Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769872 times)

Offline lou

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8550 on: October 15, 2019, 08:30:08 pm »
Hello all,
  I have an E5 which I upgraded. No problems with the upgrade.  I have a problem with the center square buttons (navigation pad).  The left side vertical does not change the selection option.  The other buttons all work just fine.
Anyone know how difficult it is to access and or replace this?  When I boot up it is on the spot selector, so I currently cannot get to the settings and image modes.

Lou

Offline lou

« Reply #8551 on: October 17, 2019, 12:12:52 am »
Update,
  I opened the case as per the video on page 1...  I can't get to the the navigation pad to remove it. Does the face plate come off?  I gently tried to pry but did not want to break anything.
Lou

Offline street8487

• Contributor
« Reply #8552 on: November 16, 2019, 07:22:31 am »
i have a FLIR E4 WIFI 2.0L fw v3.16.0.
I am looking for some help. I have searched all over looking on how to add files into the Python directory |O. i have zero experience with Python would appreciate the help. I have searched this forum, watched videos on how to add files to the directory. Its all french to me. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance for the help.

12 - Encrypt the file using python and the suid. I had 2 big problems with this. Directing python to the files and which command window to use. I kept getting a syntax error. Use the normal windows cmd. Use CD to change its directory to the Python folder. For me "cd\" to get to the root of C: then "CD python27" put both files in the python directory before running the command line.
13 – Move the newly created conf.cfc from the python folder to where your other files are.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 07:47:32 am by street8487 »

Offline street8487

• Contributor
« Reply #8553 on: November 16, 2019, 09:18:58 am »
I see a few of you live in Canada, anyone live in Calgary? Dont want to screw up my new E4, willing to pay someone to do it.

Offline street8487

• Contributor
« Reply #8554 on: November 17, 2019, 03:58:05 am »
Bricked my Flir E4 v2.0L fm3.16.0

I have since BRICKED my new camera.  |O

I went over everything, checked my notes, re-read the steps and made sure to place the new files in what i thought was the correct place. I was connected to the E4 via WIFI, had checked and rechecked what i had done. Then proceed with the next steps......now its stuck on the Loading Screen. FML

I had seen something reg using the USB and being able to reconnect to the unit. I did save the original files to my laptop and to a mem stick. i did that twice just to make sure.

Hopefully someone here has a trick to get the unit into RNDIS mode via the laptop (Windows 10 Home)

Seeing my new camera stuck on the load screen makes me sick, lol.

If im out of luck then i guess ill see if i can return the unit to ITM (picked up from local location)

Would appreciate any help. Thanks

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8555 on: November 17, 2019, 05:47:23 am »
You are in a wrong topic thread. Go to the E4 WiFi thread, use the recovery procedure from post #183 in that thread to restore your camera, then use post #788 to liberate it.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline street8487

• Contributor
« Reply #8556 on: November 17, 2019, 06:02:13 am »
You were asking if anyone has "bricked" their E4.  |O

I managed to mess mine up. Its stuck on the loading screen. I have been looking for ways to remedy this. I did see somewhere on here about being able to reconnect via usb and getting the camera into RNDIS mode. I did save everything before i did anything. I just need to find a way to reinstall that data. I double checked what i did, and where everything went, apparently i messed up somewhere. If i do manage to figure this out, ill post what i did.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8557 on: November 17, 2019, 06:39:05 am »
I do not think i ever asked if anyone has bricked their E4. Did you read what i said ?

Offline street8487

• Contributor
« Reply #8558 on: November 17, 2019, 06:23:11 pm »
Sorry i was trying to reply to another post, didnt realize it would pop up after someone else's post. I was reading a post and clicked on reply, assuming it would show up on his post. Im new to this forum and am still learning how it works.

Offline street8487

• Contributor
« Reply #8559 on: November 17, 2019, 06:30:34 pm »
I did read your post, tried it a bunch of times. I pinged the thermal and that was fine. Then i tried to connect and got "No connection made because target machine actively refused it"

Thanks for all the valuable info that you and everyone have posted.
Ive been at this for a hrs/days, i have researched steps or references that i didnt understand.

I am a Refrigeration Tech and havent done much with this type of computing for years. I really hope i can restore this unit.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 06:37:05 pm by street8487 »

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8560 on: November 17, 2019, 06:34:34 pm »
As Bud stated, go here to recover your camera: Post #183
and go here to liberate it: Post #788

You should be reading and seeking help from the FLIR E4 Wifi Resolution and Menu Hack Thread. You are searching on the wrong board.

Offline street8487

• Contributor
« Reply #8561 on: November 17, 2019, 06:37:38 pm »
Thanks

Offline Kabasva

• Contributor
« Reply #8562 on: November 26, 2019, 06:39:45 pm »
If anyone knows where you can download a dump file for NAND flash Flir E4, please give a link. Maybe someone can copy the dump file from their Flir E4, please do it.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8563 on: November 26, 2019, 06:48:40 pm »
Do not cross post. It will not get you anything other than attention of the moderators.

Offline tsmith35

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8564 on: November 27, 2019, 12:26:57 am »
If anyone knows where you can download a dump file for NAND flash Flir E4, please give a link. Maybe someone can copy the dump file from their Flir E4, please do it.
See this post

Offline lou

« Reply #8565 on: November 28, 2019, 07:20:36 pm »
Hello,
  I need to send my unit in for service.  One of the navigation buttons on the pad is bad.  I did the changes in 2015 and I am not sure how to revert.  I have a full back up from the camera that I transferred using fzilla.  Is it just as easy as copying the files back or am I missing something?

Lou

EDIT***  I was able to figure it out. I just swapped the original 2 files back to their original locations and all was well.  Files were CONF.CFC  and COMMON_DLL.dll.  I did not have the menu hack.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 07:45:01 pm by lou »

Offline agiorgitis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8566 on: November 29, 2019, 12:40:05 pm »
Hi guys,

I'm posting it here too (in case someone has missed this thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e75-upgrade-to-e95/ )

Is anyone interested on decrypting the conf.cfc files of an E75, the same way it was done for E4?

Offline Marekx89

• Contributor
« Reply #8567 on: January 06, 2020, 02:13:21 pm »
Hello, i'm new on forum. I have a question about Resolution and Menu hack.
I have a MODEL: E6 2.0L
S/N : 639027397
Part Number : 63902-0202
Software 3.16.0

Is possible hack to E8 ? The menu on the video I would like, exactly the same. It is possible ? Video
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP8R7FRYU0k
Thanks

Offline dreamstar

« Reply #8568 on: February 02, 2020, 05:04:52 pm »
I have E5 HW 1.2L SW 2.3.0 hacked with instructions from this thread.
All seems ok, but i have noticed that after flash memory filled for about 50 Mb (from 175 mb total) E5 cannot see memory card, sometimes show green screen or white and black boxes.

What latest firmware I can try to use with HW 1.2L?

Offline vinvin3128

« Reply #8569 on: February 18, 2020, 01:56:22 am »
I own a E4, and i found that the temperature measuring rate is too constant. What can i do to capture a more stable temperature? Maybe 1 second for once measurement? Besides, any method to set an alert of above temperature with sound? Thank you very much.

Offline sungwoo

« Reply #8570 on: February 18, 2020, 12:34:53 pm »
hello
I have a problem.
i have a FLIR E5 1.2L v3.16.0.
This is what I saw.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg1397359/#msg1397359  Basic_3.12.0.zip
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg2252082/#msg2252082   commondll 3.16
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg1411369/#msg1411369   
Flir E4 1.21 and 1.22 Resolution and Menu Hack

commondll 3.16 Is the commondll file a resolution file?
Does it work as it should in conf.cfg?
 what is # CRC03 11223344
Everything is mixed up.
can not understand.
Please help me. Thank you.

I tried everything but it doesn't apply.

https://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/   

Created by Bud
Liberating FLIR E4 WiFi ver 3.12.0

'====================================================================================

Tools required:
   + FTP program (e.g. WinSCP)
   + Telnet program (e.g. Putty)
    + Python v2.7
   + FLIR Device Drivers software, if not using WiFI and using USB connection

1. Switch camera to RNDIS using USB connection or configure WiFi and connect to the camera with FTP.
   tip: to find out the camera WiFi DHCP IP address, run a Ping from your computer command prompt:

ping IRCAMxxxx

(replace xxxx with last 4 digits of your camera serial number)

If you do not use camera's WiFi for whatever reason, you can install FLIR Device Drivers and connect to the camera via USB in RNDIS mode.
   The camera IP address in that mode is 192.168.0.2
   Procedure how to switch camera to RNDIS is out of scope of this writing.

Use the following credentials for FTP login to the camera:

user: flir
pass: 3vlig

2. Make a full backup of the camera to the local computer hard drive. Some files can't be copied but they will not be required to fully restore the firmware, so you can skip them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Obtain the camera SUID. Use one of the following methods   Obtain the camera
   3.1 Open this file in the backup archive or on the camera:

FlashIFS\version.rsc
   copy the SUID (found at the beginning of the file) and save to your working folder

3.2. Connect to the camera with Telnet
   user:flir
   pass: 3vlig

and run the following command from Telnet command prompt:

"suid                                                                               

it will return the SUID string, copy/save it to your working folder."

4. Obtain cfccfg.zip archive:
   https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg596959/#msg596959
   and extract cfccfg_V2.py from it.

5. Install Python 2.7 . The script may not work with later Python versions.

6. Open the supplied conf.cfg , scroll down to the very bottom to the line that starts with "# ID " and replace the 9-digit number with your camera serial number.
   Save the file.

7. Encrypt the updated conf.cfg from step 6 with your suid by running this command from command line on your PC with Python:

python cfccfg_v2.py XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX conf.cfg conf.cfc
                    (where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is the suid string from step 3)

This step will produce a new encrypted conf.cfc .Save it to your working folder for transferring to the camera.   

8. Double check to make sure you have made a backup of the original camera files (see step 2) !!!

9. With Telnet and FTP connected:
   a) In Telnet enter this command:

stopapp   

b) Using FTP program rename FlashBFS\system\common_dll.dll on the camera to common_dll_org.dll

10. Transfer the new common_dll.dll from the working folder to the camera -> FlashBFS\system\
11. Disconnect FTP program and power off the camera by press/hold the power button for 6 seconds
12. Power on the camera and cross you fingers. If it boot normally, it is good news. Skip step 13 and go to step 14
13. If the camera stuck in FLIR logo or in blank dark screen, things did not work for you well and you will have perform recovery procedure
14. If the camera started normally with the new common_dll, connect using FTP and transfer the new conf.cfc ->FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\
15. Shut down the camera by holding the power button for 6 sec. Remove the battery for a few second and insert it back.
    Power on the camera and see if you now have 320x240 resolution working. If not, chances are you did something wrong with the conf file. Double check the
   procedure to create and encrypt the conf file with your SUID and replace it on the camera again.
16. Assuming res mod was successful, transfer the rest of the files in FTP program replacing old versions where required

pallette files (.pal)         -> FlashBFS\system
   ui_control.rsc            -> FlashBFS\system\appcore.d\factory.d\
   design_ui.xml            -> FlashBFS\system\ui.d\
   toolbar-config.xml         -> FlashBFS\system\ui.d\
   facet.rcc            -> FlashBFS\system\ui.d\
   preset files (preset_*.rsc)      -> FlashBFS\system\ui.d\presets.d\
   battery_frame.bmp         -> FlashBFS\system\battery.icons\
   flash_graybackground.bmp      -> FlashBFS\system\battery.icons\

17. Shut down the camera by press and hold the power button for 6 sec. Remove the battery for a few second and insert it back.
    Reboot the camera and check/browse the enhanced menu, new palettes, and new settings.

If all looking good, enjoy your Liberated E4 v3.12.0 !
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 03:43:05 pm by sungwoo »

Offline sungwoo

« Reply #8571 on: February 20, 2020, 11:58:42 am »
I tried everything again.
The resolution is intact. The remaining functions do not work.
Is it because I didn't use crc03 in the conf.cfg file?
Where is the problem?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows troubleshooting.
If you need help, I will help you.

Do you know why you don't have the flir logo at the bottom of the screen?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 03:02:11 pm by sungwoo »

Offline ewizard

• Contributor
« Reply #8572 on: February 26, 2020, 01:03:08 am »
Hi, I am new to this thread. Keeping this short, I am looking to buy a thermal imaging camera (Electrician and home use).
I have contacted a craigslist ad for an e5 300$,

"Flir E5 thermal camera Have a thermal camera doesnt turn on , needs to be serviced. I dont need it anymore selling it for cheap as I have no time to get it fixed hoping someone would do it if interested."
and he says in a text
"No (I asked if he knows what wrong).. but it was not dropped. It charges and u can download pictures from it. I was told it might have a lock on it."

Is there any chance this is a bricked device or the chance that it is irreparable and not worth the risk?

I have hacked many things in my life, and am not new to this type of thing. But I have not read enough or found information on the issue described.

Very much appreciate any views on this, and will not have my feelings hurt by telling me that its stupid to chance buying it.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8573 on: February 26, 2020, 03:57:23 pm »
You'd need to know if it is possible to Telnet to the camera while it is switched off.
Also, what does it mean "camera doesnt turn on". Is it it does not react on pressing the power button, or does is get stuck on the boot at some point. Does the screen come on or screen backlight come on.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 04:01:39 pm by Bud »

The following users thanked this post: ewizard

Offline ewizard

• Contributor
« Reply #8574 on: February 26, 2020, 11:11:09 pm »
Thank you for your reply.

He said that it has not been updated. He says it shows charging, but won't turn on.

At this point it seems its probably malfunctioning, but I don't know if this is a known issue. Possibly a firmware issue? A battery issue? Or more than likely a circuit board issue.

Im not really willing to shell out money to send to flir for repair, but I keep playing in my head getting it to work for now 250$ CAD.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf