Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3796582 times)

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #2875 on: January 08, 2014, 02:12:12 am »
So I am kinda a security nut, I wanted to see some folks thoughts on incorporating this into a security system. I would just want a warning triggered on movement and then if the movement continues map it against some thermal profile to hopefully rule out small critters. I saw someone post a histogram based on the thermal profile and that might do the trick :)

My camera is not here yet but, am I crazy or do you guys think this is within reach?
One thing that I have noticed with the E4 (+) and probably other TIC's is that they do calibrate randomly (sometimes several times a minute, sometimes less... all due to temperature change), so this would be detected as motion unless you did some scene "crunching" to detect calibration cycles versus movement...
OR you just live with the change due to cal cycles.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #2876 on: January 08, 2014, 02:12:33 am »
So I am kinda a security nut, I wanted to see some folks thoughts on incorporating this into a security system. I would just want a warning triggered on movement and then if the movement continues map it against some thermal profile to hopefully rule out small critters. I saw someone post a histogram based on the thermal profile and that might do the trick :)

My camera is not here yet but, am I crazy or do you guys think this is within reach?
My gut feeling is, that you're way better off with normal PIR detectors. There are some really nice ones available - even with dual sensor setup to eliminate false alarms, small animal compatibility etc. Those devices are rugged and made for permanent use - if you want to use a FLIR E4 outdoors, then you'll need a new enclosure and so on ... that will ruin your day.

If a PIR detector is not suitable (relfections from street-traffic etc) then take a look at radar sensors - a good setup and they will ignore the cat, but detect any human :)

Sometimes a "simple" solution is just superior to a more complex one :)

Offline vapid2323

« Reply #2877 on: January 08, 2014, 02:20:53 am »

My gut feeling is, that you're way better off with normal PIR detectors. There are some really nice ones available - even with dual sensor setup to eliminate false alarms, small animal compatibility etc. Those devices are rugged and made for permanent use - if you want to use a FLIR E4 outdoors, then you'll need a new enclosure and so on ... that will ruin your day.

If a PIR detector is not suitable (relfections from street-traffic etc) then take a look at radar sensors - a good setup and they will ignore the cat, but detect any human :)

Sometimes a "simple" solution is just superior to a more complex one :)

Thanks! Yeah, you might be right perhaps I might play around for the fun of it. Thanks for the advice :)

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #2878 on: January 08, 2014, 03:50:05 am »
unfortunately the lens of flir E40 at macro distances (0,4m) is only sharp in the center

crop captured images before throwing them at super resolution algo
your result image has ghosting on the edges, is that the result of soft edges in source data?
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2879 on: January 08, 2014, 05:36:46 am »
Going back to pages 14x of this thread there was some talk on .image.targetNoise enabled/disabled and the mk value being changed from 135 to 5. I was re-reading some of it and didn't seem to come away with the best understanding of it. My question is - would it not give a clearer image if this was disabled or set to 0?

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2880 on: January 08, 2014, 05:41:51 am »
targetNoise ... would it not give a clearer image if this was disabled or set to 0?
My opinion (as stated above): yes

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2881 on: January 08, 2014, 05:46:28 am »
targetNoise ... would it not give a clearer image if this was disabled or set to 0?
My opinion (as stated above): yes

Wow that was fast. Followup Q - likely the best way of doing this is to re-role the e8.cfg editing:

.caps.config.image.targetNoise.enabled bool true
.caps.config.image.targetNoise.targetNoiseMk int32 5

should I just use

.caps.config.image.targetNoise.enabled bool false
.caps.config.image.targetNoise.targetNoiseMk int32 0

or just edit one or the other?

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2882 on: January 08, 2014, 05:49:10 am »
e8.conf

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2883 on: January 08, 2014, 06:02:04 am »
e8.conf

Thanks Taucher! I also had the chance to install BETA3 tonight. Lots to play with tomorrow now  :-+

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2884 on: January 08, 2014, 10:24:12 am »
Going back to pages 14x of this thread there was some talk on .image.targetNoise enabled/disabled and the mk value being changed from 135 to 5. I was re-reading some of it and didn't seem to come away with the best understanding of it. My question is - would it not give a clearer image if this was disabled or set to 0?
There is nothing special about 5 - the only reason it's 5 in my  template e8.cfg file is that I made 3 versions to test, with 135 (original value), 35 and 5  to compare the difference - I left it at 5 as I assumed there would be minimal difference  between 0 and 5, and a small amount of noise can reduce visible banding.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2885 on: January 08, 2014, 01:07:33 pm »
I posted here a sample for stacking images
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg363213/#msg363213

Testo published a nice paper for SuperResolution (super-sampling and deconvolution)

http://www.testosites.de/export/sites/default/thermalimaging/resources/downloads/Background_article_SuperResolution_EN.pdf
edit 17.08.2015: dead link, use attachment

you can see this effect on the pins of the LQFP64 (pin-distance: 0.5mm)

single image (see left side of chip - pins are different blurred)

stacked image (all pins are sharp)

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2886 on: January 08, 2014, 05:41:30 pm »
stacked image

Yet better result you should get by little shift every photo.
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2887 on: January 08, 2014, 07:00:44 pm »
 :) :)
I used a tripod and moved the cam a little while recording.

I record a RAW movie with Flir E40 with this commands (a batch script)
Code: [Select]
rset .image.services.rtrecord.filename \StorageCard\001.seq
rset .image.services.rtrecord.count 90
rset .image.services.rtrecord.frequency 30
rset .image.services.rtrecord.active true
delay 5
rset .image.services.rtrecord.store true

- with .image.services.rtrecord.active start the record (90 frames with 30 fps)
- the clip is stored in memory
- the command .image.services.rtrecord.store save the movie clip from memory to flash

I can't use a counter larger  as 160 frames -> the Flir E40 goes to out of memory

\>memory
           69% memory load.
     94,957,568 bytes total physical RAM.
     29,454,336 bytes available physical RAM.

after 160Frames = 24MB
\>memory
         98% memory load.
      94,957,568 bytes total physical RAM.
      2,727,936 bytes available physical RAM.

I haven't yet tried this with Flir E4

rls gives the same switches

.image.services.rtrecord: (6)
rw--rw------1- 0 root   root   <a> action                  "RECORD"
                 ["RECORD" "PLAYBACK"]
rw--rw------1- 0 root   root   <b> active                     false
rw--rw------1- 0 root   root   <i> count                         16
                 [2, 1000]
rw--rw-------- 1 root   root   <a> filename        "\Temp\default.seq"
rw--rw------1- 0 root   root   <d> frequency                     10
                 [0.01, 60]
rw--rw------1- 0 root   root   <b> store                      false

you can select a frequency of [0.01, 60;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:18:33 pm by tomas123 »

Offline calle

« Reply #2888 on: January 08, 2014, 08:53:38 pm »
Just got my Flir e4 today, hacked and ready to do some work! :)

Bought at Proffsmagasinet, Stockholm, Sweden
Modell    E4 1.1
S/N        639109**   ( leaving a few numbers out due to possible warrantyvoid.. )
Firmware 1.19.8

Thanks all you clever nerds whose work i prey upon ;)

edit: just found my cal-date
December 23 Estonia
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:24:42 pm by calle »

Offline daves

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2889 on: January 08, 2014, 10:53:44 pm »
I just rewrote Tomas123 flir.php for batch processing and without need of PHP. Its standalone EXE app. Only for Windows users.

Any one interested in testing and giving feedback before I will release public version ? I the other words, looking for tester :)
It is very first version I quickly put together today.
Batch Thermal Images Editor (JPG, BMT, SNP, IRI, ISI, IS2, PGM, TIF, IMG, BMP):  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-e4-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown/msg350556/#msg350556

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2890 on: January 08, 2014, 11:04:55 pm »
Nice work  :-+
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline randy

« Reply #2891 on: January 09, 2014, 01:40:16 am »
Guys I am not a teck guy. I just want to know what does "Make sure there is exactly one CRLF at the end of the file" mean. It is written in the description to hack e4 to e8. Thanks in advance.

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2892 on: January 09, 2014, 01:42:51 am »
Guys I am not a teck guy. I just want to know what does "Make sure there is exactly one CRLF at the end of the file" mean. It is written in the description to hack e4 to e8. Thanks in advance.
That's a linefeed-style (PC) - if unsure try my EzCRC01 (see footer)

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2893 on: January 09, 2014, 01:43:54 am »
I just rewrote Tomas123 flir.php for batch processing and without need of PHP. Its standalone EXE app. Only for Windows users.

Any one interested in testing and giving feedback before I will release public version ? I the other words, looking for tester :)
It is very first version I quickly put together today.

I vote for "post the code" - no need to be shy!

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2894 on: January 09, 2014, 03:27:55 am »
CRLF == end of line on a regular PC editor (aka notepad). Press enter at end of line and you just added a CRLF.

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2895 on: January 09, 2014, 07:09:55 am »
WOW has there been tons of research on the configuration files!!!
I took a look at the addmenu beta 3/design_ui_z3.xml and have a couple of questions about it.
1) can the section  <ui_model type="EmissivityMaterialSettingsModel" name="emissivityMaterialModel">
    <ui_model_item type="SettingItem" label="ID_EMISS_CONCRETE" value="0.95"/>
    <ui_model_item type="SettingItem" label="ID_EMISS_WATER_FROST" value="0.98"/> ....
be resorted alphabetically buy moving the lines around?

2)can I change the power options timers from
  <!--Submenu: Power Options-->
  <ui_model type="AutoPowerOffSettingsModel" name="autoPowerOffSettingsModel">
    <ui_model_item type="SettingItem" ID="POWER_OFF" label="ID_SETUP_OFF" radio="true"/>
    <ui_model_item type="SettingItem" ID="POWER_5_MIN" label="ID_SETUP_5_MIN" radio="true"/>
    <ui_model_item type="SettingItem" ID="POWER_20_MIN" label="ID_SETUP_20_MIN" radio="true"/>
  </ui_model>
to other times, such as 15 min and 60 min by replacing the values/

3) Is the backlight brightness for low/medium/high predefined in hardware?  I would like to change the low and medium levels if possible.

One more... where is the Flir logo "color" setting?  I wouldn't mind trying a very faint image being displayed.

Don't know if it is dooable, but when powering down it might be fancy to pop up a message to remind the user to close the lens cover, or is the power button control the power section of the camera.  Was wondering because a short push of the power button puts the camera in sleep for a while, but a long push (over 5 seconds) turns the camera off.

Thanks!!!!

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2896 on: January 09, 2014, 09:01:00 am »

Don't know if it is dooable, but when powering down it might be fancy to pop up a message to remind the user to close the lens cover, or is the power button control the power section of the camera.  Was wondering because a short push of the power button puts the camera in sleep for a while, but a long push (over 5 seconds) turns the camera off.

Thanks!!!!
I suspect the long button to power down may be a hardware, or very low-level software thing, just like on a PC. It would be good to have a way to tell if it had gone to sleep or power-off, but I suspect this would need to be done at a lower level than we're playing at.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2897 on: January 09, 2014, 10:17:48 am »
...fancy to pop up a message to remind the user to ...
I suspect the long button to power down may be a hardware, or very low-level software thing, just like on a PC. It would be good to have a way to tell if it had gone to sleep or power-off, but I suspect this would need to be done at a lower level than we're playing at.

Well, assuming it's windows I'd guess there's a powermanagement-API that we could try to hook, add an extra daemon to the startup-bat to wait and intercept the API call, then display a message and shut down after a timeout... but I'd be the first one wanting to remove that annoyance :)

Again a low-tech variant is probably more efficient: place a nice, visible sticker inside the storage-case next to the Ex's resting space.
Label it "Attention: remove battery / deep-sleep active?" - and the beauty is: one can even customize the look :)

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2898 on: January 09, 2014, 10:54:55 am »
1) can the section  <ui_model type="EmissivityMaterialSettingsModel" name="emissivityMaterialModel">
    <ui_model_item type="SettingItem" label="ID_EMISS_CONCRETE" value="0.95"/>
... be resorted alphabetically buy moving the lines around?

2)can I change the power options timers from
  <ui_model type="AutoPowerOffSettingsModel" name="autoPowerOffSettingsModel">
    <ui_model_item type="SettingItem" ID="POWER_OFF" label="ID_SETUP_OFF" radio="true"/>
to other times, such as 15 min and 60 min by replacing the values/

3) Is the backlight brightness for low/medium/high predefined in hardware?  I would like to change the low and medium levels if possible.

4) One more... where is the Flir logo "color" setting?  I wouldn't mind trying a very faint image being displayed.

@ 1): just resort them and see what happens - I think they were sorted by alphabet before I messed with them - anyway "never" used ;)

@ 2+3): I find the default values are just fine, but take a look at .power.setting (below) values below (telnet, command rls). You can replace the default settings by a new "model" that changes the wanted value directly - anything with ID_ is a pre-defined placeholder (defined in the language-files) and usually pre-associated with some value(in facet_ui_qml.dll), but the registry most times allows for entry of numeric values - best idea: first test by using rls/rset over telnet.

Define a SettingsValueModel, change the ID to something unique, label it, set min, max and step (better don't allow 0 as it would turn off the backlight), define resource="..power.settings.trueBacklight"
... then add that model-name to a menu entry where you like it - don't add it inside a RADIO list - you can take my humidity settings as example.

Strings:
AUTO_POWER_OFF:     ID_SETUP_OFF    ID_SETUP_5_MIN    ID_SETUP_20_MIN
DISPLAY_INTENSITY:   ID_SETUP_LOW    ID_SETUP_MEDIUM    ID_SETUP_HIGH

Low, Medium, High here are direct values inside the registry, which on change sets the true value (see below) - the situation is different with the auto-power-off settings.

.power.settings: (12)
 acOffTime                   1140 <- would be 19 minutes + 55 sec + 5 sec = 20 minutes
 acSysIdleTime                 55
 acUserIdleTime                 5
 battOffTime                 1140 <-- same here
 battSysIdleTime               55
 battUserIdleTime               5
 dumpActive                  true <-- write statistics, probably better get turned off in some .rsc.. but might have side-effects
 laserAllowed                true <-- useless :)
 laserEnable                false <-- useless :)
 screenSaverEnable          false <-- useless :)
 subjectiveBkl           "medium"  <-- allowed: ["low" "medium" "high"] .. sets the "trueBacklight" value
 trueBacklight                 40   <= 40% PWM, this is the value you'd want to fine-tune for better backlight control

@4) this has been discussed with another user already -  it's a ressource file manipulation (RCC) - I prefer not having the logo on, as it's no longer a "pure" FLIR ... not to forget that the logo takes away visible image pixels which were hard-earned ;)

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2899 on: January 09, 2014, 06:46:11 pm »

Thanks!!!!
hhmmm... yes probably correct... for as little as I know about what the E4 is doing and what the files do, I thought I might ask rather than play around... YET...  I am learning though!  Thank you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf