Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3787565 times)

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8000 on: August 30, 2016, 12:55:47 pm »
From what I remember that's like some sort of emergency boot loader mode that likely requires special files to recover from that have never been seen outside of FLIR before.

Offline Nuzzler

• Contributor
« Reply #8001 on: August 30, 2016, 01:27:06 pm »
Great teardown!

- Nuzz

Offline Stereo

• Contributor
« Reply #8002 on: September 05, 2016, 11:43:02 am »
Hi all!

Have some question. I'm searching hard but not found:

I have successfully upgraded E4 firmware 1.22 to E8, if I now upgrade it to 2.3.0 (show it in Flir Tools) and upgrade to E8 again (new method) can I later downgrade to 1.22 if something going not good?

Thx!!

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8003 on: September 08, 2016, 06:23:17 am »
As I know, a (simple) downgrade to 1.22 is not possible
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:00:07 am by tomas123 »

Offline SarahB

« Reply #8004 on: September 09, 2016, 01:45:16 pm »
Total newbie, it took me 25mins just to register for the eevblog!  :-DD

I just got my E4 software 2.11.0

I've tried to follow through the scattered instructions, have the files but cant get past step 1 concerning how to make it to firmware 2.3

Have mercy on me, I have other skills but this isn't one of them :(

Offline icemanh

« Reply #8005 on: September 15, 2016, 11:31:45 am »
Dear all

Could you share the v2.3 firmware to me? I tried the download link in inside the thread but it is expired.

Many thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sairus

• Contributor
« Reply #8006 on: September 15, 2016, 04:43:58 pm »
Could you share the v2.3 firmware to me? I tried the download link in inside the thread but it is expired.
You can use 2.11 hack but if you want 2.3 no problem
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qb9ik2j43h4z4pb/flir_ex_pn639_v2.3.0_update_pack.zip?dl=0

The following users thanked this post: Platonas, icemanh

Offline icemanh

« Reply #8007 on: September 16, 2016, 07:00:41 am »
You can use 2.11 hack but if you want 2.3 no problem
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qb9ik2j43h4z4pb/flir_ex_pn639_v2.3.0_update_pack.zip?dl=0

Thank you, Sairus.

I will try the 2.11 first, and go to 2.3 if there is any problem.

Btw, I am using Win10 64bit, is there any successful case?  Or I have to go to Win7 32bit?

Offline thrux

« Reply #8008 on: September 23, 2016, 04:32:44 pm »
Hello, new to the forum, and new to IR imaging. I've successfully hacked my 2.3 E4 to the upgraded resolution and menus.

However, I'm trying to get the camera out of permanent RNDIS and having some difficulty. I followed the instructions on the fubar site. When connecting the camera to my pc, it will not assign an IP, and I'm getting a "Could not configure ThermaCAM" notification from the taskbar. I tried manually setting and IP, as well as disabling all other network adapters with no luck. I've also searched through this thread, but theres quite a bit of info here, maybe I missed it? Has anyone had any luck with an issue like mine?

EDIT: Finally got it to connect, but when running Remove_RNDIS_Permanent.fif, the camera is seen and connect, installation starts, but I'm getting;

"Camera command rm -rf flashfs/system/appcore.d/factory.d/zrndis.rsc

Received shell command message: Bad command or filename"

EDIT 2: Fixed by deleting zrndis.rsc from flashfs/system/appcore.d/factory.d/ on the camera
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 07:15:48 pm by thrux »

Offline umkumiut

• Contributor
« Reply #8009 on: September 27, 2016, 07:43:20 pm »
Hello All,
Sorry if I post my issue in a wrong thread... I've bought an E4 recently and successfully 'enhanced' it with the help of this forum - thank you for that.
I noticed some strange noise with high temperature contrast scenes, let's say when the difference between the captured minimum and maximum temperature is above 13-15 Celsius. Dark and less-dark vetical strips appear in cold areas. See on the photos. It is not visible when there is no dark (blue) area on the screen (with iron color sheme).
Is this normal?
Thanks!
PS: HW is 1.2L, FW 2.11.0

Offline Sofia

• Contributor
« Reply #8010 on: September 28, 2016, 10:48:06 am »
It is normal. It makes me too.

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8011 on: September 29, 2016, 06:36:37 am »
Does anyone have the software (firmware) for cameras E4:
  - flir_ex_pn639_v1.19.8_update_pack.zip
  - flir_ex_pn639_v1.21.0_update_pack.zip
  - flir_ex_pn639_v1.22.0_update_pack.zip

If so, you can share?

Many people update the software version 1.19.8 (1.21,1.22) to version 2.3.0
This update causes malfunction MenuHack.
He wants to make an attempt to downgrade the software version lower than 2.3.0.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 06:55:02 am by max-bit »

Offline madtinkerer

« Reply #8012 on: October 02, 2016, 09:43:22 pm »
I am about to pull the trigger on an E4 and just had some questions.  I have read a ton of posts in this thread and am a little confused. Are guys successfully hacking 2.11 versions, or are they downgrading to 2.3 and then hacking it?  I don't want to pick one up with 2.11 and find out I can't hack it for better resolution.
Thanks
Madtinkerer

Offline umkumiut

• Contributor
« Reply #8013 on: October 03, 2016, 05:55:35 pm »
I am about to pull the trigger on an E4 and just had some questions.  I have read a ton of posts in this thread and am a little confused. Are guys successfully hacking 2.11 versions, or are they downgrading to 2.3 and then hacking it?  I don't want to pick one up with 2.11 and find out I can't hack it for better resolution.
Thanks
Madtinkerer

There is no need to downgrade from 2.11 to 2.3, just use the instructions and the files from 2lps and fubar: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg921880/#msg921880

I've used a PC running Win 7 32 bit without any issue.

Offline dedelekid

« Reply #8014 on: October 07, 2016, 05:11:09 pm »
I remind this state a wile ago...
i know no way to fix it yourself  :-//
What did FLIR charge to re-flash your E4 please ? This information may be useful to others who end up with a unrecoverable bricked E4.
Hello,
The Camera is still by FLIR. I hope to receive it in the next 2 weeks.

Hat i have done:
1. Set Camera in RNDIS mode
2. open "FLIRInstallNet.exe" from /bin folder (FLIR Tools)
3. Download old firmware  (flir_ex_pn639_v1.18.7_update_pack.zip) from somewhere in this forum
4. flashing the "Z3comb_v1.18.7.fif"
5. Camera restarts later and was found as new Volume (ASCO 23.9MB)
6. only the FLIR logo was shown and the Asco volume... that's it.
I tried to use the hardware UART with "usbfn RNDIS" but nothing happens.
I copied the files inside the ASCO Volume (see attechment). If I store files there and restart the Camera, the files are disappeared.

I have the theory, that FLIR store some command file there and if the Camera restarts they have additional a working RNDIS mode for reflash.
However, they don't will let us know this...

Is your software going to be available in English please ?
The Software is partly in English (the words are shorter ;) ) but more in German. You can see in Schreenshots.
I could look to make it more Multilanguage... If my kids let me...

It's seem like boot issue seeing with smartphone or old mp3 reader.
And at this moment it's need some trick to enter download flashing mode like push power button for few sec and plug to USB or a combination button, to perfom a flashing but need one file not separate file like room in smartphone. what do you think?

Offline SWAGGYD

• Contributor
« Reply #8015 on: October 18, 2016, 12:05:34 am »
Hi
I have FLIR E4 (upgrade to E8). Now I need to buy higher model (with focus). I need to measure a temperature of about 800-900 degrees Celsius. ( sometimes even about 1000 C degree).

Do you even recommend me some good camera model. Budget to 5 thousand pounds. I am looking a rather used camera.

I will be grateful for the advice

Thx gus

Offline Signal32

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8016 on: October 18, 2016, 12:11:28 am »
Hi
I have FLIR E4 (upgrade to E8). Now I need to buy higher model (with focus). I need to measure a temperature of about 800-900 degrees Celsius. ( sometimes even about 1000 C degree).

Do you even recommend me some good camera model. Budget to 5 thousand pounds. I am looking a rather used camera.

Thx gus
You may wanna start a new thread for this.
One option is somethingng like a FLIR T300 / T360 which sometimes go for 2-2.5k on eBay, but the 1200C option is another 1.7k O.o
http://store.flir.com/product/high-temp-option-1200-deg/t-series-accessories.
There you can also find what cameras you can apply the options to.

Offline SWAGGYD

• Contributor
« Reply #8017 on: October 18, 2016, 02:15:53 pm »
Thx for answer, I find nic combo on ebay (THERMAL CAMERA P60 witj 3 lens)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152284869879?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I checked the price of lenses. They are very expensive I think the price for this set is quite ok.

Whot You think gus abut this set?

Hi

Thx gus
You may wanna start a new thread for this.
One option is somethingng like a FLIR T300 / T360 which sometimes go for 2-2.5k on eBay, but the 1200C option is another 1.7k O.o
http://store.flir.com/product/high-temp-option-1200-deg/t-series-accessories.
There you can also find what cameras you can apply the options to.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8018 on: October 18, 2016, 05:10:39 pm »
P60 is quite old. It is a very good camera but I would not pay more than £1K for that camera today. I see two lenses and a lens protector in the photo. I bought the two lenses, 0.45X and 2.0X for around £100 to £200 each from the USA.

That camera is a nice set but, IMHO, overpriced in the current market. They cost around £25K new with around £5K per lens and £150 for the lens protector. Those are industrial prices that are never maintained on the used market. Hence their current value of around £1500 on the used market today.

Also, please be aware that this FLIR camera is export controlled and should not leave the UK without checking what, if any restrictions are in place on its overseas shipping. It uses a USA supplied Raytheon sensor detailed in USA ITAR documentation.

In all honesty, I have never liked the PXX series. It looked weird with its 'bent'  design and the external monitor handset seemed a necessity for best ergonomics, but it is messy. Just my personal views though.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:22:07 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline SWAGGYD

• Contributor
« Reply #8019 on: October 18, 2016, 05:23:07 pm »
I see two lenses and a lens protector in the photo. I bought the two lenses, 0.45X and 2.0X for around £100 to £200 each from the USA.

That camera is a nice set but, IMHO, overpriced in the current market. They cost around £25K new with around £5K per lens and £150 for the lens protector. Those are industrial prices that are never maintained on the used market. Hence their current value of around £1500 on the used market today.

Fraser

Can you show me where I can buy the lenses at such prices as you enter. Because I see the cheapest auctions lens 12 degrees for 900. £ 150 will be happy to buy :).

I do not know where you are buying these things in such prices on ebay but there is no such listing.

Regards

Swaggy

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8020 on: October 18, 2016, 07:00:56 pm »
I bought mine on eBay.com from the USA. They come up now and then.  Sadly I was the one buying them all in the past whenever they appeared so people did not get a look in. I ended up with two of each and sold a 45 degree to a deserving new owner for £200, which is what I had paid including shipping and taxes at import to U.K.

If your need is urgent you may have to pay a premium, but do not overpay. My PM570, PM575 and PM695 cameras all cost me less than ££800 The PM5xx and PM6xx are well known and respected in the industry. Even FLIR techs admit that these series are the best built and reliable cameras that they have ever made. It is in fact an AGEMA design taken forward by FLIR when they bought AGEMA. They very rarely need calibration due to the stability of the design. A no expense spared camera. Sadly the PXX series cannot be described in the same way.  The later PXXX series are very good and more like the quality of the PM series.

Fraser

Offline SWAGGYD

• Contributor
« Reply #8021 on: October 18, 2016, 07:32:02 pm »
I ended up with two of each and sold a 45 degree to a deserving new owner for £200, which is what I had paid including shipping and taxes at import to U.K.
My PM570, PM575 and PM695 cameras all cost me less than ££800 The PM5xx and PM6xx are well known and respected in the industry.

Fraser

You write that you bought these things for very low prices, it had to be great bargains that are sometimes, but very rarely. Is this the moment you are able to show some actual action on a camera or a lens with such low prices?

Offline SWAGGYD

• Contributor
« Reply #8022 on: October 18, 2016, 07:37:15 pm »
 Sadly the PXX series cannot be described in the same way.  The later PXXX series are very good and more like the quality of the PM series.

Fraser
[/quote]

I do not agree with you. I worked for the PM575 and PM695 in the company of which I worked were these two cameras. I still have a problem with them. The display was replaced after 3 years. In both models, the motor (serwo focus) broke down on the severity. The camera was big and uncomfortable to hold. I had the opportunity to look for a moment at the FLIR P45 (it almost the same as P60), comfortable to hold, better display, faster focus. In addition, the PM575 series is much older to P60. Tomorrow I am going to watch this camera, I will negotiate the price for the 3K I can buy it. Maybe you want to sell your P60 lenses, apparently you do not like it more;).

Regards

SWAGGY

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8023 on: October 18, 2016, 08:41:08 pm »
PM and P series share the same lens mount and take the same lenses. They are the original AGEMA PM570 lens design. Some still have PM570 on them.

You appear to have been unlucky with your PM series cameras. Such is not typical though. The guys who service them love the camera series, me included. I reverse engineered the PM series cameras to component level and have a complete set of schematics. If they fail, they are very straight forward to repair. I own three PM570, two PM575 and four PM695. Only one has ever been faulty and that was just a logic buffer IC failure. The EVF does have a weakness. If the camera is dropped, thebacklight transformer breaks away from the PCB. Hard snapping down of the EVF onto the case can also do the same over time. The ribbon cable between the EVF and main PCB is also just as vulnerable to failure as on any camera or camcorder with a EVF that may be elevated.

You like the P series, no problem with that. It is personal choice. Try repairing one though (and they do fail) .... you would be in for a very unpleasant surprise. I will not touch one without an agreed minimum inspection and diagnosis fee as they are pigs to work on. FLIR repair prices are hilarious too.

I hope you get a good deal on the camera and it works well for you. Do not expect to recover anything like your investment though if you pay anywhere near the asking price and then want to sell.

Whatever happens, I hope you enjoy your thermography.

As has been said, maybe another thread is needed for your buying adventure. You have asked a fair question and I have provided a fair comment from an industry insiders point of view.

Fraser
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 08:43:33 pm by Fraser »

Offline icemanh

« Reply #8024 on: October 23, 2016, 02:21:32 pm »
I got my Flir E4 which comes with v2.11.0 and my PC is win10 64bit... :scared:
Luckily I hacked the E4 successfully without downgrading to v2.3.0

1/ I installed the latest 64bit drivers from Flir
http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/update/device-drivers/1.15.3.0/flir-device-drivers.exe

2/ I manually assigned the ip address 192.168.250.1 to infrared interface, instead of DHCP.  The camera ip address will be 192.168.250.2 in this case.

3/ I follow the steps from fubar.gr (http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/) except scripts are from 2lps in this thread (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg921880/#msg921880)

and the steps are straight forward, no trick.  Enjoy your hack  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf