Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3787598 times)

Offline schalli

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #1450 on: November 16, 2013, 08:18:19 am »
Hello
Is someone here from germany who has made the hack with de e4?
I speak only german and it is very hard to made the hack without german "support".
Daniel

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #1451 on: November 16, 2013, 09:13:40 am »
Hello
Is someone here from germany who has made the hack with de e4?
I speak only german and it is very hard to made the hack without german "support".
Daniel

Ausnahmsweise eine deutsche Kurzanleitung:
Mike-Hack - e4hack3a.zip (Kameraauflösung, Netzwerkmodi):
- Zip laden
- E8 Vorlage-Datei editieren, dort den text XXXXXX am ende durch die Seriennummer der eigenen Kamera ersetzen
- CRC01.exe auf die bearbeitete Vorlagedatei anwenden
- Checksumme ans Ende der Datei eintragen
-> Keine Änderungen an Zeilenumbrüchen vornehmen!

Folgendes in eine ZIP-Datei zusammenpacken:
Code: [Select]
.\Flashfs\system\appcore.d\config.d\E8.cfg   (dort hinverschieben)
.\camera.cmd
Die Dateiendung von .zip in .fif umbenennen (ggf. Explorer Ansichtsoptionen umstellen dass Dateiendungen angezeigt werden)

Flir Tools installieren, die Kamera anschließen und "C:\Program Files (x86)\FLIR Systems\FLIR Tools\bin\FLIRInstallNet.exe" im Explorer suchen + starten
dort dann die erzeugte Zip(.fif) in die Kamera laden

Wenn alles geklappt hat, Kamera-Akku raus und wieder rein...
Auflösung sollte nun passen.

Menü-Hack
Die Menü-Pachtes sind Beta und vermutlich für dich nicht geeignet - die Installation geht aber so:
- RNDIS Treiber für Flir installieren (device_drivers)
- Kamera entweder mit Netinstall oder übers geheime Menü (10 Sek. "rechts" auf der Kamera-Infoseite in den Einstellungen drücken) in den USB-RNDIS Modus versetzen
- Im eingeschalteten Zustand anstecken - Windows sollte ein neues Netzwerkgerät erkannt haben - die Kamera-IP entspricht dessen default Gateway
- Filezilla nehmen und sich an diese IP verbinden - root und 3lvig
- Addmenu-Beta2 zip nehmen, Inhalt des darin enthaltenen FlashBFS Verzeichnisses über das bestehende in der Kamera "bügeln" (vorher: Sicherung machen)
- Batterie-raus/rein

Offline homr

« Reply #1452 on: November 16, 2013, 09:58:39 am »
Sorry for newbieitus. After putting in ser#, I am lost. 1.18.7 software here, any help greatly appreciated.

Offline Clint

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1453 on: November 16, 2013, 10:45:21 pm »
I was told these is no chain, they is the stock out there at the dealers and then stock coming from the manufacturing, currently there is a 4 week wait on that.

We found another 1 in stock in the US an brought it, just in case the new stock is fixed for now, and at £650 its crazy cheap.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
g33K5 L1k3 80085

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1454 on: November 16, 2013, 11:26:08 pm »
Received my E4 today, was shipped on the 13th directly from Flir Estonia to the dealer according to the papers stuck on on the box.
Firmware 1.19.8, patch worked fine :)

Honestly with the default resolution, I was not really impressed at all. With the full E8 resolution, it's a most fascinating toy & tool.
Thanks to Mike and all the other guys involved. This is just so great...
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline homr

« Reply #1455 on: November 17, 2013, 03:55:30 am »
Sorry for newbieitus. After putting in ser#, I am lost. 1.18.7 software here, any help greatly appreciated.
... and now babysitting

Remember the give a man a fish or teach a man to fish story? :-//
I am sure after I seen how to do this, I would realize how ez it is to implement. Either way, kudos to the mastermind Mike, your knowledge is amazing to me. I have been on the fence about purchasing a tic for years, the price and hack sent me over the fence.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1456 on: November 17, 2013, 05:37:36 am »

All steps are documented in the .txt/readme files and in this forum.
You don't need to read all pages (but it could help) - check out the main pointers placed in the first posting.

Explaining how to hold a mouse, how to click, how to turn on power to the computer, how to log on, how to start explorer, how to edit a text-file etc. would be an endless process - my experience is: it just takes a bit longer for newbies to figure out how to do something... so RTFM - if necessary: again and again :)

If unsure about RTFM, then google that acronym  >:D

Offline homr

« Reply #1457 on: November 17, 2013, 05:49:39 am »
Well thank you, I did rtfm and have read this post from ftb and then some more. I will head your advice and read the pointers in the first posting. I will figure this one out as I have others before. Thank you for your help.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1458 on: November 17, 2013, 06:00:24 am »
Question: Is it possible to use left/right/up/down keys in main screen to lock/unlock and adjust temperature scale (without going into menu)?

Once you're in manual temperature scale mode the left/right cursors will cycle submodes while up/down will change values.
Submodes are: move scale (move min and max together), move upper limit, move lower limit - noticeable by white or gray scale labels.

@XML - thank you very much! - such findings are greatly appreciated :)

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1459 on: November 17, 2013, 06:05:56 am »
Well thank you, I did rtfm and have read this post from ftb and then some more. I will head your advice and read the pointers in the first posting. I will figure this one out as I have others before. Thank you for your help.
Well, most other folks had little trouble following the instructions - my guess is you're stuck at opening a command line window and navigating to the correct directory where your hack files reside - but it's just a guess as your description does not detail your situation.

Offline homr

« Reply #1460 on: November 17, 2013, 06:28:18 am »
That is correct, I have learned the command prompt in windows 7 now. I have dragged and drop, then enter in the dos box. Still to no avail tho. Excuse my ignorance.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1461 on: November 17, 2013, 06:35:45 am »
That is correct, I have learned the command prompt in windows 7 now. I have dragged and drop, then enter in the dos box. Still to no avail tho. Excuse my ignorance.
try this:
open explorer, navigate to unzipped hack3a folder (containing crc01.exe) - hold down shift key while right-clicking on the folder - there should be a "command prompt" entry - use that one (else: type "cd /?" in the command window top learn something) ...
next you can type crc01 e8.cfg inside the command prompt and continue with the instructions

Offline homr

« Reply #1462 on: November 17, 2013, 07:22:42 am »
I am probably doing something wrong, when holding shift key down in unzipped e4hack3b, cant find 3a, on CRC01, a small dos window temporarily opens up, then immediately disappears. Now trying command prompt and path to file. I am trying...

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #1463 on: November 17, 2013, 08:51:24 am »
I am probably doing something wrong, when holding shift key down in unzipped e4hack3b, cant find 3a, on CRC01, a small dos window temporarily opens up, then immediately disappears. Now trying command prompt and path to file. I am trying...

I don't mean to be disrespectful but if you are not sure how to unzip a file or use the command prompt, it would be much better to call a relative who is good with computers, or perhaps pay someone locally to help out... it's really basic stuff.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline sipo75

• Contributor
« Reply #1464 on: November 17, 2013, 09:17:34 am »

The command prompt entry in explorer is an extension you most probably have not installed. It is not installed by default.

Just start with a command prompt.

Start->Run->"cmd.exe"
>cd %userprofile%\Downloads\e4hack3b (change directory to your extracted zip folder)
>notepad E8.cfg

At the end of the file, replace xxxxxxxx with the 8-digit serial number of your camera and save the file. Make sure there is exactly one CRLF at the end of the file.

Go back to the command line window.
>CRC01 E8.cfg

This will display a line in the form
# CRC01 xxxxxxxx
Add this line to the end of the E8.cfg

>notepad E8.cfg

Offline homr

« Reply #1465 on: November 17, 2013, 09:46:51 am »
No disrespect taken Corporate666, I am just trying to learn. I know zip file and extractions, now with Sipo75 (cmd.exe) suggestion, I might figure something out. I understand how aggravating it is dealing with someone learning remedial stuff. I thank you all for your efforts!!!

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1466 on: November 17, 2013, 10:45:43 am »
@Taucher:
I`ve found 2 faults in "toolbar-config_Z3.xml" in your "ADDMENU-BETA2.zip". When I open this file in my IE7 an error shown at line 43 and 44.
It`s quite marginal, but who knows, better bug free! (attached corrected file)
You also deleted the lines 4 and 5, especially the line ".caps.config.ui.archive.export.enabled <- set true".
This looks like a comment anyway, I just wonder if we're supposed to enable this capability via telnet or put it in some cfg file...
I must have overlooked this topic somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 10:55:21 am by 0xdeadbeef »

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1467 on: November 17, 2013, 01:00:42 pm »
You also deleted the lines 4 and 5, especially the line ".caps.config.ui.archive.export.enabled <- set true".
This looks like a comment anyway, I just wonder if we're supposed to enable this capability via telnet or put it in some cfg file...
I must have overlooked this topic somewhere.

I put in some pointers to the caps in case somebody wants to take further investigations and as a reference for myself - of cause the caps commands are comments and won't do anything in the config files. but you can use them over telnet and in .cfg files if you like.

the config file is performing evolutionary steps - for example that export function didn't work so I decided to strip it away again - same applies to zoom buttons, voice annotation etc.

plase also note that my time budget for hacking around in the menu stuff is a bit limited ... the menu hack is still
a bit away from stable and perfect.

... and lock/unlock without menu? I want to get an automatic prescale and then lock und fine tune. Ex. left to lock/unlock, right to cycle submodes, u/d to change
Or do you think it`s not possible?

You're free to try your luck hacking the ressources to remap the keys.
I was busy investigating how to cross compile .exe files that will run on the camera - with success (using windows mobile 6.0 SDK and VS 2005) ... but just "hello world" on gui+console.

If we could map a shellcall to one button (like back in main menu), then that would allow a completely custom submenu - without relying on the built-in stuff from ui-core.

Offline London Lad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1468 on: November 17, 2013, 02:42:34 pm »
fw 1.19.8 successfully hacked. Thanks to Mike and everyone else who has worked on this!

Offline tanntraad

• Engineer, Materials Technology
    • Insructables
« Reply #1469 on: November 17, 2013, 03:09:51 pm »
I saw in a previous post (Reply #1314) that Tequipment might get an "unhackable" batch of E4's from FLIR. Any info on this would be appreciated!
My order: Estimated Ship Date: 12/06/2013. I'm ordering from Norway.
Should I cancel my order? Maybe someone from Tequipment is reading this?

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1470 on: November 17, 2013, 03:16:27 pm »
I saw in a previous post (Reply #1314) that Tequipment might get an "unhackable" batch of E4's from FLIR. Any info on this would be appreciated!

That was my post. I have no information to specifically say that tequipment will be receiving a "bad" batch of E4's; what I was going for there is that there has been a report made that FLIR has already designed firmware for this camera that prevents the hack, and since the shipment from tequipment is in the distant future, it seems likely that by this time, the cameras shipped by FLIR will all have this crapware pre-installed.

It is possible that if you order from them you will still get a hackable E4, but to play it safe, I would highly recommend you look elsewhere first for "in stock" E4's. It will be sold out in most, if not all, authorized distributors, but perhaps some unauthorized sellers still have them. Just make sure the place is reputable.

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1471 on: November 17, 2013, 03:20:22 pm »
Sometimes it seems to me that this is a deliberate hack FLIR :)
Sales go like never before.
A company and so they buy Exx or Ex

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1472 on: November 17, 2013, 03:30:16 pm »
As I posted yesterday: according to the papers on the box, my E4 was shipped on the 13th directly from Flir Estonia to my dealer (who then just put it into another box and sent it to me). So obviously Flir Estonia currently delivers fresh E4s with firmware 1.19.8 to the dealers.

Honestly, it would be rather uncommon for a commercial product to change the SW in such a short time. Usually it takes weeks from an internal SW release until it can be used in production (validation processes and so on).

Offline tanntraad

• Engineer, Materials Technology
    • Insructables
« Reply #1473 on: November 17, 2013, 03:34:45 pm »
Thanks Olsenn! I see that Amazon has a few in stock. Local VAT and customs makes this a fairly expensive gamble so you're right -better safe than sorry.

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #1474 on: November 17, 2013, 04:03:36 pm »
Another successful hack, FW 1.19.8.

Bit different from Mike's instructions though, FLIRInstallNet would not detect the camera. I had to put the camera in RNDIS mode after installing RNDIS drivers on PC. Then FLIRInstallNet detected the camera with its default IP address and appeared to apply the hack via Telnet. Curiously, Flir Tools would detect the camera, but FLIRInstallNet would not.

This might have something to do with the fact that while I was downloading 500-odd MB of Flir tools, I was buggering about with the camera in RNDIS mode and FTP, and playing with all the different combinations of modes. Couple of PC hard resets and a few camera battery removals later, worked like a dream.

Thanks Mike! This camera, with its MSX, pisses all over my Ti10 for distances >1m.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf