Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
256 (27%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
436 (46%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
46 (4.9%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
47 (5%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
162 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 781

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 2962498 times)

Offline SpottedDick

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8650 on: February 27, 2021, 03:35:48 pm »
Sorry to bring up an old post, but Daves application here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Does anyone know if this was continued on by anyone, or if the source code is available?

I have a Flir one, and I was ready to return it due to software limitations making it useless, but Daves application is so close to making the thing useful without shelling out £400 for the Flir Tool pro, that I'm really on the fence.

If I could get my hands on that source code, I might be able to make this thing useful for photographing electronics.

As a side question, does anyone know if the thermal data stored is the raw values from the thermal sensor (like can be seen with the Android app Thermal Camera +) or if it's massaged and averaged, like you see when you try to view it in Flir Tools.

Thanks

EDIT: As soon as I posted this, I noticed the thermalVision_JoeC software that is able to process the images, so this can be ignored!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 04:56:29 pm by SpottedDick »

Offline Sir_Thomas_TMC

« Reply #8651 on: Yesterday at 02:25:27 pm »
Hello,

I am thinking about upgrading my
E4 2.0L (I do not know whether it is wifi or not, but as I do not find any note about wifi, I think it is not)
Firmeware 3.16.0

But, I am really confused which thread is the one to follow on doing this. As there are a lot of threads refering to versions lower. I read a couple of pages (found e.g. s.th about christmas package) but I did not find (even with searching for "3.16") a thread on how exactly to do this upgrade. Maybe one of you could help me on linking to a suitable thread or give me a clue on the correct search strings.

And the first I would want to do, is a backup of the original files. I hope this is also explained somewhere for a beginner.

Thanks in advance

Thomas

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8652 on: Today at 01:36:43 am »
But, I am really confused which thread is the one to follow on doing this...
...I did not find (even with searching for "3.16") a thread on how exactly to do this upgrade.

You should really be posted in the other thread, this is the teardown thread.

I had this exact issue, I spend ages looking for the full instructions on the forum. I expected that would tell me how to do it and what files I needed to download. Then I discovered all the instructions are inside the zip files.

When I did the mod to my 3.16 E4 I started with the basic package 3.9.0 and followed the instructions in it. When you get to the part about the DLL you use the v3.16 DLL.   Once that was done and working I applied the V3.9.0 Advanced package which also includes instructions in the zip file. I didn't bother with Christmas package because it didn't add anything I cared about.

This is the key post.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg1336326/#msg1336326

« Last Edit: Today at 02:00:46 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: Sir_Thomas_TMC

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf