Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769865 times)

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8300 on: October 01, 2017, 07:27:50 pm »
Hi. I got to repair a thermal imaging camera Flir E4. No image. No thermal image also   from the camera no image.  I can enter the menu. The computer sees the old photos. Firmware 2.11.0 . In memory contains the file - Z3comb_v2.11.0.fif, Z3comb_v2.3.0.fif and eFLIRInstall.exe and flir.db. I don't know the history of the imager. Maybe he changed the firmware. I think the problem is in the firmware. How to restore it? I don't know where to start?

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8301 on: October 01, 2017, 07:43:00 pm »
Uho,

I am no expert on the software side but I would not normally expect to find .fif files in the camera. I thought .fif files were what sat on a PC during an upgrade and were then installed by the FLIR install program.

I could well be wrong about that though. Others will advise.

The fact that two versions of firmware .fif files are present also seems wrong to me.

If they do not belong on the camera, they need to be removed. They would also be evidence that someone tried to upgrade the camera and did not really know what they were doing.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8302 on: October 01, 2017, 07:50:50 pm »
Yes. I think that someone incorrectly stitched the camera. This camera was bought by a friend on ebay. The files were in the folder FLIRUPdate.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8303 on: October 01, 2017, 08:05:14 pm »
Yep, no such update folder belongs on the camera. Maybe someone tried to run the FLIR update program on the Camera !

It would Be useful if you can list the various folders and files on the camera as we can then look for modification dates and missing files.

If you look through the cameras file system you will see which files have changed as their file date will be more recent than the majority on the camera.

Look in Appcore and Ui folders first.

Fraser

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8304 on: October 02, 2017, 09:41:06 am »
I checked the files. They were changed. And one more nuisance. I could not turn on the camera. She did not turn on. Loading started only after the memory chip was warmed up. :palm:

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8305 on: October 02, 2017, 10:25:26 am »
I have not checked but on first glance there appear to be be a lot of files in that root list that do not belong on an Excseries camera.... rdump, rclone etc. To me this looks like someone trying to investigate the OS from within the cameras OS. It is possible that it has a hardware fault and someone was trying to investigate it with Win CE tools and even tried a firmware update to solve the problem.

I am not near my E4 at the moment so cannot confirm my suspicions yet. I will check later.

Fraser

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8306 on: October 04, 2017, 01:44:22 am »
Yep, no such update folder belongs on the camera. Maybe someone tried to run the FLIR update program on the Camera !

Looking in the command file from v3.9.0 firmware update package there is a line:

Code: [Select]
Command:\FlashIFS\FLIRUpdate\eFLIRInstall -c \FlashIFS\FLIRUpdate\Excomb_v3.9.0\eFLIRInstall_MSD.dat
Which is an indication that FLIRUpdate folder and eFLIRInstall.exe both exist on the camera at some point as part of firmware update process. They may get deleted after successful update. The files still sitting there may be an indication of a failed update, e.g. because of power or communication interruption, etc
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8308 on: October 04, 2017, 07:53:52 am »
I found a picture in the camera's memory. Perhaps this was the reason for the flashing. I looked at the dates of the changes. .How to re-flash 2.11.0?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8309 on: October 04, 2017, 01:56:21 pm »
(As a side note, 2.3 already use public key cryptography to sign the configuration files, and had a chain-of-trust by verifying the hashes of everything that they boot. They just messed it up when they didn't implement MD160 correctly because they assumed "char" is an unsigned type - which it is on some compilers - but in fact it was signed. That allowed to patch files without changing their hash, and in turn allowed to remove the signature requirement for cfc files)
Many thanks tmbinc, i capitalized on your work to liberate the latest camera model :)

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8310 on: October 05, 2017, 01:47:23 am »
I found a picture in the camera's memory. Perhaps this was the reason for the flashing. I looked at the dates of the changes. .How to re-flash 2.11.0?

Why do you want 2.11, did you try updating to the latest applicable one? Did you try this procedure?

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8311 on: October 05, 2017, 05:25:57 am »
Thanks for the instruction. But I've already tried to use Flir Tools. Writes: this is the newest firmware for the camera. It does not allow to flash again. Perhaps  need a different version of the program?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8312 on: October 05, 2017, 05:38:08 am »
Try searching this thread for 2.3.0 update package or ask if anyone can provide one.

Offline cricri103

• Autozone
« Reply #8313 on: October 05, 2017, 05:53:55 am »
Hello Uho
I had the same problem as you
the thermal sensor has been cleaned
I thought there was a dust after dismantling the camera I clean the thermal sensor I found myself with the same problem as you
Not a software problem but rather because you disassembled the camera

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8314 on: October 05, 2017, 06:08:08 am »
The camera did not work in the assembled state. I think that there is a problem with the memory chip. Once the camera stopped turning on. I heated the microcircuit. The camera turned on. Someone tried to change the firmware, but it was not properly installed due to the aparat problem. I want to reinstall the firmware.

Offline BOGET

• Contributor
« Reply #8315 on: October 06, 2017, 02:08:29 pm »
Hi,

I think that might the VOx uncooled thermal sensor has a problem of connection,

please check the connector or the golden wire is broken which connect sensor signal to pcb.

BTW, if it's a firmware problem usually has two conditions,

1.signature check failed: your camera will never login again.(stuck in FLIR logo)

2.an older mixed new firmware: the screen will be like water stains on it. (It ain't completely no picture)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:07:41 pm by BOGET »

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8316 on: October 06, 2017, 07:17:35 pm »
Thank you. I'll check tomorrow contacts. But I think this is the problem of firmware. Not only thermal but also a visual camera does not work. As soon as I got it, he was hanging on the Flir screensaver.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8317 on: October 07, 2017, 02:42:19 am »
What the FLIR screensaver is ? The boot screen with FLIR logo ?

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8318 on: October 07, 2017, 05:04:36 am »
Yes. Only the Flir logo was on display. The first time I waited 30 minutes. Download has not started. Only after several attempts the thermal imager was turned on. Some of the functions did not work. Did not show the serial number. I saw the serial number only after warming up the memory chip.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8319 on: October 07, 2017, 05:54:07 am »
Can you switch the camera to RNDIS and ftp to it?

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8320 on: October 07, 2017, 06:00:22 am »
Can you switch the camera to RNDIS and ftp to it?
Yes. I gave photos.

Offline buildingscience.ru

« Reply #8321 on: October 11, 2017, 05:52:27 pm »
Please help: Is LCD in E4 custom or somehow standard, cause I need a replacement - some salty water got inside and corroded couple contacts in flex cable. Camera works via usb just OK, but not viewfinder.

(I'm not that sure in my ability to restore copper tracks, but had ordered microscope just in case)

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8323 on: October 15, 2017, 07:01:18 am »
What the "security researcher" should had known is Flir software calling home right under his nose.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg340063/#msg340063

He better ask Flir about that rather then about some accounts that may be there for service purpose.

Offline eg14

• Contributor
« Reply #8324 on: October 16, 2017, 06:29:02 pm »
Congratulations!

Let's say you won a lottery!

I would be just happy to have the same sensor noise value as you have!

Absolute record was something like 12.84 or so...
The absolute looser I am with 26.56

:)

You are much closer to the first than to the second :)

I think you are happy now!

Digging this one up from the grave, but I think I set a new low noise record with my E4

measureInfo.temporalMk double 12.779606

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf