Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769796 times)

Offline roma3210d

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #8475 on: November 01, 2018, 08:59:13 am »
Hi Pepe! Could you help me with E5 hacking procedure? What kind of method do you used?

Offline Zapro

• Contributor
  • Breaking stuff to go fix it again
« Reply #8476 on: November 08, 2018, 07:33:46 pm »
Yes it can be hacked. Look at the first post in this long thread for the required links. Firmware 2.1 has issues so I recommend that you upgrade it to firmware 2.3, but no higher version, then hack it as a FW2.3

Hi. Finally i found the time to give it a new try.
I upgraded my E4 from 1.22 to 2.3 per your instructions and that went well.
I followed the instructions on https://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4 for hacking the 2.3 firmware with "Flirreshack" and the Python script runs perfect and files are patched.
After hard reboot the resolution is /shit/ though. Like really blocky.
Gladly the backup it makes worked perfectly, so i could revert everything.

I tried re-doing the hack one more time, just to see if anything else would happen, but same result.

Reading comments on fubar.gr website, he says that some cameras just cannot be hacked and there is no solution. Do you have any better news for me? Any other guide/hack i could try with the 2.3 firmware?
I don't really care about the other menu functions, i just want the higher resolution.

Regards,
Per.

The following users thanked this post: roma3210d

Offline roma3210d

« Reply #8477 on: November 12, 2018, 02:15:02 am »
Same trouble. I'm trying to figure it out for couple years. :(

Offline samboman

« Reply #8478 on: November 16, 2018, 07:27:51 am »
Hey folks,

I have an E6 with 2.11.0 firmware. I searched through all the pages after the posting of the files for doing the upgrade on the 2.11.0 firmware, and I cannot find anything about doing this to the E6. I found a couple people over the course of the thread asking this same question, but nobody answered it :(

Does anyone know if this is simple to do?

I'm going to attempt to downgrade to 2.3.0 first, and see if I can do the update that way. If it doesn't work, what else can be tried?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:22:54 am by samboman »

Offline SilverSurfer

« Reply #8479 on: November 18, 2018, 12:04:39 am »
Hello Everybody,

--------   Is someone has the Firmware 2.3.0 for my E4 ?  --------

On the official web site today is ~5...   ( and no issues to upgrade with the last firmaware)

I would like to upgrade it with the official proces from 1.19 before the "upgrade on E8"

Is someone can help me ?

Best regards

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8480 on: November 18, 2018, 12:39:36 am »
I would recommend you stay at Firmware 1.19 !

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 1.19 and it is the last 'open' firmware before FLIR started playing games and removed the service Menu. If you go to 2.3 you will lose the service menu and its benefits.

Your choice of course, but Firmware 1.19 is a joy to work with when it comes to reconfiguring the Ex series.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline SilverSurfer

« Reply #8481 on: November 18, 2018, 10:36:56 am »
Hello Fraser,

Many thanks for your answer.

If I undersand well, the better choice for me, will be to keep this firmware and just follow the procedure with the E8.cfg file ?
- It will upgrade the resolution but will I have the other menus ?

SilverSurfer

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8482 on: November 18, 2018, 11:50:14 am »
If you upgrade a Firmware 1.19 camera you gain the full 320 x 240 pixel resolution plus the additional menu's as detailed in the upgrade instructions. You end up with a camera with more features than the E8.

Bud's menu enhancement goes a step further and provides more additional menu's but his upgrade is setup for the much later firmware builds. All details of the upgrades are in this thread and an 'index' appears in the first post in the thread. Happy reading :)

Fraser

Offline SilverSurfer

« Reply #8483 on: November 18, 2018, 01:04:07 pm »
Thanks Fraser,

If I try just to "unlook" the 1.19, I can goback on the original version by removing the E8.cfg, right ?

And after I can use an official upgrade to go the the needed version and "unlock again" ? (if needed in the future)

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8484 on: November 18, 2018, 01:22:59 pm »
The Firmware 1.19 is so easy to upgrade that it is also easy to revert the camera to standard configuration.
It can be returned to standard specification by re-inserting the original files that were saved by you as a back-up before the upgrade. You can even carry out a firmware update on the upgraded camera and the upgrade remains :) Warning - once you update the firmware beyond 1.19 there is no easy way back and you will be locked into FLIR bastardised firmware releases that were intended to stop the upgrade rather than add bug fixes.

Fraser

Offline SilverSurfer

« Reply #8485 on: November 18, 2018, 02:36:54 pm »
Many Thanks to you Fraser.

I've just updated it. The update process is increadibly easy and quick !

--- It works perfectly ---

and the display is definitively more accurate, now it's usable more like a real tool.

Have a good WE,  ;)

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8486 on: November 18, 2018, 07:57:47 pm »
Great news  :-+

Fraser

Offline scooter505

« Reply #8487 on: November 23, 2018, 12:09:12 pm »
Hey folks,

I have an E6 with 2.11.0 firmware. I searched through all the pages after the posting of the files for doing the upgrade on the 2.11.0 firmware, and I cannot find anything about doing this to the E6. I found a couple people over the course of the thread asking this same question, but nobody answered it :(

Does anyone know if this is simple to do?

I'm going to attempt to downgrade to 2.3.0 first, and see if I can do the update that way. If it doesn't work, what else can be tried?

Did you work this out?

I also have an E6 which i downgraded successfully from 2.8.0>2.3.0.

I've uploaded the modified config files with 6336 byte size (the python script defaults to the E5 config) however this messes up the thermal image with weird streaks. Taking photos causes it to display an error message. Reverting back to the original config fixes the issue.

Anyone know if the E6 needs a unique config?

Thanks

Offline Jane

• Frequent Contributor
The latest hack of Flir E4
« Reply #8488 on: November 23, 2018, 09:49:29 pm »
I followed tutorial at https://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/
but when trying to modify files with
 python apply.py apply 192.168.0.2
I received  the following error

= CONNECT TO FTP
= CREATING BACKUP DIR backup-20180509022127
= RETR /FlashBFS/system/common_dll.dll
raceback (most recent call last):
 File "apply.py", line 90, in <module>
   assert found, "UNKNOWN %s: digest/len is %s" % (name, h)
ssertionError: UNKNOWN common_dll.dll: digest/len is 75b37c3c755409cc355d2875eadfa128f8e6e27a1b2adf92273656a20ceb5037

Does it mean that my camera uses common_dll.dll of a  different len?

Firmware in my camera is 2.11.0
In which way must  files be modified?
Thank you for your advice
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 09:38:55 pm by Jane »

Offline johu

« Reply #8489 on: November 26, 2018, 03:58:23 pm »
Has anyone succeeded in modifying a E4 2.0L with firmware 3.13?

I have the following model:
Model: Flir E4 2.0L
Part Number: 63906-0604
Serial: 63903xxxx
Software: 3.13.0

Do I understand it correctly that there is not yet a decrypt tool/algorithm for the 'conf.cfg' file?

Is there a bullet proof way to downgrade the E4 to version firmware V2.11?

EDIT: Sorry, was too impatient and confused by the large amount of pages.   :palm:
Should have caught up with Bud's posts.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/thermal-imaging/flir-e4-wifi-resolution-and-menu-hack-thread/msg1397359/#msg1397359

Will thoroughly read from there on...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:40:26 pm by johu »

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8490 on: December 01, 2018, 09:19:45 am »
Hi
Someone after updating from software from version 1.19.8 to version 2.3.0. Did you get a full MENU?

Offline tester2222

« Reply #8491 on: December 02, 2018, 11:49:23 pm »
if anyone is still afraid to permanently hack his\her i3\i5 here is simple step by step guide

read post #524 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg321956/#msg321956

1. power on camera

2. press menu button once

3. press play (gallery) button for 5 seconds

4. switch to RNDIS usb mode

5. install flir drivers on your pc

6. connect camera to pc, give it a minute to install and start

7. connect to camera's ftp server at 192.168.0.2 user:flir password:3vlig with ftp client capable of passive mode i.e. total commander

8. make full backup of filesystem to a secure location

9. download mike's crc01 tool from this https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg321956/#msg321956 post

10. install some proper text editor i.e. notepad++ (and enable showing all characters in view \ show symbols)

11. open backup\FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfg

12. remove last line that says
Code: [Select]
# CRC01 ????????

13. replace number at the end of   ||.caps.config.image.settings.resIR int32 X||   with value from   ||.caps.config.image.settings.fpgaResolution.resIR int32 X||*

14. save changes as new file

15. use crc01 to calculate checksum of this file

16. open backup\FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfg file again, do the same resolution modification and replace checksum with calculated one

17. save changes as new file that you will upload to camera (in extra step i have changed attributes and date & time of new file to be the same as old one, but this is most likely unnecesary)

18. connect to ftp again, and upload created file overwriting one that sits in \FlashFS\system\appcore.d\config.d\conf.cfg (or check mike's post just under this one and let us know)

19. unmount & disconnect camera, use reset button in battery compartment to reboot it

it worked for me, i don't take any responsibility for anything but merely sharing what i did described as good as i could, do it at your own risk

Code: [Select]
* Z-cam has a detector with 80x80, 120x120 or 144x144 pixels.

Hello. I have Flir i3 with firmware version 6.5.3 - any metod to meansure and beter resolution not working.

Camera still see fabrical settings.

Where i can download old 6.1.3 firmware?

Or please give me working solutions.

Thank You.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 11:52:02 pm by tester2222 »

Offline george577

« Reply #8492 on: December 04, 2018, 06:33:47 am »
good afternoon friends. help with the modification of my camera Flir e4 2.3 firmware,model e4 1.1, partnumber 63901-0101. Flashing the camera according to the instructions-https://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/-appcore error.
updated to 2.11-the same error.
rolled back to 2.3 again the same.
I tried to modify the file conf.cfg, it does not work for me. maybe someone with straight arms will tell you which direction to go. Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8493 on: December 04, 2018, 05:27:23 pm »
Search this thread backwards for a latest post from user janekivi with update package attachments. It is using a different method for updating. Still may not work because my recollection it was for the hardware version 1.2L but you can try.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8494 on: December 06, 2018, 12:30:30 pm »
Has anyone succeeded, after upgrading from version 1.19.8 to ver. 2.3.0 get a full menu (extended) including hidden features?

Or is there any chance to go back to version 1.19.8 (I know a stupid question ...) :o

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8495 on: December 08, 2018, 11:49:33 pm »
Apologies if I'm asking for things that have been discussed too many times before, but I've scanned the last dozen or so pages of the thread and couldn't find the answers. Can the E4 now be unlocked from any firmware to full E8 specifications without any remaining limitations? And is the framerate always 9 Hz, or is that increased with the unlocking too?

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8496 on: December 09, 2018, 07:57:14 pm »
Frame rate did not change, you may have to read a bit more than a dozen pages to know that.  As to firmware version you will have a better chance for an answer if ask about a particular version number.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline stylius

• Contributor
« Reply #8497 on: December 10, 2018, 08:20:03 pm »
Hy. Sorry for stupid question but i need answer. I have flir e4. So if i want inspect mobile phone pcb, I need macro lens, or i can use only focus tool( without macro lens). 

Offline WeKeys

« Reply #8498 on: December 20, 2018, 09:22:17 am »
Hello to the lovers of Flir E4 thermal cam.

I just bought one :
E4 2.0L
with Software Version 3.13.0 NICE  |O
What are my possibility about hacking ?

I can access to the USB Mode choice, it is on UVC and MSD and i cannot change it to RNDIS nor anything else !

Could you help me about that ?
Can i downgrade to 2.3 ?
I have hardware to put the bios out  and a eeprom programmer, could i install a lower firmware like that ?

Thank you
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 10:00:43 am by WeKeys »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8499 on: December 20, 2018, 01:58:19 pm »
Frame rate did not change, you may have to read a bit more than a dozen pages to know that.  As to firmware version you will have a better chance for an answer if ask about a particular version number.
By now I read the frame rate discussion elsewhere, so I won't restart that one. It's a bit of silly limitation when equipment without the limitation is available freely from elsewhere, but it's what we'll have to deal with. Not agreeing with it doesn't change how things are.

I wasn't looking for a specific firmware version, I'm mostly just trying to figure out which versions are viable to buy and upgrade. I thought the issue with not being able to upgrade from some was fixed, but apparently it's not. That makes looking for a nice used unit slightly more complicated.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf