Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769542 times)

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8150 on: February 14, 2017, 03:49:55 pm »
Error happens normally at lease once after the hack - no worries.

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8151 on: February 17, 2017, 05:50:54 pm »
Did anyone notice the E4 was now replaced with E4 Wifi?

https://www.tequipment.net/FLIR/E4-WiFi/

Wonder if it can still be upgraded just fine or if they put lepton cores in these

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8152 on: February 18, 2017, 01:54:19 pm »
no Lepton sensor, it's the same sensor and the same awful fragile USB connector with corresponding lid |O

Offline sky@eevblog

• Contributor
« Reply #8153 on: February 20, 2017, 07:28:27 am »
yes. but now it is possible not to use it at all - charge battery in external charger and communicate with camera over wifi.

Offline matmoe

• Contributor
« Reply #8154 on: February 20, 2017, 08:02:58 pm »
The old 2.3 Firmware upload was deleted. Here is the new Link:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=01657556357711631689

Offline tmushy

« Reply #8155 on: February 23, 2017, 03:13:47 am »
Anyone have an update if the wifi model can be hacked? Going to take the plunge but just want to hear some confirmation

Thank you

Offline RAWebb

• Contributor
« Reply #8156 on: February 26, 2017, 09:52:59 am »
@thomas123
no Lepton sensor, it's the same sensor and the same awful fragile USB connector with corresponding lid

There's help for that, at least if you have access to a 3D printer. This http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:290354 drops right into the lid cavity and holds it open so that it doesn't push against the USB cable. (It was also just about the first thing that I designed and printed. My printing technique has improved somewhat since then...)

Offline AlainL

« Reply #8157 on: February 27, 2017, 09:18:09 am »
@thomas123
no Lepton sensor, it's the same sensor and the same awful fragile USB connector with corresponding lid

There's help for that, at least if you have access to a 3D printer. This http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:290354 drops right into the lid cavity and holds it open so that it doesn't push against the USB cable. (It was also just about the first thing that I designed and printed. My printing technique has improved somewhat since then...)
A simple solution is to use a left/right angled usb cable. It works very well.

Offline plurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8158 on: February 27, 2017, 01:05:36 pm »
@thomas123

A simple solution is to use a left/right angled usb cable. It works very well.

I use the included usb cable, but I run a small length of the cable right along the inside of the lid hinge (it fits in there well and is held in by the rectangular protrusion under the lid) and that holds up the lid avoiding putting stress on the small usb connector. There might be a little more pressure on the cable along the hinge but nothing to too harsh - and the cable is easily replaceable if needed.

I guess you could also jam something else of a similar shape in that hinge if you didn't want the risk of causing damage to the usb cable.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:14:28 pm by plurn »

The following users thanked this post: stefbeer

Offline BOGET

• Contributor
« Reply #8159 on: March 01, 2017, 08:56:47 am »
Hi guys,

I got a bad situation on my E4 downgrade to FW 1.18.7,  :palm:

What did I encounter problems show as below:

1. An Original FW 2.3.0 E4 Downgrade to 1.18.7

2. While the process almost done, it stuck on 75%, never keep going even a little bit.

3. I forcibly restart it, but it just load into the FLIR logo and do nothing.   |O

I guess any newer FW downgrade to FW 1.18.7 will have some problem.

So I sent it back FLIR for repair, after arrived five days, FLIR give me a quotation,

It ask for 400 dollars for repair..., yeah, it's 400! If you change your mind,

you need to pay 500 bucks for them without repair.  >:(

:wtf: , this price I almost can buy another E4.

---------------- return back -----------------

After I paid for repair, and wait for more then two weeks, when I recived it, I found the FW is 2.5.0 (I never saw it before, picture in attachments), and unhackable.

Fortunately, I had backup all the original 2.3.0 data file before.   :phew:

So I replace all of them via Filezilla, I hack it back to 2.3.0 finally.   :-+

Oh, like a nightmare for me. 

Do not downgrade any FW to 1.18.7, or you wallet will such like a leaky water bottle.   :--
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 09:07:23 am by BOGET »

Offline jmaja

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8160 on: March 01, 2017, 09:09:21 am »
Do not downgrade any FW to 1.18.7, or you wallet will such like a leaky water bottle.   :--

Why would someone want to downgrade to 1.18.7 (or any other older FW)?

Offline BOGET

• Contributor
« Reply #8161 on: March 01, 2017, 09:19:41 am »
Cause I hear about the earlier FW can immediate change the calibration parameters even S/N on unlock web(192.168.0.2) without via Filezilla.  :popcorn:

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8162 on: March 01, 2017, 11:22:25 am »
There is a problem with this monster thread.......

It is a victim of its success as was predicted by myself and others years ago :(

This thread is literally packed with invaluable information but it is so large that many people do not read it in its entirety. It can also be hard to data mine it unless you choose the very best terms on which to search. Many posts contain very important information that is literally buried in the 'noise'.

I feel for this chap who bricked his E4 by downgrading to 1.18.x. I have been engaged in this thread since the beginning and I remember other E4 owners bad experiences when downgrading late models to early firmwares. Such information could have saved this chap $400 :(

It is well known amongst those familiar with the E4 versions that the 2.x firmwares are configured very differently to the 1.xx firmwares and the calibration tables are vulnerable if an attempt is made to downgrade from 2.xx to 1.xx firmware. The later cameras also use a later Hardware revision that early firmwares do not know about. A recipe for disaster as has been detailed here. This warning is to be found somewhere in this long thread !

I started the FLIR E4 useful information thread a few years ago. It has fallen into disuse now. I was trying to pull out the most important facts about the FLIR E4 but not specifically the hacking of its configuration. This teardown thread has grown massively over the years. It would be great to have a new thread that pulls together all the 'hacking' related information for people to read but that would take a lot of someone's time.

For now, I advise newbies to read this whole thread and to be certain that they know what they are doing. If you get it wrong you can brick your camera good and proper !

Regarding FLIR's repair quote...... hacking related repairs are not covered under the warranty (no surprises there) . FLIR operate a fixed price repair system. For simple repairs the fee is $400 in the USA or £400 in the UK.
Kind of makes my basic rate thermal camera repairs at £50 to £100 look like a bargain :)

More extensive repairs like a new sensor or core cost a small fortune and are often more than the camera is worth.

FLIR are a large industrial OEM and they charge eye watering repair fees to cover their service centre costs etc. This is not at all unusual in industry but consumer market buyers are often unaware of the high fixed fee system that is used.

Do not mess with your E4 unless you are confident you know what you are doing !

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:35:40 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

The following users thanked this post: stefbeer

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8163 on: March 01, 2017, 06:10:40 pm »
is there a difinitive guide ? I have followed links but found that they are out of date, I have a 2.11.0 firmware.

Offline jrj89

« Reply #8164 on: March 04, 2017, 01:05:08 am »
Any info if this will work on the new WiFi model as the original E4 is being replaced w/ the wifi version?

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8165 on: March 04, 2017, 06:30:37 am »
is there a difinitive guide ? I have followed links but found that they are out of date, I have a 2.11.0 firmware.

See the first link in the first post of the thread!

Any info if this will work on the new WiFi model as the original E4 is being replaced w/ the wifi version?

No one knows yet  :(

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8166 on: March 04, 2017, 06:42:44 pm »
To find out if the latest version of the E4 may be upgraded, someone has to risk their money buying one. Personally I would buy the older E4 model whilst stocks last and are possibly discounted  ;)

The latest 2017 Exx series releases apparently run Linux and have a heavily encrypted configuration to prevent models being upgraded. It is not beyond possibility that the Ex series 2017 release does similar. When producing a new model release, it seems common sense to better protect it.

Fraser
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 06:45:42 pm by Fraser »

Offline EddieW

« Reply #8167 on: March 05, 2017, 06:31:52 pm »
Today my new E4 with v2.11 upgraded (resolution and menu).
Works with W10/64bit PC.
Thanks all for the info.  :-+

Offline ixfd64

• Frequent Contributor
    • Facebook
« Reply #8168 on: March 05, 2017, 08:24:17 pm »
The latest 2017 Exx series releases apparently run Linux and have a heavily encrypted configuration to prevent models being upgraded. It is not beyond possibility that the Ex series 2017 release does similar. When producing a new model release, it seems common sense to better protect it.

I highly doubt it'll never be hacked. A lot of devices are said to be extremely secure, yet they still end up getting rooted or jailbroken. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case for FLIR products. Even if the firmware is fully locked down, hardware mods should still be possible. Case in point: Xbox modchips.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:23:38 pm by ixfd64 »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8169 on: March 05, 2017, 10:50:39 pm »
Effort Vs Reward ;)

Offline jmaja

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8170 on: March 06, 2017, 07:01:26 am »
Effort Vs Reward ;)

Yes! For E4 -> E8 the change was really big in performance and price. Also E4 was not that expensive. Hard to see so many trying to hack E75 to E95.

What is the consensus about hacked E4 vs. a real E8? Are they equal or do E8 have selected better quality sensors?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8171 on: March 06, 2017, 09:14:00 am »
E8 is not a superior sensor. Configuration differences only.

E4 is upgraded to a configuration more capable than the E8 ! More menu options and noise generator switched off. Official E8 still has the artificial noise generator running.

Fraser

Offline mikhail076

• Contributor
« Reply #8172 on: March 07, 2017, 10:20:27 am »
I have 1.22 origin camera updated to 2.3. Hardware version 1.1
Did res hack by using 1.22 conf.cfc but menu hack did not.
i found that issue is in facet.rcc, design_ui, toolbar-config and presets files.
camera hangs when i try to use menu update files from 1.22 or 2.3 menu hack.
may i need a combination of these files?
can anybody help me pls?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8173 on: March 07, 2017, 02:02:51 pm »
The update package from user janekivi included all necessary stuff for 2.3.0, though i do not know if it works for cameras upgraded from lower firmware versions.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline DaveWB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8174 on: March 08, 2017, 06:26:58 am »
I have an E4 Wifi on order, it is expected to ship 3/30. Does anyone have more information on the 2.5 firmware previously mentioned? When I receive the camera would anyone be interested in taking a look at the files though a program like teamviewer? Or I could upload them if you let me know which files to upload.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf