEprom

« Reply #7874 on: June 23, 2016, 09:12:42 pm »
hey guys , I would buy a new E4 to do some tests . I checked on the website flir the latest firmware version turns out to be 2.11 , then today I would have probably buying it this firmware release . If so, I can turn it to E8 directly ? or do I downgrade to firmware 2.03 and then apply the patch? Thanks  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf