Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
261 (27.4%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
436 (45.8%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
47 (4.9%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
47 (4.9%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
162 (17%)

Total Members Voted: 787

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3064243 times)

Offline SpottedDick

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8650 on: February 27, 2021, 03:35:48 pm »
Sorry to bring up an old post, but Daves application here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Does anyone know if this was continued on by anyone, or if the source code is available?

I have a Flir one, and I was ready to return it due to software limitations making it useless, but Daves application is so close to making the thing useful without shelling out £400 for the Flir Tool pro, that I'm really on the fence.

If I could get my hands on that source code, I might be able to make this thing useful for photographing electronics.

As a side question, does anyone know if the thermal data stored is the raw values from the thermal sensor (like can be seen with the Android app Thermal Camera +) or if it's massaged and averaged, like you see when you try to view it in Flir Tools.

Thanks

EDIT: As soon as I posted this, I noticed the thermalVision_JoeC software that is able to process the images, so this can be ignored!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 04:56:29 pm by SpottedDick »

Offline Sir_Thomas_TMC

« Reply #8651 on: March 04, 2021, 02:25:27 pm »
Hello,

I am thinking about upgrading my
E4 2.0L (I do not know whether it is wifi or not, but as I do not find any note about wifi, I think it is not)
Firmeware 3.16.0

But, I am really confused which thread is the one to follow on doing this. As there are a lot of threads refering to versions lower. I read a couple of pages (found e.g. s.th about christmas package) but I did not find (even with searching for "3.16") a thread on how exactly to do this upgrade. Maybe one of you could help me on linking to a suitable thread or give me a clue on the correct search strings.

And the first I would want to do, is a backup of the original files. I hope this is also explained somewhere for a beginner.

Thanks in advance

Thomas

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8652 on: March 05, 2021, 01:36:43 am »
But, I am really confused which thread is the one to follow on doing this...
...I did not find (even with searching for "3.16") a thread on how exactly to do this upgrade.

You should really be posted in the other thread, this is the teardown thread.

I had this exact issue, I spend ages looking for the full instructions on the forum. I expected that would tell me how to do it and what files I needed to download. Then I discovered all the instructions are inside the zip files.

When I did the mod to my 3.16 E4 I started with the basic package 3.9.0 and followed the instructions in it. When you get to the part about the DLL you use the v3.16 DLL.   Once that was done and working I applied the V3.9.0 Advanced package which also includes instructions in the zip file. I didn't bother with Christmas package because it didn't add anything I cared about.

This is the key post.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg1336326/#msg1336326

« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:00:46 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

The following users thanked this post: KD0CAC John, Sir_Thomas_TMC

Offline Ben321

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8653 on: March 20, 2021, 05:21:45 am »

Anybody managed to get a hack for V2.8 yet?

The V2.8 cannot be hacked, but once you downgrade it to 2.3, it can be done: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg839561/#msg839561

Doesn't the downgrade to 2.3 require a hack to perform the downgrade? Aren't these usually locked into only accepting updated firmware, and reject any attempt to downgrade the firmware?

Offline adam3914

« Reply #8654 on: May 14, 2021, 04:06:46 pm »
Try the following

on the computer create a file called camera.cmd
type just one word into the file:  restart
save and close the file
ZIP the file
rename .zip to .fif
run the fif file in FlirInstallNet

Thank you, I recently purchased a e4 wifi on ebay with a broken power button, and this worked wonderfully, allowed me to do the resolution upgrade and everything.  Was even easier than using the power button to restart the camera.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8655 on: May 15, 2021, 04:07:39 am »
Great, enjoy your camera  :-+
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline twam

• Supporter
    • twam.info
« Reply #8656 on: June 11, 2021, 12:58:02 pm »
BTW, the new E4 without Wifi's (63901-0101) S/N is 9 digits, non the older modle is 8 digits.

I got one of those old E4 and will now try to liberate with 3.16.

The README from Bud says

1. Open the supplied conf.cfg , scroll down to the very bottom to the line that starts with "# ID " and replace the 9-digit number with your camera serial number.
Is a problem if the serial is 8 digits?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8657 on: June 11, 2021, 08:18:44 pm »
Just use your camera serial number.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: twam

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #8658 on: July 01, 2021, 12:16:48 pm »
Didn't think I needed to make a new thread for this so I just decided to add it here.

I always had an issue with my E4 always shutting off when you move or accidentally bump the battery.
Opened the unit and bent the spring terminals for better contact and it worked for a few months without issue.

Finally got tired of it and opened my unit again and added a 3300uF 10V cap parallel to the battery terminals going into the main board. Red wire is positive, black is negative. I doubted my meter and sanity a bit as the contact board had the ground plane connected to batt positive. I could have used a smaller value but I had a few of those caps sitting in the bin and never tested the "minimum useable value". Fortunately, there is plenty of room behind the LCD so the cap is double adhesive taped and zip tied to the alloy frame.

Worked pretty well so far, Problem solved.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8659 on: July 01, 2021, 01:22:53 pm »
It is worth cleaning the contacts on the battery and camera with IPA. I found that some batteries (not all) seemed to suffer from a mild surface contamination/oxidation(?) of the ‘gold’ contacts. I never investigated the cause but it could have been outgassing from the Lithium cell (doubtful), an issue with the plating used on the battery terminals or plasticiser leakage out of the plastic battery casing parts. The batteries were always kept either in the camera or it’s hard transit case. The contamination could become so bad that a battery would not charge until the contacts were cleaned. Abrasives should not be used on the contacts as that will damage the plating.

Fraser
Cogito, ergo sum

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #8660 on: July 01, 2021, 02:52:10 pm »
I used to clean it often and got tired of it. I also tried dielectric grease to keep it from oxidizing which worked for a while. It is quite humid where I'm from so that could also be a reason. But I never had it get to the point that it did not charge due to oxidation, only the intermittent issue when bumping the battery bottom.

Offline salvagedcircuitry

• Regular Contributor
  • Electrical Engineer | Hobbyist | Camera Enthusiast
    • salvagedcircuitry
« Reply #8661 on: July 09, 2021, 06:52:40 am »
Hi!

Can someone help with pictures of that plastic part which press button when trigger is pressed? Some dimensions would also help. I need to recreate it  :(

Looking for this too!
I just picked up a broken flir e4 and this part was missing. It is the trigger button lever arm. It looks like a flexure ABS or PET plastic lever arm. I plan on whittling a mock-up button lever out of a hot glue stick then transferring the design to a piece of UHMW plastic.

If anyone could post a photo of the lever next to a ruler that would be most excellent. Thanks a ton!

« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 06:57:46 am by salvagedcircuitry »
SalvagedCircuitry
www.salvagedcircuitry.com

Offline alset

« Reply #8662 on: July 11, 2021, 10:42:19 am »
Hello dear colleagues, I need your  expert help on how to hack modify Flir B200 . 
Best regars and many thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf