Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3769309 times)

Online cynfab

• Regular Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #1950 on: November 28, 2013, 08:34:06 pm »
A bit more info about the defective camera.. I let it sit overnight and this morning noticed that when it first starts up, there isn't as much of a temperature gradient problem.  I took a snap when it started up and once a minute for the first 5 minutes.  You can see that the gradient forms when its internal electronics begin heating up.  This time, the inner aperture moved a bit and the gradient is now top to bottom.
These are all with the cover closed and the unit sitting still.
I'm curious to see what someone else's model does in the first 5 minutes of startup after sitting several hours to cool off.

If as Aurora says, your camera is defective, maybe you should try the FLIR-Tools update.

Nothing to lose if you are going to get exchanged/repaired under warranty. AND it may tell the rest of us whether the update is safe for the hack or not.

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1951 on: November 28, 2013, 08:39:19 pm »
A bit more info about the defective camera.. I let it sit overnight and this morning noticed that when it first starts up, there isn't as much of a temperature gradient problem.  I took a snap when it started up and once a minute for the first 5 minutes.  You can see that the gradient forms when its internal electronics begin heating up.  This time, the inner aperture moved a bit and the gradient is now top to bottom.
These are all with the cover closed and the unit sitting still.
I'm curious to see what someone else's model does in the first 5 minutes of startup after sitting several hours to cool off.

If as Aurora says, your camera is defective, maybe you should try the FLIR-Tools update.

Nothing to lose if you are going to get exchanged/repaired under warranty. AND it may tell the rest of us whether the update is safe for the hack or not.

That is a good idea!  Seeing you hafta rma it anyway. 

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #1952 on: November 28, 2013, 08:55:28 pm »
Hoping that they don't ding me too bad on the repair for mine... :(  Dunno if the dog yanking the cord was the issue or not, but can't just straight up claim warranty...

Lesson learned.. No picture transfers near the pooch...  (he is a tad rambunctious and got tangled in the usb when he jumped up on the couch  |O)
Did you remove the battery/hard reset the cam - and did you try the reset to factory settings funktion?

Offline Mr-Beamer

• Contributor
« Reply #1953 on: November 28, 2013, 09:40:01 pm »
I have the language file unravelled

There are some useful options described  :-+ like video and time lapse
I think we are missing a menu  >:D

And I think that the WIFI function only has a WEB encrypted option ??  :palm:

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1954 on: November 28, 2013, 10:00:54 pm »
I got a message today: New FLIR Tools Version
Should we be worried?

This is one of those times where you should actually read (I know) the EULA. If the new version is going to automatically update firmware files on your camera, you'll have to agree to it somewhere for legal purposes
Would be interesting to see if the InstallNet thing has changed - a change in that would be highly suspicious....
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1955 on: November 28, 2013, 10:01:33 pm »
Just to make sure I'm not missing anything, has someone unlocked wifi on the E4?

Offline neggles

• Contributor
  • I like to make things
« Reply #1956 on: November 28, 2013, 10:03:11 pm »
Just to make sure I'm not missing anything, has someone unlocked wifi on the E4?
Nope - it lacks the hardware to enable such a feature.

Offline iceisfun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1957 on: November 28, 2013, 10:30:12 pm »
InstallNet from 11/26

md5 B1E0E444F97ED212357A35AA71E29457
sha2 256 578A716CC9B790266EF92A14EAB09557D5BEC02152F3DF69FF49776B27C4DCD9

Offline funzt

• Contributor
« Reply #1958 on: November 28, 2013, 11:04:56 pm »
I got a message today: New FLIR Tools Version
Should we be worried?
Well, try out and tell us  >:D >:D
... just kidding ... why risk something? Old Flir tools are working fine.
True :) It would be way out of my league to mess with software on this level. I didn't save the complete ZIP of the last version but the new one's got a "terminatetrueupdate.exe" and it scares the crap out of an amateur like me.
I tested my cam with the updated flir tools ...no problems yet
did cold start...everything seems ok
@peter please help me in the 650 temperatur thing

Offline MrSquirrel

• Contributor
« Reply #1959 on: November 28, 2013, 11:06:11 pm »
InstallNet from 11/26

md5 B1E0E444F97ED212357A35AA71E29457
sha2 256 578A716CC9B790266EF92A14EAB09557D5BEC02152F3DF69FF49776B27C4DCD9

InstallNet v1.7.13241.1001 as packaged with tools v4.0.13284.1003
MD5 b1e0e444f97ed212357a35aa71e29457

Looks good :)

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
Regarding the new FLIR Tools...
« Reply #1960 on: November 29, 2013, 02:30:51 am »
Ok, I couldn't resist to stop this whole "guessing" about the new tools (what a waste of time):
Direct link: http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/update/flir%20tools/4.0.13330.1003/flir%20tools.zip

First let's take a look at the list of the last available updates:
   FLIR Tools / FLIR Tools+ 4.0 (4.0.13330.1003)
   FLIR Reporter 9.2 PRO, 30-Day Evaluation (9.2.13330.1001)
   FLIR Sensor Manager 3.10 (v3.10.0.0)
   FLIR Sensor Manager 3.10 (v3.10.0.0)
   FLIR ix v6.5.3 Update Pack (P/N: 6010X-XXXX)
   FLIR Exx P/N:645xx / 646xx (3.12.7) Update Pack
   FLIR Kxx (1.19.9) Update Pack
   FLIR Ex (1.18.7) Update Pack
   FLIR ResearchIR MAX 3.5 with SCxxxx and Xsc series drivers, 30-Day Evaluation (3.5.13277.1001)
   FLIR ResearchIR 3.5, 30-Day Evaluation (3.5.13277.1001)
... ok, as expected the tools got updated.. nothing exciting yet ...

Then let's look at the differences in newest Flir Tools - compared with previous version:
(unpack .zip, unpack .cab files etc)
Findings in short:
- Flir removed lots of old, binary stuff inside prerequisite directories (VCredist etc. - no Flir code)
- They kept language packs unchanged in size
- If something got changed, then mostly just version numbers, but not sizes for most files
- Only relevant changes are inside report generator and clearly office-report-integration-related
They just cleaned up some office integration with the new tools - so please stop panicking!

In more detail:
Inside flir tools.cab:
- file_FLIR_Tools_Updater.exe is  UPXed... but unchanged ...
- file_FLIR_Tools_Updater.dat (PKzip file, PW is "99B2328D3FDF4E9E98559B4414F7ACB9"  :-DD )
... got changed due to version information strings:
  _TUProj.dat-> old: "http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/update/flir tools/4.0.13284.1003"
  _TUProj.dat-> new: "http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/update/flir tools/4.0.13330.1003"
  that .dat file beeing some .lua script made by/for TrueUpdate 3.0 - whoever likes to take a look - now you know where...
  The URLs above seem to be some webservices or to require getting/posting some additional value
  Also possibly helpful: /CHECK_UPDATE_AVAILABLE_ONLY

Other files from the .cab:
DynamicDataDisplay.dll ... recompiled with new version info, no relevant changes
file_Flir.Configuration.Configurator ... recompiled with new version info, no relevant changes
...etc etc...
file_Flir.Modules.Common - gained some bytes
file_Flir.Modules.Organize - gained some bytes
file_FLIR_Tools_Updater.dat - changed size due to compression - see above ;)
GoogleAnalyticsTracker.dll <- WTF?!... excuse me - are we spying on our customers?! (same size, change just recompile/signed with up2date key)
--- NO other changes there in the tools ---

Inside flir word reporting.cab: 
- IRSummaryTable (minor changes)
- IRTable  (minor changes)
- RapidReportCreator.exe  (minor changes)
- WizardClassLibrary.dll (minor changes)
... plus some updates for version information - but no functionality

File: configureoffice.exe -> got removed...
Conclusion again: They just cleaned up some office integration with the new tools - you can stop panicking and stop comparing hashes now  ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 02:40:37 am by Taucher »

Offline Richard Wad

• Contributor
Re: Regarding the new FLIR Tools...
« Reply #1961 on: November 29, 2013, 04:04:51 am »
Nice Taucher
I see GoogleAnalyticsTracker.dll is in the previous version also
Without it in the progdir Flirtools crashes

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1962 on: November 29, 2013, 04:12:43 am »
Hoping that they don't ding me too bad on the repair for mine... :(  Dunno if the dog yanking the cord was the issue or not, but can't just straight up claim warranty...

Lesson learned.. No picture transfers near the pooch...  (he is a tad rambunctious and got tangled in the usb when he jumped up on the couch  |O)
Did you remove the battery/hard reset the cam - and did you try the reset to factory settings funktion?

At this point its now stuck on the Flir start up screen... Removed the battery but no go.  Is there another way to reset?

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1963 on: November 29, 2013, 04:37:51 am »
At this point its now stuck on the Flir start up screen... Removed the battery but no go.  Is there another way to reset?

:o That doesn't sound too good. What did you do to that poor camera? With a bit of luck it "only" hangs on trying to startup appcore. As in, if you had RNDIS enabled before mucking about you might still have ftp + telnet because these services are seperate from appcore + the gui with which you interact. If that is the case I suggest you do a full download of all files now. Yes, again even if you did that already in the past. And obviously to a seperate location so that you have both old and new situation.

It may just fail on some messed up resource / config file combination, but no way to be sure.  :-//

At any rate, if you are still having this problem after battery removal etc ... try ftp-ing all files.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1964 on: November 29, 2013, 04:46:18 am »
... got changed due to version information strings:
  _TUProj.dat-> old: "http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/update/flir tools/4.0.13284.1003"
  _TUProj.dat-> new: "http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/update/flir tools/4.0.13330.1003"
  that .dat file beeing some .lua script made by/for TrueUpdate 3.0 - whoever likes to take a look - now you know where...
  The URLs above seem to be some webservices or to require getting/posting some additional value
  Also possibly helpful: /CHECK_UPDATE_AVAILABLE_ONLY

Nothing as exciting as that. "http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/update/flir tools/4.0.13284.1003" is just the url prefix for where to grab the iso/exe/zip file. That XML you see is just because the other end is just some REST api serving binary blobs. And when you configure that mickeysoft style, you get that XML on a 404. :P

Relevant urls:
http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/update/flir%20tools/4.0.13284.1003/flir%20tools.zip
http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/update/flir%20tools/4.0.13330.1003/flir%20tools.zip

Offline Mikesus

• Contributor
« Reply #1965 on: November 29, 2013, 06:16:33 am »

:o That doesn't sound too good. What did you do to that poor camera? With a bit of luck it "only" hangs on trying to startup appcore. As in, if you had RNDIS enabled before mucking about you might still have ftp + telnet because these services are seperate from appcore + the gui with which you interact. If that is the case I suggest you do a full download of all files now. Yes, again even if you did that already in the past. And obviously to a seperate location so that you have both old and new situation.

It may just fail on some messed up resource / config file combination, but no way to be sure.  :-//

At any rate, if you are still having this problem after battery removal etc ... try ftp-ing all files.

No such luck... :( 

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1966 on: November 29, 2013, 06:42:59 am »
Mmmh... assuming no pebkac, that would mean either no RNDIS or something more serious. Do you remember what usb mode you had it in last?

Does it still list as an uvc video device? As in, when you use FlirInstallNet, and do a refresh, does it list any camera's? If you still have the UVC interface then maybe that can be used to fix things. UVC is available pretty early in the boot process, so hopefully some luck there.

If you tried that, and no luck there either ==> what is the USB device VID/PID?

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1967 on: November 29, 2013, 09:03:29 am »
Nothing as exciting as that. "http://cdn.cloud.flir.se/update/flir tools/4.0.13284.1003" is just the url prefix for where to grab the iso/exe/zip file. That XML you see is just because the other end is just some REST api serving binary blobs. And when you configure that mickeysoft style, you get that XML on a 404. :P
As you see I had added the direct DL link in my post ... so yes, I know that DL url ... but I'd suppose there's some mechanism to detect when a new version is available - and that version number can't be known by the old updater... well, time for a wireshark :)

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1968 on: November 29, 2013, 09:25:22 am »
As you see I had added the direct DL link in my post ... so yes, I know that DL url ... but I'd suppose there's some mechanism to detect when a new version is available - and that version number can't be known by the old updater... well, time for a wireshark :)

You also said "The URLs above seem to be some webservices or to require getting/posting some additional value ", which is the bit I was responding to. No webservice there. Definitely not at an url that already contains the version string in it. ;)

But running the update + wireshark should show you fast enough where it gets it's "new update available" information from.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1969 on: November 29, 2013, 10:20:24 am »

You also said "The URLs above seem to be some webservices or to require getting/posting some additional value ", which is the bit I was responding to. No webservice there. Definitely not at an url that already contains the version string in it. ;)

But running the update + wireshark should show you fast enough where it gets it's "new update available" information from.
...it does :)

Flir Tools on start:
   http://internalstore.flir.com -> StatusCode: 302, Moved temporarily -> Location:  http://www.flir.com/internalstore/
   http://www.flir.com/internalstore/ -> Http: Request, GET /,
   Query:/?productname=FLIR%20Tools&licensefileid=50040&licenseserialnumber=&computername=EXISTS&username=EXISTS/EXISTSALSO
   = Reply: HtmlPayload: <!DOCTYPE html ... <title>FLIR Tools</title> ... <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" ....

Flir Tools Updater:
   Ipv4: Dest = cdn.cloud.flir.se ... aka ....msecn.net (microsoft windows azure cloud I assume)
   UserAgent:  TrueUpdate 3.5
   Http: Request, GET /update/flir%20tools/4.0.13284.1003/flir_tools.ts1
   Http: Request, GET /update/flir%20tools/4.0.13284.1003/flir_tools.ts2
   Http: Request, GET /update/flir%20tools/4.0.13284.1003/flir_tools.ts3
   Reply contains an executeable file

I've detected no further traffic from Flir Tools - but note that I have an extensive hosts-file and might be blocking google analytics attempts this way - a second packet sniff would be helpful here :)

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1970 on: November 29, 2013, 10:53:08 am »
...it does :)

Flir Tools on start:
   http://internalstore.flir.com -> StatusCode: 302, Moved temporarily -> Location:  http://www.flir.com/internalstore/
   http://www.flir.com/internalstore/ -> Http: Request, GET /,
   Query:/?productname=FLIR%20Tools&licensefileid=50040&licenseserialnumber=&computername=EXISTS&username=EXISTS/EXISTSALSO
   = Reply: HtmlPayload: <!DOCTYPE html ... <title>FLIR Tools</title> ... <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" ....

Flir Tools Updater:
   Ipv4: Dest = cdn.cloud.flir.se ... aka ....msecn.net (microsoft windows azure cloud I assume)
   UserAgent:  TrueUpdate 3.5
   Http: Request, GET /update/flir%20tools/4.0.13284.1003/flir_tools.ts1
   Http: Request, GET /update/flir%20tools/4.0.13284.1003/flir_tools.ts2
   Http: Request, GET /update/flir%20tools/4.0.13284.1003/flir_tools.ts3
   Reply contains an executeable file
Yup, that looks a lot more sensible. :)

I've detected no further traffic from Flir Tools - but note that I have an extensive hosts-file and might be blocking google analytics attempts this way - a second packet sniff would be helpful here :)
Perfectly willing to help, but what do you expect to find?

Offline KingVidiot

• Contributor
« Reply #1971 on: November 29, 2013, 11:39:28 am »
Just a few more pesky questions before I run the EZCRC01 tool. I want to make sure I have a full untouched E4 backup before I upgrade.

In normal USB mode I copied all photos and hidden files as is to a folder. It seems like there should be more to back up than this.

I installed the Flir Windows driver, enabled the RNDIS + UVC on the cam, and tried to connect to the cam via 192.168.0.2. Upon connection the page showed but no files were listed.

I read that I need to do the RNDIS step for the menu hack, so It would be nice to get it working. However I want to get the res, etc hack working first. How do I do a full backup of the factory installed/user files?

The rest of the stuff looks easy, so as soon as I get a nice backup I can continue to install all hacks.

Thanks ahead of time for your help and patience.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1972 on: November 29, 2013, 11:58:43 am »
I installed the Flir Windows driver, enabled the RNDIS + UVC on the cam, and tried to connect to the cam via 192.168.0.2. Upon connection the page showed but no files were listed.

use whatever ftp client you like. ftp connect to 192.168.0.2, user=flir, pass=3vlig, grab all files.

Offline mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1973 on: November 29, 2013, 12:17:27 pm »

use whatever ftp client you like. ftp connect to 192.168.0.2, user=flir, pass=3vlig, grab all files.
I have found that not all FTP clients work - filezilla is fine
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1974 on: November 29, 2013, 12:21:10 pm »

I have found that not all FTP clients work - filezilla is fine

Now you spoiled anotherwise perfectly fine lesson on active/passive modes. I got tired of spamming "USE WINSCP IN FTP MODE BECAUSE IT IS SUPERAWESOME", so I went for "use whatever" instead. ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf