Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3787167 times)

Offline tmiller

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #3150 on: January 23, 2014, 08:49:55 am »
Hello folks,

Well, I have spent many hours reading through the 200+ pages of this topic and I am having problems installing the hack. Most likely it is due to my ignorance.

I have done the steps from page 33 including this:

"Install FLIR tools
Go to the install folder\bin
Turn camera on and plug USB in
Run FLIRInstallNet
Browse to your .fif file"

However, the first issue is Flirinstallnet.exe will not connect to the camera. It also gives an error when browsing to the .fif file of "IDS_Illegal_File"

I have checked the .fif file and it contains the dir tree and the camera.cmd files in the renamed zip.

The camera does connect to the flir tools and transfers images and the live video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Tom

Offline Taucher

• Frequent Contributor
  • 1DsaYDGWXEYhEKL rfrbFyYsehaAtfBWawf
« Reply #3151 on: January 23, 2014, 08:57:36 am »
...However, the first issue is Flirinstallnet.exe will not connect to the camera. It also gives an error when browsing to the .fif file of "IDS_Illegal_File"
Any help would be greatly appreciated. ..Tom
DId you compute your CRC01?

Offline larky

« Reply #3152 on: January 23, 2014, 09:29:42 am »
What software did you use to zip the files before renaming the file to fif?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3153 on: January 23, 2014, 10:36:58 am »
@Bovvy,

Thank you for including me in the prestigieous line up of Mike and Taucher with regard to FLIR camera enhancements. To be clear though, I have had no part in the development of any firmware related enhancements to the Ex series. I am not a coder, just a long term user of the technology in a specific application. Thanks for elevating me to inclusion along side Mike and Taucher in the same sentence though  :)
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline wilheldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3154 on: January 23, 2014, 12:27:24 pm »
IMHO the temp-range is something hackable in the E4 as well - at least the software does already work with Kelvin internally ;)

@Mike - this could be an interesting thing to check - if you still have sensor output grabable then I'd love to know if the signal maxes out or if there's headroom.

I would also like to know this.  I ran into the upper bound of the E4's range when checking if an oven heating element was on.  It just displayed ">536dF" once it passed the limit.  It would be great to be able to read into the 800 or 1000dF range.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3155 on: January 23, 2014, 05:31:45 pm »
I think the range is limeted from ADC.

My Flir E40 has two temperature ranges.
The cam switch to the the second calibaration value set with another slope of the regression line (digit pro kelvin).

I'm not sure, whether the E40 use a additional shutter (filter) for the extended range (650°C).
There is a click sound while switching the temp. range (like NUC).

Offline Bovvy

• Contributor
« Reply #3156 on: January 23, 2014, 05:50:17 pm »
@taucher, there was something about enhancing the Exx range but I as far as I remember the posters never returned to confirm any results.

@aurora, no problem, you have given me helpful responses and your 'useful thread' does have a link from the front page! Although I don't mean to undervalue others who have produced good work on this project!
You seem to have a selection of thermal cameras in you armoury, what do you do?

@Thomas have you looked at the E40's possibilities?

Offline tmiller

• Contributor
« Reply #3157 on: January 23, 2014, 06:04:57 pm »
...However, the first issue is Flirinstallnet.exe will not connect to the camera. It also gives an error when browsing to the .fif file of "IDS_Illegal_File"
Any help would be greatly appreciated. ..Tom
DId you compute your CRC01?

Hi Taucher,

Yes, I did the CRC per the instructions to the E8.cfg file. I have attached a copy of the .fif file with the extension changed back to .zip to permit attachment.

Do you see anything wrong with it?

Thanks for your help.

Offline Bovvy

• Contributor
« Reply #3158 on: January 23, 2014, 06:21:28 pm »
Hmm, interesting comment in the thread below (post 28) which i guess is from a seller. He seems to indicate that for a price, Fir can update an E40 to an E50 by sending it to the service dept.......

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f58/flir-e4-e5-e6-e8-85400/index2.html
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:27:03 pm by Bovvy »

Offline nazar404

• Contributor
« Reply #3159 on: January 23, 2014, 07:12:17 pm »
I am reposting this to all who are looking for the FLIR E4 , as TEQUIPMENT Hasn't received there shipment . For those who want it in one day.. GRAINGER.COM Is where I purchased my FLIR E4 in one day at full list of $995.00.  As I always purchase my toys form TEQUIPMENT.COM . 
I didn't want to wait weeks upon weeks..

Just figured I would post this and I checked the website and still In stock!

Offline Radget

« Reply #3160 on: January 23, 2014, 07:12:45 pm »

Thanks for the info on Vikuiti CV8 screen protectors a few pages back! Looks interesting. The "repair" function seems a little contrived, but actually covering a fine scratch with a screen protector obviates the scratch and I guess that is all they are really saying. Looks to be worth a try.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3161 on: January 23, 2014, 07:58:31 pm »
Yes, I did the CRC per the instructions to the E8.cfg file. I have attached a copy of the .fif file with the extension changed back to .zip to permit attachment.

It is in 7-Zip format, not the 'plain' old standard zip format.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline tmiller

• Contributor
« Reply #3162 on: January 23, 2014, 08:30:35 pm »

It is in 7-Zip format, not the 'plain' old standard zip format.

How do I fix it? Can you advise me what needs to be done? The original directions used 7zip to make the file.

Thanks very much.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3163 on: January 23, 2014, 08:45:40 pm »
How do I fix it? Can you advise me what needs to be done? The original directions used 7zip to make the file.

Choose zip for the archive format, not 7z where it defaults to.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline tmiller

• Contributor
« Reply #3164 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:05 pm »

Choose zip for the archive format, not 7z where it defaults to.

That was it. Wow, thanks so much for the help. It works fine.

Best regards,
Tom

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3165 on: January 23, 2014, 09:07:54 pm »
Reference temperature ranges and the possibility of filters/attenuators etc.

My industrial PM5xx and 6xx cameras have two temperature ranges plus the option of a third

Range 1 covers -40C to +120C
Range 2 covers  +80C to +500C
Range 3 covers  +500 to +1500C or +2000C depending on fitted filter/attenuator.         

The change between Range 1 and Range 2 initiates a full auto-recalibration cycle with the NUC shutter engaged. No additional filter or attenuator is inserted in the optical path.

Changing to Range 3 activates the mechanical insertion of a high temperature filter/attenuator to extend the measuring capability to 1500C or 2000C depending upon the filter/attenuator fitted. The camera then carries out a full auto calibration with NUC shutter activated

IIRC the additional filter/attenuator sits between the NUC shutter and the Micro-bolometer. I will upload an image of the PM series optical block so that readers may see the implementation.

Update: Image of PM570 optical block added.

In the image the parts are as follows, from left to right:

Micro-bolometer block / Hi Temp filter & mechanism / NUC shutter & mechanism / Focus Lens / Primary Lens.

The Hi Temp filter mechanism is operated by a motor via the silver disc that has a wire crossing its face. The NUC shutter is operated by a solenoid driven bell crank rotating a horizontal shaft to which the shutter is attached. Hence the loud 'Clunk' when these cameras operate the NUC. These industrial cameras are built to last in extreme conditions so are very much over engineered when compared to something like the Ex series. The NUC shutter is so much simpler in more modern consumer grade cameras ..... hence no loud 'Clunk'  :)  the focus lens is internal to the PM series cameras and controlled via a joystick and motorised linear actuator. The PM695 is the same mechanics but has a 'through the lens' auto focusing capability as well.

Finally..... the 1500C high temperature optional filter is fitted to all PM series cameras when manufactured. It is enabled through a software upgrade. An expensive mechanism to provide in every camera and then not use, but then these cameras cost a great deal of money and the activation of the Hi Temp option was an eye watering cost for just a software setting.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:36:21 am by Aurora »

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3166 on: January 23, 2014, 10:32:05 pm »
Thank you Aurora for taking the picture of your camera!  Very interesting how ruggedly built it is compared to the Ex's!
That alone shows the high price and ruggedness of the industrial line of Flirs!  Must add alot to the weight and power consumption also, although the motor and solenoid only operate for a short period.

Offline Bovvy

• Contributor
« Reply #3167 on: January 23, 2014, 11:05:22 pm »
Mike:

Fyi, on the e40, using the windoze ftp client, via the wi-fi connection, not hardwire, the uid of flir and pw of 3vlig works ok.
The www interface for the service menu uses the same uid and passwd as ftp.  Some of the service menues want a password,
3vlig doesn't work on them.  Also, nothing in my service menu about resolution, but lots of other adjustments.

Jim

Correction : FTP login flir / 3vlig does work, but not on all FTP clients - Windows command line FTP works, FTPsurfer doesn't

BTW flir/IRCAM doesn't work on web interface

Try username: admin
Password fliradmin

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3168 on: January 23, 2014, 11:15:38 pm »
@Pomonabill221,

The FLIR (nee AGEMA) industrial cameras have always been well made and at the forefront of the TIC industry. The case is very strong cast aluminium alloy with milling of areas within. There are two very high density PCB's inside the PM series. They run an MC68340 MCU and a dedicated video processing MCU. Superb quality and thankfully repairable due to the use of 'off the shelf' components and 'at-boot' programmed FPGA's. I would likely not be able to repair an Ex series TIC.... Progress ? Not on the user repair front.

The complete PM695 Camera with internal 13.2V 2.7Ah Ni-Mh battery weighs 2.4Kg (5.3lbs). Battery run time is around 2 Hours. A FLIR battery belt that accommodates four of the battery packs is available. I have these, and they provide nearly 8 hours of run time.

The FLIR E4 is much simpler to use and more comfortable to hold, due to its pistol grip shape and lower weight.

Regretably the E4 would not fair so well in the harsh industrial world of mining that my cameras came from. Each product has its intended application and ruggedness is the PM series middle name.

As an example - One of my PM570 series cameras suffered an unknown, but very severe accident during its working life. Having analysed the deformation to the case, it appears something heavy fell on it whilst it was tripod mounted. The underside of the case is dished in and the topside crushed down where the EVF was forced into the case topside. There is evidence of 'field repair' with a cold chisel being used to push out the top side deformation  :scared: And the camera still works perfectly as an accurate TIC ! FLIR make em tough  :)  Some day I will spend the time carefully straightening the aluminium alloy case but I am prioritising refurbishment of my other PM series cameras higher as they are in very good condition.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:19:34 pm by Aurora »

Offline maggiore

« Reply #3169 on: January 24, 2014, 12:32:17 am »
Hoping someone may have a little more information on what appears to be a recall of sorts for the e series cameras.  I placed an order the other day for a flir e4.  I called midstate instruments today to check the status and was I informed they had to send all of the e4, e5, and e6 cameras back to the manufacturer. Cited problems with the devices. They had to be retrofitted, whatever that means. Seemed like a recent development so I thought someone here might know what exactly the issue was. And if it might be related to the hackability of the current units. Hoping not. Great blog here,  thanks in advance.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3170 on: January 24, 2014, 01:04:06 am »
The only known 'issues' with the E4 relate to temperature accuracy, especially at temperatures below 0C and a possible quality issue with some LCD panels. I think we would have discovered any serious design defects by now and a safety recall, such as a battery charging issue, would have gone out to all owners, and not just a dealer. Sounds a bit extreme though as 'return to manufacturer' is in truth likely to be 'return to Estonia' !

I do not see FLIR recalling the whole series due to the user instigated enhancement issue or a minor production issue. It would be best to wait and see if the true situation comes out over the coming weeks. A change in build version should be the first evidence seen.

I somehow don't think I will be returning my E4 to FLIR any time soon  ;)

jlr134

« Reply #3171 on: January 24, 2014, 01:08:44 am »
Hoping someone may have a little more information on what appears to be a recall of sorts for the e series cameras.  I placed an order the other day for a flir e4.  I called midstate instruments today to check the status and was I informed they had to send all of the e4, e5, and e6 cameras back to the manufacturer. Cited problems with the devices. They had to be retrofitted, whatever that means. Seemed like a recent development so I thought someone here might know what exactly the issue was. And if it might be related to the hackability of the current units. Hoping not. Great blog here,  thanks in advance.

I just ordered one from Granger about 4 hours ago and was promised next day delivery. ( Thanks Nazar404 )
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:21:52 am by jlr134 »

Offline pomonabill221

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3172 on: January 24, 2014, 01:54:45 am »
Once again, thank you Aurora for the explanation about the industrial series and how they are MUCH more rugged than the Ex series.
It seems like (like what you said), an Ex would NOT stand up to the use and abuse that the PM had!  WOW... a cold chisel to straighten out the display?!?!?!? I guess some heavy handed metal worker didn't really know what he was doing and used the tool that he knew about!  OUCH!

All I can say is that for what I am going to use my E4  errrr.8 for will not see this kind of abuse and use, so I don't mind that it is made for "light duty"... NOT cheaply by any means though!

Offline hgg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3173 on: January 24, 2014, 06:55:46 am »
Hi,

There is a promotion until the 31 of March for FLIR products.

http://www.flir.com/thermography/americas/us/view/?id=62227

Would it be enough just to fill the online form, or do you need to mail them the actual
proof of purchase?

Thanks.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3174 on: January 24, 2014, 10:11:08 am »
You need to send them a copy of the proof of purchase receipt. I sent it by snail mail. Sadly mine was declined as I bought outside the USA. I preseume they will deliver teh free item to your USA delivery address only.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf