Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769894 times)

Offline mario.ti

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8225 on: April 16, 2017, 11:36:44 am »
Xavier64

I keep my fingers crossed for the guys, in another topic, here.
The same as you, i'll try to help if needed

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #8226 on: April 16, 2017, 12:42:33 pm »

Edit: The fubar site has a section on switching the flir to RNDIS mode. This worked for me, but when I first did it, my computer and flir froze up for a while until I finally decided to unplug the flir from the usb, and as soon as I did, every thing unfroze. Then when I plugged the usb back into the flir, it was in RNDIS mode and it finished setting up with an IP address. The main thing is if it freezes during this step don't be afraid to unplug the usb to get it going again.

He just says to plug the camera in and use the fif file to set RNDIS mode but I can't get into it in the first place.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8227 on: April 18, 2017, 12:49:48 am »
So you are saying that you installed the FLIR device drivers, Flir Tools, Python 2.x (3.x won't work) first. Then when you plug the USB in what happens? Does windows install the device drivers automatically? If not are you sure you hadn't already done this previously? Then what happens when you run the FLIRInstallNet.exe program? Are you saying this doesn't connect to the camera? Or it does but gives some other kind of error when you try to have it load the Set_RNDIS_permament.fif file?

Sorry, if those steps don't work for you I'm not sure what else to suggest. I followed the fubar guide exactly (except used the 2.11 hack files instead of the 2.3 hack files) and it worked for me with only the minor hiccup that I had previously mentioned that required me to unplug the usb to continue.

Edit: This may seem obvious but better to mention it to make sure. When you plug the USB into the Flir, be sure to turn the Flir on.

Offline tokotak

« Reply #8228 on: April 18, 2017, 04:32:02 pm »
@Pauloven,

.................... I will then work on sorting out the image inversion in the Inframatrics X3 telescopes. Note that the Inframetrics Telescopes are circa 1980's but the optics are superb quality. These cost me around $150 on e*ay. Bargain lenses, even though they invert.

Aurora

As a happy new owner of pm595 I've read almost all your comments here with great interest. Though some questions remained.
How do you fit or plan to fit Inframetrics X3 on pmXXX series cameras? The mounts seems to be different.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8229 on: April 18, 2017, 05:14:04 pm »
I have a 7x12 lathe to make mount adapters :)

The Inframetrics X3 lenses have a removeable bayonet mount that is a thread fitting onto the lens body.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline tokotak

« Reply #8230 on: April 18, 2017, 08:34:45 pm »
I have a 7x12 lathe to make mount adapters :)

The Inframetrics X3 lenses have a removeable bayonet mount that is a thread fitting onto the lens body.

Fraser

I see. What are your findings on the Inframertics lens image circle? Is it bigger,equal or smaller then in original Agema/Flir design?
If the distance between the attached Inframetrics lens with the adapter and the main one allows the optical path to be perfect or just usable?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8231 on: April 18, 2017, 09:40:49 pm »
You really need to start a new thread if you want to discuss auxiliary lenses for thermal cameras.

I am not very active on this forum at the moment so my responses will not be quick

Fraser

Offline tokotak

« Reply #8232 on: April 19, 2017, 08:14:14 am »
You really need to start a new thread if you want to discuss auxiliary lenses for thermal cameras.

I am not very active on this forum at the moment so my responses will not be quick

Fraser

I agree this thread is not perfectly relevant. Meanwhile I dug out your excellent thread on Inframetrics lens here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/thermal-cameras-professional-telescope-and-close-up-lenses-by-inframetrics/msg759564/#msg759564

It answered my questions from above. So I'll continue there.

Offline god_ukr

« Reply #8233 on: April 21, 2017, 11:04:52 pm »
Hi everyone!

Can anyone point me where Flir E4 can be purchased with discount?
Before I used Zoro, but now Flir in exception list for discount :(

PM please

Offline Xavier64

• Contributor
« Reply #8234 on: April 27, 2017, 05:14:02 pm »
I want to sell my Flir E4+,  its brand new and still under warranty. Just PM me.

regards

Offline sofi

« Reply #8235 on: May 02, 2017, 06:28:15 pm »
Friends something new? Did anyone unlock 3.5.0?

Offline djeans

• Contributor
« Reply #8236 on: May 16, 2017, 09:43:44 am »
Hi Friends, I now have a 1.18.7 FW with 1.0 HW Flir E4.
is it possible to hack this one too and what files are required? This thread is really long. Can anyone point me please into the right direction

thank you :)
DJ
peace!

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8237 on: May 16, 2017, 10:52:08 am »
The very first post of this thread has links to specific areas of the thread for different versions of the firmware and hardware. You will find all that you need via the link that covers the 1.18 or 1.19 firmware. An update to the 1.19 firmware is not necessary in case you are wondering. Do not update to any firmwRe after 1.19 as they were created by FLIR to make the upgrade harder to achieve.

Fraser

Offline djeans

• Contributor
« Reply #8238 on: May 16, 2017, 02:15:23 pm »
Thank you very much Fraser, I followed the 1.19 guide for my 1.18.7 and worked very well.
So doing an update to 2.30.0 ist not required, right? An no benefit also, or?
peace!

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8239 on: May 16, 2017, 04:12:14 pm »
In my opinion, it is not a good idea to update the firmware beyond 1.19. I spoke to a FLIR tech and it was his view that any firmware after 1.19 was more about preventing the upgrade than fixing any firmware issue. He knew of no bugs in 1.19 that needed to be fixed as it was stable and fit for purpose.

I am a genuine thermal camera Geek and own two E4's. They are both running firmware 1.19. Never had a problem with 1.19.
IIRC 1.19 firmware was not released as an upgrade for 1.18. Worry not though, 1.18 is just fine.

Fraser
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:24:07 pm by Fraser »

Offline joe-c

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #8240 on: May 16, 2017, 09:04:45 pm »
FW up to 1.19.8 could be calibrated with the Webpage inside the camera.
and they are easier to "enhance"  :-+.

But FW above 2.3.0 have a Thermal Blending mode and can used for RAW Streaming (i never did, but some other with Linux).
Additional its possible to turn off all GUI stuff like scale and Spot cross, for a real thermal view (interesting for video recording over UVC).
And you can change the MSX Distance directly from the View-Mode-Menu.

i think both Versions are not bad  :popcorn:
Freeware Thermal Analysis Software: ThermoVision_Joe-C
Some Thermal cameras: Kameras

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8241 on: May 16, 2017, 09:40:03 pm »
@ Joe_c

I agree, there is nothing actually wrong with any of the FLIR E4 firmware versions (except the already identified buggy version that FLIR fixed quickly)

The versions that FLIR released after 1.19 sadly lost some OS functionality and had 'protection' added to make life harder for upgraders. It was understandable, but still a pity. The E4 is an amazing platform in terms of what it can provide for the purchase price, once upgraded. In 1.19 the configuration is so easy to customise that it may be 'tuned' to the users desired configuration. The ability to access the service menu is also a reason for me sticking with it. I do not need video streaming but that is certainly a nice addition to later firmware.

I tend to think it best to stick with 1.19 until a feature available in 2.3 is actually needed.

Fraser

Offline plurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8242 on: May 17, 2017, 04:05:38 pm »
I just noticed a new firmware version for Ex on the flir support site:

FLIR Ex (3.9.0) Update Pack
Last Updated: May 9, 2017
...  FLIR Ex series cameras (S/N prefix: 639). ...

I have no intension of upgrading to that.

Offline nos_com71

« Reply #8243 on: May 23, 2017, 11:17:57 am »
just to confirm ,steps to upgrade E4 2.11.0 1.2L went smooth only by using a vrtual XP , look for it in Microsoft site (WindowsXPMode_en-us) ,it free and easy to use.
good luck

Offline ollihd

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #8244 on: May 30, 2017, 06:39:01 am »
Just got my E4 back from warranty repair (previous posts show my problems). Well of course they updated the HW to 2.0L and firmware to 3.9.0. Is there any new news about getting this hacked or should I start selling my E4?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 06:54:27 am by ollihd »

Offline chili_red

• Contributor
« Reply #8245 on: June 03, 2017, 07:22:34 pm »
Does anyone happen to have the 2.11.0 upgrade file they could upload, the links I found in this thread are no longer working.

TIA
Steve

Offline nos_com71

« Reply #8246 on: June 04, 2017, 05:14:00 pm »
Does anyone happen to have the 2.11.0 upgrade file they could upload, the links I found in this thread are no longer working.

TIA
Steve
here it is .http://www.mediafire.com/file/04y50m19u4t0g1v/flir_ex_pn639_v2.11.0_update_pack.zip
good luck

Offline ollihd

• Regular Contributor
    • HeyDay Pro
« Reply #8247 on: June 07, 2017, 04:27:41 pm »
Does someone know if anyone is working on hacking the 3.5.0 or 3.9.0 FW? Would be happy to help as much as I can!

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8248 on: June 07, 2017, 06:30:18 pm »
There is an E4 Wi-Fi thread running in this sub forum. That is where I have seen the most activity relating to the new (2017 models) firmware.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg1178084/#msg1178084

From what I have seen via a cursory glance, FLIR changed the CRC algorithm used.

If this is the case, and it cannot be overcome, the hack will have come to an end. Then watch hackable E4 prices soar on ebay  ;D

Fraser

Offline mb100

« Reply #8249 on: June 09, 2017, 10:50:07 pm »
Hello: I am fighting a little bit with the Flir e4. Version 1.2L.

when I try to perform the ftool decryption, decryption fails on "tail part 2". I am not sure if I understand the c# code correctly, but I think that means an early step with a mismatch. I ftp,ed the file with the windows command line and also with core ftp lite (filezilla n/a for windows xp) - same problem so i don't think it is a potentially corrupted conf.crc file, but really the ftool itself that produces the error.

Can you advise if there is an updated ftools to be used for camera version E4 1.2L (not 1.22) sw 2.11.0

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf