Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769077 times)

Offline comtec

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8600 on: March 10, 2020, 11:55:48 am »
I have  a pre modded E4 1.1L sw 1.22 software for some time now, finding kids when playing hide and seek is much better for it :-)

It works OK but cannot get images off the camera using flir tools 'failed to initialise camera'.

Can somebody advise how and if safe to update to later version and remod it, and i guess a few extra features too..

I do not have virgin backup files.

I've read quite a few of the posts here but the thread is immense !!

Thanks

Offline sungwoo

« Reply #8601 on: March 12, 2020, 03:38:55 pm »
A strange phenomenon was discovered while using it.
https://youtu.be/yo_cvvdPoc0
https://youtu.be/32T0qMixajM
The power button does not turn off at once.
After power on. It turns off
The screen shakes when the battery is low.
FLIR E5 1.2L v3.16.0
I hacked it last time.
What's wrong?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 03:48:29 pm by sungwoo »

Offline comtec

« Reply #8602 on: March 12, 2020, 09:55:37 pm »
Upgraded 1.22 to 3.16 using FLIR tools, all went well and resolution and menu hacks still present.. that was a surprise..

Offline likuidphreon

• Contributor
« Reply #8603 on: March 18, 2020, 05:10:54 pm »
Having spent a lot of time reading and searching, I am trying to determine the upgrade path for my E4 1.2L 3.12 camera. I see solutions for v 2.0 hardware, but I am not finding it for 1.2. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8604 on: March 18, 2020, 11:20:09 pm »
Does the latest hardware still stream 320x240@60 like in Mikes original video? or has Flir noticed this and dropped the frame rate on newer sensor hardware?

Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8605 on: March 19, 2020, 12:55:16 am »
AFAIK E4 never did that. I recall Mike got an indication by probing around that the sensor seemed to output a higher frame rate but it was not user accessible.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #8606 on: April 23, 2020, 03:25:26 pm »
Upgraded 1.22 to 3.16 using FLIR tools, all went well and resolution and menu hacks still present.. that was a surprise..

did you experience the random crashing at times before the update and did it help after?

Offline totalgearhead

« Reply #8607 on: May 09, 2020, 09:36:54 pm »
I wasnt sure to start new thread or ask in this one? My E6 is stuck at the spash screen, I cannot connect to it? I Tried copying files to the directory, but they erase and 2 error files return? Struggling for help here. thanks.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:28:16 am by totalgearhead »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8608 on: May 09, 2020, 10:22:48 pm »
Have you used a PC to format the picture storage flash drive ? This is known to cause this problem. In the scenario, it is a return to FLIR job for firmware rebuild.

If the unit is still under warranty you can resort to returning it to FLIR for repair if no other solutions are forthcoming from this forum.

Fraser
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 10:27:24 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8609 on: May 10, 2020, 11:05:50 am »
If you killed the camera with a format, it is, in my humble opinion, a failure in the cameras design and so I would approach a FLIR with a claim that the camera has a design fault enabling the user to innocently brick it. Unless there is a large print warning about not formatting the flash drive with a PC, I see FLIR as being culpable. Forget warranty.... go for good will and ask a FLIR to repair your camera as this is not acceptable in such an expensive product. Basically try shaming them into repairing it. I certainly would. If you are polite but firm, they may come to the party or at least offer a reduced repair cost. Audi paid  the cost of a new exhaust system that I had fitted as it had not lasted as long as they expected. (They paid half the cost of new front brake discs that warped for the same reason). It was a stainless steel exhaust system and my car was 3 years old. A product should last a reasonable period of time and be free of design defects that can put it beyond use within a reasonable period of time.

You have nothing to lose.

By the way, the part numbers and serial numbers you are seeing are likely those of the main board and microbolometer and not the camera. FLIR always store the various modules details in their cameras.

Good luck and I hope FLIR help you.

Fraser
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:10:22 am by Fraser »

Offline totalgearhead

« Reply #8610 on: May 10, 2020, 01:17:17 pm »
thanks for the advice Fraser, I have logged a request with the local FLIR office. Lets see what heppens, I will let you know.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8611 on: May 10, 2020, 01:52:26 pm »
I have always had very good experiences with the Canadian FLIR service centre.

I hope they help you.

Fraser

Offline parkwood151

« Reply #8612 on: May 13, 2020, 02:53:34 pm »
Hey folks, I'm a long time lurker but first time poster.

I purchased an E4 a few months ago, but prior to purchasing I had come across the ability to hack it, and this thread.  I read through the whole thing, finally picked up an E4, used it for awhile, and then decided I wanted to "upgrade it".  I read through the thread again (took awhile), located the files I needed, and sat down to start, and got stuck pretty quick.  I'm hoping somebody can help. 

I have an E4 1.2L, running 2.3.0

Using FlirInstallNet, I tried to put my camera into RNDIS mode, the temporary file didn't seem to work, so I tried the permanent one.  I'm in RNDIS mode now, I think, but when I open FlirInstallNet again the IP address is 169.254.199.115, not the expected 192.168.0.2.  In network connections there is a connection with the mentioned IP address, and its called FLIR Camera Network Device #2.  However, I can't FTP into it, and when I try to run the remove RNDIS FIF file, all I get is a connection timeout error. 

Thoughts?

Thanks so much in advance
~Jeff

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8613 on: May 14, 2020, 02:31:14 am »
Get a computer or VM with Windows XP. It always works fine with Flir drivers. Win 7 or 10 not always do and are hit and miss.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline mct75

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8614 on: May 20, 2020, 09:55:47 pm »
Hi everyone!  4 Years ago I bought a used E4 non-wifi off Amazon that had been partially hacked and left with the "ring of crap."  With some help here I was able to update it from 2.3 to 2.11 and fixed the RoC, kept the resolution, but lost all the advanced menu options.  I've been bored on lockdown and I'm thinking about trying to get the menu hacks working.

A few questions:

• Is there a better/newer firmware than 2.11 for modding?
  • Would it be possible/safe to fully revert the camera to original E4 specs to make the hack easier?
  • Aside from the original conf files and SUID, are there any files I should back up before tampering with the camera?  Any gotchas to watch out for?

Thanks!

Offline Macta

« Reply #8615 on: June 06, 2020, 06:22:25 pm »
Hi,

I bought a i3 and try to hack the i3 to the i7 with the instructions from a pdf I found here on the forum.

I installed the Drivers, Notepad++, Total Comander, etc..

hut I have problems getting in to the i3 whit this instuctions:
15. Now start the Total Commander app.
a. b. c. d. e. f. g. h.
Press ‘Net’ on top menu bar & select ‘FTP Connect...’ from the drop menu Press ‘New connection’
Name the new connection (Session) e.g.: flir Enter host name: 192.168.0.2
Enter user name: flir
Enter password: 3vlig
Select (checkbox) ‘Use passive mode for transfers (like a WWW browser)’ The ‘OK’ to save.

I get a connection fault from commander?

Can someone help please?

Thanks!
M.

Offline Macta

« Reply #8616 on: June 06, 2020, 09:07:26 pm »
I found it!

instead of  192.168.0.2 I tried different numbers and  192.168.2.2 got me in the camera.

:-+

I followed the rest of the instructions and got the camera working again, though the 'menu' has changed the firmware still says i3, is this correct? (I don't see improvement in the camera.. )
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:22:24 pm by Macta »

Offline Macta

« Reply #8617 on: June 10, 2020, 10:06:14 pm »
Fully working i7 now - just had to reset it again  :)

The following users thanked this post: zinom

Offline zinom

« Reply #8618 on: October 14, 2020, 01:35:13 am »
HI!
After following all instructions to hack my i3 Flir to i7, i really had the new menu as described but captured images are still telling 60x60 IR resolution in FLIR Tools. It should change also in that infor right? Maybe i did something wrong in during the hacking? Can anyone help? Thanks!

Offline zinom

« Reply #8619 on: October 14, 2020, 01:48:33 am »
Fully working i7 now - just had to reset it again  :)

Is that. You should reset, turn on and then reset again. After the second reset you can see the difference in camera resolution. If you open FLIR Tools, you can see in EXIF the resolution is no longer 60x60 but is in my case 120x120 :D
THANKS!

Offline f14

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8620 on: October 23, 2020, 02:19:38 pm »
I have old Flir T200 resolution 200x150. possible to hack it ? :-//

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8621 on: October 23, 2020, 03:10:43 pm »
You need to look at Mike’s first post on this thread and read about the upgrade to the early E4 cameras that used firmware 1.18 and 1.19. Use the knowledge gained in that research to attempt access to your T200 file system. Then see if the configuration files exist and look the same as those if the E4. If the configuration files look similar then you can try changing settings to enable full functionality. Remember to make back ups of all files on the camera. Some system files will fail copying but that is normal as they are in use.

Fraser

The following users thanked this post: f14

Offline Mkpirulo

« Reply #8622 on: November 04, 2020, 12:58:52 am »
I have a Flir E4 1.1L with FW1.22 and a Win10 PC. Planning on using DaveWB instructions for FW1.22 at reply #4476

My question is simple can the latest Flir RNDIS drivers (via the eevblog links) by used to connect to my camera, or do I need an older version? When my camera is connected I get a pop up stating that the ThermaCam is being configured(at this point I disconnect the camera), is this something to be worried about. Is this some kind of counter measure from Flir or just a normal connection being made. I've searched and cant seem to find anything on what to expect during the connection. The only link that came close was JOE-C (jch) he stated the following:   The web interface ( http://192.168.0.2/ ) can be called up when the camera is connected in RNDIS mode.
Up to firmware 1.19.8 the web interface can be seen on the left. As of firmware 1.21.0, the web interface has been greatly decimated, but precautions have also been taken elsewhere against the extensions.Not really sure what the underlined sections is trying to say.

It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction, I don't mind searching.

One last thing, I tried down loading the file to my XP machine with no luck, seems that I would need the older version of the driver file(RNDIS) for this system to work.

Also wanted to thank all of the contributors for their hours and hours of time that they have spent on this topic, its much appreciated.

Offline jam123

« Reply #8623 on: December 13, 2020, 06:52:47 pm »
Hi folks,
I got a used FLIR E6 (1.2L / Firmware 2.3.0).
I have read now the complete blog but didn´t find an answer to the question if I can fix the E6 with the resolution hack.  :-\
First I tryed was the menu hack. That works perfectly - thanks to you all :)
After that I tried to manage the resolution hack. But I´m absouktely not sure which hack I have to use because everytime there was especially a solution for the E4.

Can anyone tell me where I can find tj files for the resolution hack on my E6?

Best regards from Germany :)
Chris

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8624 on: December 13, 2020, 07:40:17 pm »
For your version of hardware and firmware, just follow the upgrade process for an E4 running firmware 2.3.

It is only the latest firmwares that need Bud’s upgrade files that are camera model sensitive. Firmware 2.3 thankfully is less well protected.

Fraser

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf