Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769243 times)

Bud and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8200 on: April 12, 2017, 06:23:11 pm »
They haven't been able to crack it yet. It's unlikely that it will be 2.0 as that is for the Wi-Fi model.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8201 on: April 12, 2017, 06:58:09 pm »
@ollihd,

Please be aware that the FLIR warranty applies to the original purchaser and requires the original purchase receipt from an approved FLIR agent.

FLIR may repair it for you as a goodwill gesture, but please do not be surprised if they ask for a receipt and wish to charge you the repair cost if you do not have such.

Vertical lines are very bad news as that can be microbolometer  column failure. The microbolometer is supported by a 10 year warranty. This may work in your favour as there can be no doubt that the part is still less than 10 years old.

I suggest you carefully craft an email to FLIR customer services and ensure you mention that the microbolometer appears to have a fault.

Good luck  :-+

Best Wishes

Fraser
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:05:12 pm by Fraser »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline ollihd

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #8202 on: April 12, 2017, 07:09:32 pm »
@Fraser

Thanks for the tips! I will for sure do it like this. I have contacted my local Flir authorized repair company. I will try to get this fixed with them. The product is registered to me, but I don't have the original receipt, although I have all the original calibration documents, etc. If this fails I will contact Flir in Sweden directly and try to sort it out with them. I have also asked the seller to provide me with the original receipt if possible.

This was a total bummer for me. I drove 6 hours to get the unit and was so exited to use it... then this happened... Hope all this ends well.

Offline ollihd

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #8203 on: April 12, 2017, 07:32:25 pm »
One thing to note about the horizontal line is that they only appear after a cycle power off, power on. This is how I get them 100% of the time:

- Remove battery
- Insert battery
- Power on
- Wait for loading to finish
- Press power for 2 sec (power off/sleep)
- Press power for 2 sec (power on/wake up)
- Voila, horizontal line(s)
- Camera auto calibrates, lines disappear for a moment, and then...:
- Voila, horizontal line(s) again

So if I just remove battery, boot = no horizontal lines...

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8204 on: April 12, 2017, 07:58:42 pm »
My mistake. I missed that the lines are horizontal. That is not column failure. That is Row failure and the way you describe the fault it may be the image processing stages that are at fault and not the microbolometer. I suggest you still suggest that you suspect a microbolometer fault in your letter to FLIR though.

Sadly there is the potential for previous owner meddling in the camera software. A failed upgrade attempt ? It is not unusual for owners who cause issues with their camera during an upgrade, to revert it back to standard spec and sell it. If FLIR find the failed upgrade attempt to be the cause of the issues with the camera, expect a bill from them. The bill is normally around 400 Euros.

I think I saw this camera for sale on ebay and thought at the time that it was 'one to avoid'. A circle of cr*p showing on the standard 80x60 display is a very bad sign. It suggests someone has meddled with it as such a fault is not common in standard spec E4 cameras.

I am sorry that you now have it and its potentially expensive liability.

Fraser

Offline ollihd

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #8205 on: April 12, 2017, 08:06:10 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I made a quick video on how I can replicate the problem:
https://goo.gl/photos/Fn7DwcaZEBNkuoPR7

I bought this from a local seller in Finland. It was bought from a finnish Flir authorized company (the one I actually contacted).

The guy I bought it from didn't seem like the "hacking type", but who knows!  :-//

I'll let you know how it goes. I think I will try to re-flash the 2.11 once again to see if it would help (probably it won't).

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8206 on: April 12, 2017, 10:20:24 pm »
To me that looks like a microbolometer ROIC fault. The FFC event tries to compensate but the issue returns. No idea why different start up types have different effect on the fault. I suggest you pursue the fault repair as a microbolometer failure that has a 10 year warranty period.

If FLI decide to provide warranty cover I suspect you will be provided with a new/reconditioned camera. It will be loaded with the latest firmware version but whether it is the latest platform is impossible to know.

Good luck with getting it repaired.

Fraser

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8207 on: April 13, 2017, 06:45:27 am »
here you go:

2.11 upgrade files:

https://mega.nz/#!gFklHBzA!bgyRLzUBntGM6ytyK4i2OZKqBO3ikjvBALVHuUhpb8c

2.11 hack files:

https://mega.nz/#!NZdEkR6L!AkHtYi8MP7W7Px460a2Z9radSYQT9BrL9vJzF1KGKgQ

Are there any further instructions on how to use this ? I'm feeling very wary as I'm not familiar with all the python stuff and how to access the camera "as a drive"

Offline ollihd

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #8208 on: April 13, 2017, 06:47:35 am »
Have you checked the step-by-step (link in the first post of this thread)? As far as I can tell the procedure is the same for 2.11 as it is for the 2.3 for example. Best practice: always backup! (when you connect to the camera via. ftp the first time). By back up I mean: take all the files that you can from the camera (all will not transfer). I even backed up my legit 2.8 (no hacks) before upgrading to 2.11 (no hacks).

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8209 on: April 13, 2017, 06:48:59 am »
ok, err when you have a thread over 300 pages ling you don't assume that the first page still remaltes to the last :)

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8210 on: April 13, 2017, 06:49:58 am »
First page has always been updated to reflect the current status of the hack. Mike seems to keep on top of it all

Offline Xavier64

• Contributor
« Reply #8211 on: April 13, 2017, 06:50:26 am »
here:

http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/

or google it. Firmware update to 2.11 will also work with the official Flir Tools. Make sure that the Battery is fully charged.

regards

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8212 on: April 13, 2017, 06:56:04 am »
again given how long this has been going sometimes I worry I'm looking at out of date info and worry about dmaging the camera. What do you mean about it woring with official flir tools ? can I load the hack as an update ?

Offline ollihd

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #8213 on: April 13, 2017, 11:32:26 am »
Ok, good news!

I took the E4 to the authorized Flir dealer here in Helsinki (Vantaa). The only thing I needed to provide was the calibration certificate (to show that the unit is under 2 years old). The technician said that he suspects that the fault is in the "detector matrix" and that is what is causing the "lazy pixel rows" in the screen. He said that this kind of a fault needs to be fixed at Flir Estonia or Flir Sweden factory.

Everything went under warranty and I will get the unit back in 1-2 weeks.  :phew:

Offline Xavier64

• Contributor
« Reply #8214 on: April 13, 2017, 12:11:07 pm »
hopefully the old hardware rev. 1.2L . Flir do not produce the old hardware anymore. Now you will only get Hardware 2.0 with or without Wifi.

Offline ollihd

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #8215 on: April 13, 2017, 12:15:28 pm »
Hope so...  I'm hoping for component change vs. whole board. Is the 2.0 impossible to hack or is there some chance still?

Offline Xavier64

• Contributor
« Reply #8216 on: April 13, 2017, 05:07:44 pm »
amazon UK has a few 2016 units in stock. But not many... I think the market is empty.

Offline mario.ti

• Contributor
« Reply #8217 on: April 14, 2017, 04:03:06 pm »
hi everyone. I just bought E4 with no wifi. But the info in camera says it's a 3.5.0 firmware. If i searching a firmware in the Flir site, i have info the 2.11.0 is the newest. If i try to use a flirtools, it say, you have newest firmware.
Anyone know how to make  E4+ from it? :-) Does i just need to downgrade to 2.11, at first ?

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8218 on: April 14, 2017, 06:02:15 pm »
I can't get my camera into RNDIS mode, it's stuck on "UVC and MSD"

Offline Xavier64

• Contributor
« Reply #8219 on: April 14, 2017, 07:56:33 pm »
@mario.ti

it is not possible to upgrade this model. It only works on hardware 1.2L

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8220 on: April 14, 2017, 08:02:38 pm »
Simon, you need to force RNDIS mode on. Read back through this thread.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8221 on: April 14, 2017, 08:36:02 pm »
Um any idea on which of the 300+ pages it's on?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline Chanc3

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8222 on: April 14, 2017, 08:37:14 pm »
Search for permanent RNDIS, I'm on phone so cannot help more I'm afraid.

Online Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8223 on: April 14, 2017, 08:46:32 pm »
Ok will do thank you.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8224 on: April 15, 2017, 02:01:12 am »
Simon,

Just follow the steps listed on the http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/ site directly but use the 2.11 upgrade and hack files Xavier64 linked you to. The fubar site says its for 2.3.0 only, but the exact steps listed on that site work with the files Xavier64 provided on a flir that has firmware 2.11. I did the hack less than a month ago on a new Flir E4 that came with the 2.11 firmware already on it.

Edit: The fubar site has a section on switching the flir to RNDIS mode. This worked for me, but when I first did it, my computer and flir froze up for a while until I finally decided to unplug the flir from the usb, and as soon as I did, every thing unfroze. Then when I plugged the usb back into the flir, it was in RNDIS mode and it finished setting up with an IP address. The main thing is if it freezes during this step don't be afraid to unplug the usb to get it going again.

Edit2: Sorry, I didn't see that you were already on firmware 2.11. You don't need to grab the 2.11 upgrade file that Xavier64 linked to, because you are already on 2.11. You just need the 2.11 hack file. Then when following the fubar guide, in the section Prerequisites->6. Script Pack where it says to download the 2.3 hack pack, you can skip. And in the following steps where it says to use the 2.3 hack pack, you will use the 2.11 gotten from Xavier64's link instead. Everything else is identical to how the fubar site says to do it. The files/folders in the 2.11 hack pack are named exactly the same as the ones in the 2.3 hack pack, so its literally just following the instructions directly.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:22:05 am by CustomEngineerer »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf